No announcement yet.

New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy in the Black Sea- Rojk and his men march along the coastline of Pontus, choosing the relative safety of dry land over the attractive prospect of only a three day journey by sea if following the trade routes. The journey is mostly uneventful, most bandits that catch sight of them cower at the sight of such a large armed force and the cities and villages they pass by care little so long as the mercenaries do nothing to bother them. Within a few weeks, the mercenaries reach the borders of the Kingdom of Colchis, and it seems the king was waiting for them. A cavalry force of nearly 500 men awaited them upon the road, blocking their passage further into Colchis. A man rides forth, with armor nicely polished and adorned with many precious stones and bright metals. He shouts towards the mercenaries and a man riding with him translates the speech into Greek for Rojk, “What business have you bring hundreds of armed men into the Kingdom of Colchis? Miscreants and warmongers are unwelcome here as are any that would bring harm or violence to the kingsom and its inhabitants.”

What approach will the mercenaries take?

The Lamian War- Leonnatus listens to the myriad of different plans that his subordinates propose and ponders what approach is most likely to bring him both victory and glory. Before long, he quiets the men at the table and announces that he has come to a decision. Leonnatus himself will lead the right wing with all the heavy cavalry concentrated there to best the Greek cavalry on that side, Menon would command the center with the phalanx, and the left wing would be given to the command of the mercenaries Aegeus and Bolgios. However, their full forces are not kept intact. Aegeus’ Macedonians and Epirotes are placed in the phalanx and Bolgios’ lancers are placed under Leonnatus’ command, but in lieu of the forces he has taken, Leonnatus replaces them with some of his own Phrygian levies. 500 archers, 500 peltasts, 300 light cavalry, and 750 Phrygian spearmen are sent to their aid so that they can hopefully withstand the onslaught of the presumably powerful Athenian right wing. With such matters decided quickly before Leosthenes’ arrival, the two armies meet upon a flat plain the next morning, ready to do battle.

Aegeus and Bolgios are arrayed on the left facing the Greek right wing and their opponents are a sight to behold. Thousands of Thessalian heavy cavalry armed with lances and hundreds of Greek psiloi armed with javelins are arrayed opposite of them, with the terrain seemingly favoring the cavalry due to its relative flatness and evenness.

Maritime Protection- Pruitt and his men while away their time upon the merchant ships of Kyrene, gambling and playing other games to pass the monotonous days at sea. And for the most part, the journey is uneventful and rather relaxing. The crew are appreciative that the soldiers assist in their rowing when the seas are calm and wine and food is often shared between the sailors and mercenaries. Yet, the lookouts that Pruitt has set to watch are excellent at their jobs and they manage to spot several ships coming from the west before they come too close to the merchant convoy. Barely able to makeout the ships, the lookout relays to Pruitt that there are between 8-12 ships approaching.

Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 17 May 20, 16:24.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• Pruitt passes the order to speed up. Mercs take up station on the rowing benches. Batches of Javelins and sling stones are put out. "Let us see if we can stretch out their line a bit", he calls. Clay sling stones are placed in braziers to heat up. Men who are not rowing are hid in the blinds set up.

"I want these Pirates to be strung out so we can hit them one or two at a time! I want Slingers to target the men on the rudder and any officers that are visible!. I want Javelin throwers to take out the guys that show themselves. Scutari will stay on oars until we are about to make contact and then jump out and surprise the Pirates. When they close, I want the Slingers and Missile throwers up on the platforms. Let us thank the Gods for what we are about to receive!"

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
        With such matters decided quickly before Leosthenes’ arrival, the two armies meet upon a flat plain the next morning, ready to do battle.
        Where exactly is this field of battle ? Is it the historical location near a town called Melitea ?

It seems the Macedonians were able to use "difficult" terrain in their rear to escape the Thessalian cavalry, do we have the same option ?

The Greeks, giving up the siege and burning their camp sent away to the town of Melitia the camp followers, who were useless in a pitched battle, and the baggage train, while they themselves went forward with light equipment and ready for battle in order to engage the forces of Leonnatus
        This offers us opportunities...

the Macedonian phalanx, for fear of the cavalry, at once withdrew from the plain to the difficult terrain above and gained safety for themselves by the strength of the position. When the Thessalian cavalry, which continued to attack, was unable to accomplish anything because of the rough ground, ...
        Antipater was just a day away with his army, is that the case here ?

On the next day, however, when Antipater came up with his troops and joined the defeated, all the Macedonians united in a single camp, and Antipater took command of the whole.
        http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...s/18A*.html#14

Also - do the Phrygians have their own general, or are we expected to command them ?
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 May 20, 01:44.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Where exactly is this field of battle ? Is it the historical location near a town called Melitea ?

It seems the Macedonians were able to use "difficult" terrain in their rear to escape the Thessalian cavalry, do we have the same option ?

This offers us opportunities...

Antipater was just a day away with his army, is that the case here ?

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...s/18A*.html#14

Also - do the Phrygians have their own general, or are we expected to command them ?
          No, this battle, seeing as you’re a part of it, will be ahistorical. The battle is in a level plain somewhat near the city of Lamia.

Perhaps, neither you or Tac sent scouts, so you’ll have to find out. Also, this battle is supposed to be sort of a rushed affair due to Leosthenes need to seek battle immediately.

Well, just like you have your own baggage camp with your money, families, and other personal items in it, so do the Greeks. All ancient armies have camps, which are generally left defended.

