No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Pruitt sends an orderly to the rear to bring up the supply wagon. He calls out that each Platoon may brew a pot of coffee. " First water your horses and then check them over. Then I want Horse Holders to take the Horses back a little. I want the men to check their loads and resupply when the wagon gets here. Anyone check the Yankee saddlebags for cheese yet?"

We stay right here until we are ordered somewhere else.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Dashwoods Cavalry will keep their distance, keeping eyes on the yanks and menacing their flank
      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• The line redressed and Rainbow's companies reordered and rested (if briefly), Fawcett knew the time had come to seize back the initiative that the broken Federal offensive had left laying at their feet, a gage simply waiting for a man of action to seize it. Harry wasn't going to wait for the Yankees to regain their confidence, not when the elite Rainbow brigade stood ready to punch through the remains of the line before them.

He couldn't see the couriers, but as he toured the line he saw the northern headquarters nestled at the crossroads and knew - he just knew - that with the Rebels atop Shrapnel Hill there were messages en route screaming for reinforcement.

Time for some messages of his own.
        Gardner,

Please join Richter on Shrapnel Hill as soon as your battery is ready to return to action; we are moving against the Federals at the crossroads and would welcome your support.

Yr. humb. srv.,

Col. Fawcett

Major Pruitt,

Please transfer your command to the Hagerstown Pike, picketing the road and providing Rainbow with notice of any reinforcements coming down the road. Recognising your heavy fighting we are not assuming you are ready for further combat, but rather urge you to regroup your formation there and develop whatever opportunities may arise.

Yr. humb. serv.,

Col. Fawcett

Colonel Bates,

Please bring your men, the Blues and Tigers up to the crest of Shrapnel Hill and develop a position in the woods facing the Federals NE of us. This will serve as a fallback position in the event sizeable Yankee reinforcements arrive, and your men will be able to regroup as the brigade reserve until required.

Yr. humb. serv.

Col. Fawcett

Holden,

Please advance your men to engage the 12 PA from extreme range. We expect to engage them shortly and would appreciate the ragged disarray that only your particular brand of sharpshooting can provide.

Your humble servant,

Colonel Fawcett

Richter,

Please engage the Yankee independent companies in the woodline ahead, moving eastward as Rainbow's advance masks your guns.

Yr humb serv,

Col. Fawcett

With a flurry of runners fanning out behind him, Fawcett took a rare ride on his own mount to speak with Bird and Finch.

"Gentlemen," he began, "the key to the enemy position lays before us at the intersection of the Hagerstown Pike, and we have the weight and the position to seize it. Throw the enemy back in disarray and we can relieve Jackson's flank and enable him to turn the whole bedamned Yankee host. The enemy is vulnerable here, and with your aid I mean to strike him."

The Greenjackets and Grenadier Guard will pivot north and attack the Federal independent companies facing south, pausing in the wood to fix them as Finch (on Bird's left) passes around the enemy flank and pours in fire from that angle. The enemy will crumble quickly, and once Finch is committed Bird and the Guard can advance and throw them out of their wood. Pivoting right on the Guard, we can then repel the 12th PA, drive through the enemy battery and seize the crossroads.

Fresh from a visit to his home in the South, he hands out cigars to those commanders willing - his own Guard were issued one each this morning. With the other commanders' agreement he returns to his own Grenadiers and dismounts, handing off his mount to his lieutenant so that he can lead his men to war with a rousing Rebel Yell as they begin to descend the hill to the north.
        Last edited by Khryses; 30 Jul 18, 00:15. Reason: Forgot Richter
        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• "Bugler! Sound Assembly! Men we are going to take a little ride to the Hagerstown Pike! We will go behind the Cornfield and keep on an Easterly bearing until we hit the road. We will then send a couple of patrol out to watch for Yankee troops."

"Now I want a column of fours to form up! We will start at the walk, then at the trot!"

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• I give the crews some time to give the guns a quick cleaning and organize the ammo cases before we limber up again. We will be ready to move by next turn.

I also send a messenger to the men and officers I left on Nicodemous Hill repairing the damaged guns to follow our movement. In addition, I send an officer with a good sergeant to examine the abandoned Union guns near the sunken road and report on their condition.

Comment

• After receiving the dispatch from Colonel Fawcett, Holden orders the Badgers to begin advancing cautiously down the hill to engage 12 PA at the edge of Badgers' range.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Blues will follow the orders received from Colonel Fawcett.
                Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Tigers will follow the orders received from Colonel Fawcett.
                  The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• September 17th, 1220hrs

East to West:

Holden leads his Badgers up, right on the edge of the wood, as they draw within rifle range and open fire on the 12th PA. Their rounds start to have a telling effect, with Holden running his glass over the regiment to see a number of officers fallen as his men make a slow and steady fire upon them. Artillery fire on the puffs of smoke from his rifles is little more than a nuisance. Meanwhile, far to the east, Dashwood's cavalry studiously keeps the edge of the wood between themselves and the guns, and keeps just out of range of the wood while continuing to drag their coats in front of the enemy in an effort to scout out their positions.

