No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 3, April 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tarheels fire on the 23rd MA and cheat the horse holders forward a bit. We will mount and move SW when the Yankees move forward. We will halt and deploy again when we reach the Rail Line.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
      Central:
      R Btty: to NE edge of grove: open fire on 23 MA or whatever unit has advanced most.
      Right, the RR embankment may be out of reach... but I would still like to try.

I will send a squad forward to have a look. I will also send runners to see how Pruitt is getting on, he may not have a chance to pull back before they are on him.

But that all depends on if those MA. men are coming forward. They might not be moving at all.
      If not, I should probably try for the RR. If they are advancing, the woods will have to do.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Getting through the forest, Lt Dyers reaches Maj Bird with new orders.

Maj Birds shakes his head. Capt Frumm reaches him and Bird gives him the note with the General's new orders.

Capt Frumm asks " So speed over stealth...Again!...Do we get the troops back out of the forest again and aim to reach South of the town as quickly as possible?"

Maj Bird knows that there is no better way to fret away the troops trust with their leadership with a series of orders and counterorders.

"No we don't!" says Bird, trying to hide the irritation in his voice. "We follow the skirmishers in front until they reach the open field."

Bird turns to the messenger "Mr Dyers. Go look for Maj Holden in front and tell him the Green Jacket will continue to follow him. He can set what he believes is the best route to follow the new directions provided by General Sennef. Come join me after that to tell me Maj Holden's intent."

Comment

• The Tiger's will be hanging out in the woods waiting for the call in case these Yanks are too much for y'all to handle. Meanwhile, I have my men identify every rock and log nearby that is knee height and bring it to the line. They dig small prone fighting holes behind them and can come up to a knee and use those rocks and logs to fire supported against. It's not pretty but it keeps the men busy, protected better and shoot more accurately. Some men take to concealing their positions and themselves better. In the event the Yanks try to evict us from this woodland we fall back in four volleys. 1/4 of men fire, then make careful haste 100 m, stop and reload, then next 1/4 men fire and retire and so on.

Maj Leroy
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            Right, the RR embankment may be out of reach... but I would still like to try.

I will send a squad forward to have a look. I will also send runners to see how Pruitt is getting on, he may not have a chance to pull back before they are on him.

But that all depends on if those MA. men are coming forward. They might not be moving at all.
            If not, I should probably try for the RR. If they are advancing, the woods will have to do.
            You can get to the railroad cut. But it will take time.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Food for Thought

I've been keeping this out of the limelight, and to forestall questions "No, I won't tell you specifically what any given battle's 'stakes' are".

But battles have stakes. Outside of the obvious, the loss of men, capriciousness of finding recruitment, and the 'loot' that you sometimes get access to, you also have other stakes which you might figure out if you consider them hard enough.

For instance, at New Bern, failure would have permanently cut you off from any hope of getting a blockade runner to bring you those specialized weapons you all love so much.

Just giving you a tidbit..................I'll let you think about possibilities now....

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                I've been keeping this out of the limelight, and to forestall questions "No, I won't tell you specifically what any given battle's 'stakes' are".

But battles have stakes. Outside of the obvious, the loss of men, capriciousness of finding recruitment, and the 'loot' that you sometimes get access to, you also have other stakes which you might figure out if you consider them hard enough.

For instance, at New Bern, failure would have permanently cut you off from any hope of getting a blockade runner to bring you those specialized weapons you all love so much.

Just giving you a tidbit..................I'll let you think about possibilities now....
                Now, you're telling us there's no hope of seeing TacCovert4 in his shiny knightly armor riding to our rescue, and perhaps save Majors Bird and Holden from their untimely confusion on General Sennef's orders?

Darn it!

Major Holden
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Hammer 1: NCGG and Finch Continue with the original plan of Hammer 1: Break into CC and slam into 10 CT.
                  The Grenadiers will continue to screen, while Finch battalion forms line and moves forward through the trees by company, trying to find the ideal distance at which they are able to bring effective fire on 10CT while still being afforded some cover.

As soon as Finch is able to bring down a sufficient volume of fire to supress 10CT, or at least draw the majority of its fire, the Grenadiers can regroup and prepare to cross the open and break into CC.

The actual attack is to be aimed to the left of 10CT into the houses that appear empty there, and done using the expert small unit tactics Trap has trained his unit for, using rapid fire, movement and individual cover to get into grenade range and occupy the first row of houses.

Trap is at liberty to halt, retreat or indeed push beyond the indicated line as he deems necessary to make full use of the abilities of his Grenadiers, or prevent them from being slaughtered in the open, should additional opponents appear to their front.
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Feb 18, 03:49.
                  High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Bates: break off from Hammer 1, turn NE to form the northern hook of Anvil. Your position will be at the left flank of R btty and the Rail Road.
                    Bates halts to listen the orders given to him by on of the General Sennefs runners. After hearing them, he jogs to his Lieutenant and tells him the orders. Lieutenant quickly orders the company to follow him as they set north towards wanted direction, leaving Bates to see that no one stays behind.
                    From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
                    Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                    "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                      Now, you're telling us there's no hope of seeing TacCovert4 in his shiny knightly armor riding to our rescue, and perhaps save Majors Bird and Holden from their untimely confusion on General Sennef's orders?

Darn it!

Major Holden

Not likely. I was thinking Curassiers to be honest.

Anywho......

Update in 12-16 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

Darn it!

Major Holden
                        "Major Holden" says Maj Bird with a smile, seeking cooperation, "Get a move on with your sharpshooters. We need this forest cleared of any enemy anyways to ensure a secure rear before launching against the Yanks."

