Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    (…)
    The Penitent definitely deserves a place in the command squad, but however deadly a killer he may be true leadership is challenging for a hero who refuses to speak.
    A silent "champion" is much better yes

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    (…) Apothecary: Maybe Karrack? If he can be Chief Apothecary, maybe another non-notable Apothecary instead ?
    There's a fellow called Max Falkyr who's an Apothecary too..

These Apothecaries function as "combat medics" I imagine ?

I'll just second K.'s nominations above since they put "named" characters in most required functions, and we can watch their performance and move on.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 May 19, 02:49.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Apothecaries are combat doctors whose main mission in the field is to stay alive and collect the gene-seed from fallen Space Marines to ensure survival of the Chapter. Outside battles they do the healing, monitor the bodies of their brothers, conduct research and most importantly do the necessary surgeries for the implants that make Space Marines.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Apothecary
      From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
      Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
      "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

It is my intent to update this coming weekend. So you have few days to discuss and choose who fills the empty spots.

Comment

Suggestions of Appointment:

Chief Librarian: Bast Potern

Though he has been steady and constant in his duties, as senior Epistolary in the Chapter Bast must rise to the responsibility.
          The risks of Gotch's practice of daemonmancy make him unfit for the position due to the dangers inherent in the practice. Where the smallest risk of falling to heresy might appear it cannot be allowed to be in the position of leadership wherever avoidable, ere the spectres of Horus, Inquisitor Quixos, etc. Feder Gracchus has too much value to the combat teams to be removed to the position of Chief Librarian unless there is no other option.

Master of Sanctity: Isaiah Capon

There is no realistic alternative at this time, and perhaps it is for the best as his aggressive nature might be better harnessed to the spiritual care of the Chapter entire rather than a specific battle group.

Master of the Forge: Jonah Vinus

At the risk of offending the Adeptus Mechanicus, there may be great value in an unorthodox approach to the direction of the Chapter Forge. Adaptations, and innovations, though frowned upon by the Mechanicus could well mean the difference between success and failure for this Chapter at this time. After all there are no Adeptus Astartes still using Mk III armour anymore. Innovation improved those tools. Aligned with oversight by the Chaplain I believe the risk of Vinus becoming corrupted are minimal.

1st Company Captain: Akir Inokus

Inokus' focus on training and aggression provide powerful foundations for the Company to grow with. His ability to combine commands shows his flexibility as well as a honed focus of priorites, and strong capable judgement. All key qualities required in a Company commander.

10th Company Captain: Valien Grafft

There is a value in a commander being drawn from a different company. It allows for clarity of command, and a clean slate for both the troops as well as the commander. There are also benefits in raising the commander from within the ranks. This is the time for that choice. Trust, reliance and brotherhood are strong motivators as well as one less thing a commander needs to focus on building when the straits are as dire for the chapter as they are now.

I support these Build Orders: 6 x suits Mk VIII Power Armour (60 BP in all)

We have reasonable equipment in our armoury, if mostly standard. I would like to put our 1st Company command squad into reinforced armour even at the cost of standardisation. They are likely to be put into the hottest fires and the most desperate situations (at least until our assault company and honour guard are reactivated), and keeping them alive is worth the investment in my view. The extra suit will stand as a spare, either for the Chapter Master (if we're keeping him out of Terminator Armour for some reason) or if repairs on a damaged suit take it offline at the wrong moment.
          BoRG
          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Good suggestions from Arthwys, with some nice explanations why. I see some choices be rather certain, especially Capon and The Penitent, but with Arthwys throwing his ideas in, I can wait longer if anyone wants to discuss the suggestions. Otherwise I will go with the decision with most votes/support.

Comment

++Date:943.M41++
              Aboard Strike Cruiser Magnificent
              In transit in warp
              Turn 0 Part 3

1st Company Captain - Angus Valerian
              1st Company Champion - The Penitent
              10th Company Captain - Valien Grafft
              Chief Librarian - Joshua Gotch
              Master of Sanctity - Isaiah Capon
              Master of the Forges - Gregorius Vero

You have been thinking about this a lot since the emergency jump into warp. Frankly you haven’t had anything else to think, who will fill the now empty positions in the Chapter leadership.

