No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 3, April 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammer 1 is requested to leave the cover of pine forest immediately, cross the open field and move into the southern edge of the grove. Once there, its commanders have to make a judgment call:
    A. If there seems to be no enemy in strength in the opposite quarter of Carolina City, cross the open terrain in haste and break into CC.
    If needed: help Hammer 2 to break into CC as well. Turn north to take the enemy in the flank.
    B. If there is enemy in strenght in the opposite quarter of CC, stay in the edge of the grove. Hammer 1 will become for the moment the southern extension of Anvil.
    Finch issues the required orders.

Bates redirect your march upon the southern edge of the grove.

Delay your exit of the woods until the other companies have formed up and they can move quickly as a column.

Grenadiers, spread out to the front, alongside Bates, as discussed by PM.

As soon as Finch battalion is formed up and ready at the woods edge, move forward.

If the leading companies find the grove empty, they hold, allowing the rest to cross the open ground at the double, under covering fire if needed, and form line in the grove.

If the situation allows, soon as the battalion catches up, Bates and the Genadiers move into CC in the manner they see fit, as Finch battalion in turn provides covering fire from the grove.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I plan to move my battery as indicated to provide enfilading fire as well as direct support for the "hammer" as shown. Rifles work best with a bit of range. Right up close negates their true value. I will move such as to not interfere with the infantry's movement forward.

Happy with your analysis and I can follow your arguments.
      However:
      1. I am not sure if you will reach the spot you want to move to soon enough
      and can move away from it again easily and in time.
      Open road is easier and quicker to move on even if the distance is longer.
      2. Secondly I do not want ANVIL to be overrun by enemy infantry for lack of artillery.
      3. Your guns can reach targets 2,000 yards away, rifles can not.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        No mention of my group yet, and no real changes seem needed, I just have farther to go than we thought at first.

Richter's group will just keep using the road for quick & easy movement without wearing ourselves out. The forest looks like good cover to mask our setting up, we may even look like a minor infantry unit before we open fire.

We just have to get there.

Charlie Mike.
        Correct captain Richter, your orders were included in the group order (central element) to set up ANVIL. You can proceed as you indicate.
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
          Happy with your analysis and I can follow your arguments.
          However:
          1. I am not sure if you will reach the spot you want to move to soon enough
          and can move away from it again easily and in time.
          Open road is easier and quicker to move on even if the distance is longer.
          2. Secondly I do not want ANVIL to be overrun by enemy infantry for lack of artillery.
          3. Your guns can reach targets 2,000 yards away, rifles can not.
          But, if I move to the far side of that grove on the road I'm about 500 to 600 yards from the town putting me at a disadvantage. That's where smoothbores work best. The position I indicated is about 800 to 1000 yards from the enemy and will allow for good shell and case work, while the town is still just as vulnerable to shot.

Comment

You will get easily to the exit of the grove and from there you will be more centrally located, being able to bring out fire on practically any target that will present itself.
            FYI: In this meeting engagement I expect more Yankee reinforcements coming west over road or the RR for which I'll need your 1,000 yards range.

At your suggested location you may break a wheel or so while getting there or getting out of it, especially when in a hurry.
            What is worse you can only fire into the southern waterfront and the west side of CC, but you will need to relocate to bring out fire on the RR station and expected incoming reinforcements.
            BoRG

Comment

As the Brigade wishes. The battery is ordered forward along the road following the leading infantry units.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                This is my drawn tactical map in haste, indicating where I'd like Hammer 2 to be. Only a suggestion, awaiting Major Bird's input.
                OK.

Let's see how Hammer 1 deploys. I hope that at least Bates go through the forest South of the road to ensure that no enemy is lying up inside.

We can deploy South of Hammer 1.

My intent, with Holden precision long-fire support from right, is to move quickly with three parallel company columns and occupy (capture) the SW corner of CC.

Comment

I will be updating today. I'll make a post when I'm starting the update and cutting off any additional orders. Just making sure that people have time to make any adjustments.....
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Alright, update in progress......no new orders.....

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      Alright, update in progress......no new orders.....
                      AARRGGGHH! The tension of not knowing what is next!!!

Comment

Hint.....the map links live-update as I work......

