• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    The Lamian War-
    What say Bolgios and Aegeus ?
    Could you clarify a few things,

Antipater withdraws with Leosthenes hot on his heels. Antipater, with few options available to him, takes refuge in the city of Lamia and the two sides prepare for a siege.

Leosthenes is in control of the city of Lamia then I gather, and the siege was successful ?

What happened to Antipater and his army ?
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Could you clarify a few things,

Leosthenes is in control of the city of Lamia then I gather, and the siege was successful ?

What happened to Antipater and his army ?
      Not at all. Leosthenes was unable to make any impression so far on Antipater due to his lack of control of the sea. An army encircles Lamia whereas a field army is setting out to meet Leonnatus. This is entirely historical.

Antipater and his army, or what remains of it, still are besieged inside Lamia, though not feeling any real effects of a real siege.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• Thanks for that.

And considering the knowledge Bolgios has of all 4 armies mentioned there, what would you say is the relative strength of each ?

Comment

Thanks for that.

And considering the knowledge Bolgios has of all 4 armies mentioned there, what would you say is the relative strength of each ?
          Antipater’s force is not fully known, but likely 10-20k strong within the walls of Lamia.

Krateros has not yet arrived, but is said to come with 10-15k veterans of Alexander’s Wars.

Leonnatus fields an army roughly 22k strong without the inclusion of mercenaries.

The Greek rebels consist of mercenaries, Athenians, Aetolians, Thessalians, and a few other Greeks. A holding force around Lamia consists of 12-17k troops while Leosthenes has hastened to confront Leonnatus with 20-25k men.

Comment

• Bolgios will sit, have a drink and think about that, see what others have to say

Comment

• We will approach by land. Cav scouting at the lead, and very distrustful of the locals
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Bolgios finishes his drink and looks around the room somewhat surprised that no one has anything to say

"So, it appears that we are not in a hurry - with Antipater secure in Lamia, and Krateros on his way all we need to do is stay in the field untill our superiority is such that battle is a formality.

In view of that I suggest we do I do what I always do - recconaisance in force..."

Bolgios looks at the company clearly pleased with himself.

"We will seek out the enemy, drive in the enemy patrols and scouts, prevent them from foraging and scouting, see if we can create a local advantage somewhere and generally avoid decisive egagements untill then ?"

He sits and pours another drink.
                Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 May 20, 03:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  Pruitt's men go onboard each ships and prepare "Hiding Places" where the troops can hide until they are ready to surprise any attacking Pirates. Two places are prepared to heat clay sling pellets. These can set the other ships on fire. Lookouts will be placed on the mast while sailing.

Pruitt
                  What’s your route?

Comment

Bolgios finishes his drink and looks around the room somewhat surprised that no one has anything to say

"So, it appears that we are not in a hurry - with Antipater secure in Lamia, and Krateros on his way all we need to do is stay in the field untill our superiority is such that battle is a formality.

In view of that I suggest we do I do what I always do - recconaisance in force..."

Bolgios looks at the company clearly pleased with himself.

"We will seek out the enemy, drive in the enemy patrols and scouts, prevent them from foraging and scouting, see if we can create a local advantage somewhere and generally avoid decisive egagements untill then ?"

He sits and pours another drink.
                    I’m waiting for Tac to update this.

Comment

• Having taken his time to let the others speak, Aegeus now rises to weigh in.

"Overall, our infantry, even if slightly outnumbered, are superior to Leosthenes Army. We have proper phalangites, which have an edge over a traditional phalanx.

The problem, is Thessaly. Or more specifically their rebel cavalry. They outnumber our own, and they have a well earned reputation. Our phalanx is powerful, but it is vulnerable to an attack from the flank. My guess is Leosthenes knows this and plans to crush our cavalry with his, and then roll our phalanx up from the rear. His slight manpower advantage will let him do this."

