Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Two days after the briefing, Major Finch's battalion calls roll to find that fifteen men have departed in the night for points unknown. The rest seem resolved to remain with their battalion and brigade. In an effort to provide some semblance of uniformity, it seems that enterprising sergeants have scoured the Germantown field, and other captured stocks, and the entire battalion is adorned in Union cavalry hats with a very simple cloth insignia roughly sewn on the front where the crossed sabers used to be.

Replacements are distributed to the units, with General Sennef making some alterations to the recommendations made by Colonel Bates. All of the artillerists are given colt revolvers in the Navy caliber and Sharps carbines, and the Tar Heels turn in their muzzle-loading Enfields for Sharps carbines as well. Rainbow then moves out with Stuart's Division, marching North for points unknown.

The next couple of weeks or so are a hellacious pace of marching, though Rainbow's excellent conditioning and commitment to good footwear shows as she has the fewest number of stragglers. Many Confederate brigades are down to regimental size with attrition of the long campaigns of the summer, and many men without adequate shoes find their feet marched to ribbons on the rough macadamized surface of Northern roads. General Stuart consistently refuses to put Rainbow into the line and holds you back on multiple occasions, true to his word of considering you to be his hammer for a decisive moment.

Through a combination of bad luck and other factors, McClellan's Army of the Potomac manages to patch itself together and come after the Army of Northern Virginia in force. With avenues to flank blocked at turns and the very real possibility of being trapped on the wrong side of the Potomac and destroyed, General Lee pulls his scattered divisions together at Sharpsburg. Stuart's Cavalry Division, now renamed a Corps, is charged with guarding the extreme left flank of the Army and tying it to the natural barrier of the Potomac.

On the 16th, McClellan finally shows his hand, and in usual cautious fashion he probes against the division of John Bell Hood. Orders are sent to be prepared for strong attacks on the left side of the line, predominately held by Jackson's 2nd Corps. Early on the morning of the 17th, men take their positions for what everyone feels will be the decisive battle of this campaign. You all know that the Yankee has you outnumbered substantially, and your position is precarious. If McClellan is able to drive you off the field, the Army of Northern Virginia will be backed against the Potomac and annihilated. But McClellan's Army of the Potomac has been swelled with large numbers of recruits....might it be possible to hold them or even eke a victory out of what any sane man would certainly expect to be a bloody defeat?

General Stuart advises General Sennef at his tent, with the other officers around. "Gentlemen, I've held Rainbow back from holding actions at South Mountain, Turner's Gap, and Crampton's Gap. I did that because I knew that if I husbanded your brigade carefully you would be ready to perform with aplomb at the decisive moment. Today is your moment. Rainbow will be the front line on the far left of our forces, and I am relying on you to prevent any actions against Jackson's left flank. I also trust that you might take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves for gallant action to gain advantage on the field." And with that he mounts and rides off, leaving General Sennef in charge of the field before him with the troops he has on hand. The Brigadier knows that Jackson's Corps has regiments occupying the woods on his right (from very near the edge to off-map), and with the Potomac as a barrier, any direct attack on Rainbow must come from due North. Other than that, the morning gloom gives little indication of what carnage might come during the day......

(Map Notes: The brown irregular circles are contour lines indicating a slope of roughly 30-50ft)

MAP

Rainbow Forces:

Brigade stores Unattached to units
    12 Wagons (24 men)

Legendary Stars: 4 (+1 Marching Speed)

Gardner’s Battery (Maj. Gardner)(TAG)
    2 x 3.5in Blakely Rifles
    4 x 10lb Parrott Rifles
    1 Wagon
    60 Men (grey-blue uniforms w/ red facings)
    Sharps Carbine, 1851 Colt Navy Revolver

Richter’s Battery (Maj. Richter)(Exorcist)(Soldier Bonus)
    6 x 12lb Howitzers
    70 men (Dark Grey Shell Jackets/Trousers)
    Sharps Carbine, 1851 Colt Navy Revolver

Tar Heel Troop (Maj. Pruitt)(Pruitt)(Wounded!)
    141 Cavalry (Grey Jackets, Jeancloth trousers, assorted covers)
    3 x 1860 Colt Army
    Sharps Carbine

