Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BattleTech RPG-Wargame Feelers

BattleTech RPG-Wargame Feelers

I have had this idea of sci-fi wargame of some sort for sometime. Originally I thought about a wargame in a sci-fi setting I have been worldbuilding for past year or so, but in the end I thought that pre-existing setting would be best for the GM and for the players alike. And after some pondering I decided to go with BattleTech.

The idea is to run a game which is mix of RPG and wargame with both parts getting enough attention. There will be more RP heavy parts with player characters working the plot forward and then there will be parts where the players duke it out in the field in their mechs. I will try to have the game to have as little numbers to crunch during the game to make it easier for those who are not familiar with BattleTech universe or ruleset and to make it easier for me to game the engagements. It can easily get into naval wargaming level of accuracy with the rules, too much work to deal with that.

The players would be part of a young mercenary company that has been rebuilding itself after few lost fights in the later years of Third Succession War. The players would be recent or semi-recent hires from few different backgrounds that influence the player characters skill set and plausible mechs to operate. This would allow me as a GM to balance things around the few players who get to choose their BattleMechs and what the mercenary company and nearby BattleMech supply has to offer. This approach is to prevent silly stuff like all Crab lance and to really emphasis the broken mech supply lines of 31st century and to have the lances to be different weight and weaponry.

This post is just to see how much interest is there among ACG for BattleTech RPG-Wargame like this. If there is interest, this game might (emphasis on might) happen and I will work and prepare the character creation and explain the game mechanisms more.

Any questions?
    From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
    Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
    "There is never enough firepower!"

I'm up for it.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Are you using "A Time of War" RPG rules?

And do you have a local Battletech group?

Comment

I have never played Battletech games before, but keep me in the loop.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
          Are you using "A Time of War" RPG rules?

And do you have a local Battletech group?
          I am familiar with A Time of War RPG rules, but I will not use them to play the game. More as a guideline. This is just so that there is little as possible number crunch for the players and GM to do.

Comment

Interested. Keep me in the loop.

Do you know that there will be a BattleTech game released this month on GoG.com? The creator of this game is the same one who originally created MechWarrior franchise. Check it out on GoG.com.

There will also a MechWarrior 5 game, the release is TBA. It is made by a different company. You can find a gameplay of Mech 5 game on Youtube.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Character creation draft

Crimson’s Rainbow was formed by Captain Matthew “Crimson” Harding after leaving Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces in 3014. Crimson’s Rainbow was first hired by Lyran Commonwealth and later by Draconis Combine. Crimson’s Rainbow suffered steady casualties and were nearly destroyed during fighting with Federated Suns and through company store policy of Combine. With Third Succession War officially ending in 3025 and having returned back to Lyran Commonwealth with heavy debt and empty roster he had a hard job of rebuilding his company or going into bankrupt.
              Player character creation will be extremely simple. Players are to choose their background from four choices. The backgrounds influence your characters skills and limits the BattleMechs available at start. In addition you need to name your character, choose your callsign and choose your BattleMech within the set limit.

-MechWarrior Veteran: Veteran with multiple years of service. Veteran knows how to pilot their BattleMech and has multiple useful skills thanks to their long service. Mech BV (2) limit: 1100

-Offspring of Successful Merchant: Being wealthy always opens doors, even to mercenary companies. While not being that good pilots, they have wealth to acquire heavier mechs. Mech BV (2) limit: 1400 and 6,5 million C-Bills

-Young Officer: Freshly graduated from MechWarrior Academy, but after some service decided to go freelance. Mech BV (2) limit: 1100

-Minor Noble. While wealthy and well connected, you aren’t always the heir to your house. Finding glory and honour elsewhere is popular for these Mech BV (2) limit: 1400 and 6,5 million C-Bills

Choosing BattleMech requires you to first choose your background as it determines your Battle Value (2) limit and possible C-Bill limit. This limit is to prevent players from choosing heaviest and best mechs available and makes the mercenary company to have more emphasis on Medium and Light mechs over Heavies. With the game starting in 3025, it limits the mech availability to mechs produced before that date. Only Offspring of Successful Merchant and Minor Noble own their BattleMechs at start, rest of them are owned by the mercenary company.

Following link is extremely useful as it has lists of what mechs different factions had in that timeframe.
              http://masterunitlist.info/Era/Detai...---renaissance
              And Sarna wiki that has everything related to BattleTech
              http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

With this we can make our fearless leader of Crimson’s Rainbow as example character. It breaks the character creation rules, but should give you an idea how this works.

