Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L'Rojik sends a runner back to HQ:

They aren't green and they aren't stopping. Will do what we can until further orders.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• If we can have orders by Monday at noon EST I will endeavor to get this thing moving more quickly.

Note about merging like units, for instance the jaegers and tigers. If done, obviously you have fewer units to deal with and larger more robust battalions. But the merger is one way only, you can't split off. No pressure to merge anything, only noting it in case it's been thought about.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• I'll think about it a bit longer - I considered adopting the grenadiers earlier as specialized skirmishers to my battalion, but with only two small units to command it won't matter all that much for now..

There's always a chance K. will come back also - I believe they were his originally ?

Also I'll have to deploy side by side anyway for now to cover my frontage and flank.

So just leave them as is for now thanks
        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
        Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• I think I will order the Jaegers to advance and hit the Yankees between them and the Tarheels. Major Pruitt send orderlies back to Finch and The Grenadier Guards, asking them to move forward and help him crumble the Yankee Flank.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Lt.Col. Bird arrive on the Centre Hill, getting reports from the different Rainbow units.

He move Bates infantry and its 2 integral artillery piece to a position East on the hill were the guns can blast away at anything moving on the road. Bates troops move quickly into position.

He adjust Finch's unit a bit further back so that it properly flanked by both hills...He is creating a Kill Zone on the Baltimore Pike that will receive fire from Finch, Bates and the NCGG.

Dashy's rider reaches him, indicating that the Yanks may not be so green after all. Minutes later as Maj Finch himself comes meeting Bird, a rider from Pruitt comes to explain his unit's predicament, requesting help from Finch and the NCGG.

Bird is a bit miffed that Pruitt and the Jaeger are heavily engaged, but understand that the fortunes of war does often its own thing to the best laid plans.

Bird send Dashy's rider back to Capt Rojik, directing his cavalry and two gallopher guns to help the Tar Heels to extract themselves, and to help keep the enemy's flank busy

Bird also send a rider to JDL to focus his attention of his screening action against the enemy's flank...His intent is to use the fog to leave the Yanks centre move up the Baltimore Pike a bit more quickly than its flanks and let it walk into the Kill Zone.

Speaking with Finch, he acknowledge the concern about keeping the Northern bridges intact, but at this time, he prefers the risk in order to keep options open, if an too strong enemy requires Rainbow to withdraw...Not that this will be required, at least, not until they have bloodied the enemy.

Comment

• No merging units at this time. Other players may be coming back, and leaves a bit more flexibility in maneuvering our units around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                Lt.Col. Bird arrive on the Centre Hill, getting reports from the different Rainbow units.

()
                He adjust Finch's unit a bit further back so that it properly flanked by both hills...He is creating a Kill Zone on the Baltimore Pike that will receive fire from Finch, Bates and the NCGG.
                Understood.

They're forward a bit because they have shorter range and because they have this neat fire-and-move-by-rank, routine they practiced in earlier battles.

They're also deployed in two ranks, with the rear rank digging - so once the enemy comes in range they will retreat while firing, to their assigned position on the map, which is after all just an approximation of their "true" position at any moment.

Bird can point out the position he wants the fall back "trench" to be if it helps, since ultimately they end up there...

Speaking with Finch, he acknowledge the concern about keeping the Northern bridges intact, but at this time, he prefers the risk in order to keep options open, if an too strong enemy requires Rainbow to withdraw...Not that this will be required, at least, not until they have bloodied the enemy.
                Understood.

The concern was not as much with keeping them intact for now, but rather with the lack of preparations to destroy them quickly when the need arises.

There's a unnamed unit near the Southern bridge at least, without orders, that could be used for that...

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                I think I will order the Jaegers to advance and hit the Yankees between them and the Tarheels. Major Pruitt send orderlies back to Finch and The Grenadier Guards, asking them to move forward and help him crumble the Yankee Flank.

With Lt. Col Bird with him on the hill, Finch just relays the message.
                Last edited by Snowygerry; 22 Feb 19, 04:09.
                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                  Bird send Dashy's rider back to Capt Rojik, directing his cavalry and two gallopher guns to help the Tar Heels to extract themselves, and to help keep the enemy's flank busy

Bird also send a rider to JDL to focus his attention of his screening action against the enemy's flank...His intent is to use the fog to leave the Yanks centre move up the Baltimore Pike a bit more quickly than its flanks and let it walk into the Kill Zone.
                  Boys, get word out. Dashy's lads are to take the guns and themselves to the south and help out the Tar Heels. Form up on their south flank of the unit engaging the Jaegers, and hit them there. JDL is to form up to the north and slow that flank of the Yankees. Screen and slowly fall back. No general engagements though. Pay no mind to the troops in the middle. Both of you are going to be aways from each other, so keep me or the Col aware of what is happening on both flanks.
                  Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Quick note: due to weather conditions and combat situations, remember there could be slight delays in some orders. 5 minutes or less unless its something crossing substantial portions of the battlefield. This delay will likely disappear with the fog.

