No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 3, April 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no, those are fine. I am avoiding asking for clarifications if possible. Any confusion just adds to the challenge.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
      "Now go find the General to brief him on my intent and ask him if one of the cavalry companies is available to come screen South of the village as it was the intention of the original plan. Questions?... Now go! My compliment to the general"
      General Sennef sends answer back: Compliments to major Bird.
      Proceed as planned.
      Currently all cavalry is engaged in steadying the 'Anvil' line.
      The moment they'll become available again, I'll send them south to you.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

OOC: Just remember that our Game Master says no to subsets of a company going off in different directions? It's too much for him, otherwise his mind would be overloaded and leave him somehow...absent-minded like our dear friends Major Dee and Colonel Facwett.

Now onto Major Holden's Adjusted Orders:

After listening to the runner sent back to me by Major Bird, Holden nods and says to himself, someday I have to sit down with Major Bird and pick his brain on how to employ tactics and understanding military doctrines better.

1.) Adjust Major Holden's orders to replace the marching position of our respective companies, with Badgers Militia marching behind Green Jackets.

2.) Badgers Militia will switch to marching formation in column rather than being deployed in skirmishing formation when they make the exit out of the pine forest.

3.) As Green Jackets approach the treeline of the grove (just west of the city), Badgers will redeploy into skirmishing formation and take position just south of the grove, with Green Jackets deployed on my right flank (to south) as it begins to enter the city from water front.

4.) As stated in the previous order, Badgers will stop at least 500-600 meters from the city itself with the intent of surveying the field and engage any enemy units by long range fire support.
        Attached Files
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Gentlemen,

1. Situation: Rainbow is now up against three infantry regiments, with perhaps more following, around Carolina City.

2. Mission: TBA

3. Execution
          Commanders Intent: as Rainbow is heavily outnumbered I deem it a bad idea to be drawn in a war of attritition in built up area CC.
          Rainbow will lose its valuable crack units and still have more battles to go.

* It is my intent to draw the enemy North, away from CC, and then unleash Hammer 2 in the enemy rear.
          To this end, Hammer 2 should be not visible to the enemy, lest he reinforces CC. It is imperative you continue your advance SE till the sea shore hidden in the forest!

* If the enemy infantry commander were to decide to flank Anvil via south, Hammer 2, hidden in the forest will be a very nasty suprise to him.
          Regardless what enemy choses: advance SE fully hidden in the forest.

Execution
          North to South:
          Tarheels on my command fall back a small distance SW to the railway in order to lure enemy in thinking that they can flank Anvil from the North.
          Centre all units continue to reinforce position 'Anvil' as planned
          Hammer 1 continue to move in covered fashion into the groove as planned but do not move further towards CC. You will become a southern extension of Anvil. Pose no threat to CC.
          Hammer 2 continue advance SE through the forest, remain fully invisible to the enemy.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 08 Feb 18, 14:20. Reason: Adding map
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Maj Bird tell Cpt Frumm to stop the GJ already form up in the clearing and moving East towards CC.

He trots to the Maj Holden's position.

"Orders and counterorders from the General, it seems. I'm looking to achieve the spirit of his intent, not necessarily the words in his orders. I'm not sure going back slowly trekking through the heavy forest is going to achieve much surprise, especially that we are already in the open to move more quickly to our objective. What do you think?"

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
              Maj Bird tell Cpt Frumm to stop the GJ already form up in the clearing and moving East towards CC.

He trots to the Maj Holden's position.

"Orders and counterorders from the General, it seems. I'm looking to achieve the spirit of his intent, not necessarily the words in his orders. I'm not sure going back slowly trekking through the heavy forest is going to achieve much surprise, especially that we are already in the open to move more quickly to our objective. What do you think?"
              Major Holden sighed, shaking his head.

"I don't know. Even if we stay hidden in this forest, we're too far to march and achieve surprise in time. I mean we depend on runners and riders for communication. The open space between this forest and grove looks like 600 or 800 yards, it's going to take time to march over that space.

But I'm no tactician, so I figure Colonel Sennef knows what he's doing. We should just follow his orders. If he turns out to be mistaken, then it's on him, not us.

Let's change our course and go back into forest and continue WE through the forest."

Major Holden's orders

Change the course and continue marching through the forest, staying hidden. Reach the shoreline and face east in skirmishing formation, still inside the forest. Send someone to inform Major Bird and Colonel Sennef of my intents.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Acknowledged!

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Deadline

I will be doing the update sometime very early Saturday Morning. Last orders need to be in by Saturday at 0000hrs EST.

Comment

I ride up to our General. "Sir, I do not believe that both batteries will fit within the space up ahead on this road without going significantly past the tree line. Might I suggest my battery head to the rail cut and deploy to fire in support of our troops from there and Captain Ricther's advance to support our troops from the road ahead? Or sir, I could deploy to that farm to our left and assemble works to protect our flank should the Yankees try to turn it.

(A battery takes about 100 yards frontage to deploy)

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      I ride up to our General. "Sir, I do not believe that both batteries will fit within the space up ahead on this road without going significantly past the tree line. Might I suggest my battery head to the rail cut and deploy to fire in support of our troops from there and Captain Ricther's advance to support our troops from the road ahead? Or sir, I could deploy to that farm to our left and assemble works to protect our flank should the Yankees try to turn it.

(A battery takes about 100 yards frontage to deploy)
                      I have 3 small cannon... okay, short ones. Maybe I can be a little more clever with mine, its time to send the horses away anyhow.

What I can do is move diagonally through the woods. We already know they are clear enough for me to do that. The question is, do I jig north, or south?
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        I have 3 small cannon... okay, short ones. Maybe I can be a little more clever with mine, its time to send the horses away anyhow.

What I can do is move diagonally through the woods. We already know they are clear enough for me to do that. The question is, do I jig north, or south?
                        If we can do that, then I would deploy across the road, and you move up towards the railway cut on the flank of Dee.

Comment

Maybe we could develop a plan to draw the 10th CT out as well as each other regiment one at a time? Won't have much time before the Union consolidates their lines and forms a considerable defense. If they think its just a bunch of militiamen trying to harass their supply lines take CC may be overconfident and counterattack us and as soon as they get in the open, cut them down.

Maj. Leory
                          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            If we can do that, then I would deploy across the road, and you move up towards the railway cut on the flank of Dee.
                            You can do that. Technically you both could. But Richter's hundred-man longshoreman gang would be a LOT faster about it. It will be slower than moving in the open, but not glacially so.

Just let me know if you're deploying as some sort of grand battery or with some substantial separation.

Note to everyone.....I won't ask for specifics in orders. If your orders are vague or confusing, then I'll interpret them as best as I can.

Comment

Let's go with that. I will move up the road and deploy between Dee and the Tigers, across the road. Captain Ricther will swing off the road behind Dee and deploy on his northern flank on the tree line facing out towards the rail line and Yankee 23 MA regiment.

Richter should fire spiracle case on a short fuze until the Yankees are under 200 yards and then switch to canister.

I will fire shot at the 10th CT if they take to buildings, and alternate that with percussion (impact) shell. I will switch to canister if the Yankees approach within 300 yards of the battery.

Comment

Educational OOC:

Got to ask some questions. How did commanders communicate with each other at regimental level in real life? Did they actually have a team of runners on standby to dispatch messages back and forth? Or do they just basically ride up to the other commander to confer on orders? Are the orders mostly vague or extremely detailed? I've heard that Grant was known for giving short and concise orders while Lee usually give vague orders? Is that true? What about signals? How useful were they?

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X