No announcement yet.

Task Force Regenbogen, Episode One....Moving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 8 gunships and 10 Transports. Just to repeat, the schedule for delivering them is:
    Day 1- two Gunships
    Day 3- four transports, 4 dismount teams
    Day 5- two transports and 2 dismount teams

Day 8- two gunships plus?

I would ask for the rest of my gunships flown in and then the rest of my transports and dismount teams. On Day three fly my two Heavy Weapons teams in with weapons and some reloads. Four Recon Dismount Teams will do me until the other four fly in.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Does that mean you're reporting the airfield open for business by 0300 local time on the same day you lift off from the Atoll (bloody timezones)? D1/1400 on the mission clock? Or D2/1400?
      We'll go D1/1400(atoll), landings to commence D1/1000 (local) onwards. I'll keep control of the C-130s for now, though their schedule is going to operate around a three day round trip (I'm assuming I have the flight crew to operate in shifts?)

Day 3
      92 men, 2x Valisek, Spoof radar setup

Day 6
      4x 105mm

Day 9
      "Amazing" Portable Mess, Mobile Hospital
      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Fair enough - though I will urge local elements to use minimal food, supplies and ammunition. While SSOW and Hotel California are focusing on bringing formations in-theatre, we'll be operating on a logistical shoestring.

My light Cessnas are open to shuttle in takeout from Malawi, since that's apparently a cost effective local option (22c per main meal) until main ops begin and they are needed to support the task force in the open.
        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

June 23rd.....

Deep in the night, a pair of C130s flying blacked-out over the Congo reach their DZ. The pilots observe that there are scattered thunderstorms about as they make their approach over the lake and then start their turns for the drop. 40 former NZSAS stand up and walk off the ramp into the night, oxygen masks in place as they jump in high and angle their way down to the target, a dirt strip bush airfield in the middle of nowhere.

Right around midnight, local time, the paras make landfall. Scanning the DZ they observe a few cattle. Knowing that the heavy equipment is about to come in, Hotel California moves quickly to the bush and locates several Bantu tribesmen who are out watching the cattle. One busts off into the brush too quickly for the paras to give chase, though a few hasty rounds are fired, while the other three surrender to the camouflaged men who appear around their camp.

The muffled thumps of parachuting vehicles land on the airstrip. After some bitching it's discovered that one of the Avenger humvees has broken a shock in the landing, and while it's limped to its position, it won't be in any condition to drive very far until repairs are made. With their primary mission completed, radio call is made to the lone circling Herky-Bird that the airfield is seized and there's no resistance, prompting her to depart for fuel since emergency extract will not be necessary.

The "Calis" maintain a close perimeter around the airstrip until dawn, when the whine of jet engines can be heard and the four F-5s and two Jaguars of the Flying Circus start circling the rough but FOD cleared airstrip and land. Pilots get out of their planes and with the help of the one functional humvee park their birds in the semi-cleared terrain near the ersatz flight line. Colonel Heinz mentions to the SAS that they saw a line of thunderstorms moving in as they made their approach.

Meanwhile, the first of Silver Star's heavies starts to come in, Russian pilots very familiar with the nightmares of landing on dirt strips in large planes. First to unload is the Battalion Headquarters for Eurocorps, and as soon as that bird taxis, the next comes in with Cobra Command's two gunships, followed immediately by a pair of air cavalry gunships as well. With everyone pitching in, the IL76s take back off in record time considering the circumstances. They have to, as four more birds are orbiting, bringing in maintenance personnel, ordnance, and other necessities to make this FOB a viable concern.

Unfortunately, one of the big birds has a stroke of bad luck, and upon landing strikes a cow that has wandered into the perimeter. Damage to the front landing gear is moderate but needs to be repaired before she can make a run down the rough strip for takeoff. But the other birds get out, and now on the ground there is:

Initial Wave of Hotel California
          Eurocorps Battalion HQ unit
          Cobra Command helicopters
          Flying Circus Fighter-bombers
          PAC 2 x Gunships
          SSOW Cessnas and Hawkeye plus mobile shop.

As the afternoon drags on and men assemble tents and spread protective tarps over sensitive kit, a small party of Bantu tribesmen approach the perimeter. Led by an older tribesman, the party demands to know who you are and why you've scattered their cattle hither and yon. Apparently there's a village not far away.....

While you're speaking to them, the winds start to pick up, and that line of storms rolls in, with intermittent lightning and downpours. Tarps are put up at the worksite as maintenance techs slave away to get the IL76 back in service, but some of the pilots from SSOW and Flying Circus eye the quickly dampening ground with concerns that takeoffs and landings could get very chancy indeed on the dirt strip if this keeps up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zx...HN&usp=sharing
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Colonel Francois, at least that is what he calls himself, exists his command VAB to allow his staff to start sorting out the maps and such. Few of his already landed personnel are hurrying around the vehicles, spreading camouflage nets or setting up the first aid station. Pulling up his sleeves and adjusting his plate carrier, he observes the situation at ground before stepping inside the Bromure.

"Monitor the airwaves, if you find anything report to me immediately and then jam the signal. We don't want them to know that we are here yet".

The weather is going to be a problem for us, bet we should be okay for day or two. If the rain continues, we can probably drop supplies with parachutes.