Sennef’s Saddle Blazers (Brig. Gen. Sennef)(Sennef)
    138 Cavalry (blue/grey uniforms, Crimson Cavalry Hats some with ostrich plumes)
    Tranter Revolver
    Saber
    Sharps Carbine

Bird’s Green Jackets (Maj. Bird)(Capt AFB)(Businessman Bonus)(+2 Musketry)
    380 Infantry (Green Sack Coats and Trousers)
    Jaegergewehr 1856/59 / Bayonet (+50% ammo)
    Bowie Knives/Hatchets
    Wagon of Supplies and Ammunition in personal stores (+50% ammo when stationary for 1hr)

Finch’s Battalion (Maj. Finch)(Snowy)
    291 Infantry (Variety of Homespuns, good boots, Cavalry Hats)
    1853 Enfields/Bayonets
    Shovel or Axe per man

Bates’ Company (Maj. Bates)(Sen)(Businessman Bonus)
    152 Infantry (Green Sack Coats, Butternut Trousers)
    Calisher & Terry Carbines
    Single-shot Pistol
    Dirk

Tiger Rifles (Maj. Leroy)(Fritgern)(Soldier Bonus)(+2 Melee)
    240 Infantry (Blue/White Striped Pantaloons, Red Shirts/Blue-Red Jackets), Straw Hats & Fezzes)
    1841 Dreyse Rifle (Adds Capt. Von Trapp)
    Cutlasses

Georgia Badgers Militia (Maj. Holden)(Cheetah)(Businessman Bonus)(Wounded)
    150 Infantry (Solid Green Sack Coat and Trousers, Brown leathers, brogans and Slouch Hat)
    Whitworth Rifles w/Globe sights (1200yd range)
    Kerr Revolvers
    1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword (carried on baldric)

Orleans Blues (Maj. Freeman)(Businessman Bonus)
    188 Infantry (Grey Sack Coats, Trousers, Kepi)
    1853 Enfield Rifle-Musket, Bayonet
    Single-shot Pistol
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Two days after the briefing, Major Finch's battalion calls roll to find that fifteen men have departed in the night for points unknown. The rest seem resolved to remain with their battalion and brigade. In an effort to provide some semblance of uniformity, it seems that enterprising sergeants have scoured the Germantown field, and other captured stocks, and the entire battalion is adorned in Union cavalry hats with a very simple cloth insignia roughly sewn on the front where the crossed sabers used to be.
    A very elegant solution if I may say, thanks

The next couple of weeks or so are a hellacious pace of marching, though Rainbow's excellent conditioning and commitment to good footwear shows as she has the fewest number of stragglers.
    Finch observes his men marching by from a small elevation, he tips his newly improvised headwear in salute.

When they have passed, he takes it off and and studies it, contemplating who wore it riding down from the North and how and when, if ever, it will ride South again.

Throwing one last look over his shoulder, he spurs on his horse to follow his men down the hill and across the border.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 24 May 18, 05:35.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

It seems Tarheel Legion is short 30 men without a shot being fired. We were reinforced to 171 men, now we are at 141?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Battle Orders

General Sennef studies the map long and hard, then starts issuing his operational order in his traditional way: ‘Gentlemen, the situation is as follows:’

I. Situation: see map:
        Enemy: McClellan's Army of the Potomac at the north end of the map (North Hill?), composed of relatively inexperienced troops
        Own troops: Jackson’s Corps on south end of map, 3,5 KM east of our position.

