New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Turn Post:

Returning to Samnium with their loot, prisoners to sell, and one particularly important and bloody set of armor, Aegeus recounts the campaign and the battle, giving credit to the valor and steadfastness of all of the forces under his command. Aegeus then presents the armor of the Consul to the Samnites as a gift and proof that not only did their second army advance Into Roman territory, but it also defeated a Roman Legion and Aegeus killed the Consul in personal combat.

Aegeus once again moves to reorganize and swell his ranks, after he distributes the hard-earned talents appropriately to the mercenaries he had personally brought into the endeavor. To the Mamertines he distributes their portion of the contract money 125 talents, along with their cut of the loot, 266 talents. To the Iberians he distributes the remaining cut of the loot, 266 talents.

Aegeus meets with the Samnites, expressing interest in hiring more of their veteran warriors to join his 'heroes'. He also notes that he would be in favor of wintering in Samnium again if the Samnites would be amenable. Aegeus also mentions that he would like to enter into private talks with the Samnite leaders in reference to a matter for the next campaign.

Aegeus, knowing the value of hoplites, but knowing that full phalangite-hypaspists have far more potential, drills his Neapolitan Greeks mercilessly with the Sarissa, teaching them the differences in combat between the defensive Hoplite phalanx and the highly offensive Macedonian Phalanx. He emphasizes that they all know what they will face next season, and none of them wish to go toe to toe with Roman legionary hoplites again without the critical edge given by the sarissa to wedge through the Roman lines. Knowing that the way of war in this region is more in line with hypaspists than with the phalanx, he also ensures that each man have a few javelins and that they practice what has always been the sport of greek youth, throwing the javelin. While not yet truly worthy of the silver shields (and so they don't bear them yet), the Greek Hypaspists are drilled and are equipped, and each Greek is a veteran and a survivor of a battle against nigh overwhelming odds.

Sending out an offer of a bounty for those men on the Penninsula who can demonstrate their skill at arms and a pedigree of Macedonian or Epirote training and heritage, he receives 102 Epirote veterans. More skilled with the difficult sarissa than his hoplites, Aegeus knows that these men will be the center of his phalanx in any battle against the Roman hoplite phalanx, helping to steady the Greeks while the Greeks cover their flanks. Each of the Epirotes arrives equipped more as a peltast than as a phalangite. Not batting an eye, Aegeus invests the remains of his funds into commissioning sarissas for each of them, though unfortunately his finances are not so extensive as to let him upgrade their armor or shields to make a uniform host yet. Aegeus has his second make a note to see who among the Epirotes is worthy of a Silver Shield for the future replenishment of his Agema, and plans to upgrade their armor as soon as practicable.

Aegeus also recruits more Samnites, bolstering his ranks with some of the fresh veterans who showed bravery and skill over the previous season, including the best of those who had served with him in his campaign. Aegeus knows that he will need a core of veteran Peltasts, not only to protect his flanks in a battle or to skirmish, but also to form a loyal and skilled cadre for swelling his forces at Neapolis the next season.

Company name: Adelfoi Argyron Aspidon

Race: Macedonian, Greek, Samnite

Current forces:

Agema Hypaspist Elites: 87 (Heavy Armor, Aspis, Sarissa, Xiphos, Javelins)

Samnite "Heroes" Veteran Peltasts: 69 (Medium Armor, Scutum, Xiphos, Javelins)

Greek Hoplites: 450 (Heavy Armor, Aspis, Dora, Xiphos)

Forces After Recruitment:

Agema Elite Hypaspists: 87 (heavy armor, aspis, sarissa, xiphos, javelins)

Greek Veteran Hypaspists: 450 (heavy armor, aspis, Sarissa, xiphos, javelins)

Samnite Hero Peltasts: 86 (medium armor, scutum, xiphos, javelins)

Epirote Elite Phalangites: 102 (medium armor, telamon shield, sarissa, xiphos, javelins)

Company treasury:

Starting = 0

Gained During Contract= 125t - Payment. 266t - Loot.

Total = 391t

Paid salaries = 150t (Greeks), 16t (everyone else).

Recruitment Costs

17 x Samnite 'hero' Veteran Peltasts = 2 kit + 1 Veterans = 51

Purchasing Javelins and re-hafting Doras into Sarissas = 10t

102 x Epirote Veterans + Sarissas = 1.5 hiring +.1 Sarissa = 163.2t

New Balance = .8t

Wintering at: Samnium
    Last edited by TacCovert4; 03 May 20, 19:20.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Pruitt sends out recruiting parties to North Italy. He is looking for Light Infantry, Slingers and Medium Infantry if he has enough money. They call on the Ligurnians and offer employment for a few good men, all veterans. We want the following:
      10 Italian Slingers
      50 Ligurian Light Infantry
      Who wants a bash at the Romans?

Pruitt's Iberians have
      175 Scutari
      90 Light Infantry
      65 Balearic Slingers
      25 Light Cavalry

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
      Finances- Not sure how much contract income I am due. I will leave 26 Talents in the Kitty until I get better information.

