No announcement yet.

New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Second Samnite War- The Samnite agent that had been sent to collect mercenaries in Crete was ecstatic at securing so many veterans and talented mercenaries at such a good price and decides to arrange for transportation to Samnium at his own expense. The journey to the small strip of coastline that the Samnites control on the western side of the Italian peninsula is relatively uneventful as the seas remain calm and any pirates that may have seen the ship stay far away. Upon landing, Aegeus takes his company and that of Calas further into Samnium, aiming to reach Atina where the Samnite agent had said that the majority of Romans were looting. The agent acts as a guide leading them through Samnite territory till they're on the outskirts of Casinum, not to far from Atina. However, upon stopping for rest Aegeus hears screams and cries for help. Scouts are sent to apprise Aegeus and Calas of the situation and soon they return with an answer, roughly 1,000-1500 Roman soldiers were busy looting the farms and small villages around the city of Casinum. Though they had not yet spotted the Greeks and Macedonians, it was only a matter of time before they looked up from their depredations and recognized the presence of any enemy force.

Sparks Fly in Sicily- The voyage of Rojk of Heraclea also happens to be uneventful despite the treacherous nature of the coasts of Sicily and the miserable sailing weather. The commander and his men are dropped off on the coast between Tyndaris and Haluntium, but they were not alone. Several who saw the landing of the armed men that were clearly not Greeks raced off to Tyndaris to inform the city leaders of the attacked. Rojk and his men savage the villages and villas along the coast, grabbing a great deal of plunder from the very rich and fertile countryside. But before they have finished loading their loot into wagons to take into the hills and mountains, a force of Greeks from the city of Tyndaris arrives. The force looks to be around 1,000 men strong with hoplites, javelinmen, and even cavalry included in the force. Rojk can fight the force and keep the loot he has managed to acquire or ditch the loot and attempt to flee into the mountains of Sicily.

The Lamian War- The Athenian recruiters were quite ecstatic to have recruited over 300 cavalry to add to their own paltry force and so willingly paid for the cost of the horse transports required to get the barbaroi cavalry back to Greece. Upon arriving, the Athenian general Leosthenes joyfully accepts Bolgios and his cavalry in the force of the rest of his mercenaries and prepares to begin the war with the Macedonian satrap Antipater. Eager to crush Antipater's allies before he can muster his forces, Leosthenes takes a force of 5,000 Athenians, 2,000 mercenaries, and Bolgios and his 300 horsemen to attack the Boetians. The Boetians were a Greek league that were close allies to Antipater and the Macedonians who had installed the tyrants that ruled their cities. Getting wind of the Athenians plans, the Boetians have raised their own army to defend their lands in hope that their ally Antipater will march to save them. With their forces raised they send forth a group of Greek cavalry to scout and monitor the Athenian approach. Leosthenes, appreciative of the quality of Bolgios and his cavalry, use them as his forward scouts as he and his army move towards Boetia and while they are scouting they run into the Boetian cavalry force that numbers about 400 strong. Bolgios is caught somewhat unawares, but has the option to fight the enemy cavalry on the field or attempt to disengage and inform Leosthenes of his encounter.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Wish I had time to play, wouldn't mind a spot as a Scythian female mounted archer.
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
        Wish I had time to play, wouldn't mind a spot as a Scythian female mounted archer.
        Hey! I could certainly fit you in if you like?

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post

Hey! I could certainly fit you in if you like?
          Alright, fit me in. Just FYI, I'm pretty busy nowadays with work but I'll try my best to keep up.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Alright, fit me in. Just FYI, I'm pretty busy nowadays with work but I'll try my best to keep up.
            Mercenary Sign Up Sheet

Name-

Race- (Macedonian, Greek, Scythian, Celt, Thracian, Tarentine, Cretan, Samnite, Roman, or any other ancient racial group, will include bonuses)

Type of Force- What proportion of missile troops, melee, and cavalry do you want?

Preferred Employment- What sort of jobs does your company wish to do? For who? Where?

Mixing-Will your company hire only within its own group or outside of it? (A Greek company hiring Thracians etc)

All mercenaries will start in Crete and journey from there following advertisements of cities, states, tribes, and powers looking for mercenaries!

