Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruitt
    replied
    Looking at Theurophoroi and Merc Thracian Light Cavalry and Merc Tarantine Cavalry . Can I order some Scutari and Light Iberian Infantry knowing they will not be here for a round or two? What would elite and hardened units cost?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am tempted to take up the Cretan Contract. I would need to know to know what kind of transport I can get to go there and how much support the Rhodean Navy can give me? Can I hire some Galatian Heavy Spearmen? I assume Ptolemean units are available in Egypt, but what is available in Rhodes, Greek? Are there any 40 to 50 man merc missile units available on Rhodes and how much are they? Are Thorakitai Spearmen available on Rhodes?

Pruitt
    You would be given a few older merchant ships, pretty slow, for your men. Galatians don’t exist yet. Ptolemy is still just a satrap in Egypt, no kingdom yet. You have access to Greek units in Rhodes. Rhodian slingers, hoplites, ekdromoi, etc. Prices are freely available as you know in the chart, if you want elite or hardened units that’s special request.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    Bloody hell. Bought spearmen. It was in my TOE
    50 green very light spearmen, you rolled a natural 1 versus a natural 20. Without overhwhelming force, you were going to get hurt a bit there.

Keep in mind you won anyway. Against a fortified military detachment and captured the general too.
    Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 31 May 20, 14:29.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    I am tempted to take up the Cretan Contract. I would need to know to know what kind of transport I can get to go there and how much support the Rhodean Navy can give me? Can I hire some Galatian Heavy Spearmen? I assume Ptolemean units are available in Egypt, but what is available in Rhodes, Greek? Are there any 40 to 50 man merc missile units available on Rhodes and how much are they? Are Thorakitai Spearmen available on Rhodes?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    Bloody hell. Bought spearmen. It was in my TOE

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Piracy in the Black Sea-

While Rojk prepares his camp for an attack with ditches and stakes and other countermeasures, the Sarmatians are traveling his way at breakneck speed. Due to their quick traveling and avoidance of military garrisons and towns, the Sarmatians avoid any patrols and manage to reach the edge of the kingdom and locate the camp of the cavalry detachment. Arrows fly as the Sarmatians approach the camp and a Sarmatian guard falls and several yell, rousing the camp’s alarm. The cavalrymen quickly awaken and saddle their horses as arrows fall around them, before long a group of several hundred emerges from the camp and charges their antagonists. The Sarmatians withdraw, keeping up a heavy fire that downs nearly a hundred men and horses who were unable to get properly armored in time. Blind with rage, the Colchian cavalry charge forward and smash into the waiting infantry line. Caught between spears, arrows, and charging heavy cavalry in the rear the men of Colchis are destroyed. While Artorius had been busy beginning the attack and drawing out some of the cavalry, Rojk had heard the commotion and readied his infantry to assault the camp. Attempting to surprise the cavalry since they were already distracted by the Sarmatians was a failure, an eagle eyed sentry spotted them almost immediately. However, their overwhelming numbers allowed them to breach the camp and begin funneling men inside. Yet, even as it seemed that the day was lost, the general of Colchis finished outfitting his remaining cavalry that numbered nearly 300 heavy lancers and waited for the moment that the number of mercenaries in the camp was significant, but not quite overwhelming. Then, he blew a horn and charged, deep i to a disorganized group of infantry not equipped with any spears. Unable to avoid it, nearly a hundred Sons of Mars were ridden down and slaughtered in cold blood by the angered Colchian cavalry. Many others fled back the way they had came, leaving Rojk’s men almost entirely outside the walls of the camp. Lord Artorius, seeing the commotion, correctly assumes that Rojk has began his attack on the camp. With his foot archers and horsearchers keeping up a heavy fire to distract the enemy, Artorius breaches the camp. The enemy commander immediately detaches men to try to extinguish the threat, but archer fire and the presence of spearmen blunts their attempts to dislodge the Sarmatians. Rojk, deciding that he must seize the camp, attacks again. This time, with the cavalry’s numbers much reduced, the walls are breached and the cavalry is routed. Within minutes, the Sarmatians and Italians pincer the remaining soldiers and kill any who don’t surrender. The mercenaries were victorious, though many of their own men littered the ground and cried out in pain. Interestingly enough, the enemy commander had been captured alive in all of the madness.

