No announcement yet.

Mercenaries: Swordsworn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I was thinking that light Chainmail was worn under the Bigandine Vest! I want good protection but the Rouncey can not bear a guy in full 15th Century armor for long. If the unit is traveling in Heat, they may not be wearing full armor. I was hoping for a Hauberk Shirt that goes down to mid thigh and a Brigandine Vest over it. A Tabard bearing the unit crest (an Auroch) would hide much or the torso. I am curious as to whether I can bring some guys riding ponies carrying extra Sheaths of arrows? Horse Archers need a supply of replacements.

On Dwarves, .I was thinking they would keep the shield on their back or the Battle axe? Dwarves have stamina but short legs and that means less foot speed. The Vikings used two handed axes, but the Irish learned to use the Danish Axe in one hand and a shield in the other. The Vikings wore more body armor so they could afford to use a two handed weapon, but there were still enough Vikings using shields to build a shield wall.

I just did a search and it appears Mail is worn under the Brigandine. My bad!
    Last edited by Pruitt; 16 Jul 18, 10:16.
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Bjorn Ironwood is in town for part of the day before meeting the villagers. He invites their representatives to join him at the winter camp of the Great Paw three days beyond the walls. Although alone and without a horse, the fine tabard on his massive frame combined with his seeming indifference to the cold are striking. And as if to point to martial prowress, a Damascus great sword rests casually across his back.

Contract 2.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Looking at Contract 1 and 5. I can't seem to locate Cipre in the Foret de Filandre. Is it marked? I expect contract 1 is trade convoy looting? In 5, who chooses the route taken?

Comment

Jolly Berserkers will proudly take Contract No. 3 (Border Control). We'll show any raiding party stupid enough to cross a bunch of Orcish warriors what we're made of. The employer should expect a fair amount of dead bodies in the wake of our path -- and oh, don't expect us to clean up the mess.
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Okay, not that I'm big on fantasy, I'll bite. But, before I do, a few questions:

What are "stonekin" and "flora?"

If you buy "Body Armor" is that the complete package rather than piecing their armor off the other lists?

Is there any bonus or negatives to the recruiting background? I take it others (within reason) can be substituted.

There's a considerable list of weapons many of which seem relatively similar. Could you indicate the relative effectiveness of these? I'm concerned whether paying more for one sort of sword over another or one type of spear over another would be worth the cost. It doesn't have to be exact, but if there's little difference I might not want to pay more for that.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Okay, not that I'm big on fantasy, I'll bite. But, before I do, a few questions:

What are "stonekin" and "flora?"

Flora are animate sentient plants. IIRC Stonekin are something in a similar vein towards rocks. Since you're not a big fantasy guy I don't think either would suit you very well IMHO.

If you buy "Body Armor" is that the complete package rather than piecing their armor off the other lists?

Most of the 'Body Armors' cover something pretty much from elbow to knee, though half plate and up add a bit here and there until you get to everything covered in plate.

Is there any bonus or negatives to the recruiting background? I take it others (within reason) can be substituted.

There's a considerable list of weapons many of which seem relatively similar. Could you indicate the relative effectiveness of these? I'm concerned whether paying more for one sort of sword over another or one type of spear over another would be worth the cost. It doesn't have to be exact, but if there's little difference I might not want to pay more for that.
              Some of them will probably have a slight bump here and there. The Longswords and such with regular and 'thrusting' in their name are set up more towards being able to cut and thrust, so better against more heavily armored opposition, while the regular versions will have more rounded tips and be more suited to slashing attacks. Against heavily armored troops you'd see a difference....against peasants you wouldn't.

My recommendation, since you're not big on fantasy, would be to go with human or one of the elf types, probably High Elves, and go with something more 'traditional' in format, like a block of halberdiers or pikemen with crossbow support for instance. There are pretty much endless variations, if you need some help shoot me a message and I can walk you through the purchase part of what you want.

Comment

On the edge of the Foret de Filandre, the Great Paw sets up camp. The forestry traditions are strong as the various Claws cut down saplings to ring their encampment with stakes, and clears out an area of trees, chopping their trunks into logs to build winter-walls for their tents. Traditionally leery of cities, only Bjorn and one or two others venture to the mercenary hold, leaving the remainder several days to prepare a winter camp they hope to return to for years to come.

As it is on their way home, Bjorn encourages the villagers (Contract 2) to join him at the camp. He also speaks with a golden-clad figure and invites him as well.

Comment

Fantasy of this sort is simply ancient warfare with the names changed. The only difference is with fantasy the weapons don't always follow historical capacity and the various races often have supra-human or other special characteristics.

