No announcement yet.

OKW - The Axis Commands HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was expecting a counter-offensive, but that is a big block of troops down there.
    Time to take a second look at Sealion, how much of the Brit army can be left guarding the home isle? Ireland first might be a good option too.

Anyhow, it looks like I have two options to suggest to Rommel- Either throw a cordon around Tobruk, or take it in a rush.
    What he would be thinking now; surrounding the 4 hexes that the whole UK army has bunched into .... it might seem tempting, but if they have an MSU with them and they can function independently, its probably a sucker play.

I leave it to the man on the ground (who knows the mechanics of the game) to decide how to proceed.

Did they really divert 2 Divs to take Rhodes? I want some detailed recon of Malta, lets find out what units are really there... must be some Italian Commandos out to make a name for themselves. I want so "tounges"...

Italy also has some fast BBs with 15" guns, why don't they nip out and take a quick shot at Gibraltar, just to see what they can hurt.
    You know, Tokyo-express style.

How many more points to we need to get Turkey or Spain in the war?

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      How does Saturday or Sunday sound for a live-chat conference? We need to formulate a coherent, over-all strategy and divide up the responsibilities.
      I work 12.5 hours Saturday night and will be sleeping Saturday in anticipation of that. So Saturday isn't really good for me.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist
        I was expecting a counter-offensive, but that is a big block of troops down there.
        Time to take a second look at Sealion, how much of the Brit army can be left guarding the home isle? Ireland first might be a good option too.
        Ireland is out of range of all LW support and the fleet carrying the invasion force would be blown out of the water. Sealion, if OKW diverts production to Amphibs right now (4/41) could be attempted in spring 1942.

Right now the army is deployed defensively in the west, semi-defensively in the east (ready for anything) but the majority of AGS is deployed for Operation "BF".

Originally posted by Exorcist
        Anyhow, it looks like I have two options to suggest to Rommel- Either throw a cordon around Tobruk, or take it in a rush.
        What he would be thinking now; surrounding the 4 hexes that the whole UK army has bunched into .... it might seem tempting, but if they have an MSU with them and they can function independently, its probably a sucker play.
        Not only that but the distances involve in that encirlement would exceed two hundred miles and require an army larger and more mobile than the axis force presently there.

Its a melee. It is now the end of 3/41 and a British corps was just crippled (3 x 7-10 sent to the rear and the Polish Carpathian brigade destroyed). Now, the Germans also lost in that engagement (an exchange) so more replacement points are about to be spent. The Italians, surprisingly, are holding their own. Fatigue is becoming a factor but the same would apply to both sides. This series of battles may be determined by who has more stamina.

...Did they really divert 2 Divs to take Rhodes? I want some detailed recon of Malta, lets find out what units are really there... must be some Italian Commandos out to make a name for themselves. I want so "tounges"...
        Yes they did, the Italian division on the island reported the 1st and 2nd Canadian divisions had splashed ashore. One of those divisions was reduced in the fight so the Italians collected their pound of flesh. The last air reconnaissance of Malta showed four units, type unknown. As reported back in 1940 there was a fortress garrison, a divisional cadre and a brigade of Czechs. What the last unit is is anybody's guess. It is assumed the divisional cadre is now a full division. The axis currently have 2 German AL divs, 4 para reg'ts' and 2 Italian para reg'ts in theatre. Of these about half are ready for action and the other half will be ready by 5/41 (they just completed an op in the desert in support of the army).

How many more points to we need to get Turkey or Spain in the war?
        You need 70 but the PP total is 60. AT this point you might pick up a +1 if Greece is conquered. However, the greatest value in political points is in Russia. The more personnel centres (certain Russian cities) the more prestige to the axis.

OKW may want a full blown review of strategy. Rather than wait for a live chat session why not make use of the social group (make sure Tac gets his invite). I will hold off on the production cycle for 4/41 until Friday (after the Christmas truce ) Or,.... you can swap PMs if the invite must wait on Kryses' return

Perhaps Tac can PM Khryses?

In the meantime, I am available to answer any questions.
        Last edited by The Purist; 24 Dec 09, 22:31.
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• At the moment, considering my current forces, I am considering nothing more than some minor regional redeployments. My redeployments have been noted in a PM. Note my commander's intent please, and attempt to redeploy the units faithfully to what I have decided will be the West's concept of operations for the next few months.
          Last edited by TacCovert4; 24 Dec 09, 20:49.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Doing my best to keep up my understanding, though feeling way out of my depth to advise aught.

Oh, and invite sent
            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by tsar View Post
              I work 12.5 hours Saturday night and will be sleeping Saturday in anticipation of that. So Saturday isn't really good for me.
              Sounds like Sunday is not good for you either, better pick a day - any day this week is good for me.

