No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait a bit to see results of 'surrender' keeping an eye on both the railroad and fortifications. Maybe Pruitt can also signal me or send a courier with his full intentions.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• 1700hrs, West to East:

Down in the South, the now cut off men of Leroy's Tigers continue to huddle in their trench as double their numbers continue to close in on them. The only thing preventing a charge are the Yankees own guns, still firing slowly but steadily as they keep the elite veteran riflemen under the surface of the earth. There are no casualties, but it's evident that the Yankee commander is content to work on the nerves of the Tigers before facing them in a rifle fight. Their efforts are beginning to show an effect as even these tough men are showing signs of cracking under a bombardment from 30lb guns. Capt. Von Trapp struggles to keep things in hand and the men ready to repel what he can see as an inevitable climactic assault without any support. He looks back over the river towards where bates quartet of Napoleons stand ready but as yet unused.....

To the North, Capt. Rojik orders Chiswell's cavalrymen to dismount, and they move up with their carbines as they cross the rail bridge still being dismantled by Finch's men. Seeing more men cross the bridge, the Federal commander brings his line up, and a brisk firefight begins at long range as the yankees move up in an effort to block additional forces from crossing the bridge, or maybe their opening bid to force it?

--------

Out West, Capt Fred watches a rider go from the Tar Heels in the long distance towards the fort. He sends his own rider to consult with Maj. Pruitt and stands by, waiting to see what reaction is garnered from the surrender demand. The Federals do not send a reply for some time, and a misting rain begins to roll in over the battlefield as both wait for a reply from their Union counterpart to the demand that his garrison surrender.

With no reply received in about an hour, Capt Fred orders his ersatz regiment to advance around the fort and begin a general havoc of the rail junction or anything else that they can find......

As the greying sky covers the late afternoon sun, a misting rain begins to fall on the battlefield, coming down in fits and starts.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        (…) He looks back over the river towards where bates quartet of Napoleons stand ready but as yet unused.....
        Is Bates there to give the order to fire when opportunity arises ? I ordered them to fire on anything *crossing* the river but sure wouldn't stop them from firing in support of Von Trapp *across* the river.

Somewhat hesitant to order "fire at will" either, for fear of shooting my own men in the back.

They do seem to have clear LOS to the blue unit there now, order "opportunity fire" and "caution against friendly fire" then.

As the greying sky covers the late afternoon sun, a misting rain begins to fall on the battlefield, coming down in fits and starts.
        It'll be dark soon, may offer us some more offensive options, unfortunately I have no one else to order forward

" Rojik how's the injury, any improvement ?"
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 05 Feb 20, 01:21.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• I'll update this tomorrow.....Sorry, RL has been insane.

Comment

• 1900 Hours, East to West:

With the misting rain continuing to pick up even as darkness falls, Fred's ersatz regiment continues to set fire to warehouses, buildings, and other structures in the vicinity of the rail yard, even setting rail cars alight. The glow from the fire continues to build until it's nigh daylight by the fortified area, even with the sun going down. After an hour of fires being started, an officer walks out of the fortification, barely visible in the glowing gloom, towards Pruitt's position with a white flag. Turns out that there were two old 6lb howitzers and crews in the fortified battery, and nothing else. With it taken, the Tar Heels also set about burning along the rail line to increase the conflagration.

Having had plenty of time to lay their guns, Bates' gunners open up a brisk shellfire at relatively close range against the Yankee regulars to their front, right as they start to advance along with the more ragged militia. Under the shellfire, the regulars retreat, but the militia charge and make it in and amongst the Tigers before there's time for the elite riflemen to get back onto the firing step. Fierce hand to hand fighting breaks out for a few minutes and the Tigers are near their breaking point before the Militia suddenly turns and flees, rifles put to use against them as they drop their weapons and run away from the exhausted Tigers.

At the railroad bridges, Chiswell and the Green Jackets continue to load and fire in their lopsided fight with the Yankee infantry, even as Finch's men make their final preparations to demolish the bridge. Suddenly, shellfire crashes into the flank of the Federal lines even as dusk is making it nigh impossible to see. Only a single salvo is fired before Bates' guns go quiet from the dark, but it is enough for that end of the Federal line. On the very edge of cracking themselves, the Green Jackets start to give ground. And then loud huzzahs are heard from the South. Von Trapp had led his exhausted men towards the remaining open bridges, and was calling out so they wouldn't be confused in the dark.

The combination appears to have been enough and as the rain and dark closes in, the yankees fall back out of sight. With the sun down and a brisk light rain, most of the men cannot see more than fifty yards to their front.

dgfred Rojik Snowygerry Pruitt

http://​​​​​​​https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1rJqX215OUZ9M_kXt8vaSBDgcjK9sCsQ9f7f0WeNJTi0/edit?usp=sharing

Comment

• Nice, tnx

Could be something wrong with that link though ?

Hmmm… can't reach this page

https’s server IP address could not be found.
              This one still works.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...f0WeNJTi0/edit

Is this 'The End' or 'To be continued..' ?

