No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade, Ep. 5, Maryland my Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blues advance to support Tar Heels. Avoid melee, rely on volleys to scatter the enemy
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Well, two more and I'll update early, otherwise Tuesday it is. But as a GM I seriously appreciate all the timely responses, RP and involvement. Definitely keeps me motivated on this end to continue to work on the episode.

As a side note, just to reiterate to everyone. Antietam is such a Big battle that I only mapped a small portion of it. If Rainbow was to move in any direction (save into the Potomac, you aren't amphibians) I will adjust the map to reflect.....only caveat is that all of Rainbow would need to remain roughly in the same sector of the line, I can't map leave behind units. Also, and especially for command staff, you can have contact with Lt. Gen. Jackson, commanding the 2nd Corps which is in the woods immediately to your right....Maj. Gen. Stuart, your division commander, who is commanding the cavalry which are admittedly spread out but also assigned to cover your sector....or you could skip both and send a rider to Gen. Lee. Any or all would receive situation reports, requests for orders, or suggestions from the front, and will probably give you an answer of one sort or another.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• ''Well, there goes that plan to reinforce Finch with the Badgers," thinks Bird, crossing his arms, when his runner comes back from speaking with Maj Holden ''...And I'm invited to move forwards with the GJ against the enemy too!'' mumbles Bird, shaking his head with a smile, as he watches his GJ hold their own against two Yankee regiments.

OK, time for the GJ to adapt to the new situation.

Bird orders one full volley into the Yanks unit to their left (30 NY) and then orders two volleys into the rear and flank of the Yank unit to their right (84 NY) to soften them up before facing the NCGG and Badgers. The GJ then resume their normal fire into both Yank units.

Bird expects the 84 NY to fall apart and, with a little luck, their panic-striken withdrawal will be stumbling into the 30 NY ranks...If so, this will be the signal for Lt-Col Bird to order the GJ out of the sunken road and charge into the 30 NY in an ''organized mass gaggle''...But only if the 84 NY panic-striken troops run into the 30 NY ranks...If not, the GJ will continue to provide supressing fire against the 30 NY to allow both the NCGG andBadgers to take the enemy on flank.

Comment

• OOC: Wow, just need Sekkie to respond. That must be almost a record for Rainbow players to turn in their orders.
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• OOC: Loving the surge in player elan, gentlemen!
            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• "I can support your plan Major Pruitt. Lead the way, we shall take the initiative from the Yanks."

Colonel Bates orders his men to regroup and leave the wounded behind and take their ammunition.

"We are tired and so are they, so let us show them why we are the best brigade in Confederation and beat them from the field!"
              Crimson's Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG Chapter Two --- Carlisle
              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
              Colonel Abraham Bates, Rainbow Brigade
              Angrim One-Eye, Yellow Company
              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• Alright, with that orders are locked in. I'll update in a few hours.

Comment

• September 17th, 0940hrs

South to North

Gardner switches his fire back to the hill, but at this point the sheer carnage there makes it very hard for him to note his continued success or failure. What he can tell is that he Yankee artillery has used its brief respite to get back into action as some shells come screaming overhead. Meanwhile, Captain Dashwood has his cavalry spread out into a bit of a ragged line as they continue on at a trot, men reloading their shotguns from the previous actions. Continuing towards the hill, his cavalry take fire from the remnants of the Yankee cavalry previously engaged and a few more saddles empty before their accelerating approach encourages the Federal cavalry to disperse. Seeing the artillery on the hill laid bare before him, Captain Dashwood orders a charge, and his troop plunges forward, managing to reach the hill with only a couple of men killed in a last ditch shot of canister before his spread-out horsemen are amongst the guns. The horse has suddenly found itself in possession of one hill filled mostly with shattered limbers, dead and wounded gunners, and a rapidly retreating mounted party, the only question is, how long will they be able to hold it?

Meanwhile, on the main line, the Grenadier Guards, Badgers, and Green Jackets fire on the 84th, wrecking it into uselessness and putting it to flight despite the shouts of its officers. Continuing to roll North, all three units pour fire into the now exposed 30th. Bird leads his Green Jackets out of the sunken road, and his timing proves to be off by mere moments as a volley from the New Yorkers lays a number of men low, but the pressure is too great and they turn and fall back towards the hill, dragging the 24th's remnants with them.