Krys & Tac- lets go ahead with Saturday, got a time in mind yet?
              I will be in and out all day.

How does the live-chat work here? Never used it myself.

Comment

• I will be in and out as well. I've got a date around 4pm EST (US), so I'm thinking about something earlier in the morning.

And I've never used live chat here either, so we do need to figure that out

Comment

• I'll be here from about 2-3 your time, which is noon here, and I'll try to hash it out then.
                  Gotta be somebody here that has used it before.

Comment

• I agree, someone has to have used it before, of course I can't even find the live chat function here at the moment. I can be on at 2, and I'll probably be getting off around 330 to leave (The affairs of state must take precedence over the affairs of state ).

If someone can show me where the live chat function is on this thing, we can get going. Otherwise, we might be able to set up a chat on some other chat room (alternate possibility).

Comment

• I have msn, but thats a very old one and Im not even sure I still have access.

Anyhow, I sent a message out on our social group. And since today is a bust, when else can we try this?

Let me know if the Group thing worked.

Comment

• I got the social group message. And I'll be online Sunday night 6pm to 6am monday EST, if you want to try it.

I've also noted a few important (and sensitive) things in the long-term strategy thread. I agree with what you said, but I think there are a couple of things that need to be done before we can get to that point.

Comment

• Like what?

Send me a message with the details, and use the group line, so you dont have to repeat it too much.

Comment

• Note To Purist: Current plans are active in the Group/Long Range Planning. Those should tie you over until final plans are complete for the next stage in our glorious ascension.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Note To Purist: Current plans are active in the Group/Long Range Planning. Those should tie you over until final plans are complete for the next stage in our glorious ascension.
                              Our what?

Okay, we have the next few months mapped out, and a general idea of the rest of this year.
                              THat is about the best we can do right now, and detailed full-board coverage will help us stay organized in the future.

Comment

• Update 5/41

Good evening, OKW,

Well,... 4/41 was not kind to the Axis armies, navies or airforces. Thankfully, the Gawds of War were only slightly less cruel to the Allies.

To begin with the Pz troops that were reduced have now been rebuilt but their disorganisation level is currently quite high. The second Pz Corps that screened the retreat is alo quite fatigued but it will make it back to El Aheila intact. The light Italian mechanised corps was not so lucky. It was set upon but three allied corps during the retreat and shattered. Poor Centauro Arm'd Div is gone for good and only Trieste mech has thus far been rebuilt. A bit later on the 37th Modena, inf div also got chopped up as it fulfilled the role as rear guard.

The two Italian infantry corps corset laced with the German infantry divs have managed to hold together and are now commencing a retreat along the coast. Axis airpower is helping cover the retreat with ground interdiction but the balance in the air is no longer so strongly in favour of the axis. The RAF has returned in strength and is definitely making a fight of things.

The death toll in Africa stands at 5 Italian 2-4 Inf divs, 3 x 3-6 Mech divs, 1 x 4-6 Ital AD destroyed with 3 x 10-8 Pz, 2 x 7-10 Motor and 1 x 6-10 Motor reduced. On the allies side they have lost 6 x 7-10 Motor reduced and a 3 x 10 Motor Bde destroyed (the Polish Carpathian Bde).

As far as allied strength is concerned it is estimated that there may be six full corps sized stacks now in Africa, perhaps seven. Each appears to contain two or three divisions plus a brigade so that is roughly 14-18 divisions plus four or five brigades. It is difficult to tell for sure as units keep moving about, for example the Canadian Corps has been identified in Libya. Air recon of Britain did not tell us much but if Dover is typical there would appear to be two or three units per port defence but probably only one is a full strength division. Too strong for an airborne assault to take on.

In the air the Germans lost 18 AP and destroyed 12 Commonwealth. At sea a UBOAT was lost but immediately replaced from new production.

Speaking of production, due the nature of the combat in Africa and likely to occur during BF, the production of MRPs will be increased to three every two months for the remainder of the year. Three IRPs will continue to be produced. Does OKW want Flak units to begin production or would you prefer to wait a few more months.

Oh, yes,... that cavalry cadre is still hanging around. Should it be built into a divisions and sent to Yugoslavia to fight partisans (or Poland, or Holland, or wherever)?

A few screenies from Africa detailing the troubles

<<Early in 4/41 the army goes over to the defensive. Four allied corps are spotted here with one other known to be further south in the desert>>

<< It looked for a moment that the defences west of Tobruk might hold and the British back off but they pushed and forced the desert flank to retreat>>

<<The British hit the coastal flank at the end of month and has driven the infantry corps northwestward. This view is just before the attack and the mobile formations in the desert will have fallen back while the supply pipeline is beginning to contract on El Agheila.>>

Attached Files
                                Last edited by The Purist; 27 Dec 09, 22:43.
                                The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X