No announcement yet.

OKW - The Axis Commands HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to take control of the Baltic states, parts of Finland and eastern Romania, will Russia have to commit troops, or just roll in with a scrap of paper?

Comment

The Red Army need only roll into the Baltic States, Poland and Bessarabia as events occur. The Russo-Finnish war is not actually fought,... too hard to equal the results and there would be nothing to stop the Red Army from crushing Finland entirely (you guys will be too busy with the allies and the allies won't care about Finland). No one could force the Red Army to be as stupid as the historical players.

This way the Finns are guaranteed to be there two weeks after Barbarossa even if they aren't totally committed to the cause. The Russian must still deploy troops to the front and that is good for the main German effort coming from the west.

There was talk in the development stage of allowing the Russians to ignore the R-F war but this was found to allow the Russians to deploy all those troops to the Polish frontier and the Germans job even more difficult. If there is no R-F war Finland would never have got involved in WWII.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

From the Reich' Ministry of Production

A Few Production Tips

While tsar may already be aware of these I thought I would let you folks know of a couple early war production tips that I have developed during the years.

Battle of France –

Tsar’s infantry program is similar to my own. The French army (or rather the French players) are not going to make the same mistakes as their counter parts in the OTL. German infantry is the ‘mace’ of the German army while the Pz and Pz Gr force is the sword. Lots of infantry will be required for France and beyond. That being said, there is a need to expand the Pz force and this can best be accomplished by converting some of the Pz Gr divs currently on the map. This is much cheaper than converting a 6-5 infantry and replacement 8-8 mech divs can be then be converted from 6-5 inf divs as desired (again, cheaper than Pz divs).

MRPs - are the best ways to keep Pz divs in the field. A suggestion would be to start building 1 per month in 1/40. This will help keep the panzers up and running in France and provide spares for any units sent to Africa when Italy joins the fray.

In my opinion APs are a prime requirement. In 1940 the French and British will average about 6 AP per month. German cannot match this total until Lille and Brussels have been captured and brought on line as well as conquering more minor states (Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg) for the looting. Even then new aircraft production will lag. Therefore, I usually buy as much aircraft as I can throughout the Sitzkrieg and battle of France period. The benefit here is that those lost in combat to the allies can come back at ˝ price towards the end of the campaign year and these totals do surpass the British reinforcements (but do not expand the over all LW strength).

Where ATPs are concerned I usually like to have 50% more ATPs than I do airborne troops. ATP attrition can quickly find your paras are without means to drop and assist in assaults. It might be worthwhile to slowly bump up the ATP total before the next campaign.

Naval builds, with the exception of 11/39 I always add something to the naval program. It does pay dividends. By 1940 it is necessary to spend at least 10 points per month, maybe 20 points every other month if losses begin to occur, in order to stay ahead of the game.

Some general information- Germany counts its functioning Mfg Centres and multiplies this number by the Prod Mult.

Current Mfg Cntr – 18
        Prod Mult in 1039 and 11/39 – 2 (36 production; plus looting)
        Prod Mult in 12/39 and 13/39 – 3 (54 production; plus looting)
        Prod Mult in 1/40 through 13/41 – 4 (72 production; plus looting)

Once Brussels and Lille are on line the base German production in 1940 and 1941 would increase to 80 Prod Pts.

Just some thoughts

Edit: By the way,... I also like to start between 2 and 4 new division cadres every month. The army must grow to meet future needs. Of course, if things get messy in France we can concentrate on rebuilds until it makes sense to expand further.

Edit Part II: I assume the same production as the tutorial. 3 x Uboats, minimum air, max out the infantry?
        Last edited by The Purist; 27 Nov 09, 13:56.
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

10/39 Update

Sitrep 0/10/39

Poland and Denmark fell without loss to the army.

OOB - 7 Pz, 7 Pz Gr, 52, Inf, 13 Inf Cadre, 1 cav cadre, 2 Pz Bde, 2 RRU, 3 ATP and 23 AP. Fleet has 5 trnpt, 4 U-Boat, 2 SURF.

New production - 3 U-Boat, 4 AP, 2 ATP, 3 x 2-5 Para, 18 x 6-5 inf, 6 x 1-(5)-1 Static inf (for relieving combat divs of garrison duty in Poland and Denmark), 1 RRU.

As per note from Chief of OKW, 5 divisions currently on the Yugoslav border will begin invasion in I/10/39. Pz and infantry forces are en route to reinforce.

End Report.
          Last edited by The Purist; 27 Nov 09, 23:14.
          The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            Sitrep 0/10/39
            As per note from Chief of OKW, 5 divisions currently on the Yugoslav border will begin invasion in I/10/39. Pz and infantry forces are en route to reinforce.

End Report.
            WHAT ?!?!?
            Who wound up being Chief, and what the hell are we invading the Jugs for?

Comment

tsar is Chief of OKW so far as I understood things

The Yugoslav invasion is being undertaken to gain more looting points for the economy. The army should be in and out in about 8-10 weeks (barring mud weather) and enough troops are being committed to keep losses down to a minimum. Considering the weather in northern Europe will preclude operations there this is not a bad move.

More to the point, why leave all those economics points laying about until 1941 when you can scoop them up in 1939? Besides, this will give the Italian 1-4 garrison divs something to do (hunting partisans in 1941+ with the help of 2-3 German divs).
              The Purist

Comment

Yugoslav Update

II/10/39 brought unseasonal rains that slowed the momentum of the Yugoslavian operation. Troops already fatigued from the Polish campaign are resting for the period II-III/10/39. However, fresh infantry forces will continue operations near Zagreb to push back Yugoslav screening forces.

