Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruitment Thread for The Ionian Revolt

The Ionian Revolt-

The Greek cities of Ionia had existed for centuries before Persian domination. First under the rule of the Lydians before they were in turn conquered by the Persians. Having refused to revolt from the Lydians in favor of Persia, the Ionians too were treated as conquered subjects. The Persians found it easiest to control them by supporting local tyrants in each of their cities to ensure compliance. Further campaigns by the Persians into Europe resulted in the conquest of Thrace, but eventually events settled down. That is, until Aristagoras, the tyrant of Miletos, decided to increase his power. He had been approached by exiles from the Greek island of Naxos that claimed an attacking force would receive popular support. Aristagoras had not the men or money for such an expedition, so he turned to Artaphernes the satrap of Sardis. Artaphernes was also the brother of the emperor of the Achaemenid (Persian) Empire and after receiving his brotherís permission he provided Aristagoras with a fleet and army to bring Naxos into the empire. The result was pure disaster for the Persians. After a four month siege, Aristagoras was forced to abandon the operation. Rather than facing the consequences of his defeat, he reasoned that revolting against his Persian masters was the best way to avoid punishment. He quickly abdicated his position of tyrant and declared the city of Miletos a democracy in revolt against the tyrannical Persians. The eleven other Greek cities of Ionia quickly followed as well as a number of others including the most of the petty kings of Cyprus.

With war declared, the Ionian League needs allies and the most likely of these is Athens which is currently at war with the Persians. However, some of the other Greek mainland states might be convinced to overtly or covertly support the rebellion with the right promises. Another candidate for aid is Onesilus of Salamis. He is the leader of the Cypriot Revolt and brother of the former king who he deposed to spark the rebellion in Salamis. He has command over the large Cypriot fleet, something the Ionians desperately need.

Players will have an abundance of options in this scenario, but three main roles will need filled. Aristagoras leader of the Ionian Revolt, Onesilus leader of the Cypriot Revolt, and Artaphernes satrap of Sardis, brother of Darius I, and supreme commander of Persian forces in the theatre. After these roles are filled, players can choose most any role. Mercenaries with a retinue of their chosen type of soldiers or ships behind them, sub commanders of the Ionians or Persians, or even the ruler or chief of a third party to the war looking to get involved.

The goal of the Ionians is to achieve independence through military and diplomatic means. They will need allies in their fight, so diplomacy with other parties is essential.

The Persians seek to thoroughly crush the Ionians and return them to the empire. They too will use diplomacy through threats and bribes along with their armies to achieve their goals.

Economies will be abstracted to prevent tedious amounts of bookkeeping. I will work with each player after determining their role to come up with a period appropriate Order of Battle for them. Tactical battles will take place and player orders and decisions will be vital. Duels are also a possible feature in these conflicts. The game will definitely focus on the military aspect of the conflict, but role playing and diplomacy is heavily encouraged.

With that said, let the claims begin! Once the three major roles are taken, please post another preference. If your choice is a mercenary or sub commander please specify the type and nationality of troops you would like or pm me for help.

If you would like to be the leader of a third party group (tribes, city states, etc) post your preference or ask for assistance in choosing.

Persian Faction Leader Artaphernes:

Ionian League Faction Leader Aristagoras: Colonel Sennef

Cypriot League Leader Onesilus:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 18 May 18, 16:49.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Claims will be on a first come first served basis for the three required roles. Just post here and your claim will be noted.

Comment

As before I am intersted, my concerns are the same, I fear lack of time with summer happening, and the game running parallel to the other one.

So no leading role for me, but I'm always willing to sign on with a faction if they think they have useful employment for me.

Just let me know, if not I'll just follow your exploits here
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

With 1 game as GM and 1 as a major player already, plus expecting a lot of RL issues between work and remodeling, I don't have the time to take on one of the big roles. I will be a mercenary unit, however, possibly with greater intentions if time frees up?
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I have a preference playing Aristagoras of the Ionian cities.
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I prefer to be a mercenary commander.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Excellent. I’m hoping to get the Persian and Cypriot roles filled while working on OOBs.