Infantry Kits

Light infantry kit- 1/2 talent

Medium Infantry Kit- 2 talents

Heavy Infantry Kit- 3 talents

Light Cavalry Kit/Mount- 5 talents

Medium Cavalry Kit/Mount- 7 talents

Heavy Cavalry Kit/Mount- 9 talents

New Soldier Recruitment Cost

1/2 talent green

1 talent Veteran

Soldier Pay/Upkeep- 355X 1.5= 5.26T

1/10th of a talent per a man

Wounded will be healed in this intervening period between turns.
      Will winter where Tac winters.

Last edited by Pruitt; 02 May 20, 16:29.
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Yuh ou get 266t from the campaign. The contract rate was already divided, you only get a cut of the loot.

Comment

• Can I get 20 Scutari up in North Italy? That will give me 60 less in the warchest and give me 20 more veteran Medium Infantry.

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            Can I get 20 Scutari up in North Italy? That will give me 60 less in the warchest and give me 20 more veteran Medium Infantry.

Pruitt
            Del can provide better details. No, iberian scutarii would be a bit of a stretch. But you could recruit from among the ranks of the tribes here in southern Italy if you so choose. And they have pretty much the same types of troops as what you're fielding for the most part.

Comment

• I thought of that AFTER I sent it. Ligurian Infantry is classed Light Infantry but with an update in kit can function as Medium Infantry. If I buy 20 Medium Infantry kits I can upgrade 20 Iberian Light Infantry to Medium Infantry? That may be the easiest way out of this. I don't want to start recruiting Southern Italians yet.

20 medium armor kits would be 40 Talents instead of 60 and it leaves me with a little more in the Kitty.

Pruitt

Comment

• If I might suggest, promote if you can internally to your scutarii. But keep in mind that if you want to promote your own veterans/survivors in kit, you could purchase the kit and recruit new and that would give you new guys with the lighter kit and your veterans get the heavier kit.

The big thing here is to keep it concise. Look at my post just prior to yours and map yours off of that.

Comment

• If you look to recruit from outside the immediate vicinity in which you are wintering, it will take 1-2 turns for the recruits to reach you depending on distance.

also, Pruitt can you use the worksheets I provided?
                  First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    If you look to recruit from outside the immediate vicinity in which you are wintering, it will take 1-2 turns for the recruits to reach you depending on distance.

also, Pruitt can you use the worksheets I provided?
                    I tried making a copy of your spread sheet and the first time I went through it I just added pertinent information. I must of edited it before I posted it. I am still feeling some effects of my hospital stay. North Italy recruits should get to Neapolis before the end of Winter?

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

I tried making a copy of your spread sheet and the first time I went through it I just added pertinent information. I must of edited it before I posted it. I am still feeling some effects of my hospital stay. North Italy recruits should get to Neapolis before the end of Winter?

Pruitt
                      Eh, it’s a little far since this is south central Italy. But it’s fine.
                      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• After planning his expenditures but before making them, Aegeus is reminded by one of his Agema that large numbers of veterans of the Macedonian Epirotes remain throughout the region in various garrisons, growing in age and in boredom. Aegeus sends missives to these Greek cities which find themselves with Epirote soldiers marooned from home and having no leader yet worthy to lead them in battle. His missives note in detail how Aegeus is a veteran of long service to Alexander the Great, and how Aegeus led the small force that destroyed a quarter of a Roman legion two years ago and how he led the Army that raided the Roman sphere through Campania, netting large sums of loot and defeating a full Roman legion in battle including killing their Consul, the highest office in Rome, in personal combat. Aegeus offers the recruitment plus 5 years of payment, 1.5 talents, up front to veteran Macedonian or Epirote Soldiers of the Phalanx, Peltasts, or Cavalry who wish to join in his endeavor. He promises hard campaigning with plenty of adventure, victory, and loot to be had by all.

Comment

• Can I make a change in my recruiting list? I want 15 Medium Armor Kits so I can change some Lusitanan Light Infantry into Scutari. I also want to hire some Green Ligurian Cavalry at 5 Talents each. This should get me at least 35 Ligurians Light Cavalry. This comes out to 30 talents + 175 Talents, sum is 205 Talents.

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                            Antipater- satrap of European provinces, older man with many connections and a large amount of prestige
                            Perdiccas- regent of the empire, guardian of Phillip IV and Alexander IV
                            Leonatus- Companion of Alexander and has royal background. Satrap of several provinces in Asia Minor. In talks with Cleopatra, Alexander’s sister, for marriage. Currently on his way to put down the Greek revolt
                            Krateros- Another of the old guard like Antipater, one of Alexander’s chief generals. Sent home to Macedonia to take over as satrap and to take 10,000 veterans back to Macedonia by a fleet he was tasked to build under Alexander’s orders. He is also on his way to help put down the Greek revolt.
                            I see - tnx for that,

doesn't look too good for the Greek revolt then
                            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• I hear Illyria and Italy are nice this time of year..

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I see - tnx for that,

doesn't look too good for the Greek revolt then
                                Actually there could be potential opportunities in Italy in a season or two.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X