When the autumn rains do arrive in 11/39 the troops will again rest and as soon as the ground hardens the final drive on Belgrade will commence. If all goes well the campaign should be over by the end of 12/39 but most certainly by the end of 13/39.

In other news.

The Soviet Union has begun occupying eastern Poland as per the Ribbentrop-Molotov agreement of Aug.
                The Purist

Comment

11/39 Production?

Before we get to the 11/39 production cycle do you have any special production instructions.

Production Point totals will be:

37 Mfg/113 Pers Points:

There are now 18 x 1-5 cadres plus a possible 4 x 6-5 Cadres if you wish (on stand by for conversion to Pz, Pz Gr or Motor Inf divs). Minimum expenditure on APs is 11 points, max is 18.

Keep in mind the need for German MSUs (not quite yet, too expensive) that will be needed in mid-1940 for Africa

An answer today would be good. This would allow the progress to move forward another month or two before the weekend is over.
                  Last edited by The Purist; 28 Nov 09, 14:36.
                  The Purist

Comment

I would put all that we can into building up the 1-5s up to full power, but for now I will continue to defer to Tsar on this.

In the South, I would commit as much air power as is needed to keep things rolling and to keep Allied reinforcements out.
                    Does this operation mean that Italy is in the war now? Might be better if we could keep them out for the time being.

Comment

Italy is still neutral,... the Yugoslav party is an all German affair.

I got a PM from tsar,... just waiting on a clarification before continuing on into 11/39.
                      The Purist

Comment

Yugoslavia falls ahead of schedule

Thanks to two clear weeks during what is supposed to be a muddy month we have knocked Yugoslavia out of the war earlier than expected. The fall of Belgrade in IV/11/39 netted some extra prod. and pers. points which were put to use. We did lose two divisions reduced to cadre but these losses can easily be made good by the looting.

Of more concern was the double reinforcement result in the U-Boat War. While there was nothing that could be done about that occurrence at least no U-Boats have been lost. There is a good chance to make up for 11/39 in 12/39 because of the number of U-Boats no at sea (6). The KM can also commit a SURF point as a raider each month if things get desperate in 1940.

Sitzkrieg has taken hold and unless I hear otherwise I will push on to the end of 13/39 as before. I will publish a full update for the OoB and what is in production at that point.
                        Last edited by The Purist; 23 Jan 10, 14:08.
                        The Purist

Comment

Go ahead and finish the year out.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Present OoB consists of.

10-8 Pz x 8, 8-8 Pz Gr x 2, 6-5 Inf x 70, 1-5-1 Static x 6, 1-3 (Cav) x 1, 3-8 Pz Bde x 2, 2-5 para x 3, RRU x 3, 26 AP, 3 ATP, 5 Trnpt, 5 U-Boat, 3 x Surf.

By 6/40 the following will be avaliable (this does not include production for 2/40 - 5/40)

– 17 AP, 3 ATP, 2 x 10-8, 4 x 8-8, 8 x 6-5, 2 x 6-10, 1 x 4-5 AL , 1 x 2-5 Para, 4 x 1-5, 1 x MRP, 1 x MSU

There is no way with the present production capability to produce 32 armoured and mech formations,... it is beyond Germany's means at this time. Including planned but not yet executed production, by 6/40 there should be 12 Pz and 6 Pz Gr divisions plus 4 Para reg’ts and 2 AL divs. Right now it is planned to continue to build 1 MRP each month throughout 1940 to keep the Pz divs in the field. MSUs will be built at the rate of 1 every two or three months so as to ensure there are enough to support any African deployment in 1940.

There are currently 11 6-5 and four 1-5-1 divs on garrison duty in Poland, 2 x 1-5-1 in Denmark and 1 more 6-5 in Yugoslavia. There are 13 more 6-5 deployed in the West Wall positions facing the French fortifications.

<<West Front Intel map>>

Note that the allies appear to have deployed reserves in depth at Rhiems and near Arras and Cambrai. There is also a grouping behind the left wing of the Maginot Line. This suggests a line of defences of some depth running from the Luxembourg border to the English Channel.

General Production Philosophy

It is hoped to expand the Pz and Pz Gr arm to 16 and 8 divs respectively by the end of the campaign year 1940 and to have 20-24 Pz div and 12-16 Pz and Pz Gr divs by spring of 1941. However, the army is quite short on infantry ( by about 35-40%) so it is strongly recommended that the next six to eight production cycles concentrate on expanding the infantry arm as much as can be afforded without ignoring other essentials.

What about Africa?, asks a colonel on the OKW staff planning board

– should an African detachment be considered to aid the Italians, the maximum 10 divs should be deployed but not at the expense of the Russian campaign. Germany should be able to spare (and maintain) a mixed force consisting of the following: 4 x 10-8 , 2 x 8-8, 4 x 6-10 as well as 4 or 5 MSUs to maintain a major supply line from Tripoli to the Egyptian frontier.
                            Attached Files
                            The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                              I would put all that we can into building up the 1-5s up to full power, but for now I will continue to defer to Tsar on this.
                              I guess I should have been cleared about that, I am advocating for the expansion and elevation of Infantry units.
                              I am also advocating the build-up of truck-mounted infantry units, there ought to be two for every three Panzer units, minimum.

As for Africa, it all depends on what sort of set-up we can get going with the Vichy. Those brigades that have no other use might be useful down there.

I have a number of proposals that need to be made is secret, I'll do it in PM day after tomorrow.

Congrats on the Yougoslav adventure, that worked out much better than I imagined it could. Now all we need to do is keep the Partisans down and insure that no Allied beachhead forms there.

Comment

Still unhappy with the northern Fall Gelb option, would prefer to explore southern options... but don't have a viable alternative at present that surpasses even the obvious flaws.
                                Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X