From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

++Date:943.M41++

Your Chapter is dead.
    Well, it is nearly dead. The glory days of the Chapter are gone and now what remains is only survival.

Aboard Strike Cruiser Magnificent are the surviving members of Knights Twilight, a glorious Chapter of Emperors Angels of Death, Space Marines.

In the past three hundred years Knights Twilight fought numerous successful campaigns against the most dangerous enemy Imperium of Man has. Crusade after crusade against Chaos within and without the Imperium were launched and countless billions of heretics and traitors burned as worlds were reclaimed and sectors pacified.

Now finally the backlash happened. Year ago Chaos Warlord Korian of Black Legion managed to gather the favour of his dark gods and launched his own Black Crusade with a single goal, to destroy Knights Twilight. And now year later he nearly succeed.

In a year of fighting our homeworld of Agathy burned. Billions of loyal citizens of Imperium died under fire and disease or were enslaved by the ruinous powers. The Knights Twilight didn’t go down without a fight. For every Battle Brother that was slain three Chaos Space Marines died among countless demons and members of traitor guard. It was good trade.

Finally we were at breaking point and remaining survivors from the 2nd to 10th Company were evacuated onto Strike Cruiser Magnificent as Chapter Master Basileus Strang sacrificed himself and what remained of the 1st Company and Chapter Fleet in a suicidal charge at the Chaos fleet orbiting the world. While they died, they took number of the Chaos ships with them. They died heroes.

As you retreated in sorrow, you sowed the world with the fires of retribution. The Cyclonic Torpedoes aboard Magnificent were launched at the planet. Exterminatus was declared.

The last transmission from the planet came in form of the last surviving Chapter Serfs.
    Remember us for the sacrifice we did, may Emperor protect you

Before Magnificent did the emergency warp jump, last picture of Agathy was that of fire. The whole planet burned, there would be no survivors.

Now month later, you Captain Astor DeChevalier had a task you couldn’t have prepared for. The last spoken orders from Chapter Master Basileus Strang was that you are the new Chapter Master and that you have to rebuild the Chapter, so that you could continue the fight against the enemies of humanity.

You wouldn’t go away without a fight, it would defile the memory and sacrifice your brothers did to allow you to get away. You shall not fail, not for them.

++Thought for the day++
    In the darkest moment, Emperor’s Light burns brightest
    Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
    "There is never enough firepower!"

Welcome to the From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest. In this wargame you are in control of a Space Marine Chapter called Knights Twilight who have gone through a devastating war in which they lost their homeworld, Fortress-Monastery and majority of their troops and fleet. Only a small group of Space Marines remain, but enough remain for them to be able to rebuild their forces.

The game will be run in 1 year Turns. These Turns are used to track your progress in Strategic Level. Within a single Turn, multiple things can happen. They can be series of battles or even campaigns. More game mechanisms including the Build Point system and equipment prices will be introduced in later updates, but the following Google Doc should already have all necessary information. I might edit it if required or add new stuff later on.

Knights Twilight Chapter Info:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Current Campaign: None

Current Goals:
    -Rebuild Chapter
    -Organize the survivors
    -Acquire new recruiting grounds
    -Rebuild Chapter Fleet
    -Survive

I will post the first update in few days so that you have some time to ask questions and scroll through the Google Docs

++Thought for the day++
    Only in death does duty end

Comment

Looks well prepared (fresh from my first tour through the Google Doc) as a reference document, which players can dip into as and when they need to.

I look forward to seeing how this one plays out - and yes, I did notice the start date you picked.

Most of my questions are around how we decide what we do if different players have different ideas, but I figure this will become apparent once we're actually trying to do it.

Maybe dig a "does not count" or "minimal impact" tutorial example out of your barrels of creativity so that we can see how this will work in practice?

It'll help us know what questions to ask as well.
      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Aboard Strike Cruiser Magnificent
        In transit in warp
        Turn 0 Part 1

Emergency warp jumps are dangerous business. Countless ships have been lost on regular warp jumps that are well prepared and planned. And now you have spent nearly a month in warp, in a jump that wasn’t prepared or planned. Through combined effort by the ship's Navigator, Techmarines and your remaining Epistolaries, the travel has been mostly pleasant. The Gellar Fields have held and what the Navigator has managed to predict, it would be safe to enter real space soon. Light of the Astronomican has been seen and it will guide us to safety.

Meanwhile you have spend the last month trying to catalog what remains of the Chapter with the help of one of your Epistolaries Bast Potern. It was painstakingly slow task, people who might have known more were dead and those remaining were busy in their own tasks.