So fill out this signup sheet for me. Also, are you looking for pure horsearchers, horsearchers that can also fight in melee, or the heavy elites that are extreme heavy cavalry with bows? Once you tell me, I can give you your force.

Also, take a look at the list of contracts and choose one!

Comment

I'll have my info for you by tonight. Thanks

Comment

The loot can be dumped. Sicily is rich, and there will be plenty of other opportunities to load up in the future. Besides, our contract is to sow mischief and confusion, not get involved in pitched battles.
                The abandoned loot will slow down the pursuit (and it is highly unlikely that it ever finds its way back to its rightful owners).
                So we hightail it into the mountains, 20 cav scouting ahead, and the rest in the rearguard laying traps and ready to discourage any overly enthusiastic followers.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I'll have my info for you by tonight. Thanks
                  Perfect

Comment

Aegeus smiles as the report from the scouts come in, somewhat to the consternation of Calas. "My friend, 5 to one odds are very good indeed, one day I will have to tell you about Issus. Sure as I'm standing, the Persian King brought half a million men to face our army of no more than 40 thousand. Every man in my company was there, it was a glorious victory." Thus bolstering the morale of his ally, as well as the mystique of his own men, though some might begin to think them as self aggrandizing, Aegeus gets to work.

Turning to the local guide, he says "We're in this hill country above the Romans. I want a shallow ravine, nothing too obvious, within a mile of them down there. The thicker the wood, the better. Best would be a ravine that deepens substantially once it's in the forest proper. You won't have much time to pick one, I intend to start this fight soon."

Talking to Calas, he says: "I want to keep our best troops out of sight until we're ready to commit to the final fight. Here's my plan. You lead your Ekdromoi, as many as you feel you need but at least a hundred, out to attack one of the Roman's small foraging parties. Kill them quickly, and then drag your feet when you make to escape back to the forest. Act like you're exhausted, like you've been running all day. Your men are far swifter than those Roman Hoplites, I don't want you to outrun them by a substantial margin. As for their Velites, only a fool would push skirmishers into battle with Ekdromoi, your very existence is there to drive off skirmishers. I want the Romans to chase you with vigor, and I want them to get strung out but not actually lose sight of you."

Taking in his own four captains, Aegeus finishes explaining his plan: "Once Calas leads the Romans into the shallow defile, we will ambush them with our javelins and the psiloi's javelins from the flanks. The woods are terrible terrain for fully armored hoplites with spears, I anticipate that they will make an attempt to form up before finally dropping their spears or fighting as individuals. When we have whittled down their numbers and sown confusion, we will charge down into them with sword and shield, and cut the body of the column that Calas has been able to draw to ribbons. If we have smashed them sufficiently, we will then advance, if not we will hold a defense in the wood where we have the advantage."

"The Agema will divide under its 4 captains and myself, 30 men to a band. Fighting will be in looser order where commanding a large unit into battle will be unwieldy, our experience means we can divide our forces but fight concentrated where the Romans cannot."

Looking again directly at Calas rather than the whole of the gathered leadership, Aegeus gives the final part of his plan: "You will have a key role in our success. My men and I can kill, but we don't want the Romans to know that silver shields are present until we are amongst them and killing them. Your Ekdromoi are the key to this working, you will need to smash enough Roman raiders to get a response, then draw them into the forest so we can kill them all. And once we have started, you'll need to turn your men around and charge into them, your numbers are absolutely necessary. Your psiloi, once the melee has begun in earnest, will need to be swift of foot and cover the rear of the whole of the army. We can win this fight handily, but we have to be smart about how we do it."

Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The Lamian War- (….) Leosthenes, appreciative of the quality of Bolgios and his cavalry, use them as his forward scouts as he and his army move towards Boetia and while they are scouting they run into the Boetian cavalry force that numbers about 400 strong. Bolgios is caught somewhat unawares, but has the option to fight the enemy cavalry on the field or attempt to disengage and inform Leosthenes of his encounter.
                      Disengage and cover our advance.

