Battle of Five Interest Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Five Interest Checks

As you may gather, Looking for a game to start in a month or two; most likely not before at least one of the current Rainbow-model episodes comes to a close. Three active games seems like a good number for our player community and I don’t want to push things. I’ve laid groundwork for each of these ideas already, so it’s simply a question of which one people would be most interested in playing out once I fill in the last details.

Please vote for any and all that you would be interested in playing in; I will develop the highest-voted game as and when time allows, and look to launch it if we have at least 4 interested players.

French and Indian War (Historical)

Since the seventeenth century, the historical enmity between France and England has realised itself again and again in the increasingly bitter fighting between their colonists in the New World. By 1750 there were close to a million British colonists among the Thirteen Colonies, while the European population of New France was only around eighty thousand. With their close trading ties to many local Indian tribes, the French set out to curtail the British settlers’ inland expansion, with a mixture of forts and patrols spanning the wilderness. While both nations remained at peace, a growing number of native raids on isolated colonial settlements spurred growing outrage. Less than a decade since the end of King George’s War, the British and their North American Colonies were ready to put an end to French pretensions in Canada once and for all.

OOC: Starting in 1755, the players would take on the roles of various British and Colonial officers for firstly, an annual strategic war council deciding on offensives and allocation of military assets, and secondly tactical leadership roles in the 1-2 most interesting or pivotal battles of the year. The French would be environmental/Git-driven, and the players would be able to wear different hats over the course of the game.

Napoleonic Wars: Atlantean Campaign, 1807 (Alt-Historical)

En route back to Europe in 1805, Villeneuve’s French Squadron discovered an unexpected island continent in the mid-Atlantic populated by a disadvantaged nation who spoke ancient Greek. In need of modern resources and technological uplift, the Kingdom of Atlantis signed a treaty with the Empereur and joined the Imperial camp. Initially the Royal Navy simply extended their blockade to the new ports, but after a shocking intelligence report in early 1807 the Grenville Administration organized a Coalition army to invade the island and put an end to their naval programs. British, Colonial, Prussian, Russian and Swedish elements set sail to deal with the French and their native allies. The Royal Navy’s supremacy on the high seas could not be endangered, lest England herself fall vulnerable to Napoleon’s Grande Armee.

OOC: Starting in early 1807, the players would take on Corps commands of the Coalition Expeditionary Army (with some of the smaller elements such as the Prussian and Swedish Corps possibly coming under the same player) for Napoleonic land warfare far enough from Continental Europe that both sides mostly need to rely on their local forces rather than counting on external reinforcements or support. Once again this would be player-vs-environment/Git rather than an organised Opfor with parallel fog of war.

Mercenaries: Swordsworn (Low-Magic Fantasy)

In an Empire historically wracked by civil war, imperial law and regulation now tightly binds the number and use of standing armies. Ambitious men and women – nobles and merchants alike – looking to exert martial influence instead hire mercenaries, trained bands of fighters who fight for coin rather than country. As the Empire’s powerful grow used to pursuing their goals more directly, it becomes a lucrative market for aspiring mercenary commanders to seek fame, fortune and (under the right circumstances) lasting power.

OOC: More of a sandbox game – there is a background metaplot, as well as a number of localised subplots. I have some maps set aside for this as well. The players would each be mercenary commanders of their own bands, generally friendly competitors although there may be occasional situations where multiple commanders can work the same contract together or be rivals between two or more paymasters. For those of you who might have played Tac’s Mercenaries Sci-Fi game, this is my alt-world answer to that. Magic is generally ritual only; this is not about slinging spells at one another.

Projekt Luna (Modern/Near-Future Space)

Our world’s second space race is well underway with the rush to develop and exploit space within the solar system led by a mixture of government space agencies and private companies with a myriad of goals and objectives both scientific and commercial. Taking on the role of rival space organisations with varied focuses, player factions will cooperate and compete in their goals as their directors see fit. As Earth’s resources become ever more scarce, who will champion humanity’s future among the stars? Maybe humanity’s first offworld colonies will be organised under your authority?

OOC: Players can work together In either small groups or individually for each player faction (of varying types), managing the budget, resources, assets, staff and contracts of your space agency. Not expected to be a directly military game, with more indirect conflict around exploration and staking claims on important resources and locations. Managed to get a key He3 refinery in place that another faction purchases regularly to fuel their ships heading outsystem? You can probably name your price… but get too ambitious and they may start looking at the feasibility of getting combat-trained astronauts out there to take it for themselves. And once space starts getting militarized, where will it end?

