X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    Bolgios finishes his drink and looks around the room somewhat surprised that no one has anything to say

"So, it appears that we are not in a hurry - with Antipater secure in Lamia, and Krateros on his way all we need to do is stay in the field untill our superiority is such that battle is a formality.

In view of that I suggest we do I do what I always do - recconaisance in force..."

Bolgios looks at the company clearly pleased with himself.

"We will seek out the enemy, drive in the enemy patrols and scouts, prevent them from foraging and scouting, see if we can create a local advantage somewhere and generally avoid decisive egagements untill then ?"

He sits and pours another drink.
    I’m waiting for Tac to update this.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Pruitt's men go onboard each ships and prepare "Hiding Places" where the troops can hide until they are ready to surprise any attacking Pirates. Two places are prepared to heat clay sling pellets. These can set the other ships on fire. Lookouts will be placed on the mast while sailing.

Pruitt
    What’s your route?

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Bolgios finishes his drink and looks around the room somewhat surprised that no one has anything to say

"So, it appears that we are not in a hurry - with Antipater secure in Lamia, and Krateros on his way all we need to do is stay in the field untill our superiority is such that battle is a formality.

In view of that I suggest we do I do what I always do - recconaisance in force..."

Bolgios looks at the company clearly pleased with himself.

"We will seek out the enemy, drive in the enemy patrols and scouts, prevent them from foraging and scouting, see if we can create a local advantage somewhere and generally avoid decisive egagements untill then ?"

He sits and pours another drink.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 May 20, 03:10.

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    We will approach by land. Cav scouting at the lead, and very distrustful of the locals

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Bolgios will sit, have a drink and think about that, see what others have to say

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Thanks for that.

And considering the knowledge Bolgios has of all 4 armies mentioned there, what would you say is the relative strength of each ?
    Antipater’s force is not fully known, but likely 10-20k strong within the walls of Lamia.

Krateros has not yet arrived, but is said to come with 10-15k veterans of Alexander’s Wars.

Leonnatus fields an army roughly 22k strong without the inclusion of mercenaries.

The Greek rebels consist of mercenaries, Athenians, Aetolians, Thessalians, and a few other Greeks. A holding force around Lamia consists of 12-17k troops while Leosthenes has hastened to confront Leonnatus with 20-25k men.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Thanks for that.

And considering the knowledge Bolgios has of all 4 armies mentioned there, what would you say is the relative strength of each ?

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied

Could you clarify a few things,

Leosthenes is in control of the city of Lamia then I gather, and the siege was successful ?

What happened to Antipater and his army ?
    Not at all. Leosthenes was unable to make any impression so far on Antipater due to his lack of control of the sea. An army encircles Lamia whereas a field army is setting out to meet Leonnatus. This is entirely historical.

Antipater and his army, or what remains of it, still are besieged inside Lamia, though not feeling any real effects of a real siege.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    The Lamian War-
    What say Bolgios and Aegeus ?
    Could you clarify a few things,

Antipater withdraws with Leosthenes hot on his heels. Antipater, with few options available to him, takes refuge in the city of Lamia and the two sides prepare for a siege.

Leosthenes is in control of the city of Lamia then I gather, and the siege was successful ?

What happened to Antipater and his army ?

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Pruitt's men go onboard each ships and prepare "Hiding Places" where the troops can hide until they are ready to surprise any attacking Pirates. Two places are prepared to heat clay sling pellets. These can set the other ships on fire. Lookouts will be placed on the mast while sailing.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    No materials, cash, or expertise aboard to build catapults.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Can we put a small catapult onboard? Something big enough to fling a jar of hot coals on closing ships.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Maritime Protection-

Pruitt’s horses are freely stabled by his employers and the merchants do their best to build the platforms on their ships to his specifications with the materials they have at hand. Their ships are from 250 to 500 tons and of the Kerkouros type, with combined rowing and sailing capabilities. The offer to help row is appreciated and they i form Pruitt that they generally follow the coast of Libya before voyaging across the sea towards Rhodes. Generally Crete is avoided if possible due to its reputation.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    The Lamian War-

Bolgios and Aegeus arrive just as the war council is set to begin within the confines of the command tent. Leonnatus sits at the head of the table, easily recognized by his regal bearing and fine armor. His officers are mainly Macedonians with a few Greeks and Asians also present, likely natives from his satrapy. Leonnatus notices the arrival of the mercenary captains and beckons for them to sit before addressing his men. “There are some things that I have already determined and one of them is that we must meet the Greeks on the field of battle. They have revolted against the empire and we must be the ones to crush their resistance and return them to the fold. What remains is how we shall defeat Leosthenes and his coalition. Their cavalry is likely superior, I admit that. The desertion of the famed Thessalians has certainly hamstrung our ability to operate in the field, but all is not lost. Our phalanx is unbeatable and we have veterans here that have crushed the Greeks before and can do so again. Before I decide my course of action, I would seek counsel from you all, my officers.” Some of the officers advocate for a night attack to nullify the enemy’s superiority in cavalry and numbers, others recommend a battle in the open field, and others yet, though few and quietly, say to await reinforcements. What say Bolgios and Aegeus?

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Pruitt arranges for his Light Cavalry horses to be stabled in Kyrene. That handled, he orders a light platform built over the bow and aft. of each boat. There is room for five to ten missile troops on each. Each boat will receive a mixed crew of troops and they will rotate to sea and on land. A typical crew will be ten Balearic Slingers, ten Light Infantry, and fifteen Scutari. Troops left in Kyrene will train in formations and short marches. Troops onboard ships will help row when needed. Ships will travel in Convoy and practice formation sailing. Light Infantry will practice throwing Javelins with burning material attached.

Pruitt asks to see what course the ships always steer. It might be better to steer for Crete first and then turn for Rhodes.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X