New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegeus answers.

I have heard of many gods, of many pantheons. And I have utterly destroyed no few of them myself. So while I venerate the gods, I do not hold as much stock in them as some. Instead I will say it before you all. And my Agema will witness thus. And the gods can witness what they may and do what they may, mortals do not dictate to their attentions. You have debts. Those debts will be absolved, provided you all fight like the very hounds of Hades when required, for we are not done visiting death and pain upon the Roman....we have riches, or glories, or both left to us this campaign, for we will continue to raid Campania, all the more important if we are to build a war chest to fend off Rome next season, aye! And when this present campaign is over, we will make plans to take Neapolis. I am no fool, I was at Tyre among other cities. A city can be a challenge if things are not meticulously planned. And if we are to take Neapolis next year, there are plans aplenty that must be made, contacts that must be gained, allies that must be courted, recruits that must be secured and trained, and that list could go on to Macedonia herself. So for now, just know this, your debt is my debt. And your goal is my goal. And we will finish this campaign with a single mind to gain the funds we must needs have to win a campaign next year, and then we will turn our eyes upon our home, for some which has always been, and for others which soon will be. And we will plan and train and build and talk and do what needs to be done to ensure that our home comes back into our possession without fire and blood filling the streets and with preparations made and allies gained to defend it against the inevitable Roman counter assault.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      Aegeus answers.

I have heard of many gods, of many pantheons. And I have utterly destroyed no few of them myself. So while I venerate the gods, I do not hold as much stock in them as some. Instead I will say it before you all. And my Agema will witness thus. And the gods can witness what they may and do what they may, mortals do not dictate to their attentions. You have debts. Those debts will be absolved, provided you all fight like the very hounds of Hades when required, for we are not done visiting death and pain upon the Roman....we have riches, or glories, or both left to us this campaign, for we will continue to raid Campania, all the more important if we are to build a war chest to fend off Rome next season, aye! And when this present campaign is over, we will make plans to take Neapolis. I am no fool, I was at Tyre among other cities. A city can be a challenge if things are not meticulously planned. And if we are to take Neapolis next year, there are plans aplenty that must be made, contacts that must be gained, allies that must be courted, recruits that must be secured and trained, and that list could go on to Macedonia herself. So for now, just know this, your debt is my debt. And your goal is my goal. And we will finish this campaign with a single mind to gain the funds we must needs have to win a campaign next year, and then we will turn our eyes upon our home, for some which has always been, and for others which soon will be. And we will plan and train and build and talk and do what needs to be done to ensure that our home comes back into our possession without fire and blood filling the streets and with preparations made and allies gained to defend it against the inevitable Roman counter assault.
      The Neapolitan Greeks accept Aegeus’ proposal, he is their new commander.

Gained-
      300 hoplites
      150 wounded hoplites
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• With the Romans temporarily leaderless, and his own problems solved in a single night, Aegeus knows that it could be a week or more before the Romans can act cohesively....unless they happen to be now ersatz commanded by the most ambitious, competent, and articulate of Tribunes. He acts swiftly, organizing an order of march with the Sons of Mars in the Vanguard, given their head to loot Roman villages and estates as they continue to march through Roman territory in a roundabout loop back to Samnite country. Aegeus wants the Romans to feel the pain, and wants to wreak as much havoc upon Campania as possible without exposing his army to undue risk.

Pruitt's Iberians and his own troops form the rearguard, for Aegeus knows that within a few days the Tribune will have the legion on the march after him regardless of word from Rome and he will command from the rear of the column where he can identify a threat the fastest. Both of his captains with cavalry are ordered to maintain scouting and to always have a good piece of terrain identified for the Army to go to if the Roman pursuit becomes close and it appears that a general engagement will have to be fought. The preferred ground would be a wooded hill, though thick woods or brush, or a hill with broken terrain that would make the use of a phalanx extremely 'problematic' are acceptable alternatives. The Samnites and Lucanians form the center of the line of march.

