New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Judging by their reaction yesterday I’d say man for man we are the superior fighters, I surrounded them with light troops, logically that should have led to duels and individual combat, but it didn’t, leading me to conclude they are part-time soldiers following orders, not born warriors looking for a reputation.

Tactically we have an advantage too, my men trained to fight in a system known by your people as “Trimarkisia” - “the power of three (horses)” - lending them a staying power in prolonged fights unmatched by other cavalry.

It also addresses the main weakness of Celtic cavalry, they are prone to chasing a fleeing enemy, leaving gaps in your line to be exploited.

Our weakness is our small number, obviously, normally this system is implemented by an entire tribe on the move, slaves, youngsters and women forming part of the 2nd and 3rd line, here we have only grown freemen for now,

but in this weakness lies a strength too, our secondary lines are formidable warriors in their own right.

I think that, if properly supported on your left, we can break or flank whatever is in front of us, the trick will be to place my small unit either on the extreme left flank of the line, or opposite a weak spot where we can pierce the enemy line.
    While the Celts of the 3rd century BCE did use this tactic during their invasion of Greece, you lack the necessary materials to implement it atm. It requires extra men, horses, etc to replace casualties during the fight. If you can obtain these, the tactic can certainly be used to improve the stamina of your cavalry. You could certainly use variations of it that don’t require those materials, but you’ll need to let me know the specifics of what you want to accomplish.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post

So in this time period the Romans have not quite yet transitioned to Roman armaments. It’s actually during/after this Samnite War that the Romans instituted the three line system and went away from the hoplite phalanx. Alot of the equipment you noted wouldn’t actually be added to the Roman arsenal till their involvement in Spain in the Second Punic War over a century later. The Romans are still excellent soldiers, but at this point they would more resemble a Greek hoplite phalanx then what you are thinking of.

Being ex Roman veterans is perfect though. You could have them be ekdromoi, a sort of light hoplite more fitted to your idea of Roman infantry and have a force of velites as your missile troops? Do keep in mind the Romans themselves don’t hire mercenaries and your men will likely be looked down on by other Romans.
      Right, I'm getting ahead. It was the doctrine change I was thinking of. I think velites would be fine as missile troops, and the ekdromoi would be good as well. Maybe I could combine a light hoplite with the velites for some sort of hybrid troop? I'll keep the size and organization, but equip the ekdromoi with an elliptical shield and a light 1.75m spear. This is about the time the Roman army underwent major organizational changes switching from a Grecian style of phalanx to the Maniplar System.
      I think there would be a deal between my company and the Rome that I can be called upon at any time to serve in the army.

This is my last week of the quarter so I won't be able to do anything next week. I will be back the week after.

Comment

Has anyone taken the Scythian Mission?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Josephus View Post
          Has anyone taken the Scythian Mission?
          The Scythian contract is wide open atm.

Yes, I guess you can have a sort of hybrid soldier and arm the ekdromoi with short shields and javelins. You’ll start with 500 of those troops.

Comment

While the Celts of the 3rd century BCE did use this tactic during their invasion of Greece, you lack the necessary materials to implement it atm. It requires extra men, horses, etc to replace casualties during the fight. If you can obtain these, the tactic can certainly be used to improve the stamina of your cavalry. You could certainly use variations of it that don’t require those materials, but you’ll need to let me know the specifics of what you want to accomplish.
            Well - not just any horse or man will do, the idea is for the '3' to function as a unit to some degree, they need to be accustomed to working together and anticipate the needs of the frontline fighter in particular during battles.

This is based on the idea that in any fight, a minority of those involved do the majority of the killing, and others are best used in a supporting function.

All three horses, for example, belong to the prime fighter, and he would be used to ride them all, same with the good quality weapons carried by all 3.

Also - it is a meritocratic system, untried warriors start in the rear line and can 'promote' to second and first line as those in front of them, eh......retire

Can we shorten my frontage to make it work ?
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 03 Mar 20, 12:27.
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Well - not just any horse or man will do, the idea is for the '3' to function as a unit to some degree, they need to be accustomed to working together and anticipate the needs of the frontline fighter in particular during battles.

This is based on the idea that in any fight, a minority of those involved do the majority of the killing, and others are best used in a supporting function.

Also - it is a meritocratic system, untried warriors start in the rear line and can 'promote' to second and first line as those in front of them, eh......retire

Can we shorten my frontage to make it work ?

Interesting, yes I think shrinking your frontage can make it work. Though, this will slightly reduce your charge bonus.

The Lamian War

With the support of Bolgios and his men, Leosthenes seeks battle with the Boetians. Bolgios is placed on the far left wing, other mercenaries take the left, Athenian hoplites take the center, allies take the tight, and Athenian cavalry take the right wing. In front of Bolgios are 3-400 of the cavalry that he had sighted earlier and as Bolgios sights them, Leosthenes blows the horn that signals the start of the attack.