Comment

• This isn't the Epilogue to this episode or the campaign. I thought about going straight through to there, but with the battle reaching this point, I felt like it was a good idea to give another orders cycle and see if anything further would be accomplished or if any more combat would take place before just going to epilogue.

Comment

• Ah I see - give me a day or so, have you heard from Pruit or Fred ?

How is Rojik's injury, is he movable ?

Also I need an update from Hampton in regard to our ammo resupply, it's been at least 6 hrs iirc.

tnx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                    Ah I see - give me a day or so, have you heard from Pruit or Fred ?

How is Rojik's injury, is he movable ?

Also I need an update from Hampton in regard to our ammo resupply, it's been at least 6 hrs iirc.

tnx.
                    Nothing yet on ammo resupply. That could be a good thing, in that ammo is coming, albeit slowly, or a bad thing in that the Army is too busy at Cattail Creek to bother with sundries like sending logistics way out to the vanguard. After all, both Longstreet's Corps, Jackson's Corps, and Stuarts Division (minus Rainbow) are fighting at Cattail Creek against pretty much everything Burnside and Hooker could scrape together and put into the field. Having a couple of hours, and with the Rainbow Guard Corps really not needing more than a couple of rounds apiece to guard a broken bridge, you've been able to scrape together a modest supply for your active infantry units, say half a basic load, or enough for about a half hour in the line of battle. You have bayonets of course as well, which might be rather effective in the dark and rain, and most of your cavalry have sabers, knives, or clubbed rifles/shotguns and pistol cartridges. Given some time to recover, the Tiger Rifles are rather nasty in close combat, having cutlasses and pistols in addition to their rifles that are running low on ammunition.

Rojik has been treated and can ride, walking, running, or even galloping wouldn't be recommended, and getting stuck in personally would probably be fatally bad.

Have not heard from dgfred or Pruitt . In their absence, feel free to issue guidance as Fred's second in command. Before it got too dark, they could see the city, and the forts more out on the coastal arc. They could not see any troops or activity though, whatsoever. Some of Fred's riders would like to get a closer look and see if they could make contact with some of their sympathizers in Baltimore. The main rail line leading from Baltimore to DC is what they've been burning, so that's definitively cut at least for a few days even if you all walked away now.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      Given some time to recover, the Tiger Rifles are rather nasty in close combat, having cutlasses and pistols in addition to their rifles that are running low on ammunition.
                      Tiger Rifles (Maj. Leroy)(Fritgern)(Soldier Bonus)(+2 Melee)

240 Infantry (Blue/White Striped Pantaloons, Red Shirts/Blue-Red Jackets), Straw Hats & Fezzes)

100 Casualties

1841 Dreyse Rifle (Adds Capt. Von Trapp)

Cutlasses
                      Von Trapp again eh, we'll have to nominate that fellow for a medal

Those were stuck on the wrong side of the river just a few hrs ago, complement them on making it out alive.

Von Trapp had led his exhausted men towards the remaining open bridges, and was calling out so they wouldn't be confused in the dark.
                      Finch will ride out in person to see to it they make it back unharmed, but presumably they lost some men in the fight ?

Order Von Trapp to take stock of his unit, rest, gather what ammo he can find and and report when he's ready to move again.

Meanwhile we need to get eyes back onto the enemy in front us, make them appear back on the map, at least an estimated position, by sending cavalry outposts across the river, use the few boats saved earlier or watch for campfires, listen for movement etc.

We need to determine the best route to move up and reinforce Fred and Pruitt later during the night.

Infantry outposts are to be posted up and down our side of the river to watch and listen for enemy infiltration attempts in the dark.

Fred's second in command. Before it got too dark, they could see the city, and the forts more out on the coastal arc. They could not see any troops or activity though, whatsoever. Some of Fred's riders would like to get a closer look and see if they could make contact with some of their sympathizers in Baltimore.
                      dgfred

Pruitt

His second in command is sure that Finch would approve of that, and it should be covered by orders given earlier, at least in spirit.

Rojik

You have the choice either remain in position at the bridges or use your limited mobility to lead our forward movement towards Baltimore later tonight ?
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 04 Apr 20, 10:33.

Comment

• I am here... just didn't really know what to do beside pillage and plunder.
                        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Can’t get any maps. Not sure where my boys are
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                            I am here... just didn't really know what to do beside pillage and plunder.
                            Well, you have some options. I might actually avoid 'pillaging' with a couple hundred people, after all the denizens of Baltimore might have cause to do something about that.

Your options are to send runners to try to find sympathizers in Baltimore, cause some sort of general riot or rebellion there, return to the Bridges, go seeking contact, or hold where you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              Can’t get any maps. Not sure where my boys are
                              https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Try this one.

You're pretty much still at the bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                                I am here... just didn't really know what to do beside pillage and plunder.
                                That's always good

Our order is to threaten Baltimore, anything that accomplishes that goes, while still preserving your unit, obviously.

Tac's suggestion was good too, try to send a few riders back, they can inform of your expected position so I can send support, if the opportunity arises.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X