No announcement yet.

New Ancient Wargame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still need replies from TAG, Tac, and Caesar.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• Would my infantry be considered Medium or heavy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Caesar Josephus View Post
        Would my infantry be considered Medium or heavy?
        Medium.

Comment

• Aegeus gets word that the two legions are marching together, and that his employer expects him to lure one legion away from the other.

Taking notes from his long expeditions, he decides. "We shall maintain our marching order and general battle plan. But instead of making contact and trying to draw them out, we will advance into Roman territory somewhat, all the while looking for terrain that suits our preferred battle plans. We will deny battle, but we will force him to deploy a response, for we will threaten his lands which he must succor."

Aegeus tells the Samnites his own direction of travel will be towards the West coast, and that they should make their efforts east to pull a legion towards them as well, force the Romans to split their forces with more than a few days march between them.

Aegeus has scouts sent to keep an eye on the Romans and apprise him of his movements, using his long wartime experience to match wits with the certainly less experienced Roman Consuls. He then sends scouting parties to locate likely places along his route to fight a battle or to move to to avoid contact with the Romans, such as bogs, forests, broken terrain. Finally, Aegeus leads from the front, with the Mamertines out forward of the column in a scouting vanguard with orders to loot and burn once they've hit Roman territory, Aegeus intends to force the Romans to travel light and fast, without opportunity for their heavy equipment or supply trains to keep up, and burn crops and stores that he himself cannot use in order to deny the Romans the benefit of living off the land even as he forces the citizen-soldiers to exhaust themselves chasing his army of predominately hardened professionals which are to a man lighter and swifter afoot than the Roman hoplites.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• I have enjoyed watching this game play out. I hope you can get some more rounds in.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• I’m available to mod, just need to know if I have players really.

Comment

• I’m here.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• I will play if you need more people. I have in mind a band of Iberian Mercenaries trying to get home:
                  Iberian Light Cavalry (enough to scout with)
                  Gestikapoinann (Lusotannan Light Spearmen)
                  Iberian Scutari (Medium Spearmen)
                  Balearic Light Infantry (mix of Psiloi types)

Pruitt

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    I will play if you need more people. I have in mind a band of Iberian Mercenaries trying to get home:

Pruitt
                    That’s doable. I‘ll post your exact numbers in a little bit. And also I’ll give everyone a day to check in and I’ll move forward with whoever does.

Comment

• I’ll be using Tac’s orders, and give mine as things develop
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                        I’ll be using Tac’s orders, and give mine as things develop
                        Noted.

I would need to hear from Caesar, TAG, and Snowy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                          If at all possible, we need to occupy the mountain passes there before the enemy makes it on to the field of battle.

Bolgios will suggest to take his unit on a reconnaissance in force to test the enemy strength (delay them) and map out their position a few days before we attack.
                          Ah sorry, I was waiting for the conclusion of the war council....

So if my proposal above is accepted, Bolgios will set out immediately, light cavalry will be split in as many detachments as there are mountain passes on our maps, recon and guard them, patrols of 3 will be sent far up all the approaches to provide early warning and determine the strength and direction of enemy movement a few days before the actual battle.

They will disrupt enemy scouting if encountered and question the locals to see if they can be recruited for our cause.

Bolgios himself with the Lancers will be in a central position so they can support any of the forward detachments if needed, and receive their reports.

Leosthenes will be kept informed of all enemy activity.

Naturally - since we have an all cavalry force, infantry support will have to be sent after us if any of the passes has to be defended against a determined attack.
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Apr 20, 02:15.
                          Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            I will play if you need more people. I have in mind a band of Iberian Mercenaries trying to get home:

Pruitt
                            200 Iberian Scutari (medium infantry)
                            100 Lusitanian Spearmen (light infantry)
                            75 Balearic Slingers (missile infantry)
                            25 Iberian Light Cavalry (light missile cavalry)

pick out a contract that was posted earlier.

Comment

• I am asking TAC if he has room for one more.

Pruitt

Comment

• The Samnite War- Aegeus and his fellow mercenaries and Samnite subordinates follow him willingly and loyally through the difficult terrain, stopping to pillage and burn fields, houses, manors, and villages as they went through Roman territory in Campania. The consul C. Sulpicius Longus II was astonished that the Samnites dared to attack Roman territory rather than protect their own homes, but his stubborn Roman character and natural aggressiveness persuaded Longus that he must stop the Samnite raiding parties. Departing from his fellow consul's camp he takes his own legion in hot pursuit, witnessing a trail of burned out buildings and fields that spanned miles. Finally, scouts reported an attack on a village just through a small copse, and Longus eagerly ordered his men to march lightly and quickly ahead. Aegeus and his compatriots Pruitt and rojk were delighted that the consul was marching willingly into their trap and patiently waited for the opportune moment to strike. However, some of the undisciplined and green Samnite recruits accidentally revealed Aegeus' plan too soon before the Romans were within the jaws of the trap and horns blew and men shouted as the Romans marshalled their strength and prepared to face their enemy within the brush and trees.

The Lamian War- Bolgios' patrols roamed the passes around Thermopylae, hoping to block Antipater's escape from Greece and confine him to the Greece where he could be bested by the free Greeks. One of these patrols is successful, noticing a detachment of Antipater's cavalry force had had seized the heights of one of the main passes. The light cavalry make an attempt to dislodge the Macedonian light cavalry and are successful with few casualties, but before long the light cavalry report that Antipater seems determined to retake the pass, having sent what appears to be his entire cavalry force to retake the pass and infantry likely only an hour or so behind his cavalry. Bolgios must decide whether to hold the pass against Antipater's cavalry and await infantry reinforcements or abandon the pass and hope to catch Antipater after he has cleared Thermopylae and is on his way back to Macedonia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X