After speaking with Bird and Finch, Col. Fawcett goes back to his Guards and they sweep forward, doing their part of the plan to turn the Yankee flank and win this battle and maybe the war. Reaching the edge of the wood where it borders the road, they come under fire and return fire on the Yankee companies to their front. At first the Unionists do well, killing or wounding a half score of Guardsmen on the advance, but soon the telling fire of the dreyse simply overwhelms the company to their front. With the big battalions not moving up, Fawcett pauses to see what the hold up is.

Receiving their orders, the Blues and Tigers march out, heading up the hill and to the wood. Finding the Green Jackets and Finches atop the hill, they incline to the right to fill in the gap. The Irregulars remain on the slope of the hill looking NW, to what ends no one knows. With Finch not advancing, Richter only need prolong his guns forward slightly to engage the Federal company to the NE of his position. While slackened from losses this day, his fire is effective, and after a few minutes of howitzer shells exploding amongst them, the Federals withdraw.

On the hill, Gardner orders his guns well swabbed and then limbered to move. Information received is that there are 6 Napoleons, one 20lb Parrot, and a couple of 10lb Parrots in good condition but will need their touch-holes bored out to remove the headless nails jammed in there by the cavalry, which could take an hour or more with moving the tools to the location. Pruitt's Tar Heels ride due East from the Cornfield, reaching the pike. After scattering a reforming company of troops, Pruitt finds himself behind the enemy lines, but with the Yankees fully alerted to his presence. He can see gunners with handspikes scrambling to turn their guns about and beyond them the 11th PA wheeling to face him and moving out of the corn.

A pair of riders gallop over the bridge on the Mercerville Road. Delivering their word of mouth dispatches to the first officer they see, Gardner receives the following:

"Yankee Troops on the Mercerville Rd. Hampton and two regiments were already through mercerville and got North to go after Mac, they moved on after their skirmish was brushed aside. Jeff Davis Legion is skirmishing in Mercerville and delaying them as long as he can, but no guarantees on time with a brigade pushing a single regiment. Possibly whole division up there coming for the bridge."

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Just a couple of Admin notes:

1) The depth of the creeks in the NW corner of the map is unknown. No one checked, and you're not in home turf so there's no local knowledge.

2) The Bridge on the Mercerville Rd. is made of stone.

3) The impressions of the two riders are all you have, and they're impressions, no courier message was received from either the CO of the JDL or from Gen. Hampton.

4) If you've noticed Richter's absence, he had to bow out for unrelated reasons. I've worked up a solution for episode 6 (which potentially could be the finale), and for now Richter's Battery will follow the direction given to it by a senior officer or the closest unit commander physically.

Comment

• Reminder, next update will be sometime on Friday EST. And since there are things in motion, it'll be a 20m update, but the schedule will be adhered to.....if Rainbow doesn't make moves, then the enemy will have time to gain an initiative advantage.

Comment

• RL is going to take me away for a long while. So Bird and the Green Jackets will follow the orders from whoever is the senior field commander (Col Fawcett), and perhaps send them away to another theatre for the next episode.

Comment

• Upon reading the note, I decide to countermand my orders to limber and have the crews reset the guns for action where we are. It's clear to me that the brigade's left flank is wide open and the Colonel hasn't noticed it. I quickly scribble a note to my officer on Nicodemous Hill.

Leave two men as pickets to guard our guns there. Take available limbers and move to Shrapnel hill and recover the union rifles there. Restore them to order and man them for action in their current location. I include a quick sketch map of the movement I want him to make.

The battery once deployed for action will send a few men with horses to drag some timber from that nearby woods back to our position to begin field works. The battery will cover the Mercerville road and that bridge.

I send a message to Captain Bates. Suggest you move to cover the Mercerville road bridge closely. I will support you. Yankees likely to attack there soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              RL is going to take me away for a long while. So Bird and the Green Jackets will follow the orders from whoever is the senior field commander (Col Fawcett), and perhaps send them away to another theatre for the next episode.
                              Sorry to hear that. I think that for continuity purposes, your battalion will merge with the Grenadier Guards for now. In chain of command, not name. That way Rainbow doesn't lose its biggest battalion, and it's available for you whenever you return.

Admin Notes: I'm estimating around 5 to 8 more updates and this episode will conclude. I've already begun episode 6 planning, which will be the finale. As always, Rainbow's performance will be a factor, and I've made a decision tree so that as a group you all will have a choice in addition to the performance based factors.

Edit: Yes.....I'm determined to see this game through to a conclusion, I know I know, highly unusual for games I GM here. With all the other factors in play that are cumulative throughout the series, I think that Episode 6 would not only be about the natural game ending, but realistically about the end for Rainbow as well, one way or the other.
                              Last edited by TacCovert4; 01 Aug 18, 15:20.

Comment

• Freeman is at a loss what to do. The whole brigade command seems to have evaporated. It seems too foolish to venture into the open and become a prime and lone target for the enemy guns. For now the unit will sit tight, take whatever cover it can, and wait for further orders.
                                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X