Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    (…)
    And be reasonable for NATO or other nation troops deployed roughly to the Baltic border with Russia (think Latvia here) in the Spring.
    That makes it even better

“I believe that the experienced Chasseur Ardennais are not daunted by the Estonian winter nor the Estonian forests. I hope that you find the time to experience the Estonian hospitality while being off duty,” added the prime minister while greeting the Belgian contingent of whom many soldiers are from the Chasseur Ardennais battalion.
    http://www.mil.ee/en/news/10550/belg...-group-at-tapa

A platoon of Chasseurs Ardennais will do nicely, and will be perfect for role-playing if needed.

I'll check the specifics and post them here later.

The Belgian contingent has nearly 300 troops in it and the core from the Chasseur Ardennais battalion. The Belgians brought nearly 100 vehicles with them, including armoured personnel carriers Piranha. The newly arrived infantry unit is reinforced with mortars, combat engineers, logistical support element and military police as well.

Major David Paitier, the Belgian senior national representative said that his troops are glad the join the battle group and that they are thankful for the help and support the Belgian troops got while deploying to Estonia.
    Well Estonia, not Latvia but I'm sure we can "write over" that….
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

That won't be much of a problem, no.

And looks good. I'd note for you a couple of things as the parent unit seems to be rather diverse:

1) If the Pirahnas are pure APC variants, or the troops are truck-borne, then you could swing a platoon by the rules.
      2) If the Pirhanas are IFVs with organic heavy weapons (beyond a typical APCs single MG armament), then you're looking at maybe a pair of them with their mounted infantry contingent. I'm just trying to avoid someone reaching an 'overkill' point, while at the same time avoiding the pesky and bookkeeping intensive 'purchase' arrangement.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Fair enough - I'll see what the others come up with.

Are all units to be posted here, or are some things arranged by PM behind the scene ?

Alternatively a small platoon of the engineers, logistical support or even MPs could be detached to operate in nearby Latvia for the purpose of this game.

For a small scale, more RPG-style game it matters much less.

iirc - the original Rainbow games had me as just a single sergeant with a knife and a rifle..

High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

You can post it in here. And someone does have to go first. If I see something unreasonable, I'll let you know so you can edit. And then I'll make a file when I officially start the game and do a line up.

Yes, this game will be a bit more RPG than what Rainbow has currently morphed into. So expect that your platoon/squad/team will be a pool of replacements for your character if he dies, and generally function as a cohesive entity rather than dispersed widely like a modern-day wargame might have you do. I'll do some things on my end to keep it from getting stupidly unrealistic as far as battle arrangements of specific units.

Comment

Leader Name: Lt Andrzej Kaminski
            Nationality: Polish
            Unit Type: Mounted Rifles (ex 7th Mounted Rifle Bn)
            Unit Size: Platoon - 4x 3-man vehicle crews, 3x 8-man sections, 1x 4-man command team (inc. CO)., 1x 4-man support team, total 44 px.
            Basic unit equipment (can be pretty general if it's all NATO spec stuff): Standard NATO service rifle (Kbs wz. 1996 Beryl) with standard side arms and specials (1 marksman per section (Bor Sniper Rifle), 1 combat medic per section, 1 anti-tank rocket per section) 3x UKM-2000P (MG), 2x WKM-B (HMG).
            Any special equipment organic to that unit/nation that's not standard: As above? I haven't focused on the specific equipment where I don't expect to use it often.
            Vehicles: 4x KTO Rosomak M1M.
            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

2) If the Pirhanas are IFVs with organic heavy weapons (beyond a typical APCs single MG armament), then you're looking at maybe a pair of them with their mounted infantry contingent. I'm just trying to avoid someone reaching an 'overkill' point, while at the same time avoiding the pesky and bookkeeping intensive 'purchase' arrangement.
              A pair will do then.

There appear to be 19 with a 30 mm gun (Pdf30), one of those with gun crew if you will.

https://www.mil.be/nl/materiaal/piranha-df30

The other the standard APC version with MG of which there are 64 (Pfus), able to carry 10 infantrymen each.

https://www.mil.be/nl/materiaal/piranha-fus

Arm the 10 infantry with F2000 for simplicity, 2 of them with with FN’s 40 mm. low-velocity grenade launcher and laser rangefinder mentioned here,

https://ghostrecon.fandom.com/wiki/F2000.

As well a few regular grenades each, knife, axe or shovel (always more zombies than bullets ) - for emergencies if possible.
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 15 Apr 19, 04:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

A pair will do then.