Name: Captain Matthew Harding
              Background: MechWarrior Veteran
              Callsign: Crimson
              BattleMech: Black Knight BL-6-KNT

There is no hurry or need to create your character right now as this current system might chance somewhat, but this should point you to right direction. I might throw boon or two for well thought and written character later on. And as always, if you have questions go for it and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

Do you know that there will be a BattleTech game released this month on GoG.com? The creator of this game is the same one who originally created MechWarrior franchise. Check it out on GoG.com.

There will also a MechWarrior 5 game, the release is TBA. It is made by a different company. You can find a gameplay of Mech 5 game on Youtube.
                I am super hyped for HareBrained Schemes BattleTech game that releases 24th of this month. In addition we are getting MechWarrior 5 later this year and new tabletop boxed set. Definitely getting them all. Only problem is that how can I find enough time for all this and MechWarrior Online same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

Building a character can be really easy. Or you can take some serious time with it. But really easy works. I've got my character built and sent to Sen and approved. But then I'm not posting mine because I want you all to interact with him rather than have a full backstory......at least at first.

Comment

I am looking for a book that has the available weapon choices. Are our choices found in any particular book? The ones I see on Amazon look a bit pricey.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Sarna.net can provide a lot of information. That's where I got mine. You do have to do a small bit of sifting, but once you have the information you need then you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        I am looking for a book that has the available weapon choices. Are our choices found in any particular book? The ones I see on Amazon look a bit pricey.

Pruitt
                        http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page has everything you need for the setting fluff and http://masterunitlist.info/Era/Detai...---renaissance is very useful tool to see what BattleMechs did different factions have.

On weapons BattleTech uses Medium Lasers as their yardstick. In tabletop it causes 5 damage and 3 heat with weight of 0,5 tons. Single Medium Laser works as back-up weapon, but 4 Medium Lasers work quite well as secondary weaponry or as main weapons of light mech like Jenner. Some mechs "boat" large number of Medium Lasers as their main weapons, like Hunchback HBK-4P with 8 Medium Lasers.

Autocannons are bit strange as more damage they deal, less range they have. AC-2 deals only 2 damage per shot and having very long range compared to AC-20 dealing 20 damage, but having short range. AC-2 and AC-5 work well as fire support weapons while AC-10 and AC-20 destroy enemies more closer.

Short Range Missiles are extremely effective at short range as usually just few volleys are required to destroy the enemy mechs. They are a brawling weapon and with them light mechs can fell heavier mechs

Long Range Missiles is the main indirect weapon BattleMechs use. These missiles are fired in swarms. Both LRMs and SRMs do not deal pin point damage thanks to the missile spread.

These are the basic weapons different BattleMechs use. In addition there are small lasers, large lasers, PPCs, machine guns etc. With this game happening in 3025, a lot of super neat tech like pulse lasers and gauss rifles coming much later. This is a positive thing as it makes the game bit simpler.

Comment

And on types that will be reasonably able to be afforded within the scope of the game you generally have three types:

Scouts. Fast, lightly armed and armored, they're the maneuver element and the recon element.

Brawlers: They can be light, medium, or heavy, but they're principally armed with short to medium range weapons with enough power to do serious damage.

Fire Support: They might have and likely will have shorter-ranged weapons, but they have or focus on their long range assets like ER PPCs, Large Lasers, LRMs, or AC-2/5s.

I'm going for the latter, my mech can fight in close if it has to, but I'll be focusing on the long-range support role for the other mechs in a "lightweight medium" the Blackjack

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blackjack_(BattleMech)

Comment

-Minor Noble. While wealthy and well connected, you aren’t always the heir to your house. Finding glory and honour elsewhere is popular for these Mech BV (2) limit: 1400 and 6,5 million C-Bills
                            Sounds like about the way I would like to go, but I have always had a love/hate relationship with Battletech.

I love how you can design and "build" mechs and planes and vehicles.... I even got into warships for a while.

But I hate the way the game is skewed towards making Mechs believable and always wanted to go with vehicles in some way... but that seems to be outside the game here.
                            (and yes, autocannons are very weird here)

So, one man, one Mech, and no swarms of T-34 hover-tanks?
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

So, one man, one Mech, and no swarms of T-34 hover-tanks?
                              Yep, BattleTech is about big mechs doing big mech things. While land vehicles are neat, the game is about mechs slugging it out.

It is good that the game has all these vehicles and planes out, you can use them as enemies or as NPCs. Our mercenary company will most likely have a vehicle lance as support or fighting off map. Especially as in the lore Great Houses have a lot more combat vehicles and other vehicles than BattleMechs in their fighting, especially in Free Worlds League. Some of the vehicles in lore are absolute murder against mechs, like Hetzer with its AC-20.
                              Last edited by Senorankka; 05 Apr 18, 16:30.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X