I already have a unit in mind, I simply want to know some specifics before I finalize the design.

Comment

Since you did all the work already and no elves have been represented I will be the Galadhrim Wood Elves.

640?cb=20140329115228.jpg

Raising Companies

Name: Galadhrim

Race: Elven (Wood)

Racial Bonus: Bonus to accuracy for bows (not crossbows), forest aptitude.

Background: Ex-Militia (Capital Guards)

Terms of Employment: No sign-on bonus, 8 cr seasonal pay per man. All battlefield loot to the company treasury, all sack loot to mercenaries. Equipment supplied for all new recruits, owned by recruit after 1 year's service.

Preferred Doctrine: Close foot with archer support, shock cadre.

Equipment Choices:
                    1. 100-man platoon of heavy infantry with good quality glaives, hunting knives, tabard (fine), ring mail armour, reinforced leather boots, reinforced leather gloves, pot helm, brigandine vest.
                    2. 60-man platoon of archers with hunting knife, good quality longbow, tabard (fine), cloth armour, leather boots, leather gloves, leather helm, hardened leather vest.
                    3. 60-man platoon of archers with hunting knife, good quality longbow, tabard (fine), cloth armour, leather boots, leather gloves, leather helm, hardened leather vest.
                    4. 40-man platoon of shock infantry with 2x elven longswords, 3x small throwing knives, scale mail armour, leather boots, reinforced leather gloves, full helm (T).
                    Home Region: Thuar.
                    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      On the edge of the Foret de Filandre, the Great Paw sets up camp. The forestry traditions are strong as the various Claws cut down saplings to ring their encampment with stakes, and clears out an area of trees, chopping their trunks into logs to build winter-walls for their tents. Traditionally leery of cities, only Bjorn and one or two others venture to the mercenary hold, leaving the remainder several days to prepare a winter camp they hope to return to for years to come.

As it is on their way home, Bjorn encourages the villagers (Contract 2) to join him at the camp. He also speaks with a golden-clad figure and invites him as well.
                      Lady(ooc:if another title is appropriate please notify) Epicharissa comes from the central provinces of the Empire, descended from Feudal vassal lords of old, her father traced their lineage to the noble warrior houses that existed before vassal armies had been outlawed. While her surroundings were opulent and many contemporaries wallowed in decadence, Epicharissa trained with the militia and studied the old ways of her house. One night her father led her beneath the manse to a secretive alcove, theirn was the secret history of her forefathers. Centuries of valorous combat at the head of a blinding formation; The Golden Band.

With her family's blessing, she shed her noble ties beyond her title, and cut all connection with her family, forgoing any support, financial or political, henceforth. Taking her inheritance and the glorious banner of the Golden Band she set forth to remake her ancestors glory.

Finding recruits wasn't hard, while the nobility may be somewhat sheltered from the truth of the past by opulence, the commoners used the glory of that same past to help them through the day by day. In some of the hamlets near the capital, simply unfurling the banner was sufficient to bring in recruits, more recruits than it was possible to equip. After gathering the 50 strongest men and women she could to form the nucleus of a new Golden Band, Epicharissa began creating three more bannerettes under the name of the Silver Band. With her inheritance being drained at breakneck speed by the equipment costs for recruits, Epicharissa founded a third group of bannerettes, the Green Band.

After weeks of travel Epicharissa's Bands were encamped near Saetal, neat lines of tents with a row of stakes surrounding. Epicharissa and a few members of the Golden Band set out to find a contract, Epciharissa's inheritance was nearly gone, the Band needs a contract. While eyeing up one group of petitioners Epicharissa encounters a rather large, extremely hairy man with a very fine sword. A man of few words, he invites Epicharissa to a meeting with a promising contract, it is an invitation Epicharissa feels she cannot refuse.
                      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        Looking at Contract 1 and 5. I can't seem to locate Cipre in the Foret de Filandre. Is it marked? I expect contract 1 is trade convoy looting? In 5, who chooses the route taken?
                        Anybody?

Comment

Welcoming the Lady Epicharissa and the villagers of Cipre into his camp, Bjorn has his men set out what he would consider a light refreshment of meat and bread. "Gentles, we will accept your contract to hunt this bandit-king and end his reign of terror along your roads. As you can see, the Lady Epicharissa and her band nigh four hundred strong are with us, and the Great Paw is of itself capable to do what needs be done." Around the camp some of the large men, a few more than four cubits tall and over twenty five stone, work shirtless in the chill, hewing logs to make walls for what will be a warriors hall, while others train in lists with the great sword and great axe, grunting with exertions as the large blades hum through the late autumn air. "With luck out quarry will not be scarce, and we might destroy him in such a manner as to both deter future depredations and restore confidence amongst traders to and fro your home." He raises a tankard of mead in toast to their new employers and allies "May our claws strike deep!"