What you realized was that in how bad shape what remained of the Chapter was. In total you only had 57 Battle Brothers remaining, all positions in the command were empty, armoury outside standard issue equipment depleted and the Forges while potent are small and not enough for growing Chapter. Finally most importantly you lacked aspirants to turn into Space Marines.

“Chapter Master, I believe that we have managed to take account of our current situation. I have prepared the data for you.” Said Epistolary Potern

Choose one for more closer inspection:
        -Organize the survivors
        -1st Company is without a Captain or other command personnel
        -10th Company is without a Captain or other command personnel
        -Librarium is without Chief Librarian
        -Reclusiam is without Master of Sanctity
        -Forges are without Master of the Forge or orders to build anything

-Acquire new recruiting grounds
        -Assess different possibilities for recruiting
        -Apothecarion is without Chief Apothecary

-Rebuild Chapter Fleet
        -Assess the remaining Chapter Fleet
        -Choose new Master of the Fleet

-Other?

QM: This way we are going to chop the Turn 0 stuff into more manageable pieces. This just so that you don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of choices you have to make. So for example by choosing -Rebuild Chapter Fleet, in the next update you get info on your fleet and you get to make the decision for who is the new Master of the Fleet. Other? is there always to depict your own ideas or questions or anything that isn’t listed above. It basically is the write-in option.

At the moment we are still in Turn 0 which will last until basic necessities are agreed and chosen upon. So discuss and ask questions, I can then give you more info or answers to the lore.

++Thought for the day++
        Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Last edited by Senorankka; 16 May 19, 14:49.

Comment

Before we can rebuild the fleet (all 1 ships of it currently) or persuade an appropriate Imperial World to be the new host to our chapter, I feel the first point we must consider is to organise the battered shards of our Chapter and assign appropriate notable survivors to their respective roles.

We may have a lot of chiefs for very few braves shortly, but better to harness their expertise than to try to lead the Chapter's rebirth on our own.

Vote: Focus on Organise the Survivors

Comment

Vote: Focus on organizing the survivors.

Without organization, any new recruits would simply be a mob, and without reorganization, any new ships would be derelict for lack of command or crews.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

That which was broken must first be made whole before it can again grow and thrive.

BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                I look forward to seeing how this one plays out - and yes, I did notice the start date you picked.
                943 M41 ? What's about it ?

I'll just add my vote to the rest for now, untill I familiarize myself with this new "world" and made some time to study the Google Doc, there's little point in debate..

High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Warhammer 40,000 has the problem that the power level/how strong different units or factions are wildly differ from author to author. Especially when the game has been actively updated for the past 30+ years, a lot of contradicting lore or just frankly bad lore is there.
                  With this game I will try to avoid telling exact numbers outside of Knights Twilight to you due to it is rather hard to have plausible kill counts etc. So I am not going to tell you that “100 orks were killed”, but instead I will use “a small ork warband was destroyed”.

I will try to give you some idea how strong Space Marines are in this game and in the lore overall. Single Space Marine can fight against multiple enemies simultaneously and can easily beat dozen Orks same time, but when the enemies start to get hits in the Space Marine is in trouble. Squad can easily beat Ork mobs or platoons of infantry, their specialized or heavy weapons can destroy most land vehicles outside the heaviest ones. A Space Marine Company can win campaigns alone.

But Space Marines aren’t invincible, yes they are superhumans and they have really good power armour, but their enemies are strong too. Orks are just as strong physically as Space Marines, Eldar, Tau and Necron weapons punch through the power armour, traitor Imperial Guardsmen share the same heavy weapons with you and they have more tanks than you do and Chaos Space Marines are just like you, but evil.

To beat your enemies, you have to use tactics and strategies that nullify enemy advantages. Orks can’t reach melee if you shoot them, traitors can’t shoot at you if you deploy with drop-pods and surprise them by going into melee range. This is simplification, but I will try to explain and give hints at how the enemy fight and what their weaknesses are.

Hopefully this explained something. I will start writing the update on Sunday as it seems rather clear what you want to do first. I suggest that you read sections Famed Living Members of the Chapter and Build Points and the prices.

As always, if you have questions, please go ahead and ask them. I will try to explain them as well as I can.