Aegeus aims are as follows:

1) Steal a March on the Romans while they're still recuperating from the battle and the loss of their Consul and the attached command chain issues.

2) Gain more funds through raiding. More Funds are always important, especially with a likely fight near Neapolis next season.

3) Present the Romans with the ever-present dillemma. Either attack his Army on ground of his choosing, merely shadow his army and accomplish little, or wait for orders or a new consul to be sent from Rome and place the blame upon the now dead consul for throwing his life away without actually stopping the incursion.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Rojik smiles as he listens to the chatter from the ranks.
          ’I caught me self a real pretty back in that last place. She was as good as I’ve ever had. I wanted to send her back and make her my wifey when this is over, but no, our bloody captain says we will get more in the next place. It was a shame to kill her’. He brightens. ‘But I did get this’, and holds up a bloody gold ring.
          Its a good sign. Soldiers grumbling is normal. It’s when they go quiet things are really bad.
          ’Atretia’, he says, remembering the mans name and clapping him on the shoulder. ’In a couple of days we will have rich high born Roman woman under us. The type that wear rings ten times better than that, and on each finger. But between them and their gold and glory stands a Roman army that wants you in the cold hard ground rather than share in their riches. So keep smart. A pocket of gold and a pretty tart mean nothing to a dead man. After this is over we will live like kings, but until then we are soldiers, and we live like that.’
          The men nod remembering the brutality of the last battle.
          ’oh Atretia. That ring is copper. Peasant girls carry no gold. Rich Roman senators daughters do.’
          The surrounding men laugh.
          ’Eyes open, lads, or they will be closed forever’
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• The Samnite War- The mercenaries quickly march away from the site of the battle, seeking to lose the Roman army and be on their way. Yet, they wander deeper into Campania, hoping to loot enough to fund their future endeavors. The Roman tribune in command is not lax in his duties and immediately follows the mercenaries, his scouts easily able to keep up with the raiders and nearby Roman citizens keep him up to date on the movements of the mercenaries. The Roman cavalry and velites are used to dissuade the mercenaries from stopping in any one place too long and small numbers of mercenaries are constantly under attack with javelins raining down upon their forces. The mercenaries are unable to do much looting under such a heavy watch, but the Roman tribune declines to force a battle and eventually the mercenaries are able to return to Samnite territory.

Losses-
            3 Alexandrian Veterans KIA
            15 Samnite Heroes KIA

10 Scutari KIA
            5 Iberian Spearmen KIA
            5 Balearic Slingers KIA

Loot- 200 talents

Comment

• That’s the end of the turn. I’ll be posting Snowy’s event where he gains or loses warriors and some of the happenings among the NPCs as well.

Please turn in your end of turn sheets as well as purchase sheets!

Comment

• The Samnite War-

The Battle of Arpinum-

With one Roman legion satisfactorily distracted and led away by Aegeus and his mercenaries, the Samnites decided to offer battle to the remaining Roman consul and his legion. Despite being outnumbered, the Romans accepted battle and in a hard fought battle were overwhelmed by the Samnites. The consul and several thousand Romans managed to retreat, but they had been soundly defeated.

The Lamian War-

The Argead campaign to conquer Cappadocia has been successful, King Ariarathes has been defeated and crucified by the victorious regent Perdiccas in a large display of power.

Leonatus, close friend and companion of Alexander, has left his satrapy in Asia Minor with an army and is said to be on his way to assist in putting down the Greek rebellion. While heading to Greece, it is said that Alexander’s full sister, Cleopatra, talked with him of a marriage proposal to be entered into after the defeat of the Greeks. Such a marriage and Leonatus’ royal line of descent would likely place him first in line for the throne and start a civil war with the regent Perdiccas.

Craterus, another extremely popular general and Diadochi, has finished building his fleet in Asia Minor and is heading to Greece with his Alexandrian Veterans to take over his new post as governor of Macedonia and Greece and put down the Greek rebellion.

