Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    With Tac and Pruitt choosing the Ionian Revolt, I’ll declare it the winner so I can write up a game proposal and sign up sheet. Stay tuned for a recruitment thread!

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    I would be interested in finding out more about this game. Would you be participating or running the game? Is there a website that lists the units being used? I know a bit about the period, but want to see what I would have available. It would be interesting to see whether Greek Slingers outrange Persian Archers, like in the Anabasis?

Pruitt
    I wonít be participating in the game, simply running it.

No specific website, but any historical type of soldier or unit in this period would be available for use. Iíll draw up a list with descriptions when I make the game thread seeing as the Ionian Revolt is getting alot of support.

Slingers do indeed outrange archers, but slings have a very flat trajectory and crush rather than pierce. Making cover more effective against slings rather than arrows.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    Ionian Revolt- Classical Greek history at its finest with two main factions and plenty of minor and sub factions. Game will feature military and political decision making, but economy will be kept minimal to make bookkeeping a bit easier. Hoplites and triremes will dominate the Greek side while the Persians will have an extremely interesting array of cavalry and medium to light infantry. While it is a wargame and military tactics are key, diplomacy may just win the day and grant you the resources you need to accomplish your goal.
    I would be interested in finding out more about this game. Would you be participating or running the game? Is there a website that lists the units being used? I know a bit about the period, but want to see what I would have available. It would be interesting to see whether Greek Slingers outrange Persian Archers, like in the Anabasis?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    I can take something on in a relatively minor role....

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    Either game allows you to choose your level of involvement. So if you want a smaller role with a small unit dynamic itís up to you.
    If that's the case, then Ionian Revolt.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    I got your visitor message, Delenda. If the game is anything similar to Rainbow ACW or Crimson's Rainbow (BattleTech) game in which I only play a unit and limited to episodic games, then I could be interested into playing your wargame.

If it's a large one, kind of like K's wargames, and requires a bit more thinking at grand level and involves large areas, then I think I'm going to have to decline the invitation to participate in your wargame. I don't want you to get disappointed with me after I was unable to do my part in Company Man's game.

I've found myself liking the smallish wargames like Rainbow and Crimson's Rainbow games, seems better suited to my taste.
    Either game allows you to choose your level of involvement. So if you want a smaller role with a small unit dynamic itís up to you.

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    I got your visitor message, Delenda. If the game is anything similar to Rainbow ACW or Crimson's Rainbow (BattleTech) game in which I only play a unit and limited to episodic games, then I could be interested into playing your wargame.

If it's a large one, kind of like K's wargames, and requires a bit more thinking at grand level and involves large areas, then I think I'm going to have to decline the invitation to participate in your wargame. I don't want you to get disappointed with me after I was unable to do my part in Company Man's game.

I've found myself liking the smallish wargames like Rainbow and Crimson's Rainbow games, seems better suited to my taste.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Just Ionian Revolt for me.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Alright I have fleshed out some of the workings of the Ionian Revolt and Warhammer Fantasy.

I’d like to narrow down to these two since I’ve put the work in and have a final vote of fantasy versus historical.

Please post here whether you prefer the Ionian Revolt, Warhammer Fantasy, or if you would play both with no preference.

Warhammer Fantasy- Fantasy rpg/hybrid wargame set in the warhammer universe. Emphasis on role playing, but players have the option of building military forces. Can choose between tons of different characters and build styles depending on what you’re looking for. Game is very elastic and can probably fit almost any ideas.

Ionian Revolt- Classical Greek history at its finest with two main factions and plenty of minor and sub factions. Game will feature military and political decision making, but economy will be kept minimal to make bookkeeping a bit easier. Hoplites and triremes will dominate the Greek side while the Persians will have an extremely interesting array of cavalry and medium to light infantry. While it is a wargame and military tactics are key, diplomacy may just win the day and grant you the resources you need to accomplish your goal.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Senorankka View Post
    With the Thirty Years War not being my cup of tea, due to not really wanting to play grand strategy game, I suggest following. Warhammer Fantasy Battle game with bigger emphasis on wargaming maybe in similar way as Rainbow games go and lesser emphasis on heroic characters. We build our characters backgrounds and then you give us X number of Y veterancy soldiers and Z number of points to arm them.

This way we can have the roleplaying elements and then the wargaming for the battles.
    Iím open to a mixture actually. Think of the tabletop games. Iíd allow a set amount of points dependent on what you wanted to do.

1. A regular human mercenary captain without magic or special powers would be able to field a small army.

2. An ogre chieftain would be able to field less because heís a stronger character and his troops are far stronger.

3. An even better example is someone who wants to go the hero/villain route. Vampire along the lines of Mannfred Von Carstein with magics that could summon undead would cost your entire starting points with no other troops or equipment.

So essentially your choices are a strongerand more numerous armed force or a powerful character. Iíd like to emphasize the extreme power of mounts and artifacts as well.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
    I might be interested in the Ionian Revolt.
    Do you envisage a scenario with a balance between negotiation / intrigue and actual war fighting?
    Yes, I definitely do. The scenario would give players both diplomatic and military control of their factions. Iíll give an example.

The city of Sinope could negotiate with a Scythian tribe for the purchase of their loyalties as mercenaries or an alliance. Or you could pardon a group of pirates in exchange for cash and service.

This is a would be my favorite scenario. The focus of my degree is on ancient history.

Leave a comment:

• Senorankka
    replied
    With the Thirty Years War not being my cup of tea, due to not really wanting to play grand strategy game, I suggest following. Warhammer Fantasy Battle game with bigger emphasis on wargaming maybe in similar way as Rainbow games go and lesser emphasis on heroic characters. We build our characters backgrounds and then you give us X number of Y veterancy soldiers and Z number of points to arm them.

This way we can have the roleplaying elements and then the wargaming for the battles.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    I might be interested in the Ionian Revolt.
    Do you envisage a scenario with a balance between negotiation / intrigue and actual war fighting?

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    One that might be fun to do would be the French and Indian War in the Americas. The units would be small, you could have French or British regulars, colonial militia, and of course Indian tribes. As most of the actions were isolated, these could played out almost independently of one and another.

The game could be a "unified" party where all players are on the same side against a common foe, or PVP with players on both sides. The first has the appeal that you can run any number of players and they can come and go during the game as they see fit to.

Maybe one with British, colonial militia, and friendly Indians versus the French and their allied Indians.
    While I do have some knowledge on the conflict, itís not something that I feel I would enjoy moderating.

After further voting, it seems to be down to either Warhammer or the 30 Years War Scenario. Iím partial to either to be honest. Any opinions? Iíd like to get the game started soon.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    One that might be fun to do would be the French and Indian War in the Americas. The units would be small, you could have French or British regulars, colonial militia, and of course Indian tribes. As most of the actions were isolated, these could played out almost independently of one and another.

The game could be a "unified" party where all players are on the same side against a common foe, or PVP with players on both sides. The first has the appeal that you can run any number of players and they can come and go during the game as they see fit to.

Maybe one with British, colonial militia, and friendly Indians versus the French and their allied Indians.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X