No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll give 48 hours for the other commanders to post their orders before I do the turn....so.....2300hrs on Wednesday 3/6/19. That should account for all the time anyone needs to alter orders to reflect command guidance if they choose to do so.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      No worries....RL (Baby Tac) is getting the better of both of us at the moment, so I certainly understand.
      Practicing shock and awe tactics is he

No additional orders from me, Finch will just relay Birds orders to the NCGG and the Jaegers and concentrate on directing his fire.

No need to rush or overcomplicate things, just happy we got this going again..
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Sends a runner back to the next ranking officer of the JDL - Take the troop down the road and find out what is happening at the bridge. Shake out half a dozen men to lead ahead to make sure it's not a trap. Try and use surprise on the Yankee horse we think are there, but if they are too strong for that then send word back, and just try to keep them busy while we see how things develop.

Taking personal command of Dashy's boys L'Rojik gives his orders. Lads we are to make a demonstration with out cannon while the Jaegars screen. The idea is to keep those people on our south flank busy while the Tar Heels and the NCGG hit those to the north of us on the flank and roll it up. Then, we are to join the flank attack and roll up the flank and cut down all that we can reach. Right boys. For glory! Let's show them why we are the most feared riders this side of the Mississippi!
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
          Sends a runner back to the next ranking officer of the JDL - Take the troop down the road and find out what is happening at the bridge. Shake out half a dozen men to lead ahead to make sure it's not a trap. Try and use surprise on the Yankee horse we think are there, but if they are too strong for that then send word back, and just try to keep them busy while we see how things develop.
          Roj. No need to send a runner to the JDL. The unit is now at Bird's position and he can give them orders directly. His messenger to your position would have indicated that.

BTW, as per my previous direction, the Jaeger would come under command of Finch, once they arrive on South Hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post

Roj. No need to send a runner to the JDL. The unit is now at Bird's position and he can give them orders directly. His messenger to your position would have indicated that.

BTW, as per my previous direction, the Jaeger would come under command of Finch, once they arrive on South Hill.
            OOC - No worries. Finding my feet here and the split command is a bit of a handful. Just wanted to cover all bases.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Everything locked in. Update tonight.

Comment

• 0600hrs. Moderate Light, Foggy, Visibility 200m+

North to South:

General Fawcett finds himself trotting along as Gardner's Battery, unengaged and fresh, are able to make excellent time down the straight and presumably clear road until he passes the low hill and swings them into the fog to go across the open ground to where he purports to have a firing position. Still, despite fresh horses and a driving pace, it's slower going than a true flying battery would be.

Meanwhile, on 'Mount Catons', with visibility ever so slowly improving, the Blues maintain their position on the edge of the grove as the Green Jackets move into position to advance to the crest. With the Badgers advancing to their left, and the Blues moving up on the right, slowed by having to prolong their guns out of the trees, the Green Jackets advance in line to make contact with the enemy. Suddenly, to the front, comes a snarling gunfire sound as rounds begin to crack at a steady pace. Men in the rightmost company fall to extremely rapid rifle fire. A volley is fired but there is no visible result aside from a single crashing boom instantly recognizable as a large cannon, probably 20lbder. A hole is riven in the Green Jacket lines. The Blues fire both of their howitzers with canister at the top of the hill, to be answered by rifle fire which they immediately return. Having lost at least a half-company in a matter of seconds, the legendary Green Jackets reload and fire from the knee, but the obscuring smoke and fog does not let them observe any results of their action.

With blind rifle fire cracking back and forth, both units lie down to avoid being hit as their commanders peer into the gloom until Major Frumm decides that Col. Bird meant to advance at all costs. Ordering bayonets fixed, the units rise as one and fire all weapons in a rippling volley across side of the hill before the order to charge is given. Another crash of a 20lb gun rips a hole in the Green Jacket line and the rapid chattering of rifle fire restarts momentarily, cutting down many of the brave soldiers before the lines close. The soldiers find themselves embroiled in hand to hand fighting along the flank of an artillery work. Only one gun was able to be traversed out of several in place, and a strange gun on a carriage with a coffee mill atop it is spotted being dragged rapidly back as the well-heeled Green Jackets and Blues clash bayonet to bayonet with what appear to be Yankee militia.

Riding at the full gallop, the Jeff Davis Legion push their winded mounts as they charge straight down the road towards the wagon train wherewith to save it if they can. Their passage might be obscured by the fog, but it's nowhere near quiet, and near the bridge they run square into a Federal cavalry company riding due East into them. A wild melee breaks out with pistols, carbines, shotguns, and clubbed weapons being used with reckless abandon in the swirling, confused engagement. In the end, the JDL troopers find only 4 wagons remaining out of the Brigade's 12 with the rest merrily burning, and the Union cavalry escape, both sides having been mauled heavily... the rescued wagons having been pulled onto the bridge where the teamsters lost half their number firing from the cover of two wagons swung sideways and currently on fire.

Meanwhile, on the Baltimore Pike.....

Dashwood's cavalry fire a volley at the fallen-back Federal troops before riding to find the Grenadier Guards. Major Pruitt brings his cavalry back to the hill and guides the Guards forward until they can fall on the flank of the Yankee line. Firing their Dreyses as the entire Regiment on the hills gives two Rebel Yells, the Federal troops fall back only to take fire from Pruitt's cavalry. Pruitt notices that his command is now both very much reduced and he can see Federal troops in front and behind him, and he can see caissons in the lifting fog, signifying the Federal artillery coming up with the now reformed infantry.

With the sun fully above the horizon, the fog is rapidly thinning......

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Sorry about the delay, had to wait for the opportune moment where Baby Tac gave me 90 minutes without interruption so I could work my way through the turn without breaks....I tend to make real mistakes when I work on it in stages.

Comment

• Major Pruitt hollers for The Tarheels to disengage and head for the Flank and to form alongside Dashy's Cavalry.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Let's go with 3/18 for the deadline. I'm starting a new position in the morning, so Detective Tac will have to find out how much time he has to work on updates, but I'm dedicated to finishing this game out......plus I've already worked out a lot of what's going on around Rainbow in the wider campaign and I'm looking forward to writing one of the three possible epilogues.....

Comment

• Finch peers into the fighting in front of him, trying to anticipate where and when the enemy might come in range.

No additional orders for now.
                        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• 4 Days till the deadline. I will hold this deadline, so if no new orders are given, then 'stand fast and defend current position or continue a multi-turn non-combat movement' will be considered to be the standing orders. Remember, the enemy can gain the movement initiative.....

Comment

• Since you ask - maybe order my rear line to take note of the Union cavalry unit to their rear - to the West up the Baltimore Pike.

If we have a long turn they might just plunge into our rear, send a similar warning to Frits men.

Since my second line has been digging for two turns now, just standing in line ready to receive them behind the ditch with pickets out will do
                            Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Mar 19, 09:01.

Comment

• Yikes! Just came back dealing with RL and some down time in the middle of nowhere. Getting back in the game by tomorrow.

Comment

• No problem, just some inactivity and I wanted to bump everyone to get their orders in by the deadline. Now that troops are in contact, I'm going to be a bit more ruthless in enforcing the deadline.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X