Comment

• Bolgios-

News of Bolgios’ heroism and valor in defending the pass has spread and many Celtic heroes and warriors have come to fight by his side and earn wealth and glory.

100 Celtic Light Cavalry
                  190 Celtic Lancers

Comment

• I need to beg a little help here. What I have in mind is paying salaries and seeing how much I have left to hire new troops. Can someone walk me through this? I am unsure how much I have in the paybox.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Finances-

Infantry Kits

Light infantry kit- 1/2 talent

Medium Infantry Kit- 2 talents

Heavy Infantry Kit- 3 talents

Light Cavalry Kit/Mount- 5 talents

Medium Cavalry Kit/Mount- 7 talents

Heavy Cavalry Kit/Mount- 9 talents

New Soldier Recruitment Cost

1/2 talent green

1 talent Veteran

Soldier Pay/Upkeep

1/10th of a talent per a man

Wounded will be healed in this intervening period between turns.

Comment

• End of Turn Post-

Company name:

Race:

Current forces:

Forces After Recruitment:

Company treasury:

Starting =

Gained During Contract=

Total =

Paid salaries =

Recruitment Costs=

New Balance =

Wintering at:

Comment

• I am still trying to get a better handle on income. The first battle has 600T for Dan, Rojik and I to split (thinking 150T for me) and in the second Dan and I split 200. No payment from the Samnites? Looks like I will only get some Light Troops this round. Can I get them from Iberia or from Carthagenian lands in Sicily? Maybe some are on Crete?

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            I am still trying to get a better handle on income. The first battle has 600T for Dan, Rojik and I to split (thinking 150T for me) and in the second Dan and I split 200. No payment from the Samnites? Looks like I will only get some Light Troops this round. Can I get them from Iberia or from Carthagenian lands in Sicily? Maybe some are on Crete?

Pruitt
                            All I do is list the contract amounts in the turn start thread and the amount of loot gained from battles and raiding. How you and your fellow mercenaries split it up is entirely up to you guys. Probably should ask what your split is.

Your recruitment pool is generally from your surroundings and where you decide to winter. If you wish to send for troops from farther away, it will take time.

Comment

• The Argead campaign to conquer Cappadocia has been successful, King Ariarathes has been defeated and crucified by the victorious regent Perdiccas in a large display of power.
                              And Leosthenes ? Did he meet his historical end or does he work for Perdiccas now ?

Does this new regent govern from Athens ?

Is he related to this one,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perdiccas#Diadoch

Once again we will form in 3 'lines'

2nd Lancers 275, 1st Lancers 200, LT 200.

New recruits are trained during winter by veterans to simply manoeuvre as a unit, and by various subdivisions on a field.
                              Last edited by Snowygerry; 02 May 20, 02:07.
                              Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

And Leosthenes ? Did he meet his historical end or does he work for Perdiccas now ?

Does this new regent govern from Athens ?

Is he related to this one,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perdiccas#Diadoch

Once again we will form in 3 'lines'

2nd Lancers 275, 1st Lancers 200, LT 200.

New recruits are trained during winter by veterans to simply manoeuvre as a unit, and by various subdivisions on a field.
                                He yet lives, but why would he work for the regent? He’s in the process of revolting from the Argead Empire, who Perdiccas is the regent of.

Yes, Perdiccas is the historical regent, but the capital of the empire is in Babylon.

Antipater- satrap of European provinces, older man with many connections and a large amount of prestige
                                Perdiccas- regent of the empire, guardian of Phillip IV and Alexander IV
                                Leonatus- Companion of Alexander and has royal background. Satrap of several provinces in Asia Minor. In talks with Cleopatra, Alexander’s sister, for marriage. Currently on his way to put down the Greek revolt
                                Krateros- Another of the old guard like Antipater, one of Alexander’s chief generals. Sent home to Macedonia to take over as satrap and to take 10,000 veterans back to Macedonia by a fleet he was tasked to build under Alexander’s orders. He is also on his way to help put down the Greek revolt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X