Richter's Gunners open up on the 24th and succeed in shattering them, leaving their remnants to flee back with the pressure being given on that flank as they continue to add confusion to the retreat occurring to their front. After waiting a moment for another volley, Finch orders his whole battalion to their feet and into line. Getting back into their accustomed "triplex axis" formation and firing order, they ripple volleys into the 22nd as they start to advance out of their own works, punching gaps throughout the line and sending them into retreat as well.

Along the northern edge of the front, the units are generally in disarray, having been in fights for their lives for over an hour. Even despite that, Major Pruitt's elan at being so close to seemingly distracted gunners is apparent, and the exhausted cavalry streams forward in a mob, striking home on the gunners and mounted party nearby, inducing their surrender amidst casualties from pistol fire. A number of Tar Heels do go down from fire as reforming yankee infantry are moving up on their rear in an effort to save their artillery, but with the advance of the Tigers, Blues, and Irregulars and some desultory fire at long range their commander takes the better part of valor and starts falling back once more. The guns are dutifully spiked by the Tar Heels, four 12lb Napoleons, and the Brigade commander of the 2nd Brigade is taken prisoner.

Things are looking up, but there are still yankees on the field and Rainbow has disorder in the ranks as the various commanders reorganize their men. Dashwood's cavalry have taken the hill, but can they hold it, and can Rainbow keep the enemy from re-forming a defense, or will they be content with the victory already won? Ammunition is extremely low along the line as well, with only the Grenadier Guards having a comfortable amount for the moment as the heavy fighting prevented resupply from easily reaching the men along the sunken road.

(Admin Notes: Gardner, I need to know whether you choose Accuracy or RoF for your Legendary Unit bonus. Finch and K, I need to know whether you choose Marching, Musketry, or Melee for your legendary unit bonus.)

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Seeing the hill taken, I switch fire to the retreating Yankees using mostly shot. "Take your time men and make your shots count (fire accurately)! We'll send them Yankee boys back to Hell!"

Comment

• "Reform, boys, reform!" Hollers Major Pruitt. "We need to get some ammo here. Those with pistol ammo will reload. I want some people dismounted to check the wounded and dead for ammo. After we reload, I want us to dismount and horse holders will take horses back aways. If you have coffee and rations, dig in. Sergeant Major, I want you to take a squad and search the Yankees for cheese and other dainties. Don't let me catch you robbing the prisoners."

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• "Yeah! Run away, Yankees! You ain't nothing to us!" Holden shouted as his men charged toward New Yorkers just as they were about to run away from the fight. With Yankee units breaking down and attempting to establish a new line of defense, Holden thought it a perfect time to get a couple of runners to be sent to Major Bird of Green Jackets and Colonel Fawcett of NCGG, in addition to the usual call for resupply. Holden wanted this time to reorganize his men, take inventory of available supplies and ammunition, and send wounded men back to field hospital stations. Besides, Holden felt his men needed brief rest as they had been fighting all morning.

Nevertheless, Holden orders the Badgers to advance toward Yankees' newly established defensive line in skirmishing formation and stop about 300-500 yards away from the Yankee line. Men are allowed to snipe at Yankees as needed, but by large, they are urged to conserve their ammo until fresh supplies can be brought forward. Besides, they need rest as well. Rotate men in and out of the fight. Be vigilant and watch out for any fresh Yankee reinforcements.

Holden has the first of runners carry the urgent message to the quartermaster at the resupply station, to bring forward the fresh supplies to the Badgers as they're dangerously low on ammunition.

The second runner carries a message to Colonel Fawcett of NCGG:
                        Colonel Fawcett,

I am forever in debt to your sudden appearance, which saved our right flank. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Sir, it is with great urgency that you continue to press upon Yankees as I understand you're still fresh and have plenty of supplies with you. The Badgers is low on ammunition, and as much I want to press upon these no good Yankees, my boys need brief rest and are exhausted from fighting all morning. They also need to be resupplied soon.

However, in meanwhile I ordered the Badgers to continue advancing toward Yankee line while awaiting for fresh supplies. The Badgers will stop approximately 300-500 yards from the line. Please do stay in contact with enemy and keep them from resting enough to reform their line. As soon fresh supplies are brought forward, I can resume having the Badgers pour in deadly volleys of rifle fire and perhaps engage them in close combat if such call is warranted.

