No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Episode 6: A Bridge on the River Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt.Col Bird 's finds a GJ trooper with horseman experience and gives him one of the Company Commander's horse, and sends him to Gardner battery with the following orders

Gardner battery to move to the top of Centre Hill by way of B&O RR and Baltimore Pike at fastest speed.

Once the orders provided, the trooper is to find the supply train and have it move behind Centre Hill.

In the meanwhile, LtCol Bird move to the top of Centre Hill.

(All: Next time I will draw the move on a map. If you have any questions or if your orders seem unclear, PM me.)

Comment

• Finch Orders :

NCGG to disengage and quickly withdraw in an orderly fashion to the Southern most hill and establish a defensive position on the hill's NE gradient.

NCGG to hold its position and prepare to defend the hill with its superior firepower and grenades. On arriving on its position, its trumpets will blast three time to indicate to the cavalry and Jaeger to start their withdrawing actions.

Finch to move his Battalion to the passage between both hill. Finch to be ready to take command of 3rd RR at Phase II (Finch Battalion, NCGG, Jaeger and Pruitt's cavalry).
      Finch confers with Pruitt for moment and puts him command of the Jaegers as can be seen below.

Then he orders his own company to their new position on the passage between both hills, they will take position in two ranks, and even advance a bit, so as to be able to fire as the enemy comes in view.

Himself he rides up to the NCGG to assume personal command, (he commanded these men before so he should have little problem getting them follow his orders), he will closely coordinate the fire and movement of both units to avoid friendly fire incidents as the grenadiers may retreat through the line of fire his own company in limited visibility.

They will retire on the run, by rank, W-SW after firing, repeating this movement to reach their assigned position on the southernmost hill's NE gradiŽnt, cover their retreat with a volley of grenades if needed if the enemy comes too close.

A runner is sent back to procure a ammo (rifle rounds and grenades) supply if needed, so as to be able keep up a continuous fire on the advancing column.
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Feb 19, 05:10.
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• The Tarheels should not be assigned to the far flank. They should be refused to the rear a bit. If that is a Yankee Regiment in front of me, they will have at least 600 men to my 100. We should at least move around their vulnerable Southern Flank. Once again, I need some troops to back me up. Right now there are none.
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Well if we limit ourselves to this for the moment,

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
          Phase I

NCGG to disengage and quickly withdraw in an orderly fashion to the Southern most hill and establish a defensive position on the hill's NE gradient.

Jaegers and all cavalry units will use mobility, terrain and current low visibility to screen and slow down the Yanks forward movement towards the two hills to allow Rainbow units to form a defensive position.
          That appears to me as if you can take the Jaegers and your own men and move around the flank as intended..

You will move off map, so you may have to contact Tac to see what is possible.

Me and Frit will still be behind you to organize the line..
          Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Feb 19, 03:37.
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            (Ö) . We should at least move around their vulnerable Southern Flank. Once again, I need some troops to back me up. Right now there are none.
            At this point, Finch Battalion, NCGG, Jaeger and Tar Heels to form 3rd RR under command of Finch.
            Pruitt

And this at least gives me the authority to detach the jaegers to support your cavalry and use them as you see fit within the spirit of our general orders.

Get to writing orders and see what can be done.

As you point out you will be operating in close proximity to much greater enemy numbers (the Baltimore garrison is estimated 5-7000 men + heavy guns) so use your best judgement.
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Feb 19, 04:32.

Comment

• Capt AFB : an ADC is sent to express concern with the fact that there seem to be no measures taken to at least try to destroy the bridges, which would after all be an obvious way to slow and funnel the enemy advance...

Comment

• Dashwood's cavalry is ordered to screen the main army, falling back slowly and attacking any enemy units that advance to far ahead of the main body, without getting into a general engagement.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Quick Note:

Baby Tac will be occurring slightly ahead of schedule....aka Wednesday Morning. With that in mind, if the orders are set tomorrow morning, I'll do the update bright and early so that it doesn't slip on my end.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Gents,

It is early dawn, it is foggy and visibility is 200m and less.

The Yanks troops are estimated as mostly green, with some training, and no experience under fire.

Pruitt's cav, Dashy's cav, JDL and Jaegers have a screening role here - And conditions for screening are fabulous.

The screening force are not to engage decisively or in a face-to-face engagement with the enemy.

Pruitt and JDL use the speed of their horses to use the limited visibility and flank the enemy, shoot a few rounds, try to have them follow you and disengage immediately.

Dashy's cav can tag team with the JDL and come from another direction once the JDL completes its hits against the enemy.

The Jaegers can support Pruitt's cav to a point as they are not as mobile and must cover a larger front as the cav units hit the flank.