Comment

To beat your enemies, you have to use tactics and strategies that nullify enemy advantages. Orks can’t reach melee if you shoot them, traitors can’t shoot at you if you deploy with drop-pods and surprise them by going into melee range. This is simplification, but I will try to explain and give hints at how the enemy fight and what their weaknesses are.
                    I suggest we work towards a "small first fight" then, to see how the combat mechanics work, and take it from there..
                    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Focus on organizing the survivors.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Aboard Strike Cruiser Magnificent
                        In transit in warp
                        Turn 0 Part 2

-Organize the survivors
                        -1st Company is without a Captain or other command personnel
                        -10th Company is without a Captain or other command personnel
                        -Librarium is without Chief Librarian
                        -Reclusiam is without Master of Sanctity
                        -Forges are without Master of the Forge or orders to build anything

“Both 1st Company where we have consolidated our survivors and 10th Company are lacking their command elements. Most importantly they are missing their Captains. While our Veterans can easily fight without a Captain, having one to guide them in the field is a great tactical advantage.” Epistolary Potern explained as the organization charts were projected into a hologram.

“I consulted the tomes of Librarium and managed to find something interesting. Three thousand years ago 3rd Company was lost nearly completely in battle, including their whole Command Squad and their Captain. The newly chosen Captain and his close subordinates molded the 3rd Company into their liking and the end result was quite different to what it was before.”

“I know the legend Bast, everyone who served in “Golden” 3rd knows it. The Company rose from the ashes like phoenix of old tales.” You answered to Potern while giving a questioning look.

“Then you know why I am telling you this. The decisions you are going to make now are going shape the Chapter more than we can predict. The Captain of 1st will have much to say how 1st and through that the whole Chapter will act. The Captain of 10th will teach his ways and what he experienced and learned to the Neophytes, to the future of our Chapter. Not to mention the brothers that will form their Command Squads.” Potern carefully explained with his soft deep voice.

What Potern said to you was true, these decision are going to shape the Chapter more than both of you can predict.

“We must too choose new Chief Librarian, I know you have served the Chapter long Bast so who do you think would fit the role best?”

Bast Potern sighs and takes a step away from the table in front of you.

“Of the three Epistolaries I have most experience, after all I am the oldest of us. Gotch has his ability to pierce the shadows of future to see and predict it and Gracchus is second to none at making Force Weapons. We all have our specialties and skills, but in the end it is your decision.”

Now it was your turn to sigh, not because of relieve, but because of the importance of these decisions.

“One more thing Astor, the Forges asked me to tell you that they too wait the decision of who will become the new Master of the Forges and how to spend their resources? They asked me to tell you this as they prefer to stay down in the Forge.” Potern said finally.

Decisions
                        Appoint New Captains of 1st and 10th Company (Consult Famed Living Members of the Chapter in the Google Doc to learn their individual traits)
                        Choose from:
                        -The Penitent TH
                        -Cesar Tigrus TH
                        -Akir Inokus TH
                        -Mareus Almann TH
                        -Idomius Kastor TH
                        -Valien Grafft TH
                        -Thaddeus Damm TH
                        -Martin Fulk TH
                        -Alexis Hught TH
                        -Angus Valerian TH

Appoint Chief Librarian
                        -Bast Potern TH
                        -Joshua Gotch TH
                        -Feder Gracchus TH

Appoint Master of Sanctity
                        -Isaiah Capon

Appoint Master of Forges
                        -Sigmund Bors
                        -Jonah Vinus
                        -Gregorius Vero

Build Orders [50BP to spend]

Assign Battle Brothers to other unfilled positions in 1st Company Command Squad (Optional)

Other?

++Thought of the Day++
                        Idleness breeds heresy

Comment

QM: Long QM post so decided to split the update and it to two posts. These decision are important if I haven’t yet made it clear. The traits the named individuals have are important as they have effect on how the character will act and how they will shape the Chapter. I made the Chapter to be as blank as possible without any special quirks like Blood Angels or Black Templars have. This is your moment to choose the direction and influence the game a lot.
                          The short descriptions the named characters have should be enough and I tried to write the Traits rather clearly too. The Traits are something they have specialized or are really good at. In battles the Traits influence how well they fight. For example vehicle proponent will do better when equipped or commanding vehicle forces, while scout proponent doesn’t get no benefits or negatives when using vehicles. All named characters are great fighters and with a reason the Veteran Sergeants all have Terminator Honours.

How Build Points Work:
                          Build Points (BP) represent the ability for the chapter to build, trade or acquire the equipment and gear. BPs are either generated by the forges under your control or by events. BPs cannot be saved for future turns as it represents the used time as a resource too

Current BP:
                          Strike Cruiser - Magnificent (50BP/turn)
                          In Total: 50BP/turn

So you have at the moment 50BP/turn available. This means that items ordered at the start of the turn ara available to you at the start of the next turn. Items can be ordered that are more expensive than what you have, but it means that they will be partially finished and require more Build Point. For example with current resources Predator Tank which costs 60BP can’t be finished this turn, but next turn remaining 10BP can be used to finish it. This way you can use your BPs in projects that cost more than what you have.

