No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suggest we do a roll call to see which players are available for command of RR1/RR2 respectively, then restructure so as to get all units moving again.

If no one else reports in Finch will assume command of RR2 entirely as soon Tacs calls (or confirms his call) for orders.

Rojik do you have a command ? We can do with someone to order about our front guard along the Baltimore Pike there.

Frtigern : Leroy outranks Finch, so you would be within your rights to assume command of RR2..

TacCovert4 : The OOB lists 4 x Napoleon 12lb guns commanded by "Dirk". (who's Dirk ?)

Are they with me on the Southern hilltop position ?
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 04 Feb 19, 09:10.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• First thing to do is for the units of RR2 directly in front of the advance of the enemy is to fall back to the flank and if possible the rear of the advancing enemy column.

The JDL W-NW, and the rest (under command of Pruit?) S-SE if possible then move around the field there towards what looks as a concentration of limbered artillery on the west edge of the “catons”.
      The object here is to get out of the fire arc of the enemy musketry (and melee range) and let them advance into the fire of the units behind.

Leroy and Finch stand as they are for now, while Bates continues to prepare a reverse slope defense for when they are forced back.

Take note of the movement of the northward movement of enemy column behind the line which looks it could develop into a classic fix-and-flank of our position on the hilltop.

RR1 (hopefully commanded by Rojik?) reinforced by Dashy’s cavalry continue(s) to push up Elysville Road as enemy opposition allows and report.

Meanwhile the unnamed unit back at Ellicot Mills together with with TAG’s artillery need to prepare to stop the enemy at the river line by inspecting the bridges to see which ones can be destroyed in short order as well looking for any fordable places the enemy can use to bring his artillery or wagons across.

Then they redeploy their guns toward the West in such manner they cover with fire the bridges we cannot immediately destroy (as well any fordable places there may be) while being shielded to front from enemy artillery fire expected from the high places to the East as soon visibility allows.

The general objective is to stop or at least slow down the Westward movement of the enemy column by putting obstacles in their path while harassing their flanks and rear and this manner prevent them from effectively interfering in the main battle further West.

As can be seen really not much is needed in the way of orders or active players, just one to lead the flanking move in the south and one to lead the advance up up Elysville Road, and maybe someone to write up the defense plan of the fall-back position at the river.

But as previously stated – it’s really no good to keep this going just for my benefit, if there are no other active players.
      Since this was basically written before I got to the office this morning, I figured I may as well post it
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Well, presuming that we have you three, I can get this back moving.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Well them or anyone who wishes of course - I just named them because they previously indicated their presence and interest.

Myself - for the next month I will be here on mondays, wednesday and friday (GMT+1), after that back to 5 days a week as before.

Comment

• All right, well, if our active people will pick their regiments, I will get back to work on concluding this game.

Legendary Stars: 5 (+1 Marching Speed)

Gardner’s Battery (Maj. Gardner)(TAG)(Wounded)

4 x 3in Ordnance Rifles

4 x 10lb Parrott Rifles

1 Wagon

86 Men (grey-blue uniforms w/ red facings)

Sharps Carbine, 1851 Colt Navy Revolver

Cavalry Squadron

Tar Heel Troop (Maj. Pruitt)(Pruitt)

133 Cavalry (Grey Jackets, Jeancloth trousers, assorted covers)

20 Casualties

3 x 1860 Colt Army

Sharps Carbine

Dashwood’s “Light” Cavalry (Capt. Dashwood)(Dashy)

120 Cavalry (Blue hose, Red Coats)

1796 Heavy Cavalry Saber

Assorted sawn-off shotguns (pistol ranges)

2 x Colt “Dragoon”

2 x 12lb Howitzer “Galloper Guns”

2nd Regiment

Finch’s Battalion (Maj. Finch)(Snowy)(+2 Musketry)

241 Infantry (Variety of Homespuns, good boots, Cavalry Hats)

1853 Enfields/Bayonets

Shovel or Axe per man

Bates’ Irregulars (Maj. Bates)(Sen)(Businessman Bonus)

115 Infantry (Green Sack Coats, Butternut Trousers)

Calisher & Terry Carbines

Single-shot Pistol

Dirk

4 x 12lb Napoleon

Tiger Rifles (Maj. Leroy)(Fritgern)(Soldier Bonus)(+2 Melee)

240 Infantry (Blue/White Striped Pantaloons, Red Shirts/Blue-Red Jackets), Straw Hats & Fezzes)

1841 Dreyse Rifle (Adds Capt. Von Trapp)

Cutlasses

1st Regiment

Bird’s Green Jackets (Maj. Bird)(Capt AFB)(Businessman Bonus)(+2 Musketry)

300 Infantry (Green Sack Coats and Trousers)

Jaegergewehr 1856/59 / Bayonet (+50% ammo)

Bowie Knives/Hatchets

Wagon of Supplies and Ammunition in personal stores (+50% ammo when stationary for 1hr)

Georgia Badgers Militia (Maj. Holden)(Cheetah)(Businessman Bonus)(+2 Musketry)

141 Infantry (Solid Green Sack Coat and Trousers, Brown leathers, brogans and Slouch Hat)

1 Wounded

Whitworth Rifles w/Globe sights (1200yd range)

Kerr Revolvers

1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword (carried on baldric)