II. Mission: Rainbow’s mission is to prevent any actions against Jackson's left flank.

III. Execution:
        A. Commanders Intent: careful scouting followed by aggressive action against McClellan. I expect enemy to set up his starting line on top of the hill at north of the map and start his advance south against Jackson’s Corps from there. He will likely place artillery there as well. My intention is a twofold approach: the fire element Vulcan (orange arrow) on the map and the manoeuvre element Sickle (red)
        Vulcan: Bring out enfilading fire on Union infantry marching south (by Bird, Holden Richter) and its supporting artillery (by Gardner). This position is safeguarded by Finch.
        Sickle: On my command: Attack enemy artillery on North Hill (Leroy, Pruit, Sennef). Bates and Freeman in swing position / reserve (my discretion)
        B. Orders, see map
        1. Sennef’s SB: carry out recon direction North Hill to establish enemy positions, strengths and possible intentions. Avoid enemy contact and return to report.
        Vulcan:
        2. Gardner: set up artillery on top of Nicodemus hill iot bring out counter battery fire against enemy artillery on North Hill (Sickle). On my command: Relay your fire to enemy infantry marching towards Jackson (Vulcan)
        3. Richter: set up artillery on top of Nicodemus hill, SE of Gardner iot bring out fire on enemy infantry marching sough towards Jackson (Vulcan)
        4. Holden: place your sharpshooters along the road, see map. You may have to move east 500 meters in order to get enemy marching south towards Jackson in range but only on my command.
        5. Bird, place your men between Holden and Finch along the road. You too may have to move east to get enemy infantry in range.
        6. Finch. Establish you men in the building and forest and establish a strongpoint. Your position will be Rainbow’s lynchpin between Vulcan and Sickle in this battle. Dig in!
        Sickle
        7. Leroy: lead your men west of Finch. On my command, move north then swing east onto the North Hill for action against enemy artillery.
        8. Pruitt: bring your men in position to attack North Hill on my command
        9. Bates, together with Freeman, you act as swing wing: either to reinforce Vulcan or Sickle

IV. Logistics: Brigade Train on Nicodemus Hill, PM

V. Command & Control: I’ll be on top of Hill Nicodemus leading Vulcan, XO Col Bates will be in charge of the execution of Sickle. Saddle Blazers will provide couriers to Rainbow's sub-units and generals Stuart and Jackson
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 18 May 18, 10:00. Reason: adding map problems
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          It seems Tarheel Legion is short 30 men without a shot being fired. We were reinforced to 171 men, now we are at 141?

Pruitt
          Bates made recommendations. Sennef made a few modifications before signing off on them.

Comment

6. Finch. Establish you men in the building and forest and establish a strong point. Your position will be Rainbow’s lynchpin between Vulcan and Sickle in this battle. Dig in!
            Finch orders his men to said location, inspecting the ground and ordering various improvements for all round defence.

That map is dangerously empty, a lot of enemy troops can fit on there

Thanks for doing all this.
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
            Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
              Finch orders his men to said location, inspecting the ground and ordering various improvements for all round defence.

That map is dangerously empty, a lot of enemy troops can fit on there

Thanks for doing all this.
              Indeed major Finch, I indeed expect a lot of Union troops coming south, especially over the East side of the map towards Jackson.

If it so happens that the enemy comes en masse at our (west) side of the map, it will be in the first place up to you to stop them!

If so: SICKLE will be postponed.
              You will be assisted in holding your pivot position by major Leroy to your left.
              Help will arrive in the form of our swing role units: Bates and Freeman.
              Gardner will relay his artillery fire to north of your position
              If that is still not enough to dampen enemy enthusiasm: Pruitt's Tarheels and Sennef's Saddle Blazers will harrass the his right flank.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

"Yankees might be inexperienced bunch and exactly that is what worries me. They wouldn't send new recruits alone into a fight, would they?

Outside that it looks like we have the plan. I will lead the Irregulars into the position shortly and hope that Yankees might not be ready to react to our movement immediately." Colonel Bates says.
                Crimson's Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG Chapter Two --- Carlisle
                Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                Colonel Abraham Bates, Rainbow Brigade
                Angrim One-Eye, Yellow Company
                "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Major Pruitt leads his men North towards North Hill to scout for Yankee troops. We will travel slow with an advance guard and flank guards. We will not start a major engagement. We are trying to find them and fix them.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Comment

Freeman orders his men to advance downhill and remain in position. They are to rest for now and prepare for their first proper battle. The men are to be in scattered formation so as not to draw artillery fire. Ready them to move as a column at a moments notice.

OOC:
                    Was supposed to have 216 men. Did we lose a few as stragglers?
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                      OOC:
                      Was supposed to have 216 men. Did we lose a few as stragglers?