Master of the Forge is the most senior Techmarine in the Chapter. Under his tutelage trains and works the other Techmarines. Master of the Forge has a lot of power to shape the Forge and the personnel into his own liking.

Chief Librarian is the leader of the Librarium and acts as the head teacher for the Lexicanums and Codifiers. Chief Librarian is usually the most potent psyker of the Chapters Epistolaries or he has some other very useful skill.

Master of Sanctity is responsible for the spiritual guidance of the whole Chapter. It is his task to guide his brothers to right direction and remove false pride from them. Master of Sanctity also guides rest of the Chaplains and most importantly watches over the brothers so that they don't fall to heresy.

Go ahead, discuss and ask questions.

Comment

Okay, this decision is a ways more involved than our first (and obvious) focus so I'm going to set out my proposals for the roles and why I think they're suited and then invite questions, comments, and better ideas from the other voices in our Chapter Master's head.

Proposals

Captain 1st Company: Angus Valerian (TH)

The Penitent definitely deserves a place in the command squad, but however deadly a killer he may be true leadership is challenging for a hero who refuses to speak. Angus Valerian is my nomination for the leadership role due to his tactical and strategic abilities, as well as his experience and talents working with the other forces of the Imperium. From the standpoint of a shrunken Chapter broadly disliked and distrusted by our nominal allies, I imagine we will spend many years working with other forces rather than going solo. Valerian will also provide valuable insights in small elite forces combatting Xenos from his Deathwatch experience, without any particular bias to select weapon choices.
                            Captain 10th Company: Valien Grafft (TH)
                            Selecting a leader for our (largely notional) Tenth Company, this feels like mostly a choice between Grafft, Damm and possibly Kastor (although I favour the first two). Personally I prefer our future newbloods as stealthy scouts rather than throwing them straight into the fires of combat, both in terms of their larger role in the chapter as well as helping to ensure our numbers increase as quickly as they may. This could be argued either way though, so broadly in favour of Grafft or Damm if the latter is preferred by the other good voices.

Chief Librarian: Joshua Gotch (TH)

Bast has the most experience and historically has shown himself dedicated to results rather than his own advancement. Gotch is directly responsible for our Chapter's survival with his visions of the future, and this could be invaluable in a senior role as we follow our path to reforging the Chapter's sword. His Daemonmancy is another major plus in support of First Company Captain's intended knowledge of Xenos - he knows the Archenemy who almost destroyed us, and he knows how to fight them.

Master of Sanctity: Isiah Capon

Isiah seems to be the only choice here, as our only surviving Chaplain. I'm not keen on a suicidal disregard for orders, but better to have a shepherd for our faith than not.

Master of Forges: Gregorius Vero

In keeping with my general view of our strategy in the days ahead - namely that we will be a smaller elite force intelligently using our enemies' weaknesses against them while playing to our strengths - I favour Vero for this role. He knows the weapons of the Xenos and how to counter (and in emergencies, use) them. He favours specialised armament and ammunition tailored to the task, and this is exactly the sort of approach I would like to see.

Build Orders: 6 x suits Mk VIII Power Armour (60 BP in all)

We have reasonable equipment in our armoury, if mostly standard. I would like to put our 1st Company command squad into reinforced armour even at the cost of standardisation. They are likely to be put into the hottest fires and the most desperate situations (at least until our assault company and honour guard are reactivated), and keeping them alive is worth the investment in my view. The extra suit will stand as a spare, either for the Chapter Master (if we're keeping him out of Terminator Armour for some reason) or if repairs on a damaged suit take it offline at the wrong moment.

Chief Apothecary: Apothecary Karrack

Unsure if we're able to appoint this role at this time. If not, then we can appoint him to the 1st Company Command Squad below but definitely keen to get more of his views into the field.

1st Company Command Squad

Captain: Angus Valerian (TH)

- Company Champion: The Penitent (TH)

- Epistolary: Bast Potern (TH)

- Apothecary: Maybe Karrack? If he can be Chief Apothecary, maybe another non-notable Apothecary instead.

- Chaplain: Another non-notable surviving Chaplain?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, absolutely not final - just my two cents looking at our available assets in the document and what we might do with them.

What do you think, and who would you put in what role?

What is more useful to be building right now?

Comment

A good start. Here is a picture of Knights Twilight Space Marine to give you some idea about their paint scheme and how they look.

Edit. Noticed that the Google Doc had a price for Scout Armour. It should be Standard Issue instead. Error has been fixed.
                              Last edited by Senorankka; 19 May 19, 15:39.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X