Several names had come to your mind, but in the end you had chosen Angus Valerian. His experience over leading troops and cooperating with other forces of Imperium put him over others. Akir Inokus came really close to be chosen, as you had seen his performance before and his attitude and skills would have made him a great front line commander, but now the Chapter requires something more.

Valien Grafft was easy choice. While Thaddeus Damm came to your mind, Graffts experience as a scout is too valuable to be put aside.

You would have also liked to make Bast Potern your Chief Librarian, but Joshua Gotch literally saved the Chapter with his skill of farseeing. He is just too valuable to be used on the field as a fighter instead of in the Librarium where his skills are put to best use.

Just like the choice of Angus Valerian, the choice who will become the Master of th Forges was hard to make. Finally Gregorius Vero won over Jonah Vinus. You felt that while Vinus has the know-how to make your gear more efficient and that his skills at commanding vehicles are important, Veros skills fit the current situation of the Chapter more than what Vinus has for offer.

Finally the choices of The Penitent to become the 1st Company Champion and Isaiah Capon becoming the Master of Sanctity were easy to make. Both of them fit their roles perfectly with no one else really being suitable for either role, especially with Capon as he is the only Chaplain alive.

Having told Bast Potern your choices, you couldn’t notice smirk under his shadowed eyes when you mentioned Gotch becoming the Chief Librarian over him. He seemed to be relieved for a moment before returning back to his statuesque form he normally has.

“Wise choices Chapter Master, I see the merit of making Sergeant Valerian the new Captain of 1st Company. He has the necessary experience at commanding troops and you don’t get singled out by an Inquisitor to join Deathwatch without a reason either.” Potern said while making notes on the datapad. “As is the decision to choose Sergeant Grafft for the position of Captain of 10th Company. While we don’t yet have recruits, it is good to be ready.”

“I will also let Epistolary Gotch and the Techmarine Vero know that they have been chosen. And I bet Chaplain Capon is happy to be chosen to be the new Master of Sanctity.” Potern said with a chuckle.

With that he excused himself from your solar and left you alone there. Now the first steps have been taken to ensure the future of your Chapter.

Decisions
              -Acquire new recruiting grounds
              -Assess different possibilities for recruiting
              -Apothecarion is without Chief Apothecary
              -Rebuild Chapter Fleet
              -Assess the remaining Chapter Fleet
              -Choose new Master of the Fleet
              -Other?

++Thought of the Day++
              Honour, Duty & Obedience

Comment

My vote is for recruiting grounds. With the current fleet more than sufficient for our needs, there's no reason to try to increase the size of our fleet. What we need is a base and recruits to train in that base, so that's the direction we need to go to.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I concur.

We need recruiting grounds more than anything. I'm open to selecting a new Chief Apothecary to oversee the process, but we need to find one or more worlds that either volunteer or can be persuaded to be our new base of operations.

They need to be worthy as well, of course. Drawing the wrong sort of recruits into our Chapter could do us more damage than all the Archenemy's weals.
                  Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Agreed that new recruiting grounds should be a priority.
                    BoRG

Comment

Once again - little to argue with here...

Carry on - I'll be gone for 4 days, back on monday

You would have also liked to make Bast Potern your Chief Librarian, but Joshua Gotch literally saved the Chapter with his skill of farseeing.
                      I noticed that one yes, "..he can read the future like a book" so I've heard…, must be awful.

So we'll be consulting him before we exit this "warp" then I assume ?
                      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

++Date:943.M41++
                        Aboard Strike Cruiser Magnificent
                        In transit in warp
                        Turn 0 Part 4

-Acquire new recruiting grounds
                        -Assess different possibilities for recruiting
                        -Apothecarion is without Chief Apothecary

As Magnificent was guided in the stormy warp as well as her Navigator Madam Quillan could and with no exit insight you had plenty of time to make these decisions. With the Chapters situation being the only thing you could really work on, you decided to visit the Apothecarion next.

