No announcement yet.

Crimson’s Rainbow - BattleTech Wargame RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Long range comms are cut off. We can't communicate with our dropship or with Hoff and Dagger. So essentially we're on our own Slick." McSwain says. "Unless you're keen on running back to the infantry?"
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

As you are discussing what to do, you notice few things. First you saw your Union class-dropship Metallic Bride taking off from the spaceport to avoid any damage from potential enemies and to position itself to counter the pirate dropships. Second your sensors spotted pirate lance coming to your direction with steady speed of 64 km/h.

OOC: It seems that you chose to intercept the enemy lances. This means that I will have to make the field map for you. It make take day or two depending when I have time. Sorry for not being clear enough, Crimson’s Rainbow does have a Union-class dropship and due to that Rainbow is in quite heavy debt.
      From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
      Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
      "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Dragon acknowledges McSwain's command over the Lance comms. Dragon's Hunchback moves behind the main line of 3 other Mechs in diamond formation (assuming that is formation we're going with given Chief's tactical plan) with Rainmaker ahead of them for scouting purposes. Dragon will perform a 180 degree visual rear scan of the field from time to time. All systems are a go, he has all weapons active for an alpha strike if needed. He divides the weapons into two weapon groups, 4x M-L is Group A, 2x SRM6 is Group B.

"Chief, I'm dropping back 200-300 meters to provide rear guard, call me if I'm needed. 200-300 meters are in optimal range of my weapons. I'm performing a visual check of the rear," Dragon radioed Chief. "Copy, over."

Dragon smiles to himself, "Finally. We get to see action for first time in 4 months. Man, this is better than sex." There's nothing quite like melting down a Mech and the pilot frantically pushing the ejection button, as long it doesn't happen to me, thought Dragon.
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

"Copy Dragon", McSwain says. He bumps up his speed a notch, just barely getting a few hundred meters ahead of the Warhammers as the lance moves out in an open-order Wedge behind Rainmaker's Phoenix Hawk towards the nearest Lance. "Move for high ground, we want to make our first shots count. A show of force will cause pirates to pause as well as killing them all will"

Comment

Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All Systems Nominal

Scouting ahead and trying to reach the hilltop, Rainmakers sensors flare up. With the hill obstructing the pirates, they have managed to move much closer than anyone could have predicted. There are still no sight of the second medium lance or the two fast lances, most likely due to the rocky hills obstructing them too.

Four distinct sources of radiation have been identified, but visual confirmation is required to see what kind of BattleMechs they are.

The first battle starts now.

THE MAP

OOC: The map and combat is scaled with the tabletop ranges. In tabletop single hex is 30 meters. I have decided to go with 100m representing three hexes. For example Medium Lasers max range is 300 meters with LRMs having max range of 700 meters. If you look at the ranges listed in Sarna, you can see that Medium Lasers have short range of 1-3, medium range of 4-6 and long range of 7-9. In this games scale that will mean 100, 200 and 300 meters.

The turns in this game are much longer than the ones in tabletop with single turn having multiple turns of firing in them. This of course depends on what you the players and your potential enemies are doing.

Good luck.

Edit. Small clarification. The hills block direct line of sight.
            Last edited by Senorankka; 04 May 18, 13:21.
            From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
            Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
            "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

"Alright boys, let's do this by the numbers. Move up into that valley between the two small hills so we have some cover on one flank, and wait for them to come to us. We want to keep them at range. Dragon, go for the second small hill, if they decide to rush over it, you'll be in ideal position to blast the first one with your short-range weapons"

McSwain swings and starts moving to the NorthEast.

"Remember, we're going to start off at long range, I want them half-dead before they get in close, no reason to sacrifice armor for nothing. And they probably know as little about us as we know about them, so let's not give them close-ups to find out"

Comment

"Copy, Scopes." Dragon spoke into the radio as he throttled his Hunchback to full max, moving at 64 kph.

Dragon will move alongside the base of first hill (where he is located now on the map), then as soon he reaches the end of hill, he is to move at full speed toward the second hill. He is using the first hill as cover before rushing over to the second hill.

