Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senorankka
    replied
    The next two months went uneventfully. Your still standing and operational BattleMechs participated in training the Lyran troops while rest of your company was still recovering from the damage or getting the new gear into service. Major Braunstein continued to act as your liaison while the training continued and he was bit annoyed that you didn’t take the Objective Raid, but this didn’t cause any problems in your cooperation.

Chief Engineer Karlsson managed to find a replacement arm for the Vulcan and get in back into working order. With no major refits planned, he managed to fix the AC of the Metallic Bride as it was breaking down constantly. Now the dropship was little bit more comfortable to be in. The Vulcan and the Demolisher were assigned to Lt. Chengs vehicle platoon. One of the tankers volunteered to try to learn how to pilot the Vulcan and with great enthusiasm the whole platoon participated in getting these new vehicles into service and teaching the new MechWarrior. With Demolisher nicknamed “Big Boom” and Vulcan “Lil’ Boom”, Lt. Zheng's vehicle platoon has now some serious firepower.

Lt. Hoffman managed to find few new recruits to fill the casualties he had received during the battle. While he didn’t get the medium lasers he wanted, he is still very content. The pay is okay, it comes regularly and the job is reasonably safe.

As the date to leave Timbuktu was coming closer, the few clerks and McSwain had their hands full. Supplies, provisions and everything else required was bought. The equipment was moved back inside the dropship with some difficulty. The dropship is going to run out of room shortly if new gear is acquired in large quantities. Captain Harding did order to unload his Black Knight and move it into the custody of 11th Arcturan Guards. He didn’t really give much of a reason for this other than “someone else is going to need it more than I do”. Several days before the contract ends, another mercenary company with Union-class and Leopard-class dropships arrived to Timbuktu. The rumour was that they took the contract of raiding the pirates.

Finally on 16th of June 3025 you boarded your Union-class dropship Metallic Bride and bid farewell to Timbuktu. This chapter of Crimson’s Rainbow closed with the rebuilding and training finished. The next chapter begins soon with new fortunes or misfortunes waiting the company.

OOC: 9908 words later the first chapter of this game is done. Hopefully you all had fun as this was a learning experience for me on running this kind of a game. I will try to put out the next chapter next week with proper inventory and whatever else you have at hand. Getting the more RPG part of this game going on next chapter will be extremely fun as will be the potential consequences you face with this contract.

Leave a comment:

• Senorankka
    replied
    OOC: I will try to update on Friday evening. You have more than a day before I check the concensus.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Very true on the Pirates. That is an attractive mission. Very straightforward battle of annihilation, with the certain guarantee that promised reinforcements will arrive at the end of the battle for the cameras.

I'm not for the 'objective' mission. I agree, 6 months, that means that there are either a lot more objectives or thheey're expecting it to be a bloody nightmare.

The cadre mission likely won't involve training his personal guard so much as it will be an operation of sorts. No one wants 80% of salvage and expects no salvage. That one interests me, but it certainly won't be straightforward and will likely involve some interesting work.

Leave a comment:

• Dashy
    replied
    Dashwood pulls at his whiskers;

"Had my fair share of poncy boys in my time, don't fancy spending a six month contract with one, whatever the benefits may be. Willing to go along, but I might spend more time sleeping in my cockpit than training entitled brats. Extraction sounds good in practice, but my Mech has no arms so someone else will have to do the heavy lifting. Objective sounds good, we can load a ton of salvage on this boat and I think our well maintained mechs can do a real number on the type of rust buckets those pirate types tend to use, I think we could smash the base, pick it clean and jet out. If we can take out the bases power supply we might even lift off with a few armfuls of whatever they are using to defend the place in undamaged condition."

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    I like the Objective raid, but the fact that it will take 6 months makes me wonder how many objectives there are here.
    Still, that's the best option, I think.

The Cadre thing looks nice, but the Secrecy clause isn't cool. They want us because of our Reputation, but they don't want anyone to know about us?
    That's just weird.

And yes, the Extraction is a non-starter, too much an go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    I vote for Cadre mission.

Leave a comment:

• craven
    replied
    one thing to remember is called shots with big guns a good way to put someone down or open a flaw in in armor. also called head shots with lrm launchers are nice because they do damage to pilot and sometimes you can get lucky and take out the pilot without destroying the mech

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    I think the Extraction Raid is a non-starter. Based on the brief we've got, anything that we have that goes down becomes salvage to the Free Worlds. I expect resistance would be pretty high and our standard would be to have no mechs or vehicles go down to damage. It's probably doable, but I don't want to risk losing a mech outright because it gets too hot to extract our own kit. I doubt we'd be able to hold the objective long enough to extract any salvage.

The pirate raid is doable. I think we have the power to take it on solo, and no I never expect friendly reinforcements, bad practice for a merc.

I'm interested in the Cadre mission. Having some political allies could be useful in time, and can help with a variety of problems moving forward, including our bank problems if he wants to retain the possibility of our services. I would want to verify that full maintenance covers breakage if we get into a fight on their behalf, that itself could be worth any loss in salvage potential. I'm also thinking about the infantry and that a combination of a little bit of salvage and some ready cash could let us upgrade them a bit more. I'd love to see them getting protected transportation or even powered armor to make them a more lethal force.

