New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caesar Josephus View Post
    Can I get a description of the encampment and the environment around the city? Which direction are the Scythians most likely to come, are there any hills, are there any roads?
    The encampment is located several hours to the north of the city in the plains with Scythian scouts on the outskirts. Keep in mind the Scythians are nomadic and frequently on the move though.

Markanda or Marcanda is an ancient city that would later become known by the name Samarkand. That should give you the necessary information to study the city’s geography and history. At this time, the city does have a wall, lies next to a river, and is a trade hub in the area so there are indeed roads leading many different directions. The Scythians are to come from the North, but could approach from any direction.
    Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 03 Mar 20, 21:00.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Bolgios is positioned on the right of his own formation, with a view on his own unit, and as far as possible on the rest of the line.

Our three lines are deployed one behind the other, lights in front, 1st lancers (elite), 2nd lancers (reserve).

Leosthenes blows the horn that signals the start of the attack.
      Immediately Bolgios will order his light cavalry forward to engage the enemy with javelins, the object here is to tire the enemy and disrupt any formation they may have, but avoid hand to hand combat.

Behind them the rest will use battle-cries, songs, chants, taunts, or even specialized instruments for psychological effect, while they watch the spectacle.

Bolgios himself will watch the enemy line, to anticipate their intentions and try to locate the enemy commander of the unit immediately in front.

This can go on for a while, at least untill the rest of line makes contact with the enemy.

At an opportune moment Bolgios will order a signal for the lights to disenage to the left, and form up in the rear of the lancers, to recover, rearm and form a fall back line.

As soon as a gap opens up he will order the 1st lancers to charge directly at the enemy commander, the object here is to break into the enemy formation with lances, then follow up with sword and shield, kill him or run him off the field.

Once again Bolgios will observe the result of this action and give it time to take effect.

The third action is obviously dependent on the result of the first two, AND any action on the part of the enemy.

The 2nd lancers is my reaction force under my personal command, they can for example,

1) follow up the first charge if the enemy is close to breaking.

2) counter a enemy flanking move if it happens.

3) make a left flanking attempt of our own, should the enemy keep his formation closed and prove difficult to break from the front.
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 04 Mar 20, 03:54.
      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

I'll be available the rest of the day for input if needed, tnx.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          I'll be available the rest of the day for input if needed, tnx.
          Orders look fairly complete. Shouldn’t need anything else.

Comment

We begin moving west to Carthaginian territory. Very random though. Sometimes north, sometimes south, sometimes doubling back, but always moving to the west without making it obvious. We burn and loot as we go. As we get close to the Carthaginian lands we strike south leaving a trail of burning farms and villages, before striking west at speed and avoiding any inhabitants and touching nothing. Acting like ghosts until we reach non Greek lands.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post

The encampment is located several hours to the north of the city in the plains with Scythian scouts on the outskirts. Keep in mind the Scythians are nomadic and frequently on the move though.

Markanda or Marcanda is an ancient city that would later become known by the name Samarkand. That should give you the necessary information to study the city’s geography and history. At this time, the city does have a wall, lies next to a river, and is a trade hub in the area so there are indeed roads leading many different directions. The Scythians are to come from the North, but could approach from any direction.
              So they are north of the of Aydar Lake? Is travel time based on the scouts' speed or an estimated time for infantry? In any case, I'll station the scouts on the hills to the North where there should be a clear view of the encampment. Would it be feasible to conduct a night raid (according to the scouts)?

Comment

So they are north of the of Aydar Lake? Is travel time based on the scouts' speed or an estimated time for infantry? In any case, I'll station the scouts on the hills to the North where there should be a clear view of the encampment. Would it be feasible to conduct a night raid (according to the scouts)?
                Close to the shores of the Aydar Lake, travel time based on scouts speed. There is not a clear view of the encampment close to the city.

It’s possible to conduct a night raid according to your scouts, but it is dangerous.

Comment

I looked at the satellite map and there are mountains between the city and the lake. How is it that there no clear view? What exactly makes a night raid difficult?

Comment

I looked at the satellite map and there are mountains between the city and the lake. How is it that there no clear view? What exactly makes a night raid difficult?
                    Night raids in ancient times were extremely difficult and discipline could break down and cause an absolute disaster with the enemy discovering the attackers, friendly fire, or all sorts of other problems.

Yes, there are mountains and passages through them to vast plains to the northeast and northwest. I’ve posted a picture of the relevant place.

You can’t view a place that changes daily. The Scythians are nomadic, your men found a single encampment that has likely moved by now. The Scythians come and go as they please either in the hundreds or thousands. Coming from the plains to raid the frontier cities. They don’t have a permanent camp or residence, in order to execute a raid you would have to find a camp, somehow surprise it and its guards, and do this all before they moved camp in the morning.

The Scythians are not camped outside the city waiting if that is what you think is happening here.

That’s all the information I can give, your decision is up to you now. I need orders soon.

Comment

Alright, I'll have the scouts take up OPs in the hills to give early warning of a raid. Then I'll have the rest of the company join the city garrison.

Comment

Alright, I'll have the scouts take up OPs in the hills to give early warning of a raid. Then I'll have the rest of the company join the city garrison.
                        And your orders for if the Scythians attack the countryside with its farms and villages?

Comment

The Lamian War-

With shouts, trumpet blasts, and battle paeans the Battle of Platea commenced. Bolgios' light horsemen ride forward and meet the Boetian light horse and volleys of javelins are exchanged as the two sides whirl back and forth in a moving battle as the heavier horsemen on both sides chant battle paeans and cheer for their comrades. Despite their numbers being close to equal, the Greek light horsemen obtain the upper hand and before long the Celtic light cavalry disengage before their setback turns into a rout. The Greek light horsemen toss a few javelins into the ranks of the far heavier Celtic lancers before deciding to fall back behind their own heavy horse.

