No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Holden grinned as he heard the beautiful sounds of Whitworth rifles opening up all at once, each targeting a Yankee soldier of that famed elite skirmisher unit. One less Yankee at a time, he did not mind that his boys were doing their best making the orphans out of these bastards across the field. After all, they breed like rabbits.

Holden spat on the ground as he took another observation of the bluecoats scurrying for cover through his trusty old scope. Although it was hard to see through the scope because of muzzle smoke, he was confident that Yankees were momentarily stymied by Whitworth rifle fire.

Pleasant with his unit's work, Major Holden issued the following orders:

1.) Stay low in the grasses.
    2.) Slack off the fire a bit, it's now down to selective targeting. Take time to make every shot count.
    3.) Target all officers and those who are seen holding up the flags. I want all Yankees demoralized.
    4.) Major Holden will make rounds along the line, directing the fire at specific targets when warranted.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Major Leroy hears Captain von Trapp suggest our Dreyse rifles can hit them and orders every man he knows can shoot well to move to the front of their companies. Each of them is assigned a reloader as he doesn't want their shots to be interrupted by having to reload or increase their breathing or heart rate. His order is to fire on command in a volley and thereafter fire at will, while monitoring the Yanks for casualties.
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Seeing situation not changing much, Colonel Bates is content at continuing to dig in and prepare their position for the Union attack.
        From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
        Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
        "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

The battery will continue to fire on the Yankee artillery with shell. One salvo of case (shrapnel) will be fired as well.

Comment

Richter goes up and down the battery, making sure that each gun is sited properly and that they have reasonably good cover.
            I also have to make sure that the men know they have to stay put.
            "We have good cover here, but that ground behind us is as open as what's up front. We have sharpshooters and artillery ready to pick us off the moment we leave this trench. Men, we missed out on the last battle, here is where we make up for it. This is the critical point, and if those dummies do the usual thing, they will head straight for our cannon. Hell, it sure beats getting surrounded and left behind, don't it?"

In his heart, he knows that this "Rainbow" brigade is probably finished. The Iron Brigade is more than a match for this hodge-podge of battalions, and they are backed by a lot of other units. All he can do is make his stand and hope for a miracle.

(and I'm fine with that, it's been a good run)
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

The men of Orleans Blues prepare for the storm as the calm passes.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Maj Bird is starting to believe that the Green Jackets and its sister units forming the Rainbow Brigade are going be holding this position for the rest of their cyberlife!

Comment

Tac, when is the next update? I'm dying to see if the Badgers got any dibs on them Yankee boys.
                  Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Update in progress now. Sorry about all the RL issues getting in the way. I think this is the first time I've sat in my chair in a week.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

September 17th, 0720hrs

As the news gets passed, General Sennef's adjutant is able to piece together the bits of information. It seems that Rainbow is facing the Eastern Iron Brigade, based on the presence of the 2nd USSS (you can look it up, there were Two Iron Brigades in the AotP).

Holden's Badgers start taking more deliberate fire, as well as the Yankee Green Jackets, both entering into a duel between their respective units. A few Sharpshooters go down, and none of the Badgers, to what is more a stroke of skirmishers going to ground than it is luck. Several of Leroy's Tigers open up but fail to have a noticeable effect on the Sharpshooters who continue to edge their way further towards Holden's company. Continued fire from both the Tigers and the Badgers starts to tear up the Sharpshooters, and still losses from return fire are low, but this fight will not be won quickly.....

In the Duel of the Hills, Gardner's somewhat reduced battery lets fly a volley of case shot, doing good work across the Yankee gunners trying to get their heavy guns back up, and the sign of men fleeing back to the other battery seems to show that they've been dissuaded from getting the surviving 20lbder back into action. Return fire is scattered and seems to confirm that the other battery present are smoothbores. But being less accurate is not the same as ineffective, and the next volleys Gardner's supporting battery loses a number of gunners to shells exploding on the ground and in the air, while his combined force puts steel and carnage through the Union battery in reply. Gardner's grand battery is hurting but definitely not out, and their Yankee counterparts are sustaining a far worse end to the exchange. However, Major Gardner looks through his binoculars to see more horses and yet more guns coming onto the hill......

Major Richter has his men load their howitzers and stay low. All along the sunken road, the men remain low, commanders barely peeking up onto the open ground beyond, and Finch's Battalion hiding behind their rude works in the trees. Everyone awaits the anticipated attack of the Iron Brigade, yet nothing happens. Hanging just outside of range, the Yankees stand there in ranks. Colonel Bates can see more moving up, and three more regiments hove into view beside their counterparts, extending the line......

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

As more and more blue jackets appear, Maj Leroy is already assessing the odds. The Yanks can deploy 2 battalions against him and although his Dreyse rifles may match their mass of fire, if a third battalion is deployed or cavalry is behind us, there's only so much courage can do. He hopes the Colonel has seen this and perhaps this is not the battle for Rainbow this day. We could fight a retreat back to the hill and hold as long as able, as staying where we are may be valiant, it will be all for naught if we aren't reinforced. Either way, he makes no show of his fears to the Tigers as we're going to need every last drop of valor to overcome what is in store for us.
                        The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Just going to make a note. I'm pretty good about putting sizes in proportion on the map......look at those regiments and what do you see?

Also, thee curse of not forcing an engagement is that the enemy gets to decide when he has enough to attack....

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            Just going to make a note. I'm pretty good about putting sizes in proportion on the map......look at those regiments and what do you see?
                            About a 2-1 superiority across the board for the enemy, but that is not what has me worried.

Also, thee curse of not forcing an engagement is that the enemy gets to decide when he has enough to attack....
                            Yes, but defense is still the stronger form, especially when we have such a good position. If they can build a 3-1 superiority we have a real problem on our hands.

But back to what worries me; the northern end.
                            There is an enemy unit on a hill looking straight down the trench at Bates, turning his cover into a mass-grave would be easy for them. The Tar Heels and the Blues combined could push them back, but their flank would be hanging in mid-air if they did. And that would also commit our reserves much too early.
                            A tricky situation...
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Continue under current orders.

Just going to make a note. I'm pretty good about putting sizes in proportion on the map......look at those regiments and what do you see ?
                              They keep on coming, but they aren't quite as many (per regiment) as they were a while ago

Obviously it's not likely we'll be able to hold them all by ourself - but then again it's not likely we won't be reinforced either, we hold the left flank of the army - they can't really afford to let us be overrun.
                              Last edited by Snowygerry; 15 Jun 18, 04:25.
                              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

But back to what worries me; the northern end.
                                There is an enemy unit on a hill looking straight down the trench at Bates, turning his cover into a mass-grave would be easy for them. The Tar Heels and the Blues combined could push them back, but their flank would be hanging in mid-air if they did. And that would also commit our reserves much too early.
                                A tricky situation...
                                OOC: Isn't that what happened at the sunken road at the other end of the line historically? I was going to suggest we rush that hill, but now it's too late.

IC:
                                Orders changed
                                Last edited by Karri; 19 Jun 18, 19:44.
                                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X