No announcement yet.

Company Man-Restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks to be enough players to produce a game.

Tac will be using his old company, I will be doing the same, and Sen may or may not play.

Everyone else, feel free to post here, in character, your pitches for your companies.

Things your investors may look for include:

Who are you? Not just your name, but where are you from? You live in the Calvinist Netherlands, but you could easily be English or French.

What is your company’s name?

What is your plan to enrich yourself and your investors? Elmina (in the area) has been enriching the Portuguese through its gold reserves as well as trading slaves with the natives, but you could have anything in mind.

What do you plan on taking out there in the first voyage to establish your presence?

How much can your investors expect in return for their initial investment, and when will you pay your dividends?

Anything else?”
    Starting funds will be a combination of your own wealth and your pitch to your investors.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

I am Capitaan David Llewyllen. I have led men in the Dutch Wars. Before that I served as a First Mate on ships sailing out of Bristol. I am here to raise funds to start the African Company. I want to start a colony in the Eastern Gulf of Guinea. There are two islands there that may make a good place. There is Sao Tome and Principe.

I spent a number of years with the Cod Fleets in the Grand Banks. I met a Portuguese Pilot who described the islands I mentioned and drew me a good map. He said there was rich soil and good fishing. He also mentioned that the Portuguese sailed a Trade Convoy from the Spice Islands at least twice a year. I want to be in position to take some of these ships.

I figure that if we bring some Fishing Boats, some Fishermen, some Farmers and a ship's crew we can make a good start. I have contacts in Bristol among the fishing fleet, in London and in Antwerp. I also plan on stopping at the Slave Port and buying some Slave Farmers who can grow local crops. I figure we can make a good start. Portygee Pilot claimed there was no illness on these islands and they were unoccupied by Blacks. I hope to dry fish and grow some staples I can trade to any local Portuguese. My own Fishing Boat can be loaded on deck for the voyage.

I have a good cutlass, a brace of pistols and a Jack of Plate. I also picked up a 50 pound sack of Millet and another of Sorghum. I hear they grow well in Africa. I have some other seeds for Carrots, Turnips and some other vegetables. Also carried is a ten pound sack of Hemp and a sack of Flax. If I can I will ask for some crops brought to Africa from overseas. There is a supply of spades, axes, hoes and other tools. We will also bring some Goats, Poultry and swine.

I think I can recruit some carpenters and sailmakers. I think I can get fishermen and some able body seamen from the Bristol area. I want to hear a trained Blacksmith. We hope to hire some out of work Marines. There may be some Archers around Bristol.

I still have some more to figure out.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Investors listen to the plan, but need more information before they can pledge coin to the enterprise. When can they expect the repayment of their initial investment? At what rate will returns after the initial repayment be? How do you hope to conquer islands well defended by the Portuguese crown?

Maps of the islands of Sao Tome and Principe are rare and only somewhat accurate. Further inquiry confirms both islands settled by the Portuguese with both being central to Portuguese sugar plantations in the area and both claiming large slave depots at the ports. Because of their importance, the presence of warships and soldiers is to be expected.

Numerous ships are for sale in both Den Haag and abroad in England. These are what is known to be available, others must be specifically inquired after.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/armc...d-t20-s10.html

Look at the ship chart posted here by Khryses. It won't post over to this forum in its original form. The Rei del Mar and Groningen have been purchased.

There are also some known ships for sale, along with their asking prices. These work a little differently - you can make an offer for a given vessel, and it will be yours... always assuming no one outbids you. On the other hand the ships' owners are conscious of their own reputations, and are unlikely to reject one offer because of a new offer barely a handful of florins higher - I will advise you in each case whether your offer is accepted.

There are other ships too of course - but you'll have to send your agents out looking for these making offers, as they aren't known to be for sale.

Sailors and fishermen are ready to be hired, but await the arrival of coin from your investors. The purchase of slaves must wait too, not only for funds, but arrival in Africa where they can be purchased at acceptable rates. Prospective farmers and other colonists inquire as to the resources to be allocated to them in the colony and the storage space they will be allowed aboard ship. How much land will they be given? Is it to come with plow and livestock? Will they be given seed or forced to buy their own? Answers to these questions will determine the number of colonists that flock to the expedition.

Captain Llewyllen has access to his personal weapons and some starting coin from his prior enterprises, but, he yet lacks seeds, boats, farming implements, or livestock. Once captain Llewyllen knows the extent of his funds, he will be able to send agents to secure the purchase of such articles in the correct quantities.

(You start with your personal effects such as armor and weapons as well as a starting personal sum to use for your company. Once you outline the timeline for repaying your investors and how you will seize the colonies of Sao Tome and Principe from the Portuguese, I can give you the figure for your final funds with the addition of the investorsí money.

You can then make a list of purchases that you desire and Iíll let you know what does and doesnít fall within your budget. Please try to be as specific as possible with this.)
        Last edited by Delenda estRoma; 03 Apr 18, 19:43.

Comment

Count me out then.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            Count me out then.

Pruitt
            Why exactly?

Comment

Well if you'll have me, I reached an agreement with Tac to join his expedition as a 5th officer.

That'll give me a chance to see how this game goes, without having to start a company myself.

It will also not require much in the way of extra work for you, since Tac can just forward any updates and reports, or you can just CC me, whatever works best for you guys..

I decided to go for a semi-historical character, instead of making something up,

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_van_Ryhove

Ryhove was one of the founders of the Calvinist republic of Gent in 1577, and as such among the original supporters of the Orange rebellion.

He served as Captain of the Ghent militia, and in various other functions for the young republic, untill the fall of Ghent in 1584, an event he missed on account of a near fatal illness.