As you approaching the place that will ensure the survival of the Chapter, you are greeted by dangerously small number of chapter serfs and ship's crew. Not because they don't care to greet, but because Magnificent is woefully under manned. Finally you are greeted by number of bulky, armoured and heavily armed gun-servitors guarding the entrance to Apothecarion. The Implantation Chamber and the important Gene-Seed vault is located there, located behind heavy armoured walls and multiple doors. Entering inside the Apothecarion, you are greeted by the Apothecaries and other medical personnel working to get everything ready and getting accustomed to the facilities of Magnificent.

“Ahh Chapter Master, welcome to the Apothecarion.” Came the shout from Apothecary Karrack who was working on some of the machinery the Apothecarion has. He puts down his tools and comes to greet you better. “How can we serve you?”

“I would like to ask you about our possibilities for recruitment and and the situation with our Gene-Seed.” You asked.

There was some idle movement from Apothecary Karrack as he thought what to say.

“Fleet-based Chapters usually have a number of worlds they recruit from and usually they are located within a single sector or a sub-sector. The 10th Company then travels between these worlds every few years or once in a decade to recruit the best warriors for aspirants.” Apothecary Karrack explained. “Alternatively the fleet-based Chapters recruit from the worlds they have fought in, by reasoning that surviving population is hardened and suitable for recruitment.”

“The Administratum doesn’t like that. For them the Tithes worlds pay are the most important thing and if they are disturbed, the wrath of the Administratum is upon you. Of course we are Adeptus Astartes and we exist outside the normal power structure, but even then Administratum has some power over us. If we are going to acquire a world where we can recruit from, it should be done officially and through proper channels. So the so called Red Tithes aren't popular or common. ” Apothecary Falkyr said while continuing to supervise the chapter serfs.

“Falkyr is correct, these decisions are important and should be decided with care. We will keep you updated on our possibilities when and if we see one.” Karrack said.

Karrack moved uncomfortably as if he knew what would be said next.

"There are other options too, albeit dangerous or even to some heretical." Falkyr said with a curious voice.

"We have talked about this before Maximilian, cease that talk." Karrack flared to Falkyr. "I am sorry Chapter Master, Falkyr has always been the unorthodox of us."

"I am completely serious Karrack, our Chapter is in ruins and I fear that our recovery is too slow if done traditionally for it to prevent us from going extinct." Falkyr said back before walking to a screen and ordering everyone else except you and the Apothecaries away. On the screen he put several graphs and calculations.

"Traditionally the implantation process starts at age of 12 for the Aspirants with the second heart and ends at around age of 18 with black carapace when Neophyte is ready to don the power armour and join the Battle Companies as a proper Adeptus Astartes. At average this process takes five years. The proganoid glands which are used to grow more Gene-seed mature after five years for the one in the neck and ten for the one in chest. So at average it will take 15 years from implantation of secondary heart to us have two new sources of Gene-seed ready." Falkyr explained.

"But Knights Twilight have traditionally removed the proganoid glands only after the death of their carrier, to remove them before would go against what we have done." Karrack mentioned.

"You are correct Karrack, Gene-seed is something that we Adeptus Astartes venerate as the only concrete connection to our Primarch. To remove it before might have some effect on their psyche. Still some Chapters do it to sustain their high operational tempo." Falkyr continued and changed the graphs on the screen."There is one more way to acquire Gene-seed fast and that is to do the implantation to slaves inside medical-vats and use them to grow more Gene-seed. This way we could harvest the first proganoid gland in five years and second in ten years. This process is used by the Adeptus Mechanicus Genetors to quickly produce new Gene-seed when they are creating a new Adeptus Astartes Chapter."

There is a small pause in Falkyrs speech as new graphs are shown.

"We have 24 Gene-seeds in our banks. If harvesting the slaves every ten years, by conservative way of doing this to ensure the purity of the Gene-seed, after 50 years we would have around 750 Gene-seed available." He continued.

"But this would mean that we wouldn't implant any Aspirants during this progress as we wouldn't have any excess Gene-seed if we were put all of it into this. Yes it could be done, we have the knowledge, but meanwhile our numbers wouldn't grow." Karrack said.