Light cavalry will form a skirmishing line around the enemy, continue to observe the movement of the enemy force and gain more info on their unit quality and composition, avoid close combat and showing our full strength.

If at all possible capture an isolated enemy soldier to interrogate.

The lancers will maintain formation and stay between our main force and the enemy.

After gaining sufficient intel, Bolgios will report to Leosthenes.
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 02 Mar 20, 03:01.
                      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

On second thought, sadly, I have to pass on this game. I'm just too busy the next several months and won't be online very much.

Thanks for offering to fit me in the game.

Last but not least...congrats on earning your college degree and hope your future is rich and fulfilling.

Comment

The Second Samnite War- Aegeus' plan moved forward as his men and the psiloi hid themselves within the hilly woods and waited for Calas to complete his part of the plan. The Romans were still wholly consumed with plundering and destroying the property of the Samnites and did not notice until it was too late that Calas and 100 of his ekdromoi were among their number stabbing and felling many a Roman soldier. When the Roman military tribune that was in charge of the raiding and foraging party saw the attack, he swiftly gathered all the men he could nearby and charged in pursuit. Calas, seeing that his attack had triggered the wanted pursuit, immediately fell back at speed with his lighter ekdromoi managing to outpace the Roman hoplite soldiers. Calas and his men entered the woods with the Romans not far behind, but as they delved further into the woods the psiloi that had been lying in wait tossed their javelins into the pursuing Roman force. Not many Romans fell, but the sudden attack checked their momentum and gave Aegeus and his men the time to spring their part of the trap. Aegeus and his men, 150 of the most elite Macedonian infantry in the entire world as well as 100 of the ekdromoi, fell upon the Romans from both sides completing the fatal ambush. Yet, the Romans did not immediately break despite the ambush. In their many battles against the Samnites and other Italian peoples that had been their greatest advantage, their stubbornness and refusal to yield to the enemy. They fought on despite the Macedonian veterans wielding their deadly short swords and cutting into their ranks with the precision of a well oiled military machine that had been honed through decades of harsh warfare in many different places. Aegeus, seeing that the Romans were made of sterner stuff than many barbarian tribes in Italy, sends runners to Calas asking that his diversionary force now rejoin the fight. The charge of challenge added to the continued attacks of the Macedonian veterans finally manages to break the Romans and those who are left attempt to flee back the way that they had came. Aegeus and Calas pursue with their men who are far more nimble and cut down the majority of the Roman spearmen even as they exit the woods back into the fields. However, those Romans that had not been gathered by the military tribune had gathered together on the field in hoplite formation with a small 100 man body of horse to protect their flanks. Aegeus and Calas decide to risk their luck again and in the heat of battle they charge their forces into the leaderless Roman forces. The Romans had only expected light resistance from the Samnite hill tribes, not a concentrated attack from some of the most veteran soldiers in the world. They break and flee with the cavalry managing to prevent the rout from turning into a massacre. Aegeus and Calas eventually halt their exhausted men and return to the battlefield, finding the body of the military tribune as well as the bodies of many Romans and even their own men. The local Samnites were ecstatic, not only were the Roman forces forced back, they were soundly beaten and likely expelled from Samnite territory. In return for this, the local Samnites offer to give the Aegeus and Calas free room and board if they desired.

Battlefield Loot- 160 talents
                          Casualties- 800 Roman KIA or captured
                          Calas- 51 Ekdromoi and 20 Psiloi KIA, 30 and 10 WIA
                          Aegeus- 21 KIA and 28 WIA

Sparks Fly in Sicily- Rojk and his men hurriedly drop the loot that they had gathered and aim to head into the hilly and mountainous terrain of Sicily. The Greeks of Tyndaris consider following the Mamertines, but instead decide to round up the discarded spoils and return them to their owners. Rojk and his men have escaped unharmed from their enemies and are now free to pursue other tasks until the campaigning season is up.

