Crimson’s Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    You can count me in that group to. I've been part of Battletch (if not actively playing) since '85 (got the original box set then with the cardstock 'mechs and plastic stands--wish I still had it). I'm partial to classic, grudgingly accepting the Clan storyline (it got kinda munchkin-y then), but anything afterwards....well, "you kids get off of my lawn, dammit!" That sums up my attitude.

Not bragging, just letting everyone know that I'm not a noob about this, either. Far, far from it.
    OOC: Outstanding! You've been at that longer than I am. I first got into BattleTech when I got my first PC in 1995. I bought one of my first games which was....yup you guessed it, MechWarrior 2. I got that along with Wing Commander 3, another classic game. Since then, I played all battletech games.

One of my great regrets was not getting into the tabletop game as I was in college and had no time for that even after college was done. Would love to get into that someday.

I did read few Battletech novels, but as it was late 1990s, by then, the franchise had dozens of novels out already.

Today, I think in all, there are almost 100 novels, sourcebooks, technicals, etc. For anyone getting into the Battletech universe late as I am, it's mighty hard to keep all track of happenings and story plots moving along.

In all, I love BattleTech as I think it is modeled upon medieval times with feudal societies and shining knights on armored horses. In short, 31st century is the medieval age with futuristic technology.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I'm actually pretty new to Battletech. Dabbled here and there with the Mechwarrior series, but never really got into it. I can do research, however, so I'm a quick study.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Battletech does have a lot of good meat to it, and a long history.

Sarna.net is a good source for technical information. The new Battletech game is outstanding (though a bit different from tabletop play). I haven't played Alpha Strike rules for Battletech, but they appeal to me more than the classic rules, as I'm getting too old and lazy for bean-counting detail in games anymore. Though I still try to paint miniatures from time to time...haven't painted a 'mech in years, but I'm going to change that up soon.

But, we're dragging this game a bit out-of-character. My apologies.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Fragrant Flower will concentrate searching the NE and SE Quadrants of the advance.

Sir Richard
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

OOC: Going to update maybe tomorrow or Sunday as you have already more or less decided what you are going to do.

Also I should have made a post with your callsigns and what mechs you drive. I like your initiative on this.

Just like Cheetah said, firing all of your weapons/Alpha Striking is going to be quite hot and you cannot really do that quite often. That is why in tabletop and in computer you have to think what weapons to fire and when to maximize your efficiency without overheating. Of course overheating is plausible tactic if the situation calls for Alpha Striking the poor enemy into slag.

In terms of this game I will presume that when you are firing, you are going for this efficient use of weapons to get the best hits with least heat. So with Pruitts and Exorcists Warhammers, using the PPCs as main weapons would be my choice. Hammer the enemy to strip its armour and then go into short range to engage with Medium Lasers, Small Lasers and SRM6 thanks to them being the most effective there. This Bracketing Fire is highly effective.

Personally I am quite new to BattleTech just like Tac is. I knew little about BT previously, but I started reading the lore about year ago or so. I like these complicated and huge settings so delving into the lore wasn't that difficult. Jihad got quite silly so I haven't delved into the lore there. In my opinion the end of Third Succession War to FedCom Civil War is the best time period for BT as it has more or less everything without going into the silly stuff Jihad and Dark Ages have.

BattleTech is just so fun setting.
            From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
            Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
            "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

A lot depends if we go up that hill, or the enemy goes on the hill. Then we may have a close range meeting engagement.

Sir Richard
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I'm anticipating the enemy going on the hill. Hence we are getting that other hill to cover our flank from some fire.

Comment

"If they make the hill, though, they'll have superior firing positions--though it will also highlight them against the sky, making our jobs easier as well. My attempt to flank them from the rear should alleviate that and cause them to turn and divide their firepower.

Hopefully."
                  The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    "Long range comms are cut off. We can't communicate with our dropship or with Hoff and Dagger. So essentially we're on our own Slick." McSwain says. "Unless you're keen on running back to the infantry?"
                    If that was directed at me; yes, I know, that is why I wanted a Striker to go have a look. It can see what's out there and then report back.
                    I really don't see what else the are much good for.

Callsign: The Exorcist (yeah, I went with simple and easy to recognize)
                    Mech: Warhammer WAM6K

2 x PPC (autocannon, long range) Group A
                    2 x Medium Lasers Group B
                    2 x Small Lasers Group B (when in range)
                    SRM-6 (short range missile, 6 reloads) Group B

Looking at the map, I would hold right where I am. The enemy will probably peak over the hills with their legs still covered by the rise of the hill. That makes them harder to hit, but by staying still I have a better chance to hit them.
                    And a better chance for a head shot.

