Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Never turn down reinforcements. More is always better than less. God, after all, is on the side of the bigger battalions...
    In principle yes, except Hampton isn't a reserve - every man we call to help us fight the Baltimore Garrison isn't fighting the Army of the Potomac.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Can't we use deception here? Can we act as if we're all assaulting a single bridge, hopefully persuading Yankees to commit all of their forces to defending that bridge while leaving a skeleton defense force to guard the other bridge? As soon we feel Yankees have committed all forces, we can surprise them with a secondary assault and roll them up from the flank and rear.

If we divide our forces between two bridges equally and not much in way of reserves, Yankees can direct the forces to either bridge without worrying about flanks.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

We can do that.

By camping some distance from the bridges and setting the go-time to 0400 (approx an hour before nautical twilight) I'm hoping we can surprise them at least initially, but if we go with option one we could send a column down towards the second bridge and fix them from one side before we launch your secondary assault from the other.

Hopefully both regiments can use their best units to press the attack at different stages while keeping one company in rotating reserve, and Major Pruitt and I can commit our reserves where needed as well.

Comment

I like the idea of forcing the crossing of the river. I hate the fact that we have to attack stationary targets (bridges) where Yankees can fixate their defenses to repulse us. We need to think out of the box, to do something Yankees would never guess at all. If we can form a foothold on the other side, we can force Yankees to react accordingly, thus weakening either bridge which affords us opportunities to press upon Yankees from multiple directions.

Ask Tac what lunar schedule it is, I'm wondering if we can get moon light, so that we can do this without use of lanterns.

Or set up a dummy force with lanterns (we can use mounted cavalry units) moving toward the bridges, alerting Yankees to our movement. They will think bridge assault is about to be undertaken while potentially ignoring us crossing at the shallow point and come up behind them.

I absolutely don't want to get drawn into a battle of attrition if we can help it.
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Weather Conditions. Clear, Crescent Moon
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I see the bridges as only the first stage of this engagement, so we absolutely cannot get hung up with the small bridge garrisons and find ourselves still there when the Baltimore column arrives. Ideally I’d like to be at Phaseline 3 to receive them.

With the lights from the towns west of the river to guide us onto the map, I think it’s reasonable to attack the bridges (from the west at least) without lanterns.

Comment

Cavalry and our sharpshooters should push across the bridge as fast as possible, and help flank the other bridge. I would suggest they move to run across the Elysville bridge, as the other one(southern bridge) is protected by field works. Artillery should be concentrated on the southern bridge as we force a crossing as quickly as possible there.

From there we should move along the Baltimore Pike,using the two hills as protection against the phaseline 3 yankee fortifications. I believe speed is of essence here. If we the enemy has time to link up and reinforce we will be heavily outnumbered; and even our veteran forces will be in a severe disadvantage when attacking fortifications then.
                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Lt.Col. Tony Bird looks at the map again. Some enemy positions are are marked on the map, the enemy is protecting the Baltimore Pike bridge and has a position in depth. Nothing on the map about the enemy near the Elysville Road Bridges - Two bridges here.

Remembering his time at St.Cyr where his warfare instructor would pound in the student's head the statement "L'ennemi n'est pas fol" - The enemy is not stupid. Yes! The enemy has a vote in any plan we may elect to take.

If I was the Yanks, I would not allow the troops defending the Baltimore Pike bridge to be flanked. If I was the Yanks, I would hold the knoll East of the Elysville Rd Bridges and perhaps even place troops in the cornfield. With green troops under command, I would ambush any invaders crossing the Elysville bridge, boosting morale of my troops first encounter with the enemy. And with artillery in place, I could stay there for a long time before having to withdraw to a main defensive position.

Bird starts establishing key features on the ground to develop his plan. In his area, the bridges are the Vital Ground - If we do not hold a crossing, we cannot threaten Baltimore and accomplish our mission. The Important Ground is the knoll and also the bend in the river between the two bridge sites - the knoll because it is the key to defending the Elysville Rd bridges; the bend because placing Rainbow artillery at that point, it can provide supporting fire against any Yank position as 1st RR crosses the two Elysville Rd bridges.

Speed is going to be needed to take the Elysville bridges. Mass and firepower are then going to be needed to take and hold the knoll.

As Bird starts formulating his plan he will be submitting to Fawcett (OOC: By Tuesday morning), but it is clear that for Phase I and II, extra cavalry will be required (J.D. Legion). And extra artillery may also be needed - After phase II, Rainbow should be able to send back the guns to Hampton.

Comment

Are there any fords between the two roads?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

We agree with the plan to wait to cross until after the northern bridge is crossed. Then we can proceed once 1st RR establishes its line. Would like to have some pressure from the north put on those Union batteries overlooking the southern bridge. After that we will cross, mop up that battery and move forward to the little buttes to the east.

Lt. Col Leroy, 2nd Rainbow
                      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        Are there any fords between the two roads?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                        You have no idea. You'd have to dedicate time to scouting it, with a risk of being discovered being quite high.

Comment

Participation depending, I intend to start this episode on Friday, next Tuesday at the latest.

Comment

If the various commanders can agree upon a plan of action, the battle will commence Tuesday.

Comment

As military isn't a democracy, so I'll leave it to Fawcett to make the final decision and how to deploy our forces as well.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

PM sent to Col Fawcett with proposed plan
                                Last edited by Capt AFB; 05 Sep 18, 22:01.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X