No announcement yet.

New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegeus is pleased to see the Mamertines. "Welcome, Welcome, may your god smile upon us in the coming campaign. And may the real sons of Mars show the impostors why they should fear us." Aegeus then lays out his thoughts to his new ally. "We have experience, and the terrain on our side. The Samnites will also deploy an army to fight alongside us. However, the Romans have raised both consular legions, so they have a large force, mostly hoplites with skirmishers, and a fairly small number of relatively poor cavalry. Their leaders, the consuls, could be a major weakness, as they are not long-serving generals but politicians and only in charge of their legions for a season before they will transfer control.

My plan, is to bring them onto terrain where their hoplites do not work, and destroy their legions piece by piece in battles in this natural fortress of hills and woods. I have fought in the great phalanxes of battles past. I know how to kill a phalanx. And our force is flexible, and able to fight in places where their hoplites will be slow and unmaneuverable.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Still need TAG’s choice of contract.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• Ziais and the TKP will choose to Leosthenes in aid of his The Lamian War against the Boetians.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Ziais and the TKP will choose to Leosthenes in aid of his The Lamian War against the Boetians.
          Just so you know, the Boetians have been defeated. They were Greek allies of the Macedonians and the regional governor of Greece and Macedon, Antipater. Instead, the next enemy will be the Argead Empire proper and the Macedonians and their phalangites and Companion cavalry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post

Just so you know, the Boetians have been defeated. They were Greek allies of the Macedonians and the regional governor of Greece and Macedon, Antipater. Instead, the next enemy will be the Argead Empire proper and the Macedonians and their phalangites and Companion cavalry.
            I read it they won. I'm siding with the winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I read it they won. I'm siding with the winner.
              Gotcha. I’ll work on moderation tomorrow. But with being hired by Leosthenes, you’re signing on to fight the Macedonian Empire and all of their allies and satraps.

Comment

Gotcha. I’ll work on moderation tomorrow. But with being hired by Leosthenes, you’re signing on to fight the Macedonian Empire and all of their allies and satraps.
                We're Thracians. We don't particularly like our neighbors as it is...

Comment

• The Second Samnite War-

The Samnites gratefully receive Aegeus and Rojk into their forces and a plan for the campaigning season is explained to them. The Samnites had been informed by their spies that the defeat that they had suffered last season had provoked the Romans into raising both of their legions and sending both of then towards Samnium for the campaigning season. The Samnites had raised an army of their own along with other mercenaries, but the goal would be for the mercenaries and their allies to lure one legion away and deal with it as the Samnite army defeated the other. Representatives among the Samnites recognized Aegeus’ reputation and his defeat of the Romans and so he has been given command of the force of mercenaries and greener Samnite troops. 3,000 total soldiers would be sent to join Aegeus and Rojk’s forces. 1,500 green Samnite swordsmen as well as 1,500 mercenaries that included 1,000 Lucanian swordsmen and 500 Greek hoplites from Magna Graecia. With these orders given, the mercenaries are informed the Roman legions have been spotted around the city of Fregellae.

The Lamian War-

Wonderful news reaches the Greeks and their mercenary allies, the Thessalians have deserted Antipater and joined the other free Greeks! Without the vaunted cavalry of Thessaly, Antipater’s chances of victory have fallen, but he still offers battle in an attempt to break through back to Macedonia close to Thermopylae with a force of 13,000 Macedonian infantry and 600 cavalry. Leosthenes calls for a war council with Bolgios and Ziais being invited to attend and voice their opinions on what course the free Greeks should take next.

(Essentially offer your character’s opinions on how the free Greeks should proceed and what your part in that plan should be, depending on how persuasive you are he will make a decision and assign you and your men to part of the plan)

Comment

The Lamian War-
                    Wonderful news reaches the Greeks and their mercenary allies, the Thessalians have deserted Antipater and joined the other free Greeks! Without the vaunted cavalry of Thessaly, Antipater’s chances of victory have fallen, but he still offers battle in an attempt to break through back to Macedonia close to Thermopylae with a force of 13,000 Macedonian infantry and 600 cavalry. Leosthenes calls for a war council with Bolgios and Ziais being invited to attend and voice their opinions on what course the free Greeks should take next.

(Essentially offer your character’s opinions on how the free Greeks should proceed and what your part in that plan should be, depending on how persuasive you are he will make a decision and assign you and your men to part of the plan)
                    Fateful ground

If at all possible, we need to occupy the mountain passes there before the enemy makes it on to the field of battle.