You don’t know where Antipater is, and neither Leonnatus or Leosthenes is keen to wait. Both have reasons to do battle now.

You and Tac have been appointed as commanders of the left wing of the army, as I stated before.

Comment

• The Cyrene Traders surge ahead and try to keep some of the other trading ships between them and the Pirates. Let us see if they are really after us or just looking for targets.

Pruitt

Comment

Perhaps, neither you or Tac sent scouts, .
              Well to be fair - I suggested to take my entire unit on recconaissance, but was ignored by Leonnatus

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Well to be fair - I suggested to take my entire unit on recconaissance, but was ignored by Leonnatus
                True, but you could still have sent scouts of your own accord.

Pruitt, the convoy is only filled with the ships you’re guarding. And I’ll moderate your action at the same time I moderate eveyone’s.

Comment

• Good to know, I thought I was mixing the Cyrene vessels in with traffic from Alexandria. Thanks for the heads up!

Pruitt

Comment

True, but you could still have sent scouts of your own accord.
                    Arguably I can send them now, and prepare an attack on the enemy camp too, many battles are won or lost in the "night before",

With such matters decided quickly before Leosthenes’ arrival, the two armies meet upon a flat plain the next morning, ready to do battle.
                    But I don't think I will,

Bolgios is not impressed by Leonnatus conduct here

Edit, will wait for TacCovert4 to comment though before issuing orders ?
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 May 20, 08:40.

Comment

• A message from Lord Artorius of the Sarmatians:

"We have noticed your forces in the area and heard about your encounter with Colchis. We wanted to let you know that we Sarmatians are familiar with them and we offer forces to assist in your campaign against pirates if you need them."

Mercenary Sign Up Sheet

Name-Artorius

Race- Sarmatian (Sauromatae)

Type of Force- cavalry, infantry. Cavalry force is 2/3 light horse archers and 1/3 heavy horse archers both carry both a bow and a two-handed spear, the difference is the amount of armor and melee skill. Infantry force is a 1/3 spearman, 1/3 archers, 1/3 heavy archers.

Based on:
                      Aeldary Aembaltae (Sarmatian Bodyguard Cavalry)
                      Sauromatae Fat Aexsdzhytae (Sarmatian Horse-Archers)
                      Sauromatae Arc Aexsaeg (Sarmatian Light Spearmen)
                      Sauromatae Fistaeg Fat Aexsdzhytae (Sarmatian Foot Archers)
                      Heavy archers based on these types:
                      Thureopherontes Toxotai (Bosphoran Heavy Archers)
                      Komatai Agrianai (Dacian Elite Archers)

Preferred Employment- We don’t work for the Persians and descendants and are wary of Macedonians and Thracians but will work for them if they're fighting the Persian's descendants. We’re raiders and ambushers, experts in forest camouflage with excellent stamina/endurance mounted and dismounted. We excel on the steppes or any plains where we can use our horses best. We make excellent scouts and skirmishers for foot-based armies. We also like to collect mythical relics and prefer to sit at round tables.

Mixing- Preference is given first to Sarmatians (Aorsi, Roxolani and other tribes), Scythians, Cimmerians, Alans, Massagetae, and Sakans, which we share language and culture, but mainly because they know how to ride horses and shoot recurve composite bows. For horse archers in a pinch we will accept Bosphorans, Dacians, Armenians, Dahaeans, Parthians, Baktrians, Nabateans and god forbid if we can’t find suitable mounts, we’ll accept Bedouin camel archers. If horse archers cannot be found, any heavy lancer cavalry will be temporarily substituted. For foot archers, we’ll take anyone who can demonstrate proficiency with a bow. If we have to substitute archers temporarily for slingers we will.

----
                      Sorry if the game is already locked down, but if you allow players to jump in, I'm game.
                      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• Name-Artorius

Race- Sarmatian (Sauromatae)

Type of Force-

150 Sarmatian Horse Archers

100 Heavy Sarmatian Horsearchers

150 Medium Sarmatian Spearmen

50 Sarmatian Archers

25 Heavy Sarmatian Archers

Are you looking to take part in the Black Sea Contract? I also gave you a few extra troops to make it so you weren’t too far behind the others.

Comment

• I’m interested. I’ll send a more detailed reply to that and my response to the whatstherenames later tonight
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Placeholder for Mega Post outlining Aegeus battle plan suggestions to Bolgios as the march towards the field of battle.......
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Make it a Mega New Post if you will, and qoute me, then I get one of those red notifications,
                              we got a 4 day weekend coming up here

Comment

• Before going to parley with the leader I leave instructions with my men:

’Don't provoke them, but be ready. Look casual but keep your lines. I think we have found our pirates, and they don’t seem happy about it. I will try to buy time. There is a hill about a league back that would make a good defensive position and I’ll try and get us there while we see what develops. We might have help on the way.’

He grins at his captains, ‘And if something happens to me kill that one with the trinkets. I’ll finish him off in Hades’

Rojik approaches the bejewelled rider:

‘There seems to be a misunderstanding. We were hired to bring justice to the pirates that trouble these parts. I would have thought that your king was aware of this. More so I was under the impression that your king was one of the backers. To show that we are not bandits or warmongers I will withdraw my men to that hill while you send a rider to clarify the situation. After all, it would be a sad thing if blood was shed when it may turn out that we are on the same side.’
                                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X