OKW - The Axis Commands HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsar
    ...However I am willing to consider the possibility that Russia would look on an invasion of Turkey as a serious threat to their security and move to block it with a declaration of war against us. This would of course be counter productive to the long term objective of keeping Russia out of this war so that we are only facing the Western allies.
    Perhaps but the pre-8/41 Limited War penalties might make them hesitant to act immediately. It would be a very interesting move, perhaps with the full weight of the Wehrmacht behind it??

Originally posted by tsar
    ...Rhodes is in the Eastern Med, which is completely controlled by the RN. The only way to re-enforce it is to gain control of Alexandria. Paraís could be flown in (actually no they canít it is to far from a supplied hex) -but-since it is out of supply they would die as soon as they landed. There is no such thing as MBTís in the game.
    Actually I think its the Agean but the effect is the same. The naval matters are largely abstracted and work quite well. They prevent either side from attempting things that their real life counterparts had no hope of pulling off. It effects both sides and does ensure the central Med stays open to axis shipping. Neither the Italians nor the RN can throw away their fleets on "trick" plays (not accusing anyone, btw).

Tsar can give his opinion but I like the system and the Germans can spice things up if they like (at the cost of UBoats) of course.

This game really is about dealing with the limitation faced by the actual nations and long term strategy. Option are plentiful but no nation can do anything and everything that can be dreamt up.

OK,.... on to Greece (for now) and retreat to Benghasi)

Cheers.
    Last edited by The Purist; 19 Dec 09, 13:38.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Is it at all possible for a latecomer to join in? Since you guys are kind of in a rebuilding and prep phase I felt this might be the time to throw my hat into the ring.

Thanks,

TacCovert4
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4
        Is it at all possible for a latecomer to join in?...
        That's up to the other members.

If they are ok with it,....
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Is it at all possible for a latecomer to join in? Since you guys are kind of in a rebuilding and prep phase I felt this might be the time to throw my hat into the ring.

Thanks,

TacCovert4

That depends on which side you want to join and how competent you are.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Well, I'd prefer to join the Axis powers. I'd also prefer a posting in the Mediterranean theater, but I wouldn't mind working in any availible sector.

And yes, I'm competent enough to assist in the war effort (the AXIS war effort).
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I'm trying to cover all things South, what we need is Someone to cover matters north and west, since we seem to have lost our member who had so many ideas about that area.

I say welcome aboard, and I would like to hear about any clever ideas you might have.

BTW- not having thrown away any divisions on a foolish march to Sidi Barani, I have no intention of retreating all the way to Benghazi!
              What are you talking about, anyway?

Comment

Oh crap....

Should have read the update first.
                Why were the Italian mobile units "powerless" to do anything?

Looks like the DAK, waiting for the war to come to them, won't have long to wait....

What's left of that Army now?

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist
                  ...Why were the Italian mobile units "powerless" to do anything?
                  The retreat from the border went well. Three infantry were inside Tobruch, four divs outside, the mech/motor units deployed to the south in the desert. The Brits hit X Corps (4 x 2-4) and drove them back NW of Tobruch and Brit armour isolated the port. The CW screened their desert flank against attack and the Italian armour and mech couldn't get odds better than 2:1 or so. Too risky.

The British pushed a bit further west, brought up another arm'd div and sent the infantry in to take the port. with Tobruch gone there didn't seem much point in staying in eastern Cirenaica so the infantry bolted for the rear along the coast while the armour is retreating across the desert ensuring the MSUs get away.

Looks like the DAK, waiting for the war to come to them, won't have long to wait....
                  Perhaps,... but Benghasi is only a minor port. If the RAF damages it, the axis div will need to move south to link up with the Tripoli pipeline.

What's left of that Army now?
                  Of 8 x 2-4 inf only four have been lost but the other four are utterly exhausted (-60% efficiency) and being shepherded back behind a panzer screen near Benghasi. One new Ital div has been shipped in so you're down three infantry divisions.

Not too bad really.

I'll post a screenie tonight before shutting down.
                  Last edited by The Purist; 19 Dec 09, 23:10.
                  The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    Well, I'd prefer to join the Axis powers. I'd also prefer a posting in the Mediterranean theater, but I wouldn't mind working in any availible sector.

And yes, I'm competent enough to assist in the war effort (the AXIS war effort).

Welcome aboard then.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• I'll post a screenie tonight before shutting down.

Okay, no problem. I'll go back to being smiling Albert and stick to general commands on a strategic level. (still kicking myself for not telling the Italians to attack just once and then jump back)

How much more airpower can I bring in without loosing the grip on Malta?

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                        I'll post a screenie tonight before shutting down.

Okay, no problem. I'll go back to being smiling Albert and stick to general commands on a strategic level. (still kicking myself for not telling the Italians to attack just once and then jump back)

How much more airpower can I bring in without loosing the grip on Malta?
                        You only need 5 aircraft to do port interdiction missions with a high degree of success. So anything over that is available to you in the dessert.

Comment

• Update 13/40 - Desert Decisions

As promised here is the screenie of the situation at the end of the axis turn on IV/12/40 (allied moves not shown). The Italian corps on the coast just finished forced marching to escape the British near Tobruch and by the time they reach Benghasi there fatigue will be approaching 60%. There is a Pz Div under the fifth Italian div on the coast. The Pz div to the far west is sitting on the approximate end of the German Tripoli supply pipeline.

It is assumed the British took up the pusuit and are moving along the coast and through the desert with a screening force entering the rough terrain of the 'Jebel' in the centre. With our interdiction the MSUs should make good their retreat as should the Italian armour. The infantry to the north is not out of danger if the Brits bomb Benghasi and force the Germans to withdraw south to stay in supply.

There are 56 German and 17 Italian APs plus 5 ATPs in the south. It is assumed this gives the axis a significant superiority as the RAF has not shown up. That does not mean it is not waiting to pounce only that it has not intervened yet. You Gents might want to start thinking about how much air to send east and if you want anything in the west to deter amphib raids by the Tommies in the spring.

<<Benghasi Gallop I>>

In other news,...

The Germans army deployed in the east has 6 divisions in E Prussia (AG North), 16 div in central Poland (AG Centre) and 8 div in south Poland (AG South). There also 12 Hungarian divs in poland plus some cav and motor brigades in Hungary. The Romanian army of 14 inf divs plus cavalry and Lt Arm is defending their border.

The Greek offensive will have 4 Pz, 2 Pz Gr, 1 6-10 Motor div, 14 inf div, 1 arty div plus 4 Bulgarian divs, 2 Bulg and two Italian motor bdes

OKW reserve consists of 4 Pz , 2 Pz Gr, 2 Pz bdes and 4 Infantry divs (all unassigned).

** Questions**

How do you want the army in the east distributed?

Should the Germans evac Benghasi before it is bombed or try to hold until the supplies arrive?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by The Purist; 19 Dec 09, 22:56.
                          The Purist

Comment

• Originally posted by tsar View Post
                            You only need 5 aircraft to do port interdiction missions with a high degree of success. So anything over that is available to you in the dessert.
                            Sadly, the last attack on Malta resulted in an AA hit, a lost AP and an open port.
                            The Purist

Comment

• Is interdiction the most efficient use of airpower in the desert?

Take what Airpower you want for elsewhere, unless they might possibly damage the RAFs raid on Benghazi.

Smiling Albert will have more on this later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                                Is interdiction the most efficient use of airpower in the desert?

Take what Airpower you want for elsewhere, unless they might possibly damage the RAFs raid on Benghazi.

Smiling Albert will have more on this later.
                                We're good for now. You can keep the AP's you have.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X