Bolgios will suggest to take his unit on a reconnaissance in force to test the enemy strength (delay them) and map out their position a few days before we attack.
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 17 Mar 20, 06:33.
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

The Second Samnite War-

The Samnites gratefully receive Aegeus and Rojk into their forces and a plan for the campaigning season is explained to them. The Samnites had been informed by their spies that the defeat that they had suffered last season had provoked the Romans into raising both of their legions and sending both of then towards Samnium for the campaigning season. The Samnites had raised an army of their own along with other mercenaries, but the goal would be for the mercenaries and their allies to lure one legion away and deal with it as the Samnite army defeated the other. Representatives among the Samnites recognized Aegeus’ reputation and his defeat of the Romans and so he has been given command of the force of mercenaries and greener Samnite troops. 3,000 total soldiers would be sent to join Aegeus and Rojk’s forces. 1,500 green Samnite swordsmen as well as 1,500 mercenaries that included 1,000 Lucanian swordsmen and 500 Greek hoplites from Magna Graecia. With these orders given, the mercenaries are informed the Roman legions have been spotted around the city of Fregellae.

Knowing that his force is relatively light and swift, if not overly experienced or large, Aegeus orders them to march towards Fregellae. Aegeus asks Rojik to use his cavalry and light infantry to scout ahead and around the column. Aegeus uses the advantage of the local knowledge of a large portion of his army to seek locations where he can draw the Romans into a battle on terrain of his choosing. He outlines his plan to the various mercenary leaders, after advising them that Rojik is his second-in-command for this campaign.

"Gents, it falls to us to take the fight to the Romans again. I hold no delusions that we can charge home and drive the Romans from the field, such insanity has no place at my table. This fight we can win, but we must be smart and use our local knowledge, our terrain, and our ability to somewhat forgo supply lines to our advantage. We will seek contact with the Roman host, and we will draw them after us. We will drag our coattails and feign withdrawal.

First we want to eliminate their eyes. Rojik's cavalry will maintain scouting, but will also seek to irritate the Roman horse, and draw them into a precipitous pursuit, where we can use our fewer horsemen to draw them into the woods where they can be ambushed and destroyed by javelin and spear. The Roman horse are brave, but they are not Thessalians or Companions, they can be outwitted if given the proper goad.

We must work upon the mind of the Roman General. Small raiding parties will attack their pickets at night, keep the Romans awake and in their armor, unable to have a restful sleep. We must avoid casualties during this phase, we want the Roman commander to desire nothing but a glorious attack upon those who have irritated him for so long. If they leave their supply column uncovered Rojik's men will attack it and force them to detach a large portion to protect their supplies.

And finally, in the third phase, we will offer battle, but only on terrain of our choosing. We will use our local knowledge to choose a place where the road narrows, where the Roman numbers are not relevant, and where the road passes through woods and bogs, terrain where hoplites are utterly useless. Our brave Greeks will block the road and force the Romans to deploy, and our Samnites and Lucanians will have the terrain they need to batter back their Velites they will undoubtedly send forward to maneuver. Once their light troops and cavalry have been defeated, we can harry their heavy phalanx, but ONLY in terrain that favors the use of sword and javelin over the phalanx.

This campaign will take at least several days, if not several weeks. We will fight multiple battles, and the mettle and skill of your men will be put to the test. We will fight the Romans ONLY on ground of our choosing, they have neither the heavy horse, nor the light horse, nor the light troops to force us to give battle in the open field. We will be their demons of the night, and of the forest, and in the forests and hills and swamps we will kill them. And once they are put to flight, we will harry them unceasingly, for a host once routed can be shattered, and once shattered can be destroyed until we are simply unable to lift our sword arms for the ache of use.

Out there is an entire legion of invaders. They seek glorious open battle. We seek the glory of destroying twice our numbers, and the vast profits of loot from an entire legion's worth of arms and armor. Maintain your discipline and your heart, I will be afoot as the rest of you for none of us is above the danger. I have won many victories, and I have won a victory over Romans who outnumbered us more than these do today. We will Deny battle until we choose to fight, and when we fight we will make the Romans forever dread to set foot in the Samnite Hills.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Bread and olive oil lads. We pick them off. We make them chase us. We use the locals to tell us where they are and where the killing ground is. Small groups that hit their forage parties and their scouts. Never stand and fight - that is for later. For now we just want them mad. We want them to chase us. Make a mistake. Kill a couple of them and run away. Be ghosts. Let the Makedons slug it out. We take the easy. When we get them on the ground of our choosing, broken land, then we have our fun. Then we carve them up. But until then we harass, annoy, tease. We make them angry and that will make them dead.
                        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

And your orders for if the Scythians attack the countryside with its farms and villages?
                          Sorry I didn't respond. With COVID-19 my school closed and I was unable to do anything. My orders if I can still issue them are to engage as separate bodies from the sides farthest from the city and drive them towards the city.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caesar Josephus View Post

Sorry I didn't respond. With COVID-19 my school closed and I was unable to do anything. My orders if I can still issue them are to engage as separate bodies from the sides farthest from the city and drive them towards the city.
                            The results of your battle were posted with the update for that campaigning season.

Comment

• Are there any new contracts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Caesar Josephus View Post
                                Are there any new contracts?
                                Yes, also posted in the thread. If you look through you’ll find your reward, casualties, and the list of new contracts as well as purchase lists for new soldiers. Please post your new forces and contract preferences.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X