OKW - The Axis Commands HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the loyal fans of the OKW:

I feel at the moment that ceding the entire balkan coastline to Allied control, which would essentially occur if we abandon both of our southerly fronts (Istanbul and Greece), is inadvisable. Opening up territory both for Turkish statics to redeploy and hold us in place, Allied troops to land and establish a strong logistics base, and greek/allied/partisan forces to unite would create a true emergency situation.

I have a suspicion that the Allies would like to avoid the East/West war for the moment, and have concentrated their amphibious resources on linking up with the Red Army, and combining their forces to roll over the East front both from the East and South.

Therefore I am advocating that we hold the line in Istanbul and Greece for the moment, and release those lines either upon an actual amphibious operation, or when we believe that we can more adequately utilize our forces in the defense in a more northerly sector.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Priority for reinforcements will go to AG A in the Balkans. Come spring the amount of divisions arriving will begin to increase and both France and Yugoslavia will benefit. There has been no sign of the US troops since there landings in Sicily. Suspect their next large scale move will telegraph Allied intensions.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Is Tsar still a member of our team?

I would like his input, since I think that staying immobile will cost is the game within a matter of weeks.

Comment

• So far as I know, yes, he is till your CoS.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• hey is that a large stack of Allies in that port hex in Albania ?

Comment

• Yes they are.
              The Purist

Comment

• So if the German remain mobile it going to force them to give up ground correct and in the end force them cover more ground.

If they stay fixed they risk being cut off by a US landing correct.

Did I analyze this correctly.

Comment

• It is more a question choosing to hold the forward line to prevent the early link up of the Greek and Albanian forces near Thesalonike. The keeps the two allied forces separate and less powerful individually. The risk is an allied landing in Thrace that isolates the units further south (or Turkey, which isolates Istanbul). There are pros and cons to both arguments.

The allied infantry divisions are both more mobile and stronger than the German while the armour is a close match. Allied air superiority also imposes risks as it can slow the movement of German unit. That being said, a pull back to Thesalonike would, potentially, "un-cork" the bottle and allow the allies to use their mobility to good effect and pick apart the German lines piece by piece until they collapse.

Its a tough call.
                  Last edited by The Purist; 06 May 10, 19:57.
                  The Purist

Comment

• See my group post.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      It is more a question choosing to hold the forward line to prevent the early link up of the Greek and Albanian forces near Thesalonike. The keeps the two allied forces separate and less powerful individually. The risk is an allied landing in Thrace that isolates the units further south (or Turkey, which isolates Istanbul). There are pros and cons to both arguments.

The allied infantry divisions are both more mobile and stronger than the German while the armour is a close match. Allied are superiority also imposes risks as it can slow the movement of German unit. That being said, a pull back to Thesalonike would, potentially, "un-cork" the bottle and allow the allies to use their mobility to good effect and pick apart the German lines piece by piece until they collapse.

Its a tough call.
                      Thanks for the basic run down it what I was kind of thinking.
                      I know from my experience playing the demo trying to withdraw in any ordered fashion is a tough thing. I think no matter what the descions is the Germans are going to lose troops falling back.

Comment

• I am thinking of buying the game. I hope it works on my old box here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          I am thinking of buying the game. I hope it works on my old box here.
                          If I had a spare 60 bucks I would probally get it. It seems like there enough people to get a game or two going. The demo was fun and really made me appreciate all the work Purist is going through moving all those stacks.

It also gave me a much better understanding of what going on in the game.

Comment

• Its not perfect by any means, which is why some "house rules" are necessary to prevent ahistorical romps (unless you are looking for ahistorical romps) but with a few in place the game give one a good feel for the operational side of the war. The realisation that decisions, once made, and events set in motion in one direction, cannot be easily changed is an important one.
                            The Purist

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                              Its not perfect by any means, which is why some "house rules" are necessary to prevent ahistorical romps (unless you are looking for ahistorical romps) .

Nevermind

Comment

• Update 3/43 (minus Eastern front)

The allies have landed, as expected in northern Greece, establishing two large beachheads east of Thesalonike. The Bulgarians defending the coast exacted a heavy toll in British tanks before being forced to withdraw. Very heavy Allied air interdiction in AG A's sector.

Political Point Level = 40

Startegic Warfare

U-Boat War - Normal, 2 U-Boats lost, 2 received from new production. The allied ASW tech is becoming more efficient and losses are likely to match new production for most of the year.

Strategic Air War Lille, Cologne and Dortmund attack. 1 hit, 1 bomber lost, one interceptor lost. Some lost production but both Brussels and Dortmund repaired. Current Interceptor strength is 6 AP West, 2 South.

Tactical Air War

German - 28 West, 10 South, 17 East
                                CW - 54 West, 45 South
                                US - 42 West, 26 South
                                Russia - 9 East

Ground Reinforcements (new and rebuilds); 3 x 6-5 Infantry, 2 x 5-5 Mtn, 1 x 11- SS Pz Gr.

Deployment

Denmark - 2 x 1-5-1
                                Holland - 2 x 1-5-1
                                Belgium - 3 x 1-5-1
                                France - 6 x 10-8, 3 x 8-8, 3 x 7-10, 10 x 6-5, 8 x 1-5-1
                                Italy - 6 x 10-8, 3 x 8-8, 12 x 6-5, 4 x 5-5, 1 x 1-5-1
                                Albanian Front - 13-8, 11-8, 7 x 6-5, 1 x 1-5 cadre, 4 Bulg 2-4, 2 x Bulg 1-10, 2 x Bulg 1-3, 2 x Hun 2-4, 1 x Hun 1-6
                                Greek Front - 6 x 6-5, 3 x 1-5-1, 4 x Bulg 2-4
                                Turkish Front - 6 x 6-5, 4 x 1-5-1, 2 x Bulg 2-4

France is fully garrisoned with 30 dvisions (Map 1), Belgium Holland and Denmark are also garrisoned. Belgium has one extra static division that is currently deployed in a coastal fortification on the south bank of the Scheldt Estuary. The allied airforce is carrying out heavy reconnaissance active along the coast from Calais to Lorient. Intel places at least one full corps ( 3 divisions and one brigade in Dover). Current allied amphib capacity is two divisions.

Down in Italy (Map 2) the British have crossed the Rapido and pushed the line back to Anzio just south of Rome. If it is agreed to abandon Rome, the line could be retreated up the coast to a line running from just south of Piombino in the west to Pesaro in the east. This could free up 4 or five divisions. OKW to advise.

In the Balkans the Americans and Free French have launch an attack to the southwest in the direction of Thesalonike (Map 3). This looks like it is clearly aimed to link up with the new allied landings in Macedonia. There is currently insufficient force to hold the line as it currently stands but it will be possible to delay the allies for a short while longer. It is suggested that the forces in central Greece begin an immediate evacuation and reform a line based on Thesalonike. Recent Intel places at least three CW armoured units in southern Greece. If possible, all six divisions in Germany should move immediately to this front. Allied air interdiction is very heavy.

The 12 divisions in Turkish Thrace (Map 4) are in no immediate danger and it should be possible to maintain this position for at least one more month if not longer. The weather will determine the pace of operations effecting the deployment in this area.

<<The Western Front, late winter 1943. Note the allied corps at Dover>>

<<The Allies advance slowly in Italy but Rome is still German>>

<<The Balkan Front in Crisis. US and French attacks south-east from Albania while CW forces land in Macedonia. Allied air interdiction is very heavy.>>

<<The Turkish front is quiet.>>

Attached Files
                                Last edited by The Purist; 09 May 10, 22:22.
                                The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X