Historically he fled to Delft, and later to England , but for the purpose of this game I'll have him meet Captain Tac, and he decides to try his fortune in the colonies.

Though he belongs to a rich, ancient family of citizens, much of his property his now behind enemey lines, and short of a sizeable sum of money, he travels with nothing but his sword and baggage.

An outlaw wanted by the Spanish, he decides to go by his Christian name, and will simply be known as Lt. Francois.

In this rather famous scene you see him preventing his men from killing a Catholic mayor of a nearby town he captured, who happened to be a former friend.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/RP-P-OB-79.099

For my own reference, or those that may be interested, all in Dutch I'm affraid, since English sources on this particular timeframe are sorely lacking.

https://lib.ugent.be/fulltxt/RUG01/0...11_0001_AC.pdf

http://ojs.ugent.be/hmgog/article/viewFile/755/744
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 05 Apr 18, 08:45.
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                Well if you'll have me, I reached an agreement with Tac to join his expedition as a 5th officer.

That'll give me a chance to see how this game goes, without having to start a company myself.

It will also not require much in the way of extra work for you, since Tac can just forward any updates and reports, or you can just CC me, whatever works best for you guys..

I decided to go for a semi-historical character, instead of making something up,

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_van_Ryhove

Ryhove was one of the founders of the Calvinist republic of Gent in 1577, and as such among the original supporters of the Orange rebellion.

He served as Captain of the Ghent militia, and in various other functions for the young republic, untill the fall of Ghent in 1584, an event he missed on account of a near fatal illness.

Historically he fled to Delft, and later to England , but for the purpose of this game I'll have him meet Captain Tac, and he decides to try his fortune in the colonies.

Though he belongs to a rich, ancient family of citizens, much of his property his now behind enemey lines, and short of a sizeable sum of money, he travels with nothing but his sword and baggage.

An outlaw wanted by the Spanish, he decides to go by his Christian name, and will simply be known as Lt. Francois.

In this rather famous scene you see him preventing his men from killing a Catholic mayor of a nearby town he captured, who happened to be a former friend.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/RP-P-OB-79.099

For my own reference, or those that may be interested, all in Dutch I'm affraid, since English sources on this particular timeframe are sorely lacking.

https://lib.ugent.be/fulltxt/RUG01/0...11_0001_AC.pdf

http://ojs.ugent.be/hmgog/article/viewFile/755/744

Excellent character Snowy. Tac will update you on what your duties and assets are.

Comment

Current Roster

With Sen and Pruitt bowing out, we look to only be awaiting a reply from Cheetah. There is plenty more room though if anyone wants to join. As all purchases are public, here are the full loadouts of Tac/Snowy’s company and my own.

Robert Pittman-
                  Wheel lock musket
                  Jack
                  Basket hilted broadsword

Jean Gilbert (caravel)-
                  Tonnage- 65 tons

Guns-
                  2 Culverin
                  2 Demi-Culverin
                  6 Falconet

Cargo-
                  200m Fishing Net
                  500m Hawser Line
                  11 Matchlock
                  11 Espada Ropera
                  8 Halberd
                  38t of Foodstuffs
                  5 Axes, Hoes, Mattocks, and Shovels
                  Blacksmith Tools
                  Carpenters Tools
                  Surveyors Tools
                  Gunsmiths Tools
                  Half of the Seeds (Except the Indigo......Robert keeps all of that with his personal effects)
                  4 Oxen

Crew and Passengers-
                  12 Fisherman/Sailors
                  4 Soldiers
                  4 Company Officers (Skilled Tradesmen)
                  30 Men
                  30 Women
                  30 Children

2 Culverin
                  2 Demi-Culverin
                  6 Falconet

Enrico Dandolo (Galley):
                  Tonnage-30 tons

Guns-
                  2 Demi-Saker
                  2 Falconet

Personal Arms-
                  8 Halberd
                  11 Espada Ropera
                  4 Crossbow and bolts

Crew and Passengers:
                  12 Sailor/Fishermen
                  2 Soldiers (Including the Captain of the Guard for the company)
                  25 Women
                  12 Children
                  39 Men

Cargo:
                  6 Oxen
                  21 Tons of Foodstuffs
                  Half of the Seeds

The remainder of the goods:
                  Aboard Rei del Mar-
                  Trade Goods
                  28t Foodstuffs
                  1500m of Line
                  4 Plow, 4 Harrow

Drake Ash

The Freebooting Company

Rei del Mar-
                  Crew- 6 former convicts, 158 veteran sailors,17 veteran Welsh longbowmen, 75 veteran soldiers, 1 veteran captain
                  Guns-42
                  Class- Galleon
                  Length-43m
                  Tonnage-430 tons
                  Launched-1567

Guns-
                  2x24lbs
                  4x18lbs
                  14x12 lbs
                  8x9 lbs
                  4x6 lbs
                  4x3 lbs
                  6x1lbs

Groningen-
                  Crew- 24 veteran sailors, 24 commoners, 10 indentured women, 1 veteran captain
                  Guns-0
                  Class-Caravel
                  Length-20m
                  Tonnage-70 tons
                  Launched-1535

Soldiers' equipment-
                  sword, dagger, pike and (in one case) paired wheel-lock pistols and sabre. Their armour ranges from quilted to jack of plates.

17 English Longbows
                  1,700 arrows
                  32 Matchlocks

Comment

Thanks for the invitation, but the next couple of months are going to be busy for me, and I just found out it will be even crazier than expected.
                    Sorry!
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Closed due to lack of interest. I only have firm commitments from two players and that simply isnít enough to justify more work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X