War in Europe - Staff Officers Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in Europe - Staff Officers Wanted

Ok,… at the risk of creating train wreck I have decided to offer all of us WWII nuts a chance for a bit of fun (that’s why this is here and not down in Alt Hist,… at least for now). Last winter I purchased Computer War in Europe (CWiE) but did not get around to actually loading it until recently. The folks at Decision Games did an excellent job. With all the “what if” and other discussions about the war I thought I would offer to moderate a campaign game where the mob here forms the three high command staffs.

Now, the game is far too involved for any team to actually control the movements of particular units (the game scale is division and brigade with 33 km hexes and weekly turns). Instead the staffs will design grand strategy, over all troops deployments, production decisions and who and when to invade (if you are the axis). This means I’ll have to do the actual movement of the units and resolution of the battles. The game system isn’t perfect (none are) and it won’t prove or disprove any theories but it does have some interesting historical restrictions and options that does give one a feel for the high level action. Most importantly, it has a relatively basic but very functional logistics and attrition system that prevent our pixelated armies from doing thing real armies could never have accomplished.

If we can get three teams together I’ll simply run the game (not taking part in the decisions) and do my chatting with the designated ‘Chief of Staff’ from each of the three teams. I’ll also talk with the mods about setting up a few stickies either here or down in Alt History where I can post screen shots of the map and others where the staffs can hash out their plans in their usual calm and thoughtful ways. Once we know if this will go forward (we really only need three wannabe Generals) I can explain a few things about the game in more detail.

Cheers.
    Last edited by The Purist; 13 Nov 09, 09:17.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

I am interested. But I also start a new job next week, so not sure how much time I can dedicate to this.

If this takes a week or so to develop, then I should know more and will commit as needed.

Great idea, Purist!
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

Sign me up Gerry, I'll help with setting up the threads and everything else you might need.

Comment

Sounds fun .
        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Sounds good to me .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

You Sir are a glutton for punishment! I've been reading the entire "Sea Lion" thread from start to finish (now on page 673) and I would have thought your experiences on that thread would have made swear off such projects forever

Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

If our past conflicts on the forums don't exclude me, I would really like to take part!

Thanks

Gaz

Comment

Sounds interesting, I'm in!
                BoRG
                "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Sounds good to me, I'll sign up.

And the scale you are talking about is one of my favorite types, working one right now .... slowly... that is very similar.

3 sides?

Comment

3 sides?
                    Yep. The allies and USSr need to cooperate,... for a while. But only one team can win.

If our past conflicts on the forums don't exclude me, I would really like to take part!
                    Wot conflicts?

You Sir are a glutton for punishment!
                    This time there is no debate on what is possible. The game has rules, I have time limits. The team that can't sort out their orders by the deadline will have it made for them. But that's all in the future,... I'll have to talk with Boonie about some stickies and post the basics.

Y'all best be getting yourself organised into what side you want to be on (if at least provisionally). By the way, the Red Army will be bored for quite a while,... Barbarossa (is there to be a Barbarossa? You tell me.) is a long way off.
                    Last edited by The Purist; 13 Nov 09, 15:39.
                    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      Yep. The allies and USSr need to cooperate,... for a while.
                      Aw Jeez... in that case, please let me be on the Axis team. The whole back-stab routine is not something I was ever any good at.

Comment

Well colour me interested

Love to take a hand in whichever faction would like me
                        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          Aw Jeez... in that case, please let me be on the Axis team. The whole back-stab routine is not something I was ever any good at.
                          There is no real back stabbing (or possibility of war betwixt the two,... at a certain point the Red Army and Allies will simply stop "co-operating" on the tag-team strangling of the axis.
                          The Purist

Comment

This seems to suggest that the Axis will be the underdogs, so I might throw my hat in with them - especially since I conveniently made a forum for ACG Axis Commanders a few months back
                            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

TP, does the game have a naval component or is it abstracted to the point where a serious naval person would be unnecessary?
                              Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X