Having laid out the sobering facts, Aegeus looks around the table and then continues:

"We need to play into this weakness. But we need to prepare a trap at the same time. Leosthenes has to be aggressive. He will know by now that Krateros is on his way with over ten thousand Alexandrian veterans, men like me and my Agema. When this army absorbs that one, Leosthenes' force is finished. He must defeat us in detail, or lose the war this season."

Letting this sink in, Aegeus continues:

"What I propose is thus. As Bolgios said, we have some light cavalry and other light troops. We should use them to screen our force. Keep Leosthenes guessing as to what our movements are. But not to truly blind him. We should move towards Lamia, as if we mean to try to relieve Antipater. Leosthenes will have to meet us. Especially since we will move in a slow and calculated manner, to reach Lamia simultaneous with Krateros."

Seeing Leonnatus bristle, Aegeus, used to councils of war and being around generals from his decades of service to Philip and Alexander, continues:

"However, Leosthenes cannot allow this. So he will move to attack us. Our movement towards Lamia will be his one opportunity to do so before Krateros dashes his hopes of anything except a blessing from the gods to win. What we will look for is the right piece of ground to give him this opportunity.

We want a place where we can anchor our left on a river, mountain, or other piece of terrain. This will also be ideal for Leosthenes, as it leaves our right, our most elite and most vulnerable flank open for his heavy cavalry to ravage. So, naturally, both of our armies will put all of our cavalry on our right flanks. Only he will have a comfortable superiority in heavy cavalry, and will be assured in that comfort.

What we will have done, is the night before we will have moved a contingent of cavalry and flexible infantry into a defile on the right. They will lay in wait in ambush until the Thessalians have committed to their charge, and then attack them from their own flank and rear. Our light troops that withdraw through the phalanx will also redeploy to the right, adding weight there that can wrap around the enemy infantry once their cavalry is destroyed. Thus, we crush his elite cavalry, and then we roll his own army up and pin it against the terrain while our Phalanx smashes through on the front.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post

What’s your route?
                        We will sail East along the coast towards Paraitonion. We will turn NW when we enter the Alexandria shipping lanes towards Rhodes.

We will sail in a tight six ship convoy of one forward, two and two with one ship bringing up the rear.

If we are attacked by one Pirate, we surprise them with hidden warriors when they close. The other ships will swarm him. If we can, we will take the ship and prisoners. We want to know where they are coming from! If more than one Pirate, we will try to gang up on as many ships as we can. We will keep a mast up so we can post a look out. I am hoping some added speed (more rowers) will allow us to dodge them the first trip.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          The problem, is Thessaly. Or more specifically their rebel cavalry. They outnumber our own, and they have a well earned reputation.
                          Bolgios nods,

'Menon of Pharsalus commands them, and they're a force to reckoned with on the field of battle, maybe 2-3000 strong.'

'The Thessalonians traditionally held Alexanders left flank, but I agree Leosthenes will likely use them as his main effort on the right given a chance, since our heavier Macedonian cavalry is probably with Krateros ?'

'But we should be able to gain the advantage over them if we can engage them in continuous small skirmishing actions, on account of our mix of light javelin cavalry and lancers...'

'Menon himself is not unreasonable - not only a good general but also politician and prominent leader among the Thessalonians, well respected by the Athenians, likely to look beyond the war at a profitable settlement,

if defeated or facing a clearly numerical superior enemy army he may well compromise rather than fight to death.'
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 May 20, 03:30.

Comment

• Aegeus nods. "And this is why we should pick terrain to offer battle on that canalizes his cavalry into a predictable direction. Whether that is terrain that lets us ambush him, or terrain that lets us use elite and flexible troops to rush into the fray when our own cavalry is fighting. That is ultimately the secret, if we can get our infantry into a fight with his even temporarily immobilized cavalry, we can hack our way through them and give our own cavalry a chance to begin enveloping the enemy flank."
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Bump?

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                                Bump?

Pruitt
                                Relax, it has only been a few days. I’ve been out fishing, close to the crappie spawn here. This will be modded soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X