Task Force Regenbogen, Episode One....Moving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Task Force Regenbogen, Episode One....Moving

At the Atoll base equipment and men equally pile up as the various units of Task Force Regenbogen form. From a large number of little birds and light armored vehicles, to the lift assets of Silver Star, the Cobras, the eclectic mix of men, vehicles, and planes, and a small number of fast movers which keep to themselves at the end of the runway with their own hangar.....

Then Regenbogen receives a message.

Mission Brief:

Travel to the Area of Operations as noted in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Capture or develop basing facilities within 150mi of the point denoted. Client has further operations to be performed over the next several weeks to months.

Situational notes: Ongoing conflict which has included attacks on UN peacekeepers by militias. Locals may or may not be neutral to the conflict depending on the village. Large numbers of displaced persons in the region. Governmental Forces are to be presumed to be hostile to your activities but are unlikely to operate in force against you.

And there you have it. Quite the flight really......getting from your base to whatever you choose to be your new FOB. Nope....not a challenge at all......

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zx...HN&usp=sharing
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Welp, Here are the possible locations Dashwood has identified as being potentially viable as FOBs. We need a landing strip to get the big planes down on, though some of the SIlver Star lift assets can go rough.

Kalemie looks like the best place to set down, however it might trigger a response from the locals, will be *very* obvious and might be hard to defend, especially being so close to a lake. I'm confident my "Hotel California" crew can set up a solid perimeter and defenses but we might need to strike a deal with the town.

Map
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Access to the map has been denied? I sent in my request for access.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Yeah, I think it has to do with permissions....

Comment

And note, SSOW can do rough field with everything.

Comment

From what I have read about Foreign Intervention in the Congo, the locals do not interfere with Mercs. It is the insurgents that are the problem. They are seldom local and don't care if the locals are blown up! We just need boots on the ground to protect a base.

Pruitt

Comment

That is something I can do. I have the men required to secure the base.
              Crimson's Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG Chapter Two --- Carlisle
              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
              Colonel Abraham Bates, Rainbow Brigade
              Angrim One-Eye, Yellow Company
              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Zaire has 284 airports. We will be going into Katanga Province. My bet is several Mining Companies will have landing strips. Now if I can get permission to view the map, maybe I can narrow down the options?

Pruitt

Comment

You can see the main map I posted without needing additional permissions.

Comment

Wow....that's far away! Do we even have naval transportation capacity? It'd be a lot easier than flying everything out because we'd need aerial refueling capacity.

Do we have a good working relationship with Tanzania? If we can move through her territory, that makes our task a bit easier as we only need to negotiate the right of passage with one nation instead of multiple nations. That helps with operational security as well. Less talking heads make our task easier to hide and move about more freely.

Make the first stop at Kigoma, Tanzania. That's where we can offload our equipment and either fly them out or acquire river boats to move everything to the other side.

The way I see it, we have two choices -- we can use Kalemie, or Moba (close to Kirungu). Kalemie is a lot closer to the operational region, while Moba is a good distance away. I think most of you want to use Kalemie as a FOB, so we can work with that. After that, we can try to use Niemba as another FOB to control the both ends of road to and from Kalemie.

I need to check other map sources to see if the area we're landing in is helicopter friendly area. What I meant by that is for Cobras to flourish, the area needs to be blacked out -- no light illumination, there's terrain that I can use to fly close to the ground and use it as a shield against radar tracking, though I don't know if Congolese forces have radar capabilities. I prefer my Cobras to work in dark, giving them an element of surprise and total control of sky with superior night vision technology. Harder for enemy to track and strike back at aerial assets.

If we have to strike back in daylight, then I'm going to need land assets to clear the way for my Cobras to do dirty work.

Finally, we need to create an ad hoc intelligence network inside Congo to get some actionable intelligence and eyes on the operational region.
                    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I used Google Map and enlarged the map as far as it would go. There is nothing there to see. It is possible that something near the marker is the actual destination. This is scrubland.

Pruitt

Comment

Answers:

1) The Client is not willing to make the exposure necessary to procure favors from any of the neighboring countries. While commercial aircraft can obviously use commercial airports, moving large numbers of military personnel or equipment will attract attention officially from those nations.

2) As noted, commercial aircraft operating are a common sight worldwide, and won't have any problems with airports for fueling and such. However, most countries have customs issues with military equipment moving about on their land.

3) The client will make some quiet efforts to suppress Congolese complaints internationally if they occur.

4) The client does not acknowledge your operation, neither does any international organization or country.

5) There have been some provisions made with reference to your fixed wing combat aircraft to allow them to approach the area, but the client is dead set against any potential situation where a neighboring country knows about or has record of their presence.

6) The client is not risking further assets at this time. Prove you can get into the region successfully and without creating a major international incident, and the client will have further information for you.

Pruitt's question:

The marker simply denotes the area where the client would like you to be for further operations. It's a region with a 150 mile radius, not a specific location.

Comment

Sounds like we have to move out equipment and troops piecemeal and in concealed manner. Could we set up a dummy company with forged papers to move equipment (a freight company that's capable of shipping and airlift) around and fly our men in civvies on commercial airline? It's going to be a tough task to conceal our aerial assets.

I think we can move small arms equipment and people without too much difficulty if you know right people who's talented at smuggling materials or people. Cobras and vehicles are a different beast altogether.

If we can't do that, then a small scout team with aerial experts will have to first fly in and look for suitable area in country where our cargo aircraft can fly and land covertly in darkness. It's going to be a major headache trying to synchronize the timing of flying in men and equipment without many people knowing about it.

Okay, I think we have to get the scout team in first. Once you get the layout of the area, then we can fly in bigger equipment like Cobras and lightly armored vehicles.
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

You have dummy papers and such, so hopping from airfield to airfield for fuel isn't a big deal for your transports, all types are relatively common. Your issue is that when you open those cargo bay doors it's obvious as hell what you have on board. I'm sure your fixed wing air can find some work around for their needs since they've been banned by the client from using neighboring states.

Also, Hotel California (Dashy) might just have the necessary setup for airfield seizure operations. But Silver Star Omnilift Wing has some assets that are a bit smaller for shorter-ranged insertions if need be.

The client has been very specific about not creating an international incident elsewhere, which sort of precludes landing an army in a neighboring country since most countries get a bit bent about such things. But there are some creative possibilities and even possibilities without being creative.

Comment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j6...iyxlU62rx11_gz

I've drawn up a seizure plan for the Airfield, however I would appreciate it if we could have a few planeloads of backup coming in shortly after, perhaps a Cobra and part of Sen's Eurocorps.

The plan would, ideally, be executed as follows;

0200- "Green Leader" style broadcast to the control tower at Kalemie airport, ask that they evacuate all personnel from the airport. Given the airport only operates during the day for two flights this will hopefully not be an excessive amount of personnel. Demand that all armed personnel on site disarm.

0220- 40 Paratroops, 2x "Dashy Mod" Humvees, 2x Valisek Mortars and 1x Machbet drop, aiming for the LZ indicated on the map. Upon landing Vehicles are to be prioritized, once operational they will provide overwatch while the Paratroops clear main airfield buildings. Any unarmed personnel will be frisked and zip-tied, pending release when more friendlies are available, Armed personnel to be challenged and shot if they do not comply with demands to disarm.

0240- Buildings cleared, Valisek battery set up and Vehicles in position. Ideally this is when Silver Star will begin landing the "second wave"

0300- Perimeter established. Organise a parley with the local authorities and Naval Base.

*Note- Map link seems iffy, will post a screenshot for now.
                              Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X