No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, the Tarheel Legion will ride with the Valkyries. The Legion forms a column and rides for the South edge of the woods. They will turn East and ride over the hill in front of them. They will cross the hill and head back to the Pike. There they will head down the Pike towards Baltimore.

The Galloper Guns will set up behind the Tiger Rifles and fire in their support.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
      (…)
      Now if Gardner can hit them once or twice while they are in column that would be splendid, but I cannot tell what he can see, and I am limited in what I can see of them also.
      Finch will position himself on foot near the guns to make sure they fire as ordered even in absence of TAG, I'm in second line for the moment anyway.

Seems we're ready then, tnx gentlemen.
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 09 Jan 20, 04:27.
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

• {I will be updating tomorrow during the day EST. Please note any changes to your orders/directives before then}
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• I'm good to go,

order Finch's own battalion into their usual 3 rank formation as the enemy comes in range, ready to implement their fire and rearward movement routine if needed.

Make sure we save at least two boats hidden on the West bank, they may be needed to bring ammo across when it arrives.

Remind Hampton we need that ammo to be brought up if this fight is to last, if needed we will retreat towards it.

I'll be back on Monday as usual, tnx for doing this

Comment

• I apologize for RL, I will be getting this done as soon as I get Baby Tac to bed tonight.

Comment

• 1600 Hours, South to North:

Major Pruitt leads his small band of cavalry to skirt the southern end of the grove of trees in a 'Ride of the Valkyries' as he says, referring to the very new opera by Wagner. Coming by the trees, it's plain that the Yankees have not ignored him, as volleys of musketry reach out to the cavalry as they spur their mounts to a gallop. The fire appears to be hasty however, and inaccurate. The pair of siege guns are not caught out either, and though the Tar Heels do not make a turn to run down the guns, a pair of shells fired at relatively close range burst and empty a handful of saddles as the Tar Heels gallop past and atop the hill. Once across the hill and back to the Pike, Major Pruitt looks back to see a line of Marines barring the road between him and the siege guns, and apparently no Yankees to his front as his men slow their blown mounts to a trot and ride through Catons towards Baltimore. Pruitt finally sees the railroad junction, as well as the earthwork protecting it from attack. An earthen fort, topped with a short palisade, and with what appear to be two embrasures for cannon, is present, the whole of the fort being maybe 12 feet high.

Meanwhile, The Tigers improve their positioning in the abandoned earthworks, and get the galloper guns in place. Slow, steady bombardment from the siege cannons well outside of the range of their howitzers continues to fall upon them as the Yankees most definitely have the range. One of the galloper guns is dismounted and rendered useless, but otherwise the effect of the fire is just to keep the Tigers huddled in the trench while the Yankee infantry begin to move ever closer to their position.

Their role completed and the Green Jackets in place, the Jeff Davis Legion trots off to catch up to the rest of Fred's ersatz 'regiment' as they also move towards the railroad. Fred has also spied the fort from his direction and brings his troops to a halt, giving the Badgers a needed breather as they lack horses for fast movement.

The Yankee Column comes under fire from Gardner's battery, expending the last few of their precious shells and only having about two rounds of canister apiece left for a close-range emergency. The effects of the first shells are mixed, though the second rends some visible gaps in the files of one of the marching columns. The Federal commander has obviously seen the JDL depart, and the reduced regiment moves to a blocking position while the Marines, sailors, and militia move into a line of battle facing off against the Green Jackets, staying just out of range for now.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Major Pruitt calls a halt and calls Lieutenant Roscoe to come to him. "Cousin, take a white flag and ask those people in the earthworks if they want to surrender! We are doing this to prevent more shedding of blood!"

Comment

• Do I assume then that Finch in his position at the river is receiving reports about the situation a few miles East ?

At any rate, his orders stand unchanged for now.

...avoid decisive engagements, inflict maximum damage to infrastructure, while conserving your force, and report back to me.
                  Any rider to arrive before dark and report, will receive the same reply from Finch.

"While an offer to accept surrender is nice and adds to the impression we seek to create, you're not in a position to take and hold prisoners.

Once you've observed the position and your men have rested a bit, unite forces Fred and Pruitt, and move around the enemy fortification towards Baltimore.

Target anything not covered by rifle fire from the earthworks, and destroy it, find railroad cars, wagons, buildings, goods, anything that burns, and make sure they see the glow in Baltimore when it gets dark.

Intercept military runners and riders from and to Baltimore, cut telegraph lines and signal posts, scare civilians into fleeing towards Baltimore.

Our mission, at least your part of it, is to create panic, not necessarily to defeat the enemy force in the field."
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 Jan 20, 05:12.

Comment

• To the Tigers word is sent to inform that while their position is a strong one, they we're really not expected to hold it, I expected them to be with Pruitt.

In fact, with the bridge behind them down there's little point in dying there, and little for me to be done to support them.

They are free to move anywhere as they see fit, if they still can, or rejoin me after dark if possible.

Tiger Rifles (Hauptmann Augustus)(Soldier Bonus)(+2 Melee)

245 Infantry (Blue/White Striped Pantaloons, Red Shirts/Blue-Red Jackets, Green Uniforms, Grey Uniforms), Straw Hats & Fezzes and Black Helmets and Grey Hats)

1841 Dreyse Rifle and Bayonet (Adds Capt. Von Trapp)

Cutlasses
                    I remember Von Trapp, he was with Finch at Carolina City iirc, a fine soldier, send him my regards, and wish him luck.
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 Jan 20, 06:06.

Comment

• Offering them a chance to surrender is just a strategy. The news that the position has fallen, might induce the troops behind us to panic. (Trying to pull a Nathan Bedford Forrest here).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X