There appear to be 19 with a 30 mm gun (Pdf30), one of those with gun crew if you will.

https://www.mil.be/nl/materiaal/piranha-df30

The other the standard APC version with MG of which there are 64 (Pfus), able to carry 10 infantrymen each.

https://www.mil.be/nl/materiaal/piranha-fus

Arm the 10 infantry with F2000 for simplicity, 2 of them with with FN’s 40 mm. low-velocity grenade launcher and laser rangefinder mentioned here,

https://ghostrecon.fandom.com/wiki/F2000.

As well a few regular grenades each, knife, axe or shovel (always more zombies than bullets ) - for emergencies if possible.
                If you're going to just do one of the IFV variants, I'll grant you 2 of the APC variants, so that'll be with 20 dismounts, and 7 crewers IIRC including your player character.

As to the knives, well I'd presume soldiers have knives or bayonets as standard issue. Ditto for Entrenching tools.

Comment

Thanks, label them P30, and PI and PII then.

I looked at the 90mm variant, but that maybe "overkill" as you call it, on this scale….

For now I'll command as Lt. Snow, which iirc was the name I used in the original game.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                    Leader Name: Lt Andrzej Kaminski
                    Nationality: Polish
                    Unit Type: Mounted Rifles (ex 7th Mounted Rifle Bn)
                    Unit Size: Platoon - 4x 3-man vehicle crews, 3x 8-man sections, 1x 4-man command team (inc. CO)., 1x 4-man support team, total 44 px.
                    Basic unit equipment (can be pretty general if it's all NATO spec stuff): Standard NATO service rifle (Kbs wz. 1996 Beryl) with standard side arms and specials (1 marksman per section (Bor Sniper Rifle), 1 combat medic per section, 1 anti-tank rocket per section) 3x UKM-2000P (MG), 2x WKM-B (HMG).
                    Any special equipment organic to that unit/nation that's not standard: As above? I haven't focused on the specific equipment where I don't expect to use it often.
                    Vehicles: 4x KTO Rosomak M1M.
                    Definitely chopping the HMGs out of this platoon structure, those wouldn't be standard in a platoon that has 4 x 30mm gunned vehicles. Also, your sections wouldn't have dedicated snipers unless you're talking some sort of special forces. Say that the 4 man support team is instead a 2 man sniper-spotter team attached to the command team. And the sections wouldn't have their own separate MMG either, and since it doesn't look like they have an integral SAW, it's looking like you'll have 8 man sections with 7 riflemen, 1 grenadier with the GSBO-40 stand-alone, and say 12 total RPG-76 between the 3 sections for man-portable anti-armor.

With those changes I can work with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      Thanks, label them P30, and PI and PII then.

I looked at the 90mm variant, but that maybe "overkill" as you call it, on this scale….

For now I'll command as Lt. Snow, which iirc was the name I used in the original game.

If you want a single 90mm variant and 3 APC variants, that's quite workable, go for it.

Comment

No thanks, if this game is what I think it will be, the 30mm will be perfect.

Also I imagine the 90mms would held back a bit as support for the others, they're not full Tank destroyers, and seem specifically designed to be the biggest gun on this particular chassis, and still able to be airlifted by C-130.

Comment

All right, we have 2 that are, within the bounds of some modifications, acceptable and approved. If anyone else wants to get theirs started and done, I'll use this thread for discussion and then start a new thread when we're ready to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Definitely chopping the HMGs out of this platoon structure, those wouldn't be standard in a platoon that has 4 x 30mm gunned vehicles. Also, your sections wouldn't have dedicated snipers unless you're talking some sort of special forces. Say that the 4 man support team is instead a 2 man sniper-spotter team attached to the command team. And the sections wouldn't have their own separate MMG either, and since it doesn't look like they have an integral SAW, it's looking like you'll have 8 man sections with 7 riflemen, 1 grenadier with the GSBO-40 stand-alone, and say 12 total RPG-76 between the 3 sections for man-portable anti-armor.

With those changes I can work with this.
                            Happy to drop the HMGs from the support team.

Unsure what the NATO standard is for a support team attached to a rifle platoon - would be surprised if it was a sniper-spotter duo though. Possibly some kind of mortar or other indirect fire weapon?

Standard Polish light infantry squad makeup (for a 12-man squad) appears to be the following after a little more research:
                            Squad Commander – MSBS 5.56 rifle, PR-15 Ragun semi-automatic pistol, night vision binoculars and MU-3M Koliber night vision monocular.
                            Junior Rifleman – RGP-40 repeating grenade launcher, PR-15 Ragun pustol and MU-3M Koliber night vision monocular.
                            Junior Medic – MSBS rifle, PR-15, Bazalt daytime/night sight, MU-3M monocular, medical kit.
                            Junior Radioman – MSBS rifle, holographic sight, night vision binoculars, RKP-8100 radio, PR-15.
                            Deputy Commander – MSBS Rifle with Szafir modular sight, PR-15 Ragun pistol, single use M72 AT weapon, MU-3M monocular.
                            Squad Sharpshooter – MSBS carbine with Bazalt daytime/night sight, PR-15.
                            Senior Rifleman – UKM-2000 machine gun with Rubin thermal vision sight, PR-15.
                            Junior Sapper – MSBS rifle with holographic sight, MU-3M, PR-15.
                            Scout – MSBS Carbine with Bazalt daytime/night sight, thermal vision binoculars, Kruk night vision goggles, PR-15.
                            Senior Radioman – MSBS rifle, backpack radio, MU-3M monocular, PR-15.
                            Senior Medic – MSBS rifle with MU-3M monocular, PR-15, medical kit.
                            Senior Sapper – MSBS rifle with Szafir modular sight, MU-3M monocular, PR-15.

