X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
    "Major Holden" says Maj Bird with a smile, seeking cooperation, "Get a move on with your sharpshooters. We need this forest cleared of any enemy anyways to ensure a secure rear before launching against the Yanks."

"Once you hit the clearing, anchor your troops to the left (North) to let Green Jackets pass and able to shoot any any threats from the village.

"I am going to lead the GJ in three parallel company columns to occupy that big building West of the pier. The Badgers are going to be my only available fire support, if I encounter the enemy.

Maj Bird is concerned that no cavalry is available to screen his move. "Lt Dyers, get two soldiers from the ranks who know how to ride horses. Once we get outside this forest, they can take Cpt Frumm and my horse. Then all three of you will immediately scout forward to that big building."
    Major Holden nods at Major Bird, wondering how he got his surname, was his family full of birds? Holden calls out for his second-in-command and issues a final set of orders to get out of this cursed pine forest.

Major Holden's new orders:

1.) Badgers is to continue marching SE inside the pine forest in skirmishing formation, and staying well hidden from enemy sights.

2.) Once Badgers and Green Jackets reach the end of the pine forest, both units are to exit the pine forest at a quicker pace (double pace?), with Badgers anchoring the left flank of Green Jackets, marching toward the open field to the west of Carolina City. The march must be quick, pushing both Badgers and Green Jackets hard to get to their objectives fast.

3.) Once Hammer 1 is engaged with the enemy forces or if enemy forces are advancing aggressively toward Hammer 1 still inside the grove. Badgers is to stop approximately 500-600 meters from the city itself, to observe any enemy movements and open fire on whichever enemy unit is the closest. Make every bullet count. Target the officers first as always.

Major Holden

EDIT: This post has been edited to remove some orders after consulting with Major Bird via PM.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cheetah772; 13 Feb 18, 17:12.

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    Now, you're telling us there's no hope of seeing TacCovert4 in his shiny knightly armor riding to our rescue, and perhaps save Majors Bird and Holden from their untimely confusion on General Sennef's orders?

Darn it!

Major Holden
    "Major Holden" says Maj Bird with a smile, seeking cooperation, "Get a move on with your sharpshooters. We need this forest cleared of any enemy anyways to ensure a secure rear before launching against the Yanks."

"Once you hit the clearing, anchor your troops to the left (North) to let Green Jackets pass and for you to have clear sight to shoot at any threats from the village.

"I am going to lead the GJ in three parallel company columns to occupy that big building West of the pier. The Badgers are going to be my only available fire support, if I encounter the enemy.

Maj Bird is concerned that no cavalry is available to screen his move. "Lt Dyers, get two soldiers from the ranks who know how to ride horses. Once we get outside this forest, they can take Cpt Frumm and my horse. Then all three of you will immediately scout forward to that big building."
    Last edited by Capt AFB; 13 Feb 18, 16:33.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    Now, you're telling us there's no hope of seeing TacCovert4 in his shiny knightly armor riding to our rescue, and perhaps save Majors Bird and Holden from their untimely confusion on General Sennef's orders?

Darn it!

Major Holden

Not likely. I was thinking Curassiers to be honest.

Anywho......

Update in 12-16 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Senorankka
    replied
    Bates: break off from Hammer 1, turn NE to form the northern hook of Anvil. Your position will be at the left flank of R btty and the Rail Road.
    Bates halts to listen the orders given to him by on of the General Sennefs runners. After hearing them, he jogs to his Lieutenant and tells him the orders. Lieutenant quickly orders the company to follow him as they set north towards wanted direction, leaving Bates to see that no one stays behind.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Hammer 1: NCGG and Finch Continue with the original plan of Hammer 1: Break into CC and slam into 10 CT.
    The Grenadiers will continue to screen, while Finch battalion forms line and moves forward through the trees by company, trying to find the ideal distance at which they are able to bring effective fire on 10CT while still being afforded some cover.

As soon as Finch is able to bring down a sufficient volume of fire to supress 10CT, or at least draw the majority of its fire, the Grenadiers can regroup and prepare to cross the open and break into CC.

The actual attack is to be aimed to the left of 10CT into the houses that appear empty there, and done using the expert small unit tactics Trap has trained his unit for, using rapid fire, movement and individual cover to get into grenade range and occupy the first row of houses.

Trap is at liberty to halt, retreat or indeed push beyond the indicated line as he deems necessary to make full use of the abilities of his Grenadiers, or prevent them from being slaughtered in the open, should additional opponents appear to their front.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Feb 18, 03:49.

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    I've been keeping this out of the limelight, and to forestall questions "No, I won't tell you specifically what any given battle's 'stakes' are".

But battles have stakes. Outside of the obvious, the loss of men, capriciousness of finding recruitment, and the 'loot' that you sometimes get access to, you also have other stakes which you might figure out if you consider them hard enough.

For instance, at New Bern, failure would have permanently cut you off from any hope of getting a blockade runner to bring you those specialized weapons you all love so much.

Just giving you a tidbit..................I'll let you think about possibilities now....

Darn it!

Major Holden

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Food for Thought

I've been keeping this out of the limelight, and to forestall questions "No, I won't tell you specifically what any given battle's 'stakes' are".

But battles have stakes. Outside of the obvious, the loss of men, capriciousness of finding recruitment, and the 'loot' that you sometimes get access to, you also have other stakes which you might figure out if you consider them hard enough.

For instance, at New Bern, failure would have permanently cut you off from any hope of getting a blockade runner to bring you those specialized weapons you all love so much.

Just giving you a tidbit..................I'll let you think about possibilities now....

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Right, the RR embankment may be out of reach... but I would still like to try.