Once he reaches the second hill, he is not to crest over the hill. Rather, he will stay at the base of the second hill. This way, he won't have to expose himself unnecessarily to the pirates if they were to rush toward the second hill. They would have to expose themselves to us, thus bringing them into my medium range weaponry.

Now let the steel dance commence!
                Last edited by Cheetah772; 04 May 18, 14:12.
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

OOC: Can we get the list of all players' callsigns and mechs? This way I know who is and what he is riding in.

I'll start with myself.

Callsign: Dragon
                  Mech: HBK-4SP

4x ML (Group A)
                  2x SRM6 (Group B)
                  Last edited by Cheetah772; 04 May 18, 14:11.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

OOC: That's what I was asking for as well but wound up having to get it from the GM offline....

Callsign: Scopes
                    Mech: Blackjack BJ-1

2 x AC2 (Group A)
                    4 x ML (Group B)

Comment

Callsign: Fragrant Flower
                      Mech: Warhammer WAM6K

2 x PPC (autocannon, long range) Group A
                      2 x Medium Lasers Group B
                      2 x Small Lasers Group C
                      SRM-6 (short range missile, 6 reloads) Group C

I can't say what is group A or B

Sir Richard
                      Last edited by Pruitt; 04 May 18, 15:00.
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Callsign: Rainmaker
                        Mech: Phoenix Hawk PXH-1K
                        -1x Large Laser
                        -2x Medium Laser
                        -1x Small Laser

"I will move Ikiryo to the southern tip of the eastern hill, and circle around behind our enemies as they make their way over the top. Once done, I will attack after our main group has drawn fire, closing the range on their most powerful unit to help take that out first. Unless I am ordered to do differently."

"If I am spotted, I will continue my encirclement and hopefully draw one or more into pursuit, where the rest of our lance can attack their rear armor".

"I will give the honor of the first shots to whichever one of you is able to take it. Fight well, mechwarriors, for our actions today will echo in the afterlife."
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

"Scopes, Rainmaker, watch your six, you'll be exposed out there"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            Callsign: Fragrant Flower
                            Mech: Warhammer WAM6K

2 x PPC (autocannon, long range)
                            2 x Medium Lasers
                            2 x Small Lasers
                            SRM-6 (short range missile, 6 reloads)

I can't say what is group A or B

Sir Richard
                            OOC: Firing all weapons at once rises the heat exponentially, this is called Alpha Strike. When are alpha strikes used? It depends on what you want to do. If enemy is within the range of all your weapons, and your heat bar is at zero, it may be a good idea to loose the first opening salvo. Otherwise, let the situation dictate when an alpha strike is warranted.

Having said that, in tabletop and computer games, weapons can be grouped according to your preference to reduce the heat from rising too fast. Most of time, it is grouped according to the range and weaponry type.

So you would go with:

2x PPC (Group A)
                            2x ML (Group B)
                            2x SL (Group C)
                            1x SRM6 (Group D)

Groups can be fired simultaneously. You do not have to follow my choice. For example, you can group 2x ML and 1x SRM6 as they both have similar range. 2x SL is better suited to melee combat, in some circles it is considered as a support weapon, meaning that all support weapons are fired after engaging in melee combat.

No idea if Sekkie agrees with this though, as I'm sure he will have to adjust the rules for role playing game here.

Feel free to ask more questions, obviously it seems Sekkie, Tac, and I are most familiar with the Mech universe. Good luck.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              "Scopes, Rainmaker, watch your six, you'll be exposed out there"
                              "Such is fate..."
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                                Feel free to ask more questions, obviously it seems Sekkie, Tac, and I are most familiar with the Mech universe. Good luck.
                                You can count me in that group to. I've been part of Battletch (if not actively playing) since '85 (got the original box set then with the cardstock 'mechs and plastic stands--wish I still had it). I'm partial to classic, grudgingly accepting the Clan storyline (it got kinda munchkin-y then), but anything afterwards....well, "you kids get off of my lawn, dammit!" That sums up my attitude.

Not bragging, just letting everyone know that I'm not a noob about this, either. Far, far from it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X