Comment

I will take Scythia

Comment

I will take Scythia
                  Done. I’ll include you in the next update.

Comment

Tactically this has some very distinct advantages, the frontline can move freely during battle and the other 2 form a base for them to fall back on...

Or they can rest a bit while the second line holds the front, return for a new lance or javelins after a charge etc..

Edit, just saw your post, is it OK if I write an actual order here in the morning ?

Bolgios is placed on the far left wing, other mercenaries take the left, Athenian hoplites take the center, allies take the right, and Athenian cavalry take the right wing.
                    In front of Bolgios are 3-400 of the cavalry that he had sighted earlier and as Bolgios sights them...
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 03 Mar 20, 12:49.
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Tactically this has some very distinct advantages, the frontline can move freely during battle and the other 2 form a base for them to fall back on...

Or they can rest a bit while the second line holds the front, return for a new lance or javelins after a charge etc..

Edit, just saw your post, is it OK if I write an actual order in the morning ?
                      True enough, it will improve their staying power, but at the expense of their shock since they’ll be losing frontage. I posted your situation above, if you can get me tactical orders I can mod it with the rest of the update.

Comment

Edit, just saw your post, is it OK if I write an actual order here in the morning ?

Yes that’s fine.

Comment

The Scythians Ride!-

The Emeritus Guerillae had finally arrived in Bactra after having taken the Scythian contract from the satrap Phillip. The journey had been long and difficult with stormy seas and scorching heat seeking to sap their resolve, but in the end they had made it to the vast plains of Sogdiana. A messenger from Phillip awaited them in Bactra, carrying instructions for how they were to be employed. The man is clearly a Greek with armor to demonstrate his position and without prompting he relays the instructions, "The satrap Phillip has grown tired of the constant raids and attacks by the Scythians to our north. Despite their defeat by Alexander at the Jaxartes River they have grown bold after hearing reports of his death and have continuously raid our settlements and garrisons on the frontier. Phillip orders that you do something to stop or lessen these depredations. You can either help to garrison the oft targeted city of Marcanda and protect it and its farms from attack or you can take the fight to the enemy, Phillip does not care which so long as their depredations are decreased." With this said, the messenger leaves the mercenaries to their work.

The Lamian War
                          With the support of Bolgios and his men, Leosthenes seeks battle with the Boetians. Bolgios is placed on the far left wing, other mercenaries take the left, Athenian hoplites take the center, allies take the tight, and Athenian cavalry take the right wing. In front of Bolgios are 3-400 of the cavalry that he had sighted earlier and as Bolgios sights them, Leosthenes blows the horn that signals the start of the attack. Though not a massive battle, the fight could decide the fate of the Lamian War. If the Boetians won or even stalemated, they would be able to join their ally Antipater and likely crush the Athenian resistance.

Sparks Fly in Sicily-

Having shaken off the pursuit of the Greeks of Tyndaris. Rojk and his men head away from Tyndaris and make their way back down onto flatter terrain. With his cavalry scouting out in front, Rojk and his men make short work of any who cross their path. Entire villages are burned and plundered, the countryside torched, and many unfortunate villas ransacked and destroyed. Unlike the last time, no pursuing force has happened upon Rojk and his men, but at some point they will have to find a way to get their loot away from the Greek part of the island.

Loot- 70 talents

The Second Samnite War-

The Samnite Medix Tuticus, equivalent to a Roman consul, was overjoyed at the news that the mercenaries that he had hired had done so much damage to the Roman cause. He immediately authorized the payment of the 150 talents along with 25 more for killing the Roman military tribune. He also reiterated that Aegeus and Callas were welcome to stay in Samnite territory where they would not have to pay for lodging or food due to their heroics against the Romans. News of their exploits went even further with 52 Samnite veterans from the surrounding area seeking employment with Aegeus, needing only to be paid a hiring fee since they possessed their own armor and weapons.

Results-
                          175 talents
                          52 Veteran Samnites with kit, need only pay hiring cost

Comment

I'll leave the main body with the garrison and send the mounted scouts to determine the raiders' FOB, unless this is already known.

Comment

I'll leave the main body with the garrison and send the mounted scouts to determine the raiders' FOB, unless this is already known.
                              Ok, so before you go forward, you weren’t given mounted scouts to start with. However, I’ll amend it and give you 50 light horsemen with javelins. So your entire force consists of the 500 hybrid ekdromoi with javelins and those 50 light horsemen.

The Scythians Ride!

The 50 light horse scout the plains of Sogdiana and manage to discover an encampment of Scythians. The shelters are clearly temporary as the Scythians are a mainly nomadic people and the numbers seem to be around a 1,000 strong. However, before the scouts can get more information horsearchers charge forward launching shafts at the Romans forcing them to flee for their lives back to the city.

Comment

Can I get a description of the encampment and the environment around the city? Which direction are the Scythians most likely to come, are there any hills, are there any roads?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X