I will send a squad forward to have a look. I will also send runners to see how Pruitt is getting on, he may not have a chance to pull back before they are on him.

But that all depends on if those MA. men are coming forward. They might not be moving at all.
    If not, I should probably try for the RR. If they are advancing, the woods will have to do.
    You can get to the railroad cut. But it will take time.

Leave a comment:

• Frtigern
    replied
    The Tiger's will be hanging out in the woods waiting for the call in case these Yanks are too much for y'all to handle. Meanwhile, I have my men identify every rock and log nearby that is knee height and bring it to the line. They dig small prone fighting holes behind them and can come up to a knee and use those rocks and logs to fire supported against. It's not pretty but it keeps the men busy, protected better and shoot more accurately. Some men take to concealing their positions and themselves better. In the event the Yanks try to evict us from this woodland we fall back in four volleys. 1/4 of men fire, then make careful haste 100 m, stop and reload, then next 1/4 men fire and retire and so on.

Maj Leroy

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Getting through the forest, Lt Dyers reaches Maj Bird with new orders.

Maj Birds shakes his head. Capt Frumm reaches him and Bird gives him the note with the General's new orders.

Capt Frumm asks " So speed over stealth...Again!...Do we get the troops back out of the forest again and aim to reach South of the town as quickly as possible?"

Maj Bird knows that there is no better way to fret away the troops trust with their leadership with a series of orders and counterorders.

"No we don't!" says Bird, trying to hide the irritation in his voice. "We follow the skirmishers in front until they reach the open field."

Bird turns to the messenger "Mr Dyers. Go look for Maj Holden in front and tell him the Green Jacket will continue to follow him. He can set what he believes is the best route to follow the new directions provided by General Sennef. Come join me after that to tell me Maj Holden's intent."

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
    Central:
    R Btty: to NE edge of grove: open fire on 23 MA or whatever unit has advanced most.
    Right, the RR embankment may be out of reach... but I would still like to try.

I will send a squad forward to have a look. I will also send runners to see how Pruitt is getting on, he may not have a chance to pull back before they are on him.

But that all depends on if those MA. men are coming forward. They might not be moving at all.
    If not, I should probably try for the RR. If they are advancing, the woods will have to do.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    The Tarheels fire on the 23rd MA and cheat the horse holders forward a bit. We will mount and move SW when the Yankees move forward. We will halt and deploy again when we reach the Rail Line.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Deadline And update planned for Wednesday. Whether that'll be first thing in the morning or late that night will depend on work. I'm pulling 80+hours of overtime this month. Have your orders in.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Finalised Orders

Gentlemen
    Attached Map should give indication of your moves

1. Situation: Map see attached
    Enemy: 4 infantry regiments facing Rainbow, concentrating on the north, with at least one, perhaps more, following.
    Own: Rainbow in line, composed of cavalry, infantry and artillery. Though we're outnumebered 4 to 1 we stand a good change because of our quality, diversity and location.
    No reinforcements available.

2. Mission: Solidify Anvil; Execute Hammer 1 and 2

3. Execution:
    Commanders Intent:
    Now that the newly arrived enemy units have all committed to the North, we can continue with the original plan of Anvil and Hammer.
    Anvil: Hold the line using artillery against enemy infantry;
    Hammer 1: strike blow in enemy flank
    Hammer 2 strike blow in enemy rear.

Operation:
    North to South:
    Pruitt Fire on 23 MA. Take care NOT stick to enemy, keep freedom of movment, fall back in SW direction over RR.

Central:
    R Btty: to NE edge of grove: open fire on 23 MA or whatever unit has advanced most.
    G-Battery: continue to fire on on 23 MA or whatever unit has advanced most.
    Tigers, hold position.

Hammer 1: NCGG and Finch Continue with the original plan of Hammer 1: Break into CC and slam into 10 CT.
    Bates: break off from Hammer 1, turn NE to form the northern hook of Anvil. Your position will be at the left flank of R btty and the Rail Road.

Hammer 2: Continue with the original plan of Hammer 2: advance towards CC water front as indicated on map.

4. Logistics:
    Logisitics and First Aid post at where road exits western end of grove.

5. C&C: I'll be in Centre of Anvil.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 11 Feb 18, 16:46. Reason: finalising orders

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Major Holden's Orders:

Continue the march all way to the edge of the pine forest, staying hidden. Once they reach the edge, turn face eastward in skirmishing formation, again making sure staying well hidden with just enough visibility through the pine forest peeking out into the open field. They will anchor the Green Jackets' right flank when they face eastward.

Order all men to stay disciplined, don't make too much unnecessary noise, they may relax a bit and sit down if they desire. They may take out rations and canteens, if they want to. Although they may relax slightly, make sure they stay in skirmishing formation, ready to move out at a moment's notice. Have all officers inform their men of Major Holden's intents and Colonel Sennef's plan, hopefully they will understand what Green Jackets and Badgers are doing by staying hidden and seemingly cut off from their brothers in arms to north and east.

Should any Yankee unit march across our range, Badgers is to hold its fire until Major Holden issues the open fire command. Let's not waste this opportunity to stay hidden until it's absolutely necessary to open fire.

Major Holden has doubts himself on whether Yankees will attempt to march around the grove, thus providing us with ample opportunities to hit them back in their rear. But he has his orders, so there's nothing he can do at moment except hope that the god of war will grant his boys a great victory today.

Major Holden calls to him one of runners standing by and tells him to run off to Major Bird to see how he and his men are doing. He also wants to confer with Major Bird on when to open fire or to march out of our hiding place to engage the enemy. Let's figure out the correct timing because it is key to winning this battle.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X