Interest Thread, Task Force Regenbogen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest Thread, Task Force Regenbogen

In the drawdown from so many wars in the latter 20th and early part of the 21st Century, you and a number of fellow officers and staff enlisted have found yourselves either surplused to requirements or disgusted with what you see as 'garrison' life after years or decades on a war footing. You're approached by individuals and are flown out to an unknown location that appears to be an island or atoll which has a runway and a suspiciously modern S-300 missile system present, along with some land-based Phalanx guns, the combination somewhat confusing.

Once inside a nondescript bunker, you enter a well-appointed conference room and meet with a person who only wants to be known as "The Benefactor". She advises you:

"Over the years we have had a dearth of truly deniable assets with effective skills. While there are private contractors that are somewhat deniable, most have corporate offices and locations these days, along with long term contracts, security arrangements and so forth. I've brought you together to form what will be known internally as "Task Force Rainbow" and externally as nothing. To the outside world not in the know, you'll be ghosts. They might see what you do on the 6 o'clock news, but they won't know who you are. There will be no special ops mission by a major power if you're captured, and if you're killed you'll die anonymously."

Once you all get over your incredulity, she continues "What you will be is well funded. My associates are putting together the funding and resources as we speak to build your organization. You'll receive taskings, which you will have varying levels of freedom to accomplish and somewhat looser rules of engagement than you're probably accustomed to. You'll be personally well paid, and funds will be maintained from your mission payouts to help cover losses.....you're still a contractor, you won't have the funding of a national military to endlessly replace kit and men. You will also be free to build your respective elements within the task force to some degree, and you will have a wide range of equipment to do so as well as no hard guidance so long as your task force is capable of doing the jobs."

Listening to her talk, she sounds American, but with occasional British pronunciations. There's a Russian SAM system outside. And the name she said is German, so there's no way of telling who your Benefactor/Controller actually works for....CIA? MI5? Someone else?

She lays folders out in front of you detailing the requirements.

Task Force Rainbow will require a minimum of:

Task Force Command (also in charge of transportation and special assets)

Ground Force Command (A single ground unit that could vary from a special ops team to a mechanized or armor platoon)

Air Force Command (A flight of a single air unit type)

Additional Ground and Air Commands can be built (extra players), as well as specialty units divided off of the Task Force Commander's duties (logistical, AEW&C, other special capabilities).

OOC: Looking for this game to be starting in a couple of months, mid-June at the absolute earliest. I am still committed to Rainbow Brigade and will take this at a slower pace in order to maintain my commitment there and to Crimson's Rainbow. For those who might have played my ISIS game in the past, this is a 2.0 variant of that, with changes to hopefully streamline things and make it easier from a player and GM standpoint. Minimum will be 3 players, maximum probably around 7. This will be a player-vs-environment/git game, rather than having a dedicated Opfor that I have to equally game with and keep in the dark.

So....Interest?
    Last edited by TacCovert4; 24 May 18, 19:52.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Count me in.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well, I have a git player lined up.

As far as this goes, three players is minimum, four or maybe five would be about ideal, giving plenty of assets either air, ground, or specialty.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm interested, but this looks like it's for players who have technical knowledge of military assets and logistics. I wouldn't know where to start with forming a unit that meets the mission parameters. I assume this game would be managed on small scale, kind of like both Crimson's Rainbow and Rainbow ACW. Managing a single unit seems best suited to my playing style.
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          Sounds good. I'm interested, but this looks like it's for players who have technical knowledge of military assets and logistics. I wouldn't know where to start with forming a unit that meets the mission parameters. I assume this game would be managed on small scale, kind of like both Crimson's Rainbow and Rainbow ACW. Managing a single unit seems best suited to my playing style.
          Really won't be that difficult, and it's something I can walk you through

Comment

I have received interest in running the logistics side, which while typically non-combat-ish can be one of the more complex bits. With that handled, only two players are required for combat commands and anyone else is gravy.....

Comment

Update on interest:

I have a logistics player, a support player (with a very nifty and useful support role), an aviation (CAS) player, and a ground forces player. Definitely still have availability for another Air player (especially if you have designs on fixed wing aviation of sorts), or ground player.

Comment

Tac has managed to rustle me out of retirement for this one, should be a blast. I'll be running some arty, AA and medical for you lot.