Casualties-

Artorius-

25 Spearmen killed

20 Spearmen Wounded

Rojk-

125 Sons of Mars killed

40 Sons of Mars wounded

Loot- 350 talents

The Lamian War-

Leonnatus turned to the Macedonian mercenary, a man who doubtless had served with Alexander and perhaps even his father in prior years. He looked to be a soldier, one for war and not deceit and treachery in the shadows. Standing near a group of his dedicated companions, he addressed the old soldier. “You and your men performed well in this battle, both of you. The Celtic cavalry gave me the extra shock I needed to break the Greek left and you and your men somehow managed to hold against a full Thessalian charge, most impressive. I have heard tale of the Romans, a barbarian tribe that constantly war on their peninsula. Perhaps it is the Lucanians you should be more wary of. They have crushed both Spartans and Epirotes in the last few decades, putting in his grave even a relative of Alexander. Regardless, I do see your point. Placing you in Italy as my vassal does have its merits, you no doubt know of my engagement to Cleopatra, Alexander’s sister, and the ambitions such a move entails. If you seek soldiers over silver, I will reward your resolve and use you as a foil against the barbarians of Italy. Swear fealty to me, and I shall grant you the soldiers you seek from the ranks of the defeated Greeks.”

Option 1-

Accept as your reward the malcontents and degenerates of the Greek prisoners. Many Athenians as well as mercenaries that despise the Argead Empire and would likely have been exiled or executed. These men will not fight fellow Greeks except under extremely special circumstances. Accepting these men means you are a vassal of Leonnatus and you will be responsible for supplying him with soldiers in the future if he calls upon you for aid.

1,200 hoplites

200 Athenian Cavalry

225 archers

600 peltasts

Option 2- 400 extra talents (Snowy I assume this is your option?)

OOC- Pruitt-

No Spanish Iberians anywhere near you Pruitt. Rhodian Slingers and Cretan Archers are available for hire. No Balearic slingers either. I would recommend against putting catapults on these ships. They are specifically designed to be the fastest ships in the sea because of their design and how they’re weighted. There are other bigger ships much better prepared to have catapults or ballistae. Keep in mind, rams and boarding are how see battles are won in this age.
    Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 31 May 20, 14:39.

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    We make camp on a wooded hill with a steam close by. Sharpened stakes are cut. Leg breaking ditches. We are on full alert expecting either to be attacked or to have to attack. We know that it is the night before many will die

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Egypt has Mercs from Iberia, can I hire from Egypt Scutari and Iberian Light Infantry? Rhodes also has Rhodean Slingers and should be close enough to Crete for Cretan Archers. Balearic Slingers are all over the Med. If I only recruit a few, say 6, can I hire them? Looking to rearm those two Pirate ships I caught with small mangonels (stones, arrows and jars of incendiaries) but I need a price. Do I need to hire crews for the vessels and how many?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Aegeus rides up to Leonnatus meeting, astride a Thessalian horse whose rider no longer has a need of such things. While his forces took significant casualties, he has much to be proud of. Leonnatus had not only listened to his advice on how to counter the Thessalians, the modified plan had worked....even with the unfavorable terrain for executing it. Leosthenes and the Athenian rebels were utterly crushed, and Leonnatus' glory was assured. The left flank, despite being outnumbered heavily, had not only held against what should have been a superior foe, it had stopped the famed Thessalian Lancer charge cold, and held them in the battle embrace until the best cavalry on earth could no longer take it and broke and ran, never to return.

Aegeus makes certain to congratulate Leonnatus on his victory on the right, and his routing of the enemy. Aegeus does not mince words with praise for his own men as well, riding the high of how his greek hypaspists had earned their silver shields today when they stood their ground against the Thessalian charge despite being partially flanked. And he makes sure that it's remembered that the Greek right flank fled from him and Bolgios and their men, and never came back for a second round. And how despite the hard fighting, they pushed on and tied up all the light troops on the Greek right that could have been redeployed to shore up their crumbling formations.

Aegeus greets his agema and phalangites, who had also acquitted themselves well as Leonnatus' phalanx had defeated all before it.

Speaking to Leonnatus in the mingling and eating and drinking, Aegeus expresses his congratulations to him. And tells him that now he must go back to Italia. Because his hypaspists, who have fought so hard and earned their request they made of him. That he would lead them back to Neopolis, and free their city from occupation by those uppity Romans so that they could return home with honor. And Aegeus keeps his debts of honor. He also speaks to Leonnatus about the prisoners. And how his campaign in Italy could solve a couple of problems for Leonnatus. For one, there are lots of prisoners. Certainly some are lowborn men or little better than criminals and perfectly suited to the mines. But rather a number of the Athenians are of decent or even good birth, and an exile would show Leonnatus' magnanimity in victory while equally removing them from where they could cause problems in the future. And Aegeus offers Leonnatus one more thing. Once he has been able to push back Rome and re-establish Magna Grecia.....he will have at least one city at his command, with an army trained in the proper style and hardened in battle.....and Aegeus keeps his debts of honor, something that Leonnatus may wish to call upon in a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    The Lamian War-