"With Knights Twilight Gene-seed being relatively pure, this process should have rather high success rate with low possibility for the Gene-seed to react in unwanted way and cause mutations." Falkyr said before continuing after a pause. "Thankfully our Gene-seed is stable with no additional mutations or problems having shown in our Chapters history. The records show nothing that would support this. If our Gene-seed was to be unstable, I wouldn't suggest anything like this."

With that Falkyr left the graphs on.

"So what do you think Chapter Master?“ Karrack asked bit uncomfortably.

There was a lot to think about this. You knew how more Adeptus Astartes are created and how the whole process is done to ensure best possible outcome. But are Knights Twilight as a Chapter in position to continue traditionally or does the Chapter need to think creatively and do things that are unorthodox?

And then there's the choice of choosing new Chief Apothecary. Maximilian Falkyr is the more unorthodox of the two candidates and is willing to experiment more. He has better knowledge of all things medical thanks to his extensive medical studies, but isn’t as experienced as Karrack is.
                        But Karrack in turn has more hands on experience on surgeries and saving lives of his brothers. He is also more orthodox of the two, but is open for some things if done slowly and carefully. Karrack is the senior of the two Apothecaries.

Decisions
                        -Appoint new Chief Apothecary
                        -Apothecary Maximilian Falkyr
                        -Apothecary Karrack

-Other?

++Thought of the Day++
                        Be Pure

QM: Another big choice. The Chief Apothecary is responsible for the medical well-being and creation of new Space Marines. Who the Chief Apothecary is will be quite important decision as Chief Apothecary has a lot of power and will influence. Both choices will have positives and negatives. I will present more Decisions after you have chosen the Chief Apothecary. Please consult the drive document for their invidual traits.
                        Last edited by Senorankka; 02 Jun 19, 16:56.

Comment

This proposal assumes we implant all gene seed as produced. What if we hold back some to keep a reserve?

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

If you have enough aspirants/neophytes then in most cases you should implant as much Gene-seed as possible to ensure more space marines are created. If you are just sitting on Gene-seed and doing nothing, it would be bit of a waste especially as the numbers of your Chapter are down.

Comment

It has been said that desperate times call for desperate measures. That being said, there are rules for a reason and though we may sometimes bend those of the Codex Astartes, this idea of farming geneseed comes uncomfortably close to heresy. The means rarely justify the ends. If we hold all our available stock of geneseed for this farming concept we are not growing our numbers for years to come. While we must rebuild, we are also bound to our duty.

If we cease the creation of new Astartes the situation becomes one of 'as our strength lessens'
                              There is also the need then to build up and maintain the numbers of thralls, both for the purpose of service, as well as those acting as hosts for the glands. How many of them will survive the process? especially with none of the other benefits being provided to their bodies that would allow them to survive?

I would rather seek a contingent of Primaris stock than engage in this process. The less ire we draw from the Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus the better for us at this time.

My choice is Apothecary Karrack for Chief Apothecary. We need a steady hand guiding the Apothecarion, which Karrack is. Also he is the Senior Apothecary, so it is proper that he become Master of the Apothecarion.

BoRG

Comment

Arthwys is correct, while the temptation to have hundreds of new battle brothers is of course real and tremendously seductive there are rules for a reason. We are not the Adeptus Mechanicus, and to sever our brothers' connection to the Primarch is frankly unconscionable. We cannot afford to let our numbers stagnate and wither as we gamble our future on a future jackpot - the traditional way is best, and to this end I support Apothecary Karrack for Chief Apothecary.

In terms of recruiting worlds, we are currently a fleet-based chapter and until we have the opportunity to put down roots we have neither a homeworld nor a subsector to recruit from.

To this end I ask Gotch to find an Imperial World with an ongoing conflict teetering in stalemate where we can provide a decisive impact for the Emperor with minimal (ideally no) losses. This should give us an opportunity to recruit in the aftermath of victory, whether we can remain in the area or are forced to move on afterwards.
                                Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X