New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rojik sends a message to Lord Artorius:

My lord, the timing of your offer is most fortuitous. It appears that the pirates and the kingdom are one and the same. We can fight and win, but at a cost I’d rather not pay, so I offer you half of the contract and the loot, and all the slaves you can carry away.’
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Lord Artorius replies to Rojik of Heraclea:

'Ah I see, acting as pirates in service of the kingdom seems cowardly. We accept your offer and look forward to battle.'
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• Snip
        Last edited by TacCovert4; 29 May 20, 11:52.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Found a interesting site called Slinging.Org. They say that Slingers could loop their shots so they can hit the enemy front lines. They do not have to get in front to hit the enemy. Do those Pirate ships have shields to protect the Pirates from attack from above?

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            (....)
            He tells Bolgios that he would like him to help skirmish and drive off the psiloi quickly so that the Greek Cavalry must intervene and to help entice the Thessalians into the spearmen. After that, skirmish wide to the Left and use your judgement.
            Simple enough

Bolgios collects his personal guard with a few spare horses and deploys his light horsemen in line in front of Aegeus left flank.

Supplies of javelins will be placed with our front line of infantry beforehand so that the lights can retreat, rearm and ride out again if the opportunity arises.

As soon as the enemy comes in sight we ride out to challenge the Psiloi to individual combat, disrupt their order and attack them with javelins.

We want to be at them well before the main lines are formed or in contact.

If they try to form up, small detachments charge them with swords, to see if they stand their ground, feign retreat if they do.

If the Thessalians make a determined attack, we evade contact and retire to our left as ordered thus seemingly exposing the line behind us.

Privately Bolgios will make the round of all his men, including the lancers, the night before battle, and set a rally point in some well-known nearby location, for all to make their way to and reassemble should they become separated or be forced to retreat or flee.
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 May 20, 09:05.
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Awesome. I’ll have these modded in a few days.
              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• The last Cercucus pulls ahead slightly to form a line with the last two traders. These three will concentrate fire on the lead Pirate Ship. Fire will concentrate on the Helmsman and then any Pirates showing themselves. Half of the Slingers will start using red hot bullets to try and set the ship's sails (on the deck) on fire. These should be flammable. As the ships close, the Slingers will use larger "Bullets" to knock away people at the ship's sides. Lusitannan Light Infantry will start loosing as the Pirates get within 50 feet. The Scutari will step up and throw their Javelins as the Pirates close, but Soliferum are only thrown as contact is made.

Any chance of finding out if these Pirates are using shields or armor?

Pruitt
                Last edited by Pruitt; 26 May 20, 20:46.

Comment

• Piracy in the Black Sea- The officer listens to Rojk and replies after his interpreter finishes his translation. "You may be hired mercenaries as you say, but you have not been hired by the kingdom of Colchis. Our king and his generals send out missives to the border garrisons with such news if we are to expect foreign soldiers entering the kingdom. Otherwise, I am to turn away large groups of armed men who may cause mischief and trouble."

The Lamian War-

The Battle of Lamia- TheGreek psiloi advance quickly forward seeking to screen the advance of the Thessalian heavy cavalry and clear the way for one of their famous charges. However, the Celt Bolgios had another plan. Missile fire from the Phrygian archers and peltasts assist Bolgios as his cavalry approach the psiloi and the psiloi attempt to flee instead of holding their ground as they are pelted by both javelins and arrows. The Phrygian and Celtic light cavalry gleefully run down the now routed Greeks and pursue the fleeing light infantry up to the advancing Thesslian heavy cavalry. Bolgios, confident after the destruction of the psiloi, showers the Thessalians in javelins, downing many and injuring others. The Thessalians aren't ones to take such punishment unanswered for long and they charge after Bolgios and his light cavalry, who withdraw to the left of the infantry as they had been ordered. The Thessalian commander, Calas, decides to go around the infantry formation after halting pursuit of Bolgios and he and his horsemen manage to take the flank of the Magna Graecian hypaspists before they can fully turn and face the enemy cavalry. The Thessalians crash like a violent wave onto shore right into the flank of their fellow Greeks and do extreme damage, but don't quite manage to break their enemies. The fighting is bloody as the Thessalians break apart much of the formation of the Magna Graecians, but reinforcements are coming. The Phrygians rush to join the fray, stymying the onslaught of the Thessalian cavalry with their spears and allowing time for Aegeus and Bolgios to add their own forces to the fray. Aegeus' men manage to further shore up the mercenary formation, but the arrival of Bolgios' cavalry signal death for the Thessalians. Javelins down tens of Thessalians before they charge home using javelins as spears or their shortswords. The Thessalians, beset on all sides, mount a retreat. Galloping away from the mercenaries, much bloodied, but not fully routed or destroyed. Elsewhere, it seems the Macedonian phalanx is winning, with the Greeks breaking before it. What are the orders of Bolgios and Aegeus?

