Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Edit: Yes.....I'm determined to see this game through to a conclusion, I know I know, highly unusual for games I GM here. With all the other factors in play that are cumulative throughout the series, I think that Episode 6 would not only be about the natural game ending, but realistically about the end for Rainbow as well, one way or the other.
    Pretty much any game here right?

Dashwood's Cavalry are going to continue their jacket flapping until ordered otherwise.
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• The Badgers will hold its position and continue to pepper fire on 12 PA or any other enemy unit stupid enough to advance within the rifle range. Use the woods as cover and lay low in skirmishing formation.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Leaving both independent cavalry commands to exploit whatever opportunities their commanders see presented before them - and to ensure the safety and condition of their own men - Fawcett turns a fulminating glare on the massed ranks of Rainbow Brigade on the crest behind him. "Maxwell," he shouts, calling one of the men as a runner. "Kindly scramble back up that hill and invite Bird and Finch to join us in their own time. Direct Leroy to fix the 11 PA in place, but not to engage more closely unless supported. Freeman and Bates are to operate as the brigade reserve, recovering in place unless they see a situation that requires their input." [OOC: Fawcett doesn't know about the message Gardner has at this point, so has no orders regarding this - use your own initiative gentlemen!]

When Bird and Finch join the Grenadiers, the whole will pivot into the woods across the road and drive hard eastwards towards the flank of the disordered 12PA and the crossroads beyond.
        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Reminder, next update will be sometime on Friday EST. And since there are things in motion, it'll be a 20m update, but the schedule will be adhered to.....if Rainbow doesn't make moves, then the enemy will have time to gain an initiative advantage.
          Finch reporting in, just here for a day before leaving again untill August 11, no time to contribute anything useful, so if at all possible maintain the current arrangement for another week.

Thanks.
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• September 17th, 1240hrs

East to West:

Captain Dashwood maintains his distance, looking for an opportune moment. Seeing that there are still bluecoats on the edge of that cornfield, however, he is reluctant to go charging into an unknown number of infantry in what would be quite ideal ground for resisting his troopers. His fellow cavalry troopers in the Tar Heels have the enemy artillery exposed to their front and the headquarters within their grasp, but don't advance into range of their pistols or carbines. With ample time to wheel their guns about, the Napoleons crash, and case shot explodes throughout the Tar Heels, felling more of those worthies in moments than had gone down all day. This is too much even for experienced troops and they gallop away to the North to get clear of the bombardment.

The Badgers continue to fire on the 12th PA, but with dubious effects now that all of the obvious officers have been shot. However, the time spent firing on the Tar Heels gives Fawcett the opportunity he's been waiting for. The moment the Green Jackets catch up to his Guards they all plunge across the clearing as one. Stopping to fire a single volley, the Green jackets shatter the company defending their front, and with minor casualties they're through.

Wheeling, the Guards fire on the 12th, forcing them back but not shattering them, while the Green Jackets and Finches clear the wood and move up onto line. Engaging in the first true battle-line fight of the day, the 12th Pennsylvania is broken and sent streaming to the rear, and the 11th begins to lose men, but the line has strayed into Canister range, and a number of soldiers go down all across the line, two score or more men in the span of a minute from the great guns. Rapid fire from the Guards breechloaders starts to take a toll on the gunners, and a volley from the Green Jackets sets the 11th PA recoiling back, leaving the guns exposed as the mounted command parties can be seen whipping the men and getting them to advance back to their guns.

The Blues and Tigers maintain their position to the rear, along with Richter and Bates, who is watching towards the bridge. Meanwhile, Gardner, fully aware of the threat to the flank, sends his men to see what guns they can salvage. Sitting on the limber chest with his broken leg in a splint, Gardner looks North through his binoculars. After a while he can see mounted riders coming back towards the bridge in small parties. He also thinks he can hear musketry to the North. Glancing back to Shrapnel Hill, he sees his men starting back towards his position, horses pulling three guns. The shape of the Parrott is readily visible, and he notices that two of the guns are substantially larger than the others, it seems that his gunners took his orders to mean bring back the biggest rifles they could find in condition to move. (2 x 20lb Parrott and 1 x 10lb Parrott will be added to battery at end of next update).

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• OOC: Fawcett is not yet aware of the situation on our left, but anyone not involved in our drive east (Leroy? Freeman? Bates?) should seriously consider getting to the south side of the Mercerville bridge on the double-quick.

If we're there and in good positions, we can hold well with Gardner's support.

If the Federals get across that river in force we may not have the weight to throw them back.

Comment

• Major Pruitt tells the Bugler to sound the rally. "Men, I am going to start back to where we just were. I want us to hit that
                Command Group we saw trying to hide. Who will ride with me?"

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• The Blues will move double quick towards the bridge in order to cover it. Set up a line at the cover the of the cornfield in order to fire at the bridge.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

• My battery will remain in place and construction of field works to protect the guns will continue. When the new guns arrive, they will be emplaced with the battery and made ready to fire.

I send a note to Colonel Fawcett, The Mercerville pike is open on our flank. From the sounds of gunfire, it is likely the Yankees will be advancing down that pike in the near future. My guns are all that stand to resist such a movement. If I might humbly suggest, some men should be sent to hold the bridge and turn any Yankee advance.

Humbly, your servant.

Comment

• Update scheduled for Tuesday. Since @frtgern has been absent for two updates someone is allowed to give direction to the tigers.

Comment

• OOC: I'm here, just busier than expected. Appreciate the frequent and timely updates.

Like the Blues the Tigers will double-time to the south side of the Mercerville bridge, setting up on other side of road from them.

Maj Leroy
                        The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• OOC: taking over as Richter for the rest of this episode all.

Richter's battery will go with the Blues and Tigers to the bridge, and set up astride the road between the two infantry units. EDIT: between the Blues and Tigers.
                          Last edited by Legatus Augusti; 05 Aug 18, 13:00.
                          Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Fawcett sends a runner out to the right, calling in Holden to prey on targets of opportunity at his maximum effective range. Gun crews, commanders, at this point the Federal flank lays open and the sharpshooters can cherry-pick their shots.

That being done, the Grenadiers hurl themselves to the earth and begin aimed fire on the gun crews, taking a fearsome toll until they either cease trying to reload their weapons or die in place.

That threat countered, Finch and the Greenjackets advance to contact on the left, Bird's pocket battalion orienting on their targets for volley fire by platoon while Finch is able to lap around and envelop the guns (if they're holding out), command parties or the remains of the 12PA if they rally. The 11PA is expected to remain, but once Rainbow has tidied up the pieces they can direct a lethal fire into their ranks.

Comment

• OOC: Since the Badgers don't know anything about the potential threat to the Rainbow's rear, I'll continue to treat them as oblivious to the threat unless Gardner manages to send runners informing us of the threat to north.

Holden's Orders: The Badgers will advance downhill toward the road inside the woods and position itself north of the road, facing east to open fire on Yankees about to flee from NCGG and Green Jackets. They will specifically target the gun crews and commanders at maximum range of their rifles. Use the woods as cover.
                              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Just waiting on Bates and Dashwood and we can get this update going. Appreciate everyone dropping in so quickly. This episode has definitely been a labor of love for me as well, with writing a much bigger map and a few other things. The next couple of updates are likely to tell which decision tree I need to flesh out more for Rainbow's Finale episode coming up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X