Comment

I think I will take Onesilus. Naval Warfare should prove interesting. Does he get any Marines or troops he can put ashore? Presents (bribes) from both sides could be lucrative!

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  I think I will take Onesilus. Naval Warfare should prove interesting. Does he get any Marines or troops he can put ashore? Presents (bribes) from both sides could be lucrative!

Pruitt
                  Yes, he will get a regular army as well as a large navy. However, heíll definitely be lacking in cavalry since Cyprus is an island.

Keep in mind, he just banished the actual king who was his brother and declared a revolt against Darius I and the Persian Empire. So he is still part of the revolt, but not under the control of the Ionian League in any way.

Comment

If I get a chance to ask for certain soldier types, I would ask for Galatian Heavy Spearmen (mercenaries) and medium to heavy Infantry to hold a line for the missile/Light Infantry. Galatians fought in many armies even as far away as Egypt.

The options of targets are large. A blockade of Egypt and/or the Phoenecian ports of Tyre, Sidon and others could pay very well. My ships are open to the highest bid!

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      If I get a chance to ask for certain soldier types, I would ask for Galatian Heavy Spearmen (mercenaries) and medium to heavy Infantry to hold a line for the missile/Light Infantry. Galatians fought in many armies even as far away as Egypt.

The options of targets are large. A blockade of Egypt and/or the Phoenecian ports of Tyre, Sidon and others could pay very well. My ships are open to the highest bid!

Pruitt
                      You do have a small budget for hiring mercenaries after your regular army is formed. You can use this to hire player controlled mercenaries or NPCs. The boon for player mercenaries is they count as a commander and will grant whatevever part of the army they command a bonus. Specifically in regards to Galatian spearmen, they donít exist yet because the Galatians donít exist for about 300 or so more years. However, Thracian heavy spearmen are similar and an option.

A good thing to remember is that while your navy is large, the Persians have the navies of the Phoenicians. In order to institute a blockade, you would need to win several naval battles.

But thatís the right attitude to take. Profit from the situation in any way you see fit.

Comment

Player Stats

In this game, Iíd like to try out a new stat system to personalize your characters and give me a solid feel for their abilities. Youíll start with 30 points and divide them across 4 categories with a hard cap of 15 for any single stat. Your lowest stat must also be at least half that of your highest just so people donít totally neglect one area of their character. The command and combat stats can be increased as the game progresses with convincing wins in duels and battles.

Special traits may also be won or earned depending on a characterís actions.

Iíll need everyone to turn in this filled out character sheet as soon as they are able. Thanks!

Command-How good a character is commanding battles
                        Combat-Personal combat stat relevant for duels and assassination attacks
                        Diplomacy- Important for rolls when attempting to negotiate anything.
                        Admin-More starting cash and available cash to pay these men throughout the game.

Comment

Still need one player to command Persian forces.

Comment

Del,

The game sounds quite interesting. I understand that I first voted for the Ionian option, but RL has caught up since and my extra time will be devoted to the other game happening on a different thread.

If I can free myself later, and if there is an an option for me to join. with your approval and support from other players. I usually like playing the less known characters in warfare, if you see an advantage of doing so...For example, I could be a merchant that owns six merchant ships to bring supplies to troops or act as troops carriers. But it will be your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              Del,

The game sounds quite interesting. I understand that I first voted for the Ionian option, but RL has caught up since and my extra time will be devoted to the other game happening on a different thread.

If I can free myself later, and if there is an an option for me to join. with your approval and support from other players. I usually like playing the less known characters in warfare, if you see an advantage of doing so...For example, I could be a merchant that owns six merchant ships to bring supplies to troops or act as troops carriers. But it will be your call.
                              Youíre free to join in any capacity you wish when you have time. Just pm me beforehand so we can work out a role.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X