Also what in the blazes happened to the forum UI?
                Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

I am trying to get a handle on a TOE. I would like a Mechanized Infantry Platoon with several support vehicles. I am looking hard at my old FFL platoon plus. What are the limitations? If we are supposed to be Air Landing, that would eliminate most heavy armored cars and well protected IFV's.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

This is great. I'm setting up an attack helicopter squad. We should have some interesting games ahead in a month or so!
                    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I am trying to get a handle on a TOE. I would like a Mechanized Infantry Platoon with several support vehicles. I am looking hard at my old FFL platoon plus. What are the limitations? If we are supposed to be Air Landing, that would eliminate most heavy armored cars and well protected IFV's.

Pruitt
                      The way I understand it we will have a wide range of locations to go to and largely be responsible for our companies own transport. I think we need some heavier sea based transport, we've already got 4-5 heavy lifters. I suspect we'll need some heavier machinery to help with offensive operations.

My little group is designed to take an airfield or area suitable to operate our air assets out of and lock it down while providing fire and AA support. So to get them in I have two C130s kitted out for air drops. I have 40 paras with night fighting equipment to secure the LZ, followed shortly by an Israeli Machbet acting as a master unit for my air defense and two modded avenger humvee slave units to set up a basic air defense screen. Lastly this Inital group will have a couple Vasilek mortars for fire support.

To be flown in on other flights I have a hundred odd grunts for digging in and freeing up the paras from perimeter work, a few more Vasilek mortars and a battery (4) of 105s. Rounding out my combat forces will be a spoof reader set up to divert attention from my Machbet, loud, hot metal generators with old shilka radars set to cycle when the Machbet goes active.

Rounding out my force is a very well equipped field hospital complete with competent staff and a spectacular mess set up, to boost morale .

So my force can take an airfield, especially against the types we will be dealing with, and hold it against most air and ground based threats while providing fire support for the rest of you lot.

What I would personally like to see is some forces capable of dealing competently with heavy armour and high altitude aircraft, in addition to a few more offensive types.
                      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                        As Dashy said, it's going to be an interesting force. Thinking on sea based transport, that's something that if enough cash is pooled, I'll consider a cargo ship of some kind as being 'under contract' but don't make it an immediate priority.

The "Silver Star Omnilift Wing" will provide aircraft up to and including IL76 class transports (but only 2 of them at present). Those birds can carry up to 50 tons, but keep in mind space restrictions as well (about 3.25m height maximum to fit onboard easily). While Dashy has a para-capable force, no one is held to that standard, though the quicker and easier your force can be brought in country, the faster it'll be available (you might have to wait one or more 'turns' for your force to be flown in or only start with a partial force). Also keep in mind that unless you provide your own transport (expensive), you'll be using SSOW, which means that all ground force players will be in that same pipeline. SSOW can and will accept donations from your starting funds and put them towards purchaing more air transport to get everyone in country faster.

My requirement for your force as a player is that your force be cohesive and one that will be operating together. You can't for example have an Abrams Platoon and a flight of A-10s....while they might work on the same mission parameters they'd be operating separately. You could have a tank and an apc with attached infantry for operating in concert. Just keep in mind that your force will be on the map (actual maps this time, it's modern) in the same battlespace, it won't be widely strewn about (unless part of it is still flying into the Area of Operations).

Currently we have:

Cargo Air Wing
                        Airfield Seizure/support force
                        A Flight of Cobra Helicopters

As Dashy suggested, some 'fast movers' of one sort or another would probably be a good idea, and more ground troops are likely to be a necessity.

Comment

To put some figures in on what is currently been gathered for this mercenary 'task force':

Silver Star Omnilift Wing:

2 x IL76MF
                          1 x KC130T
                          8 x Cessna C185
                          2 x Cessna 208B Grand Caravan
                          1 x Cessna 182 Skylane

Cheetah's force:

2 x AH1W Super Cobra. 6m for weapons and kit, 10m to SSOW for funding additional transport assets

Dashy's Force (Kind of big to list, suffice to say that he's got quite the unique support echelon that comes with its own transport and can seize an airfield given the right conditions).

Comment

And as my life is finally starting to stabilize......looking at a couple of weeks at most before this kicks off. Anyone familiar with my take on the Rainbow games will have come to love and hate my hand-drawn maps. Since this is modern, we will use actual Google Maps......oooh, detail....

Comment

Consider my force more or less done. EUROCORPS is ready for action. I have everything from motorized infantry to electronic warfare, organic artillery support and repair and recovery assets. Tac gave me too much money to play with
                              Crimson's Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG Chapter Two --- Carlisle
                              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                              Colonel Abraham Bates, Rainbow Brigade
                              Angrim One-Eye, Yellow Company
                              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Working...
                              X