The Screen is expected to demonstrate and make much noise to confuse the enemy - The fact that the Yankee troops are green and visibility is limited, the psychological impact on them should be tremendous and end with a confuse and somewhat disorganized enemy.

Pruitt take command of the Jaeger for your screening mission. Do not engage the enemy in any decisive battle, but focus on hits and runs, while making sure that your force can withdraw to the South Hill at all times.Coordinate your withdrawal actions with Rojik.

Rojik take command of both Dashy's cavalry and JDL. Same orders as Pruitt and coordinate your own withdrawing actions towards the Centre Hill with him.

Comment

• L'Rojik briefs his commanders:

Hit and run, boys. Quick actions. Much noise. Make them stop and form up, and then withdraw. Our job is confuse them, not fight them. 1-2 hits. JDL to hit on one side, reform and screen, then Dashy's boys to do the same. Make them think that there are more of us than there are. Do not get into a heavy fight. That is what the troops digging in on the hills are for. God be with you boys, and I'll either see you on the other side of the hills or in Valhalla.
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Major Pruitt orders the Jaegers to engage the Yankee in front of the Tarheels . After the Jaeger fire a few rounds he orders the Tarheels to advance and turn the flank of the Yankee unit in front of him. After they gain the rear of these Yankees, he orders a round of Sharps fire and then commands pull Pistols and charge! Once the Yankees route, he rides back around to his starting position.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Alright gents. I'm going to consider orders locked in for this turn. Where a unit doesn't have orders from its individual commander I will follow AFB orders. Where orders conflict i will defer to the individual unit commander. And keep in mind the weather and time of day will have an effect especially when a less than elite unit is getting orders by runner.

Comment

• 0520hrs: Weather: Foggy, dawn breaking and visibility increasing.

North to South:

Under detached command, the Green Jackets and Badgers continue to pick their way forward in the fog. The Blues fall back to regimental reserve, bringing up the rear as they march along the Elysville Rd. Nearing the woods at the low rise called "Mount Catons" by Col. Bird, the men hear the snort of horses faintly to their front. Meanwhile, Col. Bird moves with a couple of aides-de-camp towards the more southerly hill to link up with the rest of the wounded Gen. Fawcett's command staff. Gardner's battery receives its orders, and still being limbered for a road march immediately begin working down the rail line for the Pike.

On the hill, there's momentary confusion amongst the Tigers and Irregulars as Col. Finch rides forward to contact the Grenadiers. Finch's own battalion moves into position between the hills, waiting for contact to occur. Reaching the Grenadiers, Finch orders them to the rear at the double, and with a final volley the Grenadiers comply with aplomb, though a few of them are struck with fire as they stand and withdraw.

Capt. Rojik takes command of Dashwood's Cavalry and the Jeff Davis Legion. Riding between the commands, he orders them to shake out into mounted skirmishers and ride at the enemy lines, firing out of the fog and then withdrawing out of sight. Unfortunately, despite the maneuvers, the extremely short range of the mounted troops guns means that they are not terribly effective. However, the pair of galloper guns in Dashwood's company manage to get off a couple of canister shots before racing away into the fog during the harassment. They are able to develop the enemy position and mettle, and it seems that the Yankees at least have enough discipline to not wildly fire and maintain their dressing despite the close proximity of cavalry.

Under Major Pruitt's orders, the Jaegers hold fast, firing on the forces in front of them in a mutually ineffectual exchange. Picking his way around the end of the Union line, Pruitt has his Tar Heels fire a volley from their carbines and then charge in with their pistols. The charge has the decisive effect on one regiment, setting many of them to flight. However, the good major finds himself now entangled with not one, but two regiments, as the second regiment promptly countercharges into the confused melee, stalling the cavalry in the gloom.

With the sky brightening, the world goes from a gloomy black and grey to an equally disconcerting light grey and white, the dense fog on the ground giving a spectral view of the firefights and melees as they're occurring, men feeling a certain detachment from the familiarity of their sister units.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Quick note: you all can merge units if desired. I'd prefer the units to be roughly equivalent but if not i will default to the lower combat capacity.

Comment

• Finch wil inspect his new line, order Finch battalions rear rank to start digging some minimal defensive works in the short time they have, NCGG to lie down waiting for the enemy to come into view again.

Himself he will hang out in front of both, at the edge of visual range, to direct their fire and hoping to extend their fire range a bit in this manner or at least provide early warning of the enemy approach.

Edit, he'll change the axe he carried earlier in addition to his pistol for a sword since that may be more useful for pointing out the enemy in the mist
                                Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 Feb 19, 04:51.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X