You didn't lose any men. Bates made his recommendation, and Sennef had some small edits made before final approval. What you're seeing is the final numbers, vice the recommended ones. Bird and Leroy both received some replacements as well in the final numbers.

Comment

Major Leroy leads the Tigers west of Finch, waiting for orders to maneuver on North Hill. He reminds his men to sharpen their blades and that cannons live on hills, that cannoneers are a terrible swordsman and that the first man to secure a cannon gets a promotion, exemption from duties for a week and extra whiskey rations.
                        The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Do we have time to dig trenches or is this battle more about maneuvering than in-depth defense of the hill to the south? If we do have time, I'd recommend digging hard to provide ourselves with some protections from small firearms and artillery bombardments.
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

The actual battle was very mobile. A couple of Yankee commanders did some very questionable things (Burnside's Bridge?). If we see a natural position like the Sunken Road, we should use it. I played my old Apple II Antietam game until it wore out. I always played the Yankees and I attacked with all my units at the same time. I sent Hooker after Nicodemus Hill and took it out before turned towards Jackson's lines. I also sent all my Cavalry to Snavely's Ford and drove across to prevent AP Hill from coming in. Even better, I have been to this battlefield. The sad thing is I did not go to this part of the field. There are lots of feral apple trees in the fence lines.

Pruitt
                            Last edited by Pruitt; 19 May 18, 00:17.

Comment

The Green Jackets move into position to the right of Finch's Battalion who was digging in and fortifying its position in the wooded area.

To their own right, Rainbow's sharpshooter under Holden. A few days earlier, Maj Bird met with Holden and Gardner to congrats them on a job well-done in holding the orchard...Bird was feeling a bit guilty that his GJ were not there to help them and how lucky they were that Jackson cavalrymen showed up when they did.

Maj Bird had no illusion about what part his battalion was going to play in the next battle. Being the largest battalion in Rainbow, holding legendary status and with a very strong musketry capabilities, Maj Bird expect that Gen Sennef will locate his unit to stop and break any Yankee attack against Rainbow.

The GJ supply wagon followed the unit and was kept right behind them for now. If danger appeared, the quartermaster would bring the wagon back to the Rainbow supply train.

From South to North, A Company held the Right Flank, B Company in the center and C Company held the Left Flank. New members were spread through the companies. All the new members came from the Colonial Foot, and the GJ sergeant-major found appropriate green or dark clothing in Germantown to replace their scarlet uniform - Red spots among the dark green uniform would have simply not do. If they proved themselves during the next battle, Maj Bird Bird promised to rename C Company "Colonial Company" in their honor.

Has the GJ set into their new position, Cpt Frumm and now-Cpt Dyers came to see Maj Bird...Cpt Frumm asking "Sir, what is a Vulcan? Emil and I were trying to figure out if we knew someone with that name, like the Yanks' Gen Sickles, for the Sickle part of the plan, or maybe the name of a city in Europe? Or the name of Gen Sennef's pet dog?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure,"answered Bird, "I think it has something to do with the Greeks and their mythology...Something like Mars or Venus...Perhaps its the name of a planet or a star."

Cpl Ross, the GJ Medic, who was in earshot of the officers' conversation could not help himself..."Sirs, If I may," says shily the young Cpl, now wishing he bit his tongue instead of speaking, " Vulcan is the Greek god of metalwork and forge, and volcano fires."

Maj Bird registering the new info, speaks "Well, that makes sense. We are the anvil in Gen Sennef's plan, so Vulcan would be quite an appropriate name. Thank you, Cpl Ross, a few officers are now better educated."

"You're welcome, Sir. Glad I could help. My uncle told story of Greek mythologies when he visited our family farm. He teaches in a university somewhere in Alabama," explains Cpl Ross.

Cpt Dyers smiles and says "Oh! In my mind, a Vulcan was some kind of creature or monster with pointy ears!"

The GJ in position, some would get axes from the supply wagon and go in the wooded area to their left, behind Finch's lines to cut trees to establish some defensive work in from of their lines.

OOC: We need a bit of a description of the road. Elevated? Sunken? How wide?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X