"Once you hit the clearing, anchor your troops to the left (North) to let Green Jackets pass and for you to have clear sight to shoot at any threats from the village.

"I am going to lead the GJ in three parallel company columns to occupy that big building West of the pier. The Badgers are going to be my only available fire support, if I encounter the enemy.

Maj Bird is concerned that no cavalry is available to screen his move. "Lt Dyers, get two soldiers from the ranks who know how to ride horses. Once we get outside this forest, they can take Cpt Frumm and my horse. Then all three of you will immediately scout forward to that big building."
                        Last edited by Capt AFB; 13 Feb 18, 16:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                          "Major Holden" says Maj Bird with a smile, seeking cooperation, "Get a move on with your sharpshooters. We need this forest cleared of any enemy anyways to ensure a secure rear before launching against the Yanks."

"Once you hit the clearing, anchor your troops to the left (North) to let Green Jackets pass and able to shoot any any threats from the village.

"I am going to lead the GJ in three parallel company columns to occupy that big building West of the pier. The Badgers are going to be my only available fire support, if I encounter the enemy.

Maj Bird is concerned that no cavalry is available to screen his move. "Lt Dyers, get two soldiers from the ranks who know how to ride horses. Once we get outside this forest, they can take Cpt Frumm and my horse. Then all three of you will immediately scout forward to that big building."
                          Major Holden nods at Major Bird, wondering how he got his surname, was his family full of birds? Holden calls out for his second-in-command and issues a final set of orders to get out of this cursed pine forest.

Major Holden's new orders:

1.) Badgers is to continue marching SE inside the pine forest in skirmishing formation, and staying well hidden from enemy sights.

2.) Once Badgers and Green Jackets reach the end of the pine forest, both units are to exit the pine forest at a quicker pace (double pace?), with Badgers anchoring the left flank of Green Jackets, marching toward the open field to the west of Carolina City. The march must be quick, pushing both Badgers and Green Jackets hard to get to their objectives fast.

3.) Once Hammer 1 is engaged with the enemy forces or if enemy forces are advancing aggressively toward Hammer 1 still inside the grove. Badgers is to stop approximately 500-600 meters from the city itself, to observe any enemy movements and open fire on whichever enemy unit is the closest. Make every bullet count. Target the officers first as always.

Major Holden

EDIT: This post has been edited to remove some orders after consulting with Major Bird via PM.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Cheetah772; 13 Feb 18, 17:12.
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• April 5th, 0900hrs

MAP

South to North

Major Holden and Major Bird continue to bring their commands through the forest, finally reaching the edge. The forest is clear, with no signs of Yankee troops being in it. The officers glass the town, looking for enemy troops in the windows, but don't see anything yet.

Moving quickly along the open ground behind the grove, Bates' Irregulars make good time heading for the railroad cut where they can get into position. With the Grenadier Guards holding as an assault formation, Finch brings his battalion right to the edge of the wood, still an extreme range for effective fire, and opens up on the 10th Connecticut in the town. Despite the almost unadvisable range, the volley manages to cause significant visible consternation among the men who are not inside houses, many of them running inside buildings, and a few of them even going down.

Meanwhile, Major Leroy leans against a tree to take weight off his wounded leg while his men busy themselves with what minor improvements they might make to their position in a short time. The General's Saddle Blazers take their rest while the General sends runners to outline his orders for the evolving battle, Dee's Hussars also resting in their role as guards for the batteries around them.

Gardner mutters under his breath as his battery is lined up, wheel to wheel in the narrow lane. Firing case at the relatively short range of 700yds, he sees immediate results, with a couple of shells detonating in proper time on the first salvo, and improving in the follow on shots, tearing holes into the now advancing ranks of the 27th Massachusetts. Gardner also spots a mounted party a couple hundred yards behind the regiment, along with a long column coming out of the woods, possibly a larger regiment?

Continuing to exert themselves mightily, Captain Richter's battery finally struggles their guns to the edge of the railroad cut, now ready to move them into position and begin firing. Captain Richter observes Yankee troops moving towards him.....

Major Pruitt has his men fire a volley at the 23rd Massachusetts, but at five hundred yards the carbines are ineffectual. The result is merely a smoke screen in the wood showing that there are troops there. The 25th and 23rd Mass begin to advance deliberately, along with the 27th, though the 27th is staggered by artillery fire. Horse holders at the ready to move, the Tar Heels watch the distance close as the Yankee regiments sweep across the open field towards the grove.

Comment

• With the Grenadier Guards holding as an assault formation, Finch brings his battalion right to the edge of the wood, still an extreme range for effective fire, and opens up on the 10th Connecticut in the town. Despite the almost unadvisable range, the volley manages to cause significant visible consternation among the men who are not inside houses, many of them running inside buildings, and a few of them even going down.
                              Finch observes the results of his fire through his field telescope, and confers with Trap.

"Well this appears to be the edge of our effective range, it likely also means their return fire will barely touch us, and if you advance to my right you may be out of their range altogether...."

"I can obviously also advance and shield you further, or wait until you are on their flank and then attack from the front..."

Finch turns his attention to the part of town to his front that appears unoccupied...

"Still no movement there, I think this is your time Trap... ?"

OOC, I will leave it like this to once again give K. every chance to jump in and resume command of his unit.

If not I will order them forward myself just before the next deadline, tnx.
                              Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Feb 18, 03:43.
                              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Major Pruitt orders his men to mount up and head back to the Southwest where he will deploy again.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X