Company Man-Restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Man-Restart

Hey guys, it has been a while. After this week I should have some spare time during the late spring and summer to run a full fledged game. Many of you are a part of the Armchair Colonel’s Guild and you may be familiar with Khryses old game “Company Man”. I reread the proposal and realized I still have my own character sheet and also realized purchases have already been laid out for many things and prices set for a number of goods.

I would propose a restart of the game with veteran players taking back their companies and new players creating mew companies according to the exact same guidelines as those the older players had to follow. I think we could pick up right where the old game left off, possibly with some new players. Is there any interest in this with Tac and possibly others volunteering as co mods.

“Game: In which a man of moderate-to-wealthy means living in 16th century Den Haag forms a company of investors and sets out to become staggeringly wealthy through exploiting the native resources of the West African “Gold Coast”. And several other men of similar circumstance (and wealth) end up bankrupt, dead, or simply lost in his shadow.

Setting: For almost a century the Portuguese trading post at Elmina has brought its owners wealth beyond the dreams of avarice – only the regular India Armadas that pass up and down that coast twice a year bring more wealth to the Aviz dynasty, but for now the Portuguese grip on the India trade goes unchallenged. The Treaty of Tordesillas has left Africa firmly within the Portuguese sphere of the world and no Catholic state would dare challenge the Holy See’s determination and risk war with one or both Iberian states. Protestant England is Portugal’s firm ally… but among the rebellious provinces of the Spanish Netherlands are men perfectly happy to tweak the Catholic state’s nose in pursuit of profit. Indeed for some of the Calvinist firebrands, it is only just that some of that wealth should be siphoned away to a worthier cause than maintaining a corrupt and repressive regime that opposes all they stand for.

Era: Age of Discovery

Players will take on the role of the founder and guiding mind of a 16th century company being formed to exploit the natural resources of the West African "Gold Coast", starting with securing investors and continuing through outfitting an exhibition, setting sail and the early years of the new company settlement establishing itself and sending wealth home to its investors. Who will grow to dominate the region? Who will be eclipsed by his rivals? Only time - and you - can tell.”

“The first stage of our little drama is The Pitch, in which each future company director presents their pitch to the prospective investors in a bid to raise funds far in excess of that which they already have. The more funds, the bigger the dream you can fuel, the bigger the expedition you can fit out. The catch is, your investors are going to want to see a return for their investment. After all, the rebel provinces are in the middle of a war for their survival - and that means plenty of opportunity for canny minds and big business!

So please post your (in character) Pitch, as though you’re looking for investors right here on the site (in the 16th century mind you).

Things your investors may look for include:

Who are you? Not just your name, but where are you from? You live in the Calvinist Netherlands, but you could easily be English or French.

What is your company’s name?

What is your plan to enrich yourself and your investors? Elmina (in the area) has been enriching the Portuguese through its gold reserves as well as trading slaves with the natives, but you could have anything in mind.

What do you plan on taking out there in the first voyage to establish your presence?

How much can your investors expect in return for their initial investment, and when will you pay your dividends?

Anything else?”

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/armc...hread-t20.html
    Yes
    62.50%
    No
    12.50%
    Maybe
    25.00%
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

I don't remember this game, but I will play.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I've never played this game before, so I'm intrigued, plus I've enjoyed playing with you as well.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Since you’re both new, you could get started on your pitches as outlined above? The pitch determines your initial funding based on how detailed and viable your IC pitch is plus a die roll.

The Dutch are at war with both the Portuguese and Spanish so privateering, trade, colonization, and whatever you can think of are options.

Comment

I found the game at the old site. I want to land a colony on Principe or Ferdinand Po. Building up a base here we can trade with the continent and build an agricultural base. We can also take an occasional Portuguese ship to help pay for the place.

While we will build up farms to feed us, there is potential to build some Sugar Cane plantations. The Portuguese and Spanish do not have a presence on these islands yet.

I think we can start in moderation and build from there.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            I found the game at the old site. I want to land a colony on Principe or Ferdinand Po. Building up a base here we can trade with the continent and build an agricultural base. We can also take an occasional Portuguese ship to help pay for the place.

While we will build up farms to feed us, there is potential to build some Sugar Cane plantations. The Portuguese and Spanish do not have a presence on these islands yet.

I think we can start in moderation and build from there.

Pruitt
            That’s definitely doable. If you could post an in character post at some point once this gets running, I can then give your character their budget. Then you can buy whatever you would require for your enterprise.

Comment

I'll be a Huguenot character who hails from Montpelier in southern France but is in Dutch Netherlands with hope of gathering enough interested settlers to establish a fiercely Calvinist Huguenot stronghold in order both to safeguard the wealth that Huguenots acquired even in aftermath of that terrible unspeakable day in 1572, and to flee religious persecution.

I'll have more details to share here as I need to research on Huguenots and what sort of skills they had that could be useful in establishing a colony in West Africa. I would imagine most were landed owners, businessmen, crafters, smithers, and maybe few wealthy farmers.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Those with trades and the tools or their trade will require cash to move to a new colony. In that link there are examples of the prices for a smith and his tools as well as other craftsmen.

Farmers and other normal colonists can be partly attracted with the offer of free land, but more if you offer to buy them animals, crops and so on.

Comment

Tac has agreed to take up some comoderating duties and play as well. Senorranka is also contemplating a return to the game. There’s room for as many people who want to play.

Comment

Is there a military aspect to this ?

I'm always up for a forum wargame, but this doesn't seem to be a war game, or is it ?

The theme is attractive though, since I live right in the middle of your proposed historical setting here..

You setting us up in Den Haag is somewhat strange though, it was a rather minor city, plundered several times by local Barons and rival cities, and even served as capital for the Spanish Army during the Siege of Leiden.

For a generic place to serve as mercantile base during the entire period look at Antwerp before 1585, or Amsterdam after, but in all honesty, there's no reason to not base myself right here in Gent

https://www.staatsspaanselinies.eu/e...ified-town.htm
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 Mar 18, 05:23.
                    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

K actually developed this game a couple of years ago, it just died the death of a lot of games on here. It's not a 'wargame' in the traditional sense, though you have opportunity and options to engage in military campaigns against both native tribes and European colonial powers.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I see, maybe a co-op then,

I feel little for writing a business plan, but if someone needs a field commander somewhere, just let me know..
                        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                          I see, maybe a co-op then,

I feel little for writing a business plan, but if someone needs a field commander somewhere, just let me know..
                          I might be able to work something out with you. Shoot me a PM and we can build you a character in Robert Pittman's Dutch West Africa Company.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Sure - won't be today though, Easter week-end coming up, but as I understand this game isn't set to start for a while,

so we have time..

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                              Is there a military aspect to this ?

I'm always up for a forum wargame, but this doesn't seem to be a war game, or is it ?

The theme is attractive though, since I live right in the middle of your proposed historical setting here..

You setting us up in Den Haag is somewhat strange though, it was a rather minor city, plundered several times by local Barons and rival cities, and even served as capital for the Spanish Army during the Siege of Leiden.

For a generic place to serve as mercantile base during the entire period look at Antwerp before 1585, or Amsterdam after, but in all honesty, there's no reason to not base myself right here in Gent

https://www.staatsspaanselinies.eu/e...ified-town.htm
                              Tac has the right of it, while not a war game per se, it does include plenty of military action. My company was actually founded primarily with combat in mind, but others may want to focus on trading or colonizing over the combat aspect. Though, in some cases the natives or European competition may not give a choice.

The setting and concept go back to K’s creation a few years ago. It was an extremely interesting concept, so I’m hoping to breathe life into it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X