No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flank boys! Hit them in the flank and hit them hard! Make those boys run home to their mammas!
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Update will be tomorrow or Saturday if I can get done with a few things IRL.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Update in the next 36 hours, depending on baby Tac's sleep schedule.

Comment

• In brief (and apologies for my tardy remarks):

-Leroy to reform in situ with Fawcett's praise for their stirring performance. They should be ready to continue their assault shortly against the exposed unit to their south.
          -Bates to reform in reserve, standing ready to go back in if either flank of Rainbow's thin position is threatened
          -RGC to retreat west instead of to Gardner, occupying the town west of Finch after Finch drops the bridge.
          -Gardner to prepare to move, but remain unlimbered and deployed at this time.

-Bird's local command at Mt Catons reasserted
          -Jaeger and NCGG to conserve their fire as practical.
          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• 1040hrs, South to North:

At General Fawcett's direction, most of Rainbow in the South reforms in place, warily eyeing the federal troops on the other side of the road, but neither side budges from their defensive positions, or in Rainbow's case, hasty defensive Works. The wounded of the Rainbow Guard begin to slowly aid each other in ambling for the Baltimore Pike bridge. Bates manages to reform his forces, and Leroy gets control of his Tigers, mustering them back into formation. Lt. Rojik refuses to be denied his glorious saber charge, however, and leads his sixty troopers directly at the nearest formation of Federal Infantry. Pitching into them, his men have become disorganized and strike them as a bit more of a mob than as the perfect knee to knee formation of sabers needed for the classic charge. The Federals however, are equally disorganized, unable to wheel in time, and the battle becomes pitched. Finally the Federal Infantry break to the rear, but the cavalry are in no shape to follow, with only thirty men remaining in the saddle, and Lt. Rojik only barely, considering bayonet wounds to his sword arm and his thigh.

The Badgers continue to take pot shots at the Union infantry, Major Holden reluctant to leave his cover to trek back to the Elysville Road. After a couple of minutes of giving some very steady but devestatingly effective fire, the first 30lb shells crash into the trees, sending splinters flying. Taking their last shots at the union infantry now falling back into the cover of the town, the Badgers move out, scattering as they move to deny the artillery a clean shot, and the heavy shells go well wide of the darting and small targets.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Finch : continue under present orders.
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Family emergency slowed this down. However update first of next week.

Comment

• Well, has Rainbow Brigade triumphed over the evil Yankees and won the war for good?
                  Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Well actually the battle was in the balance somewhat. But real life got in the way.

Comment

• I suspect we have accomplished our mission here, or at least were in a position to do so when it ended, but there won't be much of Rainbow Co. left,

I fear it's off to the rear to rest and rebuild

Major Finch.
                      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Overall, there was effectively one remaining challenge, in sort of 2 parts.

1) Obviously dealing with the forces that are still immediately to your front.

2) Seeing if Rainbow in whole or in part could push beyond the current battlefield to directly threaten Baltimore in any way, or cut the railroad.

Overall, if the remaining players give their impressions and guidance, I'll work on an epilogue post to wrap up the game as this would have been the final episode for Rainbow.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          Overall, there was effectively one remaining challenge, in sort of 2 parts.

1) Obviously dealing with the forces that are still immediately to your front.

2) Seeing if Rainbow in whole or in part could push beyond the current battlefield to directly threaten Baltimore in any way, or cut the railroad.

Overall, if the remaining players give their impressions and guidance, I'll work on an epilogue post to wrap up the game as this would have been the final episode for Rainbow.
                          I'd be happy to, give me day or so

I found this in my notes, don't remember exactly where I cut it, but is it accurate ?

Army of Northern Virginia wins battle of cattail creek. AotP hors de combat, Washington garrison corps intact and withdrawn from the field to blocking positions.
                          Could you tell us a bit more about the Battle of Cattail Creek (presumably the larger fight of which we formed the extreme flank) ?

Likely it will affect our next movements, certainly RB Co. has nowhere near the manpower to march into a major city like Baltimore (or has it ?), so a lot will depend on the state of the ANV after battle there….
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; Today, 03:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                            Well, has Rainbow Brigade triumphed over the evil Yankees and won the war for good?
                            Well we have won all our battles, and presumably did better than historically, but I suspect our overall strategic position is still a lost one, and operationally the ANV is deep in enemy territory with few real good options imho.

A quick look at the map shows Washington and its intact garrison to be in between us and Northern Virginia.....

Doing maximum damage before starting an orderly withdrawal towards our supply lines may be neccesary.

Major Finch.
                            Last edited by Snowygerry; Today, 05:21.

Comment

• Colonel Fawcett. You will take your Rainbow Brigade East and threaten Baltimore. You must seize and hold Ellicott’s Mills, as that is the most direct route into the rear of the Army. But more importantly, you must impress upon the Federal commander a significant threat to his charge. To keep him from simply sending a column by a different bridge or ferry, you need to force him to stand before the city and protect it. Force him to muster his full strength near the city, where he cannot intervene in the fighting here.”
                              I took a look at our orders again,

it's only 10.40 of course, we'll have to guard the river crossings at least untill nightfall, unless otherwise ordered.

But from the last movements of the enemy, I'm of the opinion, that for the moment, they've lost most of their forward momentum.

Also, since General Hampton is with us on the field, we can probably conclude everything is more or less under control elsewhere….

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X