Sitting down, the warrior calmly considers the situation. "What can you tell me of this bandit king? His weapons, His tactics? Does he attack without warning or demand payment for passage first? How many warriors have been seen under his banner? My people are one with the forests and hills, and the dark of the wood is a comforting place for us rather than a confusing tangle. Will this so-called king come forth to fight, or will he skulk and force us to track him like a roe deer through the trees?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            Here I was thinking that light Chainmail was worn under the Bigandine Vest! I want good protection but the Rouncey can not bear a guy in full 15th Century armor for long. If the unit is traveling in Heat, they may not be wearing full armor. I was hoping for a Hauberk Shirt that goes down to mid thigh and a Brigandine Vest over it. A Tabard bearing the unit crest (an Auroch) would hide much or the torso. I am curious as to whether I can bring some guys riding ponies carrying extra Sheaths of arrows? Horse Archers need a supply of replacements.
                            Pruitt - I replaced the 190cr brigandine armour on your heavy cavalry with a 54cr brigandine cuirass, which brings your spend down to 40800 cr. You can certainly hire some unarmed or lightly armed riders to carry extra bundles of arrows, or alternatively keep spare arrows with your abstracted supply wagons.

Pruitt - Cipre is not marked in this case, so I supplied the extra location information. It's too small a town to be marked on the empire map, and contract funds have been raised from most of the wealthy folk of the town.

On investigation, the Concordat agents for Contract 1 advise that they would like their mercenaries to act against the town authorities rather than against other merchants or civilians generally. One way to do this would be to operate against Skirpan's institutions and militia; they would prefer no permanent damage to the city, they simply want the city council forced to waive all tariffs on South Seas shipments through the city area.

In 5, the route taken is not important to the expedition. There are logical routes to take (I'm abstracting the landscape between the two locations except for anywhere that combat happens, specific terrain types can be prioritized or avoided as much as is readily available. The expedition involves a large number of wagons.) and less logical routes, but it is the destination that is most important.

@TAG - Good to have your interest!

Stonekin are mountain-folk with a thick and rugged grey hide which can be used for camouflage in some rocky environments (also counts as leather armour). They are naturally skirmishers rather than close formation fighters, living for up to three centuries and having a low birth rate. They are an average of 5' in height.

Flora are similar to dryads in classical fantasy, descendants of animate plantlife in the royal gardens of the old (fallen) kingdom of the high elves. They photosynthesize and derive nutrients from the soil, taking root for at least four hours per day (eight is better). They bear colourful blooms along their limbs and have a high forest aptitude but no mysterious magical powers over plants.

"Body Armour" covers from elbow to knee in most cases; it doesn't take the place of boots or gloves or helmets. A common pairing is lighter body armour with heavier torso armour.

Recruiting Background does have minor bonuses and (hypothetically) maluses, mostly in terms of incidental knowledge and talents. Frtigern's Galadhrim are ex-Militia, (which gives a minor experience bonus to close formations and route marching), while the Great Paw have a Forester background which gives them a small survival and tracking bonus in the Empire's extensive forests.

On the extensive gear list, added expense isn't always a direct reflection on weapon capability. The Elven Longsword is longer and lighter than its human equivalent, and while superior in most instances isn't twice as effective. I'm happy to respond on relative effectiveness for any gear you're specifically looking at, though I'd prefer not to do this for the entire list.

Contract Application Status (None confirmed)

2. Great Paw/Golden Band joint tender (division of payment if accepted?)
                            3. Jolly Berserkers
                            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Looking at contract 5.

I will add 25 Javelin Cavalry. I figure them to be 343 cr per. This will take me up 48575cr!
                              Rouncey (270c)
                              Saber ( 30c)
                              Dagger/Small Knife (3c)
                              Javelin (3X1.5c= 4.5c)
                              Light Leather Armor (16c)
                              Tabard (4c)
                              Soft Leather Boots (7c)
                              Conical Helm (8.5c)
                              These will function as Scouts and will run back and forth to Supply Wagons to bring more Arrow Sheaths. All Horsemen are Herders (familiar with Horses, good at quiet killing)

Captain Pruitt

Comment

The Galadhrim (Wood Elves) will take the 4th contract for a punitive expedition against the Orcs, our nemesis.

Captain FrŽanor
                                The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X