Maritime Protection- The merchant ships under Pruitt's protection speed up, engaging their oars and seeking to cause the enemy ships to string themselves out in pursuit. It soon becomes clear that the pirate ships are of the most common type in the Eastern Mediterranean, the hemiolia. Such ships are the fastest in the ancient world, quicker even than ships that are just as light as they are. Nine of them quickly close to within range and Pruitt's slingers start their work. The stones aimed at the enemy pirates on deck do some damage, caving in skulls and crushing ribs among those pirates that aren't able to hide behind a shield or other obstruction. Before long, heated stones are available for the slingers to use and they hurl them at the enemy's sails, seeking to start raging fires aboard the enemy ships. The pinpoint aim of the famed Balearic slingers is shown off and hot stones start fires on three of the nine hemiolias, causing them to drop out of the chase of the merchant ships. The six that do manage to close answer the missile fire with their own, doing some damage to the mercenaries before boarding begins. Pruitt's own ship is boarded quickly with pirates with shields, armor, and swords pushing their way through the light troops before meeting the scutari. Pruitt leads his scutari forward and they cut a swathe through the rather unprepared pirates before encountering a large man that seems to be the captain. Pruitt barely hesitates a second before cutting the man down and within minutes the enemy pirate ship was his. One other ships was also captured and the others repelled. With the merchants safe, what are your orders? Pursuit of the retreating pirates? Attacks on the ones suffering from fire? Crew the captured ships? Or burn them and leave for Rhodes?

Comment

• We will crew the captured ships and continue on to Rhodes. We can see what kind of price we can get for the captured ships there. At Rhodes we can also see about hiring some sailors and more Mercs. Perhaps we can hire some Rhodian Slingers and Cretan Archers? I will know more once I see my casualties.

Pruitt

Comment

• Aegeus looks at his Hypaspists and Levy spearmen, all tired from the fighting. And at the Thessalians, broken but unbowed, riding away. He salutes Snowygerry Bolgios, and asks if his men have enough left to keep the Thessalians honest and keep them from looting the camp by skirmishing.

Aegeus looks at the right of the Greek Phalanx with blood in his eyes. The prize of every true warrior, a chance at cutting through the cream of the enemy's line. And at the archers and psiloi that protect it. Taking that opportunity would not be without risk, however.

Deciding quickly Aegeus helps a Greek hypaspist stand. You've earned the silver on your shield today, you all have stood against the best cavalry on earth, I should know. And you did not break. I ask one more thing of you, all of you. You, and the Phrygian Spearmen, shall cover the phalanx. I want you to form into ranks, not the full wall of shields, but where you can close ranks to receive any charge but also turn quickly. The Thessalians have been sorely bloodied, but they may return. Form, and protect our rear against a charge, and take some minutes to catch your breath after the fight you have given. Hopefully Bolgios and his valiant riders will keep them distracted skirmishing while the battle is won, but if they return you are the line in the sand betwixt victory and defeat. Immortality is yours this day, just a little longer and it will be finished. He motions a servant to bring his horse forward, and he mounts one of the wounded upon it. If the Thessalians return, ride to me and I will return to aid you in destroying the traitors.

Aegeus orders his archers to advance and skirmish with the enemy light troops protecting their Right. The phrygian peltasts as well. As soon as the light troops retreat, the peltasts are to throw javelins into the exposed right of the Greek Phalanx and assail it. If the peltasts get the chance to make a charge, Aegeus will lead his Samnite Peltasts in as well, hurling javelins over the heads of their compatriots and then charging home to shatter the Greeks.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• What information was Pruitt able to get from wounded Pirates on who they are and where they are based?

Pruitt

Comment

• The captured pirates speak Greek and seem to be from Crete. They do not reveal the location of their base.

Comment

• I guess we can sell them in the Rhodes Slave Market.

Pruitt

Comment

• When can we find out casualties?

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                                When can we find out casualties?

Pruitt
                                When I post them at the end of each contract. Both other contracts are still going, as is yours.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X