The Battle of Lamia- The Phrygian cavalry do as ordered by Bolgios and tail the enemy Thessalians, but the Thessalians realize how badly the battle is going for the Greek coalition and eventually gallop back to Thessaly, abandoning the cause. Meanwhile, Bolgios and the Phrygian spearmen have sought to protect the flank of the phalanx while Aegeus advances with the hypaspists, peltasts, and archers. But their advance is met by a mixture of archers, peltasts, and psiloi that proceed to pelt the Phrygians and mercenaries with arrows and javelins that are devastatingly well aimed. Many of the lightly armored Phrygians fall, but they keep up their own ineffective rain of missiles in a vain attempt to disperse the more numerous Greek missile troops. The action goes dreadfully for the Phrygians and mercenaries, with the Phrygians actually beginning to break and rout. But the intervention of the light cavalry allows them to retreat successfully back to the spearmen. Before long, Leonnatus’s charge into the rear of the Greek phalanx puts an end to the battle, most of the Greeks flee or surrender and the mercenaries and their exhausted men help to round up prisoners before the leaders attend a meeting with Leonnatus to determine their rewards.

Casualties-

Bolgios-

5 Lancers killed

10 Lancers wounded

30 light cavalry killed

50 light cavalry wounded

Aegeus-

130 Greek Hypaspists killed

225 Greek Hypaspists wounded

10 Samnites killed

15 Samnites Wounded

Maritime Protection-

With the other pirates fleeing or burning, Pruitt and his men clear out the hemiolia and outfit them to head back to Rhodes. The remaining voyage is quiet and no further pirates seek to try their luck with the convoy. Upon arriving in Rhodes, the merchants thank him for his service and mention that their backers, combined with the Rhodian government, may have further work for him in extinguishing some of the Cretian pirate groups that prey upon their shipping. With the offer extended, the merchants pay Pruitt his agreed upon sum before heading off to unload and sell their merchandise. Heading to the shipbuilding district, Pruitt is able to interest one of the government builders in the ships for 125 talents each if he wishes to sell them.

Casualties-

10 light spearmen killed

6 slingers killed

3 Scutari killed

5 light spearmen wounded

10 slingers wounded

2 Scutari wounded

Loot-

25 talents for sale of pirate prisoners and their gear

125 talents offered per hemiolia

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    Then it likely won't matter much what we do here - Bolgios will detach the Phrygian cavalry to cover the Phanlanx close and withdraw his Celtic lights back to the extreme left to rest, rearm and be able to counter any move by the Thessalians.

Riders are sent to make contact with the lancers.
    With Bolgios reluctant to make a play for the Greek encampment, Aegeus decides that such an action is beyond the endurance of his men at this juncture. But with the Greek Right flank just there....and with the skirmishing cavalry at his back, Aegeus leaves his Phrygian spearmen to form a square which the light cavalry can skirmish back to if the Thessalians return....and he leads the archers, peltasts, his samnites, and his hypaspists forward.

Archers and phrygian peltasts to drive back the Greek skirmishers from the flank, then to pour arrows and javelins into the right of the Greeks' phalanx. Aegeus is patient....he will wait for the Greeks to crack.....and then lead his Samnites and Hypaspists into the unraveling phalanx to chew it up from the inside with javelin, and spear, and sword.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Rojik Gotcha. Once rojk posts I can mod the piracy battle and once Tac posts I can finish up Lamia.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Then it likely won't matter much what we do here - Bolgios will detach the Phrygian cavalry to cover the Phanlanx close and withdraw his Celtic lights back to the extreme left to rest, rearm and be able to counter any move by the Thessalians.

Riders are sent to make contact with the lancers.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 May 20, 12:55.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Leonnatus is off with my lancers - I seek to reunite my force before this battle is over, how is our right flank doing ?
    Reports are that Leonnatus has crushed his opposition and rides to destroy the enemy’s phalanx.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Aegeus looks at Bolgios after the clash they had just participated in. Seeing some of the Thessalian horses still milling about within the ranks of his men, Aegeus gives Bolgios their options.

[...]

We can either form up and maintain this flank in case the Thessalians return.
    What say ye?
    Leonnatus is off with my lancers - I seek to reunite my force before this battle is over, how is our right flank doing ?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X