Star Wars: Erebus Sector (Sci-Fi Space Naval)

In the final years of the Clone Wars, a Republic Fleet with capital ship, starfighter and Grand Army assets was sent to secure the Erebus sub-sector from the Secessionist holdouts. While larger battlefleets blazed at one another over Sullust and Mon Cala, Twelfth Fleet would conduct its campaign largely free of Jedi supervision. Once the war was over, they would likely be responsible for the control and garrison of the sector until the locals could be safely and democratically brought back into the Republic.

OOC: Obviously things won’t go quite according to plan – the first Arc would take the players to the end of the Clone War, while the second and third would cover campaigns in Imperial service prior to the birth of the Rebellion proper. The players would take on the roles of fleet, starfighter and army commands (minimum three players) across a number of worlds and battlezones, while the varied opposition would be run through an informal environment/git arrangement. If we’re still going strong at the fourth arc, this would be where the players need to decide en masse whether they want to defect to the Rebellion.
    French and Indian War (Historical)
    25.00%
    Napoleonic Wars: Atlantean Campaign, 1807 (Alt-Historical)
    12.50%
    Mercenaries: Swordsworn (Low-Magic Fantasy)
    62.50%
    Projekt Luna (Modern/Near-Future Space)
    25.00%
    Star Wars: Erebus Sector (Sci-Fi Space Naval)
    37.50%
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

You've jumped my gun! I guess this gives me more time to plan out my game, I look forward to whatever we decide upon pursuing.
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
      You've jumped my gun! I guess this gives me more time to plan out my game, I look forward to whatever we decide upon pursuing.
      Not necessarily; I wasn't expecting Battletech to go on hiatus today, so I'm definitely open to holding off launching mine if you have an idea you already know you'd like to run with.

What did you have in mind?

Comment

Slightly Alt history rainbow, set in WW2 Norway, a sort of partisan liberation campagin

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
          Slightly Alt history rainbow, set in WW2 Norway, a sort of partisan liberation campagin
          Sounds interesting.

Would it be ready to go in the next few days, or would you prefer longer to plan things?

Comment

I voted for three of the proposals, but please remember me for any new game.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              I voted for three of the proposals, but please remember me for any new game.

Pruitt
              Will do, Mr P!

I have your interest in the French and Indian and Napoleonic wars - which was your third vote, for my reference?

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post

Sounds interesting.

Would it be ready to go in the next few days, or would you prefer longer to plan things?
                I was intending to wait for after the apotheosis of ACW chap 5. I'll give my game a month, and look forward to whatever is chosen for yours!

Comment

1. French and Indian Wars
                  2. Napoleonic
                  3. Mercenaries

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

After participating in, and running a number of tactical level games, I'm partial to Swordsworn at the moment, just for the more fantastic setting and really small scale. After all, when 8 of you have battalions.....the GM is playing a wargame with brigades lol.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Agreed with Tac, something small scale would be fun so I voted for Swordsworn. But I have a weak spot for Clone Wars, so vote for that too.
                      From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
                      Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                      "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

I give you an A+ for not giving up on starting new wargames despite having abandoned few of them in the past.

I am genuinely interested in small scale game like Swordsmen. I am also fascinated by sci-fi concept and how it would work with a forum-based wargame.

Sign me up!
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

It’s frustrating to me (and to my players I know) when circumstances force me to abandon a game. I’ve promised myself not to start another more than once, but realistically each time it helps me to better understand what I need to know and plan going in to avoid it happening again.

A big one is to preplan as much information as I can, and build the tools I need to update easily while I have the extra time and don’t have any pressure to update.

Based on voting (and including the extra vote from Pruitt) Swordsworn is currently ahead with 5 votes and so I’m working on developing the company setup and economies.

I have the setting, the equipment list (or at least 150 available options - I may add more), maps and a rough arc for the metaplot prepared already.

Comment

If you need any help K I know myself and Tac will be down for you to bounce ideas off.

Comment

I look forward to Roflstomping vast numbers of you, erm, nondescript NPC badguys.

Yeah, that came out ok, they'll never notice the slip....
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X