The variant of the Warhammer has 20 heat sinks, so not moving also keeps heat fully neutral.

I would also like to have the option to fire one PPC along with group B when the range is optimal for that (say about 7-9 hexes)
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Taking the initiative, Rainmaker turns his Phoenix Hawk south to flank the pirates behind the hill. Pushing his mech to the limit, picking off small clouds of dust behind him, the Phoenix Hawk accelerates and starts it flanking run.

Same time Scopes leads himself and Fragrant Flower towards the second hill with Dragon following behind the hill and The Exorcist staying in position. Moving with steady speed of 64,8 km/h they made some way before the pirates made their way up the hill.

Quickly Rainmaker noticed this as his cockpit flared into cacophony of warning lights and klaxons due to being missile locked.

Everyone heard the distinct sound of radio opening on open channel with a voice of older man starting to speak.

“Y’all better be listening or otherwise your lil’Hawk gets it. Call the Hawk away from us and we can negotiate how we continue this. How do you respond?

Peaking on the hill you see four different mechs that your mechs computer recognizes as following models; Catapult CPLT-C1, Clint CLNT-2-3T, Vulcan VL-2T and Commando COM-2D

The Map

OOC: This is the tutorial fight so I will give some advices. Rainmaker is currently within the long range of the Catapult's LRM15s, Clint's AC/5 and Vulcans AC/2 is within medium range. Scopes AC/2s are out of range and require you to be 200m closer to the enemies to hit. I will say this again as reminder this game will use 3 hexes = 100m scale so for example AC/2s have max long range of 24 hexes = 800m. This was quite short turn due to the pirates not shooting.

Comment

So much for flanking and scouting with a heavy scout and flanking mech. Sigh.

"I am willing to close in fast to get under the minimum of those LRMs. The ACs also have a minimum range. That Commando is their best short-ranged fighter, but is a light so won't take much damage. All but the Catapult can match my speed.

If I can get there fast enough, the Catapult won't be able to effectively target me. Or I can pull back and wait for someone else with more armor to become the nail.

Our Blackjack can begin covering fire for me either way, while our Warhammers can punish their Catapult, hopefully drawing his attention away from me. The Hunchback should close to short range and help me out.

That's just my advice. I'll await for orders from our commander."

Comment

Just to point out...if one mech opens up on me, I'm not going to sweat it. If two do, I should be okay for a turn. If three or more do, I might be piloting a crippled mech for the rest of this battle, or watching from my ejection pod if they roll some lucky hits.

They still have to hit me, and this mech isn't exactly unarmored (though it's still a 45 ton medium, after all).

NOTE: LRMs will spread their missiles out in groups of 5. So each group will do 5 points of damage (1 per missile). That is equal to an AC 5, or a medium laser. The Catapult's LRM 15s will do 3 5-point damage hits each, IF each one actually hits, for a total of 6 AC 5 or medium laser hits. At very long range, but with a minimum range as well. Each separate 5-point hit will be randomly allocated to a different location on the target mech. Unlucky rolls could group them all in the same area, which will be pretty devastating.

That is, if those are still the rules nowadays. Sorry to step on your toes if that's the perception, Senorankka. Just tying to get a clear picture for my lance-mates.
                          Last edited by Hida Akechi; 05 May 18, 09:11.

Comment

OOC: Yes, LRMs and SRMs spread damage to multiple parts of the mech due to how these weapons work. In the battlefield, breaking line of sight is probably easiest way to not get shot, but outside that being on move and using jump jets makes you hard to hit.

Getting hit by LRMs is not that great, especially as we are talking about Catapults twin LRM15s. The rest of the lance is quite light compared to you, but even then they can cause considerable damage. So yep, your idea how much fire you can take is accurate. Concentrating fire on single target is one of the most efficient way to destroy a mech fast.

Comment

"Our primary target should be that Catapult first."

Comment

"I'd suggest you turn around. Any other negotiations would be pointless and give you time to bring up your other friends. Tell you what, turn around and I won't add another Catapult to my collection."

On the unit's secure channel:

"Scopes, Rainmaker, get yourself out of there, jump if you can. I need you operational. Everyone else, close up, Dragon go for the other hill, get some cover and give them something to think about. Run in under the Catapult's missiles and we outgun the rest of them by a wide margin."

McSwain turns towards the catapult and accelerates to a sprint to cover the distance and bring his guns into range.

Comment

Working...
                                X