My one reservation with the Cadre mission is the 'special instructions' clause. No qualms with shooting pirates, but I'm not interested in starting or running an internecine war or bid for ascension.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    The Extraction Raid sounds the best and it is a short term in and out action. Best is we keep any salvage we acquire.

The Cadre contract is second best. Good Pay and a friendly political faction. Con is low salvage (20%). I am not thrilled with a Liaison Officer with long range comms.

Objective Raid is my least favorite choice. I don't like going in without backup. Liaison Officer? Salvage rate is attractive but we have to haul it offworld.

Sir Richard

Leave a comment:

• Senorankka
    replied
    “Thank you for asking Chief Warrant Officer McSwain. We have actually received several inquiries through ComStar after our recent action. It is known that our contract ends in two months and while we have a clause for another six months of training, it does seem that the Lyrans are content at letting the contract end to allow us to pick another one.

We have gotten three possible contract offers already and here are the summaries for you. Rest of the information is classified for security reasons. We are allowed to open the folder after we have chosen it. Frankly I do not like this secrecy, but these are the rules we were given.”

Captain Harding slides three sealed folders onto the table with few notes written on them.

Extraction Raid:

Anonymous Lyran Merchant wants you to raid a facility in Free Worlds League controlled world. This facility has something the Merchant wants to have and it has to be recovered in one piece. Intel tells us that the facility is lightly defended, but the enemy reinforcements are nearby and most likely will be involved in the fight. Except the mission to start easily, with the extraction being the hard part.

-Very good pay
    -Salvage is what you can bring back
    -Operational freedom how to do the mission
    -3 months

Cadre:

Lyran Noble heard about your action in Timbuktu and thinks that you are on level with SLDF gunslingers of old. He wants to have you to train his own personal retinue and help him to guard his estates. Should be an easy mission with future political benefits. The Noble asks for secrecy.

-Good pay
    -20% salvage
    -Liaison officer embedded to your forces with direct House command
    -Noble House provides everything from transportation to maintenance
    -6 months with special clause

Objective Raid:

Major Braunstein send this contract to you. He wants you to strike at pirate base located in Periphery in and search for more intelligence. You will be outside LCAF support and inside potentially hostile territory as the planet is independent with a local government.

-Good pay
    -Salvage is what you can bring back
    -Liaison officer embedded to your forces
    -Potential friendly reinforcements
    -6 months

OOC: You may choose only one contract. All of them are plausible to beat and succeed. I am not that evil to throw a unwinnable situation to you. Go discuss and think what would benefit you the most

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Chief McSwain ponders the suggestion. "The only issue with it is that four of our mechs have the same speed, while only two are fast. I'm not inclined to send our Hawk and Jenner out as a lone lance without any supporting fires. It would be different if we had 3 or 4 fast mechs. I think that for now we will administratively be a single Lance, but I intend to punch out our fast units as a 'fast wing' for scouting or flanking."

Chief McSwain nods as he's admonished for risking his mech. "Very well sir. I did need to show the youngsters that I could get stuck in with the rest of them. But I agree that Hailstorm is a bit light for wading into a fight with heavies and big mediums."

Listening to the others, he regards Dashwood and nods at his apparent experience. Turning back to the Captain "Are there any new contracts for us to go on?"

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Welcome, Dashwood. I am certain your addition to our company will benefit us all. My callsign is Rainmaker. I pilot the modified Phoenix Hawk you must have seen as you were brought here.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    (ooc- Wow, your really back? Its been a while!)

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
    "Tally ho lads, I'm a former crawler like this lass, however I've moved into mech-work. I used to fight for the suns but I've decided I can get more cbills doing Merc jobs. My Jenner can hit some speed, racking up to near 120 KPH, while still having the punch of 4 medium lasers and a SRM-4. I figure I can find our opponents and flank after the engagement has begun, so long as I don't have to tank too many hits, I don't fancy changing my callsign to arms and legs"
    "Oh boy, are we glad to see you. As you may have heard, our more mobile mech got caught alone in a tricky situation. Now... huh." A thought makes him look to the Captain.
    "Six mechs now, maybe that means a reorganization is possible? Instead of one large Lance, how about two lances of 3 Mechs each? I'm not sure how that would be for the Fast Lance, but the Hunchback has exactly the same mobility as our Warhammers."

Just a thought, its more of a casual remark than a serious idea.

Leave a comment:

• Dashy
    replied
    Dashwood steps forward, and the origin of his call-sign is pertinently apparent, he has two myomer legs, articulated like a raptors (or a CPLT for you mech-heads). He's an older chap, full face whiskers that barley cover an irrepressible grin.

"Tally ho lads, I'm a former crawler like this lass, however I've moved into mech-work. I used to fight for the suns but I've decided I can get more cbills doing Merc jobs. My Jenner can hit some speed, racking up to near 120 KPH, while still having the punch of 4 medium lasers and a SRM-4. I figure I can find our opponents and flank after the engagement has begun, so long as I don't have to tank too many hits, I don't fancy changing my callsign to arms and legs"

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    "Welcome aboard, Dashwood!"

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X