Comment

• Reminder, if possible, orders in in approx. 18hrs. Thanks

Comment

• Fawcett clambered back into his saddle with the help of two of his loyal boys, and over the loud protests of the surgeon still wrapping an additional bandage around his leg. "Yes, yes I know - if I dismount I'm going to bleed out and save you and your friends a spot of work. Don't worry, I'm not ready to die yet but I'm going to stay with my men or die trying."

"Then die you surely will, you stupid pig-headed oaf!" cried the Irish surgeon as he tucked the last end of the strip of clean white linen into the binding, but Fawcett was already surveying the field from his new vantage point and snapped out a quick directive to one of the men beside him.

"Johnny, run on up to Colonel Bird and give him my compliments. Advise him that the rumours of my death are somewhat exaggerated. He has a good command of the engagement and I will not reassert field command at this time. Let him know I will be bringing Gardner's guns up personally by way of the Elysville road, and expect to be in a position to support his defense once the fog lifts."

With that he suits deed to word, setting off westward at a jaunty canter that attracts a daggered gaze from the surgeon as he returns to his work.

----

Orders: Riding west to retrieve Gardner and bring him up by way of the Elysville Road. Intention to find good ground (likely between the roads) where he can enfilade fire into the Federal advance on the southern ridge.
                        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• 0540hrs: Still Foggy, Half-Light. Visibility 200-300m

North to South:

With the wounded Gen. Fawcett riding back to retrieve the errant artillery battery, the rest of Bird's old regiment continue to march forward on their mission. Reaching the woods, the infantry find no horse soldiers in the trees. The Georgia Badgers, carefully but swiftly moving in the fog, reach the cornfield and again find no one there. The Green Jackets hold position temporarily, waiting to see if the Badgers need assistance. Then word comes back from the Blues, that upon reaching the edge of the trees they can see a line of blue coats on the hill by the breastwork ramparts of the expected artillery battery, still unseen as of yet. The Blues roll up their pair of little howitzers as they crouch at the edge of the wood.

Far to the rear, Bird hears the sound of gunfire and explosions along the Baltimore Pike at some distance, back where the wagons had been left during Rainbow's advance into the fog.

On the twin hills flanking the pike, Bates troops get their four 12lb Napoleons into place and then spread out into their accustomed skirmish formation aside from those men necessary to the guns. The other companies and battalions on the hills prepare for a fight that appears to be inevitable. Meanwhile, the Jeff Davis Legion continues to wheel to and fro, firing from horseback as they try to slow the Federal advance. The Federal troops fire back, and casualties start to mount amongst the cavalry as they fall back to the position on the hill.

In the confusing scrum to the South, Major Pruitt continues to live his charmed life as no musket ball strikes him, though a number of his troopers have fallen and the casualties still continue to mount. Fighting for their lives, the Tar Heels manage to get out of the melee, losing a number of men shot as they finally ride clear. Answering them are a pair of canister shots from Dashwood's cavalry, forcing the Yankees to break off and fall back into the mist while continuing to take fire from the Jaegers and Dashwood's guns.

With daylight the men can observe that the fog is beginning to get slightly more transparent closer to the ground. On the hill, the troops peering into the wispy white in front of them can just make out a line of dark shapes, and hear sergeants yell at men to close up the files.....

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Major Pruitt sends Messengers to the Grenadier Guards and Finch. I propose to hit that last Yankee unit in the rear, I ask the GG to hit them in the Flank and Finch to hit them head on. We will meet in the middle!

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• As the fog lifts and shapes of men appear, Leroy pivots his men left to face the opposing Union battalion with orders to hold this flank for as long as needed, and in true Tigers fashion make ready for devastating volleys.
                              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• I would like to do the next update in a week, so orders due by 3/4/19 at noon EST.

Weather update (since not all of you live in those parts): The fog is now starting to lift slightly since the sun is coming up. Your characters know that there will be a slow and steady lifting of the fog over the next 1-2 hours until it's gone away enough that visibility will be 'normal'.
                                Last edited by TacCovert4; 26 Feb 19, 10:04.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X