Comment

April 5th, 0820hrs

North to South

Major Pruitt rides his men up and dismounts, the Tar Heels forming a line at the forest edge. Supply Sergeants just bringing their wagons onto the field are shaking their heads as a rider at full gallop comes telling them to send a wagon to the Tar Heels....with nary a shot being heard across the field.

Dee's Hussars also prepare a line at the road crossing. For now the Federal Commander does not seem particularly interested in driving them out. But a rider from the Hussars reaches General Sennef telling him that there are additional regiments on the road, while identifying the ones facing him as the 27th Massachusetts and probably the 10th Connecticut, both regiments in the 1st Brigade of the Coast Division that were at New Bern.

General Sennef rides ahead with his Saddle Blazers, not sparing the horses over the short distance. He knows he must quickly make a defense of the grove, lest larger regiments get into it and be a wall he must breach to recapture the town. (OOC Note: I've changed the Saddle Blazers to a Star, indicating both Command and General Officer's staff/guard). His men dismounting and picketing their horses, they also take positions on the edge of the wood, crouching in the underbrush as they watch the blue coated column advance out of the trees to the East, carrying the banner of the 23rd Massachusetts.

Major Leroy, slowed somewhat by his nagging wound from New Bern, leads his Tigers forward behind the General's cantering cavalry. Moving quickly, his men reach the treeline better than a half mile away panting. Dashing through the trees is much slower going, but they finally to the other side and find themselves beside the Saddle Blazers in line.

Major Gardner and Captain Richter both lead their batteries up the road, Captain Richter's battery getting a slight head start on the Major as he debates the merits of where to set up his rifles momentarily. Both batteries are reaching the grove....

Bates seems to be absent-minded for a moment, pondering the state of things and looking at the terrain. With Bates men not moving, Major Finch and Captain von Trapp start their advance, the Grenadier Guards moving out in Skirmish Order, and Finch's Battalion following in column as they pick their way across to the Grove.

Majors Holden and Bird maintain their formation together for now, and stick to remaining well within the treeline as they work their way Southeast. The woods are a substantial hindrance to Major Bird's Battalion, slowing the overall pace of march as Major Holden's Badgers maintain a skirmish screen in their advance as they move forward.

The shooting has not begun....but the respective commanders are becoming more and more aware of what pieces are on the board.

Map

Comment

Major Holden's Orders

Order men to march out of the pine forest immediately, continue the path as originally outlined in the previous order, stopping 500 meters or more before the city. Maintain skirmishing formation.

Send a runner to Major Bird, suggesting that we exit the forest quickly as possible to arrive at our objectives. We'll continue the original plan, except to pick up the pace. We need to arrive there first to prevent enemy capitalizing on the opportunity to turn our flanks.

Major Holden
                            Attached Files
                            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Maj Bird listen to the runner sent by Holden.

"Cpt Frumm, get the Green Jackets out of this forest. Set them in three parallel company columns and head East at a fast pace. We are heading downtown." yells the CO, so that most of the battalion can hear him and understand his intent.

Looking back at the sharpshooter runner, he says "Tell Major Holden to trade place with the GJ in his plan so that he fits between the GJ, on his South, and where Finch should be on his North. I'm heading East and then North, entering Carolina City from its South side."

As the GJ get out of the forest, Maj Bird sees Lt Dyers, his LO with Finch, galloping on his horse towards him. "Sir, the enemy has been spotted travelling West on the road of the City. Maj Finch Battalion and the Grenadier Guards are deploying into the forest moving East towards the city. We've lost Bates company during our move."

Maj Bird wonders what happen to Bates.

After thanking Dyers for the info, he explains what the GJ intent is. "Now go find the General to brief him on my intent and ask him if one of the cavalry companies is available to come screen South of the village as it was the intention of the original plan. Questions?... Now go! My compliment to the general"

Comment

Finch battalion, continue under current orders.

Small note, I figured the "grove" was the patch of trees nearest to the city, reading this I now think the grove is in fact the stretch of open in front of where I am now ?

At any rate I want to end up in that patch of woods with my battalion firing from covered positions at the 10CT (or any other unit revealed).

If at all possible - the Grenadiers then move one bound further into the first line of houses of CC, they can flank to the right to avoid the brunt of the 10CT, but mainly I want them use the small unit tactics Trap trained them for, and their own judgement to break into the town.

If need be Finch clarifies his orders to those concerned.
                                Last edited by Snowygerry; 07 Feb 18, 03:46.
                                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X