Orleans Blues (Maj. Freeman)(Businessman Bonus)(Wounded)

140 Infantry (Grey Sack Coats, Trousers, Kepi)

1853 Enfield Rifle-Musket, Bayonet

Single-shot Pistol

2 x 12lb Howitzer

Reserve Regiment

NC Grenadier Guards (+2 Musketry)

100 Infantry (Helmets, Green Jackets w/ Black Facings, Black Trousers)

4 Casualties

Dreyse Rifle/Bayonet

3 Grenades Per Man

Jaeger Volunteers (Hpt. Augustus)(Soldier Bonus)

160 Infantry (Grey Frocks, Grey Trousers, Brogans, Grey Hats)

1841 Dreyse, Bayonet

Comment

• Oh, and snowy, I think those guns are Gardner's Battery, they'll need to get into visual range of the battle before they can fire. Catons is the name of the small town (in modern times it's been swallowed up by Baltimore)....you're only a few miles from Baltimore City itself. And yes, presuming you could defeat the rather large force you're seeing in the morning fog, you could advance on Baltimore itself.

Quick restart notes:

It's still foggy out, so while the dawn is breaking, visibilty is 200m or less.

You've received a runner advising that the Jefferson Davis Legion (JDL) is needed back with the Army of Northern Virginia. It appears that a larger fight is in the offing on their front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                I suggest we do a roll call to see which players are available for command of RR1/RR2 respectively, then restructure so as to get all units moving again.

If no one else reports in Finch will assume command of RR2 entirely as soon Tacs calls (or confirms his call) for orders.

Rojik do you have a command ? We can do with someone to order about our front guard along the Baltimore Pike there.

Frtigern : Leroy outranks Finch, so you would be within your rights to assume command of RR2..

TacCovert4 : The OOB lists 4 x Napoleon 12lb guns commanded by "Dirk". (who's Dirk ?)

Are they with me on the Southern hilltop position ?
                Sorry. Had a couple of huge nightshifts. Am around for the next 4 days if you do need me for a bit of colour.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Probably going to need you to take on one of the regiments. Look at the OOB and at the map and pick which regiment you want to be in charge of. The Reserve Regiment, IIRC has no commander currently. Also note the reserve regiment's special capabilities.

Also, Frit and Snowy, you're both in the same regiment, so one of you will need to pick either the other regiment, or take on the artillery and cavalry and let much of the infantry function as a cohesive brigade. Actually you all might want to work on a different division of resources considering the number of players, though of course Cheetah or CaptAFB could pop in at any time as well.

Comment

• Sure. I can do that
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Ok, sounds good. Also, you all might want to consider re-aligning some of the regiments, either by mission, weapon type, or map location. I'll give it a few days for you all to work out any changes to the force structure that you want to do. Since there are basically 3, and possibly 4 players rather than the original 8 or 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        (…)
                        Also, Frit and Snowy, you're both in the same regiment, so one of you will need to pick either the other regiment, or take on the artillery and cavalry and let much of the infantry function as a cohesive brigade. Actually you all might want to work on a different division of resources considering the number of players, though of course Cheetah or CaptAFB could pop in at any time as well.
                        Yes - I noticed..Frit hasn't really expressed his presence though, his message may also be just a apology for continued absence..we'll see.

At any rate I tried to write a general order to get all units moving or at least give them something to do in absence of more detailed orders.

I'll see what changes by monday and command where a commander is still needed..

Since Rojik is here - I strongly suggest he takes command of the infantry units along the Elysville Road AND is reinforced by Dashy's cavalry, since that'll make a regimental sized force of mixed arms that can operate independently and profit greatly from detailed orders.

Same for the Jaegers and the Grenadiers (which use the same long range rifles iirc) together with Pruits cavalry.

JDL was already ordered back, so they can just continue their movement to get where they need to be, tell them to inform general Hampton of the situation here, specifically of the fact we encountererd the Baltimore garrison on the march as far West as the bridges across the Patapsco - presumably they have been marching all night to get here this early in the morning ?
                        Last edited by Snowygerry; 08 Feb 19, 04:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          (….)
                          It's still foggy out, so while the dawn is breaking, visibilty is 200m or less.
                          Can we consult the brigade meteorologist on the nature of this fog

Is this the sort of morning mist that clears around 9-10 AM, or something that is likely to persist during much of the day..

A fight in 200m visibility has tactical consequences obviously.

Comment

• Morning Mist

And correct. Salient points are that the Jaegers, Grenadiers, and Tigers all use Dreyse rifles, so they have a higher effective rate of fire, although it doesn't really translate into greater effective range. Pruitt and Bates have about a middling rate of fire compared between the Dreyse-armed and rifle-musket armed troops. Dashy's cavalry have sawn-off shotguns, which add quite a bang to a charge but aren't good for skirmishing. And the Badgers are running Whitworth rifles which does give them a very long effective range.
                            Last edited by TacCovert4; 08 Feb 19, 13:31.

Comment

• Lieutenant-Colonel Bird reporting, Sir.

Comment

• Well, Lt. Col. Bird, as the highest ranking member of Rainbow still active on the field, I guess that puts you in charge.

Distribute what you need to to players, and we'll shoot for a resumption date, say 10 days from now or so for orders being due?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X