If you feel you have something better to suggest in order to utilize the Badgers more effectively, now is the time.

Your humble servant,
                        Major Holden of the Badgers

The third runner carries a brief message to Major Bird of Green Jackets:

Major Bird,

It is with regret that I must briefly stop for rest and wait for fresh supplies to be brought forward. I have issued an urgent message to the quartermaster to get supply wagons here for resupplying of our troops. Although I have ordered my troops to advance toward enemy in skirmishing formation and stop 300-500 yards from the line, they are also instructed to conserve their ammo until further notice. They are allowed to take clear shots if needed, but don't expect the Badgers to do much anything else.

Once I get fresh supplies, my men will resume their aggressive advance and perhaps engage enemy at close range.

Yours truly,
                        Major Holden of the Badgers

Now it is done, Holden finally let out a loud sigh, surveying the entire battlefield in front of him. He flashed a smile and congratulated himself and his boys for a job well done. Now that his task of leading men from front is done, it's time for him to step back and make rounds down the line, taking inventory of men and supplies, reorganize his men, and identifying individual targets to be taken out. Holden looked up to the sky and made a silent prayer, hoping no fresh Yankee reinforcements would come and that Yankees' reformed line won't hold up again under stress from Rainbow's relentless advances.
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Quick Battlefield Accounting:

Gardner's Battery is down 1 Blakely and 2 Parrots, his reinforcing battery has 2 active parrots. A once over shows that the blakely can be brought back into action by doing some field repairs that will take about 20 minutes. The wagon train has stayed well out of the line of fire for the entire battle so far....

Runners for the 'colonel' find Bird, Fawcett, and Bates in their confusion with reports:

Rough Casualties: ~400

Rough Fit for Duty: ~1500

Comment

• Oh yeah, we need to reestablish our own chain of command. Is it still Bates? Or Fawcett? I'm not aware if Bird has been promoted to Lt. Colonel?

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• The Green Jackets take a short moment to reform and continue to march towards the Hill. The legendary-status unit only takes a few short strides to reform its ranks into a green wall moving with elan towards their objective...The fact that 30 NY and other Yankee unit remnants happened to be in the way is going to be the Yanks problem, not a Green Jackets one, who will use their firepower against anything trying to stop them.

Ammo is not going to be a problem. This is why the GJ supply wagon dumped ammo in their position in the sunken road before the battle. Beside, ammo is not the determining factor that will ends this fight with the Yanks' Iron Brigade...Momentum, grit and offensive spirit is.

LCol Bird ignores the message from the Badgers' CO and hopes that the momentum of the GJ will carry the NCGG and Badgers on his right flank and Finch on his left flank. No time to send messengers, the GJ forward movement should be enough of a message for them to carry on...The Yankee`s Iron Brigade, having withdrawn and retreated , and with rebel cavalry to their rear, and with no time to reorganize, should be ready to melt away in front of a Rainbow assault.

if Richter can pull his guns out of the sunken road and support the move, that would be a bonus.

At the sunken road, Cpl Ross, the de facto GJ medic, and a couple of GJ volunteers, are taking care of the wounded. The water left from the three barrels of water, brought in earlier with the ammo, is used to help deal with the wounded with empty canteens and needing water.

Capt Dyers, the GJ Adjutant, keeping watch on the battle from the hill in the rear, starts moving at a rapid pace on his horse, pulling LCol Bird and Cpt Frumm horses, and leading the GJ supply wagon towards the GJ.

Following the GJ wagon, another supply wagon carrying ammo for the Badgers. The two soldiers driving the wagon simply deciding to follow the GJ wagon before the supply train officer was able to stop them or give other direction.
                              Last edited by Capt AFB; 09 Jul 18, 23:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                                September 17th, 0940hrs
                                (Admin Notes: Gardner, I need to know whether you choose Accuracy or RoF for your Legendary Unit bonus. Finch and K, I need to know whether you choose Marching, Musketry, or Melee for your legendary unit bonus.)
                                Musketry - thank you.

Can I get a headcount for my unit ? I fear I'm dire need of reinforcements before we go into the next fight and once again it looks like I will be gone for the vital inter battle reinforcement phase...

I'll be gone tomorrow, and next week entirely - I'll be here on Thursday and Friday though...

High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X