Bolgios attempts to find the enemy commander as the light cavalry skirmish, but his gaze fails to find anyone of note. However, the ranks of the enemy hippeis seem to have been disrupted by the withdrawal of the light horsemen and so Bolgios orders an attack to attempt to break the enemy while their ranks are jumbled. The Greeks were not ones to back down from a fight and despite the charge of Bolgios and his Celts they hold fast and blunt the charge of the Celts. With their initial charge failing to break the enemy, the fight between Bolgios' first line and that of the Boetians devolves into a bloody brawl with the Boetians seeming to gain the upper hand over the winded Celts.

Bolgios sees that the enemy is refusing to break and are even gaining ground against his first line and so decides to use his second line to flank the enemy. Calling his men to him he gallops at full speed around the melee while his first line holds the enemy and executes a devastating charge upon the enemy flank. The Boetians, despite their initial resolve, see that the battle is lost and break and flee from the field of battle. Elsewhere along the line of battle, Leosthenes and his men are just as successful. The Boetians center and left were also broken or breaking and the entire Boetian army soon disintegrated into a mass of fleeing soldiers. Leosthenes and the rebelling Greeks that had joined the Athenians had won the Battle of Platea, the first battle in the Lamian War.

Later on, after the battle had long been over, Leosthenes sends a note to Bolgios detailing his thanks for his help in defeating the Boetians and his sorrow that the loot on the field would go toward helping Athens to arm more men to join the fight. However, Bolgios would not be left without a reward. 60 fine cavalry horses had been captured without injury after the battle and Leosthenes thought they would be best put to use by Bolgios and his Celts. Along with this gift men also bring Bolgios his monetary reward as per his contract and beg that he return again for the next campaigning season.

Casualties-
                          10 light horsemen KIA
                          15 light horsemen WIA
                          5 heavy horsemen KIA
                          8 heavy horsemen WIA

Reward-
                          contract payment
                          60 cavalry steeds (greatly reduces the cost of recruiting cavalry, you will only have to pay for the hiring of a man and his arms)

Sparks Fly in Sicily-

Rojk's methods are effective as he and his men continue to pillage and burn in an unorthodox fashion that serves to befuddle his enemies and defeat any of their attempts at discovery or pursuit. Rojk and his men successfully return to Carthaginian Sicily with an absolutely massive portion of loot. The Carthaginian authorities are pleased with the chaos and mass destruction that he has caused and pay him the full amount indicated in the contract. Rojk and his men were on their way to becoming very rich men.

Rewards-
                          full payment per contract
                          80 more talents in loot

The Scythians Ride-

In the early morning hours the scouts are on patrols and their position upon the hills proves to be invaluable. They spot a mass of horsemen riding towards the fields and villages on the outskirts of Marcanda. The force is quite large from what the scouts can see, likely over 2,000 men they report. The commander of the city offers his forces up to assist, though his 500 hoplites are all that he can offer to protect the lives and property of the citizens of Marcanda.

Comment

Good reports there, and perfect execution of my orders

contract payment
                            Will be distributed according to social standing, in Celtic fashion.

60 cavalry steeds (greatly reduces the cost of recruiting cavalry, you will only have to pay for the hiring of a man and his arms)
                            Will be given to those who distinguished themselves in battle, after a great feast where the warriors share the stories of their exploits.

10 light horsemen KIA
                            15 light horsemen WIA
                            5 heavy horsemen KIA
                            8 heavy horsemen WIA
                            Light horsemen will be promoted to heavy to refill the ranks of the lancers, those so inclined will be given leave to return home to recruit new light horsemen from their clans and rejoin me for the next season (since we have spare horses and money, small numbers can travel by ship across the Med.)

Some may want to bring family members etc.

Those that stay will use winter (?) for tactical training, specifically they will train to approach the enemy line at a trot, only picking up speed at the optimal distance for a charge.

Seems we charged the ememy from to far out.

...and beg that he return again for the next campaigning season.
                            Bolgios and his men will stay on the condition he's given a seat on the war council, and is involved in and informed of the campaign plan - and can agree to it.

Campaign season or not, our Celtic scouts will watch the enemy activity in small pickets of 3, there may always be an opportunity for a small scale raid somewhere.

that the loot on the field would go toward helping Athens to arm more men to join the fight.
                            Boetian cavalry helmets seem to be in high demand in Mercenary circles, make sure you collect them all

Last edited by Snowygerry; 05 Mar 20, 07:22.

Comment

Since most people are finishing up their first contracts, I figured I would post the financial side of things so players can get a head start. I’ll be having each player fill out an end of turn report so I can keep up with recruiting, finances, and current forces too.

Finances-

Infantry Kits

Light infantry kit- 1/2 talent

Medium Infantry Kit- 2 talents

Heavy Infantry Kit- 3 talents

Light Cavalry Kit/Mount- 5 talents

Medium Cavalry Kit/Mount- 7 talents

Heavy Cavalry Kit/Mount- 9 talents

New Soldier Recruitment Cost

1/2 talent green

1 talent Veteran

Soldier Pay/Upkeep

1/10th of a talent per a man

Wounded will be healed in this intervening period between turns.

Comment

And your orders for if the Scythians attack the countryside with its farms and villages?
                                The entire company will be on high alert, with orders to engage at a moment's notice. In the meantime, the company will be drilling specifically to counter a country raid; I have confidence these Roman veterans know how to defend a city.

In the event of a country raid, the company is to engage after the raid is carried out and the Scythians are burdened with their spoils.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X