Regarding Bantu, we should pay for the cow and release the captured tribesmen. We must be as neutral as possible.
            Crimson's Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG Chapter Two --- Carlisle
            Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
            Colonel Abraham Bates, Rainbow Brigade
            "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

OOC: Tac, I got to ask you a question, how did you find this Mesa FOB? You must spent few hours poring over every mile square of Congo's territory to come up with some good FOB suggestions. I've been looking over this area, in real life, I don't see any sign of human life for miles around it. No visible road at all aside from that single strip of dirty roadway. It's built on a ridge overlooking the river. The river runs downstream to Lake Mweru, which shares the border with Zaire. It's almost as if it's a perfect base for military purposes (well suited for helicopter or light aircraft squadrons) in real life. It's not far from Zaire's border, so I do wonder if it was used during one of Congo's few conflicts. However, it's going to be a chore bringing in supplies, as I think that will be mostly by airlift. This game is going to be one very interesting and challenging to play. Thanks for making it tough!
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Give the locals some presents as well. We only have one chance to create a good image. Heck, BUY as many of the cows as they will sell and overpay!

Pruitt

Comment

Actually....Khryses found it. It probably is or was a bush airstrip back during the colonial days, no way you get such a perfectly straight piece of clearing by accident.

As for the 'village' if you zoom in you'll see where there are some very faint lines that look like cart paths or poor roads. Tribes in this part don't really have or need a whole lot of infrastructure, so it's realistic that a village could be there amongst the trees. But yes, this would be a perfect base for a helicopter-based force, kind of reminds me of how some of our bases in 'Nam looked to be honest.

Comment

Back to the game:

As soon everything is set up and secure from the elements of weather and hostile forces, I'd like Cobras to be inspected thoroughly and repair anything that was loose or broken during the trip to Mesa FOB. Man, I'm dying to use Cobras to hit some targets. They're not meant to be sitting idle. Need to wait for the ordnance delivery to arrive as well, then start the work on getting them armed to teeth.
                    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                      Back to the game:

As soon everything is set up and secure from the elements of weather and hostile forces, I'd like Cobras to be inspected thoroughly and repair anything that was loose or broken during the trip to Mesa FOB. Man, I'm dying to use Cobras to hit some targets. They're not meant to be sitting idle. Need to wait for the ordnance delivery to arrive as well, then start the work on getting them armed to teeth.

Your ordnance load is on the ground now commander, touching down shortly after 1100 local time. I believe that means you have two full mission loads at the FOB - a bonus for having a highly portable formation (as well as tipping your delivery service).
                      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Well, seems we need to get to work on improving the drainage. Sadly it seems we won't be able to get any trucks up here. As for treating the locals, I agree fully with Pruitt, we need to compensate these chaps, apologies for the inconvenience and suggest they get a move on. We might want to check out the town to the south-east of the Mesa as well.

Once we have some improvised drainage on the airfield strips I'd like for the Paras to form the perimeter I outlined in my map, along with two fire-teams on the ridges to the north and east. I figure the only thing that can dislodge us at this point is a fairly hefty assault and I want to be able to head them off by picking off lead elements with a ATGM. If any aircraft approach ROE is to buzz them with targeting radar but not to fire unless fired upon. We don't have enough intel to start shooting yet.

Cheetah, I hate to say it, but we might have to keep those Cobras under wraps for now, they're our most powerful asset and, depending on the op, could probably do all the work we need to do on their own, with support of course. We don't want to give them away yet I think.
                        Last edited by Dashy; 23 Jun 18, 21:44.
                        Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Day 3 we will have my two heavy weapon dismount teams on the ground. That gives us two Carl Gustav Recoilless Rifle Teams and a Javelin Team and a Matador Team. They can help defend the base until some of those APC's get here. We can use my two Recon Teams to do some sneak and peek ops. If the locals sell us some beef, we can have a barbecue in the evening. It may be a while before we eat steak again. MRE's and French Rations get tiresome after a a while.

Pruitt

Comment

I aim to update on Wednesday Morning or so since there's no combat going on at the moment.

Comment

Cobra Team accepts Dashy's recommendation that we keep Cobras under wraps for now. However, I'd like to inspect Cobras for any necessary repair and have them ready to move out under wraps at a moment's notice.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

June 24th......

Intermittent storms have popped up until nearly 0300hrs, finally abating into a foggy morning. After paying for the cow out of petty cash (read personal wallets) and strongly suggesting that the locals avoid the strip for the time being, everyone has managed to rotate through some sleep. Colonel Francois gets word that his ELINT guys were able to pick up signal from a short phone conversation from the direction of the Village (noted on map), maybe 2-3 minutes worth of talk in language that no one on hand knows.

Dawn breaks to a relatively uncomfortable humidity and a heavy dew and mist in the air. The austere nature of the FOB means that for the moment there are no solid instrument approaches, and the C130 from SSOW circles for a half hour in the low visibility before returning to Nairobi. It's finally able to land and unload the JP8 scheduled for 0300hrs at 1000hrs, slipping a lot of its timelines and putting the aircrew in dire need of rest once they return to Nairobi for their next load of fuel. On the bright side, the pointlessness of getting the C182 up and running quickly means that the shop is able to get all hands to work on IL76E, and while it takes all day, the bird very shakily gets airborne and wings its way for home though it winds up on the ground at Singapore with hydraulic problems related to the damage.

Throughout the day Hotel California does roving patrols and develops its small fixed positions. As they expand the perimeter, they observe what appears to be fresh sign in two places, showing movement of a number of people, but nothing more is obvious to them. It would seem that a group moved by during the night or morning in the direction of the Bantu village, but nothing more is known.

The other units perform maintenance and otherwise wait for the weather to clear somewhat. Finally, SSOWs C130A lands, delivering more fuel, and hours late due to the weather issues gets its safety stand down and crew rest at 2000hrs. The weather is still muggy and miserable, with occasional distant thunder heralding the possibility of more pop-up storms during the night.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X