Assuming the 8-man Rifle sections are of a similar but reduced composition (with crew equipped with the PR-15 but otherwise limited to vehicle equipment), I suggest the following makeup:
                            Squad Commander – MSBS 5.56 rifle, PR-15 Ragun semi-automatic pistol, night vision binoculars and MU-3M Koliber night vision monocular.
                            Junior Rifleman – RGP-40 repeating grenade launcher, PR-15 Ragun pustol and MU-3M Koliber night vision monocular.
                            Medic – MSBS rifle, PR-15, Bazalt daytime/night sight, MU-3M monocular, medical kit.
                            Deputy Commander – MSBS Rifle with Szafir modular sight, PR-15 Ragun pistol, single use M72 AT weapon, MU-3M monocular.
                            Squad Sharpshooter – MSBS carbine with Bazalt daytime/night sight, PR-15.
                            Senior Rifleman – UKM-2000 machine gun with Rubin thermal vision sight, PR-15.
                            Scout – MSBS Carbine with Bazalt daytime/night sight, thermal vision binoculars, Kruk night vision goggles, PR-15.
                            Radioman – MSBS rifle, holographic sight, night vision binoculars, RKP-8100 radio, PR-15.
                            Sapper – MSBS rifle with Szafir modular sight, MU-3M monocular, PR-15.
                            This leaves us at 9, and we need to be at 8. Would you drop the UKM-2000 MMG, the repeating grenade launcher, the sniper or someone else?
                            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Looking at the organization, it would depend primarily on whether they'd expect the IFV to provide explosive or machine gun fire support primarily. I'd see two possibilities, one being cutting the MMG, the other the GL. Squad marksman isn't a 'sniper' in that sense, so they'd probably stick around. I'm leaning more towards keeping the MMG and cutting the Grenade Launcher, but throwing about 4 of the ubiquitous but old RPG-76 (the polish RPG) into the vehicles for HE support on the man-portable level.

Comment

Hey Tac
                                Here's the rough draft layout, I axed the Heavy Weapons section and cobbled a support section instead. Dropped the HMG and removed one of the LAV VI's for a more general (though non-standard) APC. Let me know what other edits you need:

Canadian SF platoon:
                                Leader Name: Cpt Jon Argus
                                Nationality: Canadian
                                Unit Type: SF(JTF-2 experimental)
                                Unit Size: Platoon (modified) 45 personnel total
                                3 x standard section(squad) 8 personnel each (24 total)
                                1 x support section 8 personnel + CO and 2IC (10 total)
                                3 x LAV crews 3 personnel each (9 total)

Basic unit equipment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Canadian_Army

Standard Section:
                                7 x C8SFW, 1 x C9 Minimi, 8 x P226, M67 Grenades, 2 x M203A1(under barrel grenade launcher), 2 x M72 LAW, Personal weapons hand to hand (knives, brass knuckles, etc)
                                Each section has a medic trained unit

Support Section:
                                1 x C14 Timberwolf MRSWS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C14_Timberwolf Leupold Mark 4 16x40mm LR/T M1 riflescope
                                1 x C15 A1-R2 variant(LRSW): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMillan_TAC-50 with Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PMII telscoppic sight
                                1 x C6 GPMG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG (2 x crew)
                                1 x C16 Close Area Suppression Weapon (CASW): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_GMG (3 x crew)
                                1 x Surgeon (carries C8A2 carbine)

CO and 2IC carry C8A2 carbines and P226 pistols

Mobility:
                                3 x LAV VI: http://www.military-today.com/apc/lav_6_0.htm
                                (3 x IFV Variant(standard): M242 Bushmaster 25 mm chain gun(turret), 1 x 7.62 MG(coaxial), 1 x 5.56 MG(roof mounted). Crew: 3 Dismounts: 6-7)

1 x Casspir APC (repurposed): Crew: 2 Dismounts: 12 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casspir

The Experimental designation refers to their training in 3 block war doctrine accompanied with Self-Sufficiency Scavange practices.

BoRG
                                'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X