(feel free to post further orders if you would like to keep raiding)

The Lamian War- The Boetian hippeis and light horse watch as Bolgios and his men withdraw and don't attempt a pursuit. Bolgios is able to determine that about 400 cavalry were present with most of them being Greek hippeis and a few light cavalry. Upon bringing this information back to Leosthenes, the Athenian general ponders the new information before asking his new mercenary commander a question. "Bolgios", he says. "Do you and your Celtic horsemen think that you are a match for those Boetians that you saw? I must crush these traitor Greeks quickly if we are to prevent them from joining forces with the Macedonian Antipater. I would ask that you and your cavalry lead our left cavalry wing against the enemy. If we can envelop their flanks any battle should end shortly and in our favor."

Comment

Aegeus and Calas talk as they make their way to Atina, not letting their guard down after their victory, the psiloi now more motivated to ensure that any Romans are spotted first so they can be prey to their victorious might. Stopping short of the city, all the men clean themselves up as best they can, and organize their supply wagons and loot wagons into a line, with Roman standards standing atop the wagons full of shields, arms, armor, and other items taken from the Romans. Riding horses at the head of the column, which is led by the quickly polished silver shields, Aegeus and Calas parade their force down the main street to meet with the city fathers and other politicians as the people watch them bring in the spoils of their victory, proof that a substantial Roman force was indeed utterly brought to ruin.

Aegeus brings the body of the tribune, tied one of his own horses, and presents him to the city fathers as a gift and proof of a great victory over those who had long marched and oppressed their lands. A feast is held, and Aegeus makes certain to bring some Macedonian wine for the Samnites.

With the festivities done, the wounded cared for, and the dead buried, Aegeus commends Calas and his men. Aegeus wishes him well on any future endeavors once this contract has expired. And Aegeus accepts the gracious offer of the Samnites to winter, not committing Calas to such actions. Even with dividing the spoils, the battle has resulted in quite a number of talents going to the mercenaries, this has been a profitable and glorious expedition.
                            Last edited by TacCovert4; 02 Mar 20, 19:49.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

After waiting and watching a couple of days to make sure the Greeks were not pursuing us, we strike out away from Tyndaris, cavalry ahead scouting and killing any that they meet to stop anyone raising the alarm, and looking for soft targets to loot and burn.
                              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

The Lamian War- The Boetian hippeis and light horse watch as Bolgios and his men withdraw and don't attempt a pursuit. Bolgios is able to determine that about 400 cavalry were present with most of them being Greek hippeis and a few light cavalry. Upon bringing this information back to Leosthenes, the Athenian general ponders the new information before asking his new mercenary commander a question. "Bolgios", he says. "Do you and your Celtic horsemen think that you are a match for those Boetians that you saw? I must crush these traitor Greeks quickly if we are to prevent them from joining forces with the Macedonian Antipater. I would ask that you and your cavalry lead our left cavalry wing against the enemy. If we can envelop their flanks any battle should end shortly and in our favor."
                                Judging by their reaction yesterday I’d say man for man we are the superior fighters, I surrounded them with light troops, logically that should have led to duels and individual combat, but it didn’t, leading me to conclude they are part-time soldiers following orders, not born warriors looking for a reputation.

Tactically we have an advantage too, my men trained to fight in a system known by your people as “Trimarkisia” - “the power of three (horses)” - lending them a staying power in prolonged fights unmatched by other cavalry.

It also addresses the main weakness of Celtic cavalry, they are prone to chasing a fleeing enemy, leaving gaps in your line to be exploited.

The Celtic Trimarkisia cavalry system was a system whereby each horseman was accompanied by two mounted servants who were themselves skilled riders. When the horseman was engaged in battle, the servants remained behind the ranks and if a horse fell, they would bring the warrior a fresh horse. If the rider himself were killed, the servant would mount the horse in his masters place, thus replenishing the Celtic ranks.
                                Our weakness is our small number, obviously, normally this system is implemented by an entire tribe on the move, slaves, youngsters and women forming part of the 2nd and 3rd line, here we have only grown freemen for now,

but in this weakness lies a strength too, our secondary lines are formidable warriors in their own right.

I think that, if properly supported on your left, we can break or flank whatever is in front of us, the trick will be to place my small unit either on the extreme left flank of the line, or opposite a weak spot where we can pierce the enemy line.
                                